PDA

View Full Version : DELETED

August 29th, 2007, 09:25
DELETED

Bob
August 29th, 2007, 10:38
Here's what somebody did in 1999:

Driving From Thailand Into Laos (http://www.geocities.com/asiaoverland2000/Borderthailao.html)

Or alternativelly, you could google "driving car into laos" and see what else is available.

sjaak327
August 29th, 2007, 13:23
I wouldn't bother. It's going to be expensive, you are looking at a fee of around 10.000 baht, just to bring the car into Laos. Better fly to Udon, get over the border and hire a car in Vientiane, around 40 USD per day, they will throw in a driver at that price too.

August 29th, 2007, 13:25
It is common that care are been driven from Thailand into Laos and back. Check your insurance for details, regarding cover etc.

Check it further with the Royal Automobile Association of Thailand (RAAT). Maybe you'll need a carnet of passage. This will be issued by the RAAT.

Further details: http://www.raat.or.th/

Be aware that the cars will be properly searched for drugs etc, especially while returning to Thailand.

Driving to Nong Khai and use a local transportation to Vientiane and back isn't that bad advice, it would be hassle free and probably costs less. Apart from that, Laos is a pretty safe country.

August 30th, 2007, 09:33
DELETED

Bob
August 30th, 2007, 11:12
I guess I shouldn't have posted the url. He apparently can neither google nor read.

sjaak327
August 30th, 2007, 13:16
I wouldn't bother. It's going to be expensive, you are looking at a fee of around 10.000 baht, just to bring the car into Laos. Better fly to Udon, get over the border and hire a car in Vientiane, around 40 USD per day, they will throw in a driver at that price too.

What is the 10,000 baht for?

That's the fee you pay at the border, to be allowed to take the car into Laos, you also need a permit to bring the car into other provinces.

Too much hassle.

August 30th, 2007, 14:02

What is the 10,000 baht for?

That's the fee you pay at the border, to be allowed to take the car into Laos, you also need a permit to bring the car into other provinces.

Too much hassle.

Similiar like a carnet, you need a possible amount of import duty, just for any case the car is not to be returned (in one piece) back to Thailand.

It is really not worth the hassle.

Best is, flying to Vientiane and hire a car if you really are pending on own vehicle. I would do it since I don't trust much car rentals. Otherweise between Udon Thani central bus station or Nong Khai bus station to Vientiane central bus station opp. morning market there is a very comfortable direct bus line operating several times daily.

Arrange your visa before entering Laos. Visa preceedures at border can take up to 2 hours.

You can always rent a car with driver in Laos. It doesn't cost much more than driving yourself but it is a lot more comfortable. And hassle free.

sjaak327
August 31st, 2007, 00:09
^ Nah, never took me more then 15 minutes from arriving from the bridge to being stamped in. It depends at what time you arrive, but I have never seen more then a few farang, fill in the visa form, which you get at the counter, give them your passport, the form, photo and visa fee (it depends on nationality but for US citizens 35 USD also for most western european citizens.) Fill in the departure/arrival card, wait a few minutes, window will go open, you get your passport back, get stamped in.

Easy and quick.

From Udon Airport there are minibuses going straight to the bridge for 150 baht.

Indeed for the bus from Udon straight to Vientiane, you will need the visa beforehand, but I'm sure it's not any faster then doing it with the mini bus and taking a taxi to Vientiane, not to mention the time lost to get to the Lao embassy and wait for the visa (express service 200 baht).

TrongpaiExpat
August 31st, 2007, 04:11
From Udon Airport there are minibuses going straight to the bridge for 150 baht.

From the bridge too. I was there last year and was waiting for the bus with a group of locals and was approached by two guys who told me that there is no bus but I he had a car and I could go with him for something like 1000B. He was persistent, and then another man, official looking, in some sort of uniform came over and confirmed that there is no bus, never has been one.

They were no where to be seen when the bus arrived.

August 31st, 2007, 10:06
DELETED