PDA

View Full Version : Huge tax hikes on liquor and cigarettes

jinks
August 29th, 2007, 05:14
The Cabinet yesterday approved a drastic hike in liquor and tobacco taxes, citing a new government policy to reduce consumption and a much-needed reduction in treatment costs for those affected by drinking and smoking.

Published on August 29, 2007

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/08 ... 046937.php (http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/08/29/headlines/headlines_30046937.php)

August 29th, 2007, 10:31
This won't make the guys complaining of high drink prices in the bars happy. But what is a bar owner to do?

Smiles
August 29th, 2007, 11:09
" ... The Cabinet yesterday approved a drastic hike in ... tobacco taxes ... "
Good. The higher the better. ( Leave booze alone though :cheers: )

Cheers ...

August 29th, 2007, 13:21
From The Nation: 'Local cigarettes will cost an extra Bt2 per pack, while imported brands will cost an extra Bt3'

Huge? Drastic?

er... I don't think so!

August 29th, 2007, 13:44
... me since the government isn't going to waist this extra income on military, wapons or similar nonsense.

August 29th, 2007, 16:24
... me since the government isn't going to waist this extra income on military, wapons or similar nonsense.And your evidence for that is ... ?

August 29th, 2007, 16:25
DELETED

August 29th, 2007, 16:43
This won't make the guys complaining of high drink prices in the bars happy. But what is a bar owner to do?
How about taking a slightly reduced profit for starters! Most bars are making 100% or more profit on each drink.
For example - can of beer or coke in supermarket roughly 60 to 70 Baht, depending on make - minimum price in most bars 150 Baht. Enuff said ?

August 29th, 2007, 16:58
Most bars are making 100% or more profit on each drink. For example - can of beer or coke in supermarket roughly 60 to 70 Baht, depending on make - minimum price in most bars 150 Baht. Enuff said ?You are confusing profit with mark-up. The mark-up on the drink is 100% and this is the gross margin (sometimes referred to as the gross profit) on the sale. However other costs - rent, electricity, water and wages are the main ones - have to be subtracted before any sort of real profit can be computed. In a bar with few sales the owner might be making zero profit after paying his own salary, so what you are asking, really, is that he takes a pay cut
I think he's probably grown up sufficiently not to need people like you to make his decisions for him :idea:

August 29th, 2007, 17:09
DELETED

August 29th, 2007, 17:23
You are confusing profit with mark-up. The mark-up on the drink is 100% and this is the gross margin (sometimes referred to as the gross profit) on the sale.
Profit or mark up - whatever you care to call it - it's still exorbitant. The fact remains that the vast majority of bar owners are ripping off their customers and, if nothing else, if they took a slightly reduced profit/mark up it would at least be good PR, and might even increase their sales!

August 29th, 2007, 17:35
DELETED

August 29th, 2007, 17:35
The fact remains that the vast majority of bar owners are ripping off their customers and, if nothing else, if they took a slightly reduced profit/mark up it would at least be good PR, and might even increase their sales!Really? And your evidence for this amazing assertion is ... ? Standard economics states that where excess profits are being made, new entrants (assuming low barriers to entry, which is true for bars in Thailand) rush in, forcing profits back to the long-term average. What school of economics do you follow - the "pain in hip pocket, scream in anguish, put foot in open mouth" variety, perhaps?

August 29th, 2007, 18:05
Homintern, the description under your name says it all! :thebirdman:

August 29th, 2007, 18:15
Homintern, the description under your name says it all! :thebirdman:Perhaps you could add under yours "Copout of all Copouts"? Or "Ignoramus of all Ignoramuses"

August 29th, 2007, 20:38
" ... The Cabinet yesterday approved a drastic hike in ... tobacco taxes ... "
Good. The higher the better. ( Leave booze alone though :cheers: )

Cheers ...

A tad self centred commentary from "Smiles" but no less than one would expect from a tediously, opinionated old slapper! Protect your booze prices Smiles.....God knows you're useless without it!

Smiles
August 29th, 2007, 22:43
Try not to get over wrought aussieal. I only mentioned you name in one post, and that only in passing.
Good gracious, how would you respond to a really hot-on critique? (You're from OZ, right?)

Cheers ...

August 30th, 2007, 00:11
You are not just paying for the drink. You are paying for the entertainment and the ambiance the bar presents. Electric rent, salaries, police bribes, up keep of the bar,uniforms,costumes and whatever else it takes to put on a good show for the customer. Added to it the fact that many farangs do their best to cheat the bar out of their off fees, its a wonder we have any bars to go to at all.

August 30th, 2007, 00:14
Snowkat clearly doesnt know anything at all about the prices of beer and coke in Thai supermarkets (can of beer 30-40 baht for local stuff, coke 15 baht).
Nor does he know much about mark ups and bar prices.
Nor does he seem to know what is the going price for a beer in a bar.
Suggest therefeore he limits his future comments to other topics but with a hoped for increase in accuracy.

August 30th, 2007, 02:21
When i was in pattaya last june , i asked a bar owner friend of mine and he said the whole sale price of a bottle of beer was approx 20bht so that gives u an idea

Smiles
August 30th, 2007, 02:21
" ... Profit or mark up - whatever you care to call it - it's still exorbitant. The fact remains that the vast majority of bar owners are ripping off their customers and, if nothing else, if they took a slightly reduced profit/mark up it would at least be good PR, and might even increase their sales! ... "

In BC Canada:

Price of a single bottle of beer in the Liquour Store: $2.00 (and who knows what small price the Liquour Store buys it for)

Price of a single bottle of beer in a pub: $4:00 ~ $5:00
Price of a single bottle of beer in a nightclub: $5:00 ~ $6:50+

Same type of mark up everywhere I think, including Thailand. Specials, of course, can be had if one cares to look for them.

Cheers ...

August 30th, 2007, 07:30

Tell Uncle Somchi to FIRE UP THE STILL! :drunken:

August 30th, 2007, 18:50
Try not to get over wrought aussieal. I only mentioned you name in one post, and that only in passing.
Good gracious, how would you respond to a really hot-on critique? (You're from OZ, right?)

Cheers ...

I'm a Scot actually, I live in Australia, as if that's any of your business anyway! (Ya nosy old fart!)

August 30th, 2007, 19:07
[quote="wx40afp"]Your a Scot in Australia.

And what jobs did the Scots take.

1. Union delegates
2.Prison Officers[/quote

Ahhhh.......words of wisdom form 'her royal looseness' for your information I have been anti-union all my working life. I have never been a prison officer although I would be the first to apply if you ever get put away. I don't think they'd let me work in a womens prison though. Happy days and keep your legs together.

Wesley
August 31st, 2007, 00:46
Try not to get over wrought . I only mentioned you name in one post, and that only in passing.

Cheers ...

Yes, put the cigarettes out and leave the beer alone. No doubt Smiles can be tough at times but if you play on he playground you are bound to get into a argument occasionally. Its how you handle it that counts. If you let them know they got to you, then you become a target forever. Just be cool aussieal

August 31st, 2007, 10:13
Try not to get over wrought . I only mentioned you name in one post, and that only in passing.

Cheers ...

Yes, put the cigarettes out and leave the beer alone. No doubt Smiles can be tough at times but if you play on he playground you are bound to get into a argument occasionally. Its how you handle it that counts. If you let them know they got to you, then you become a target forever. Just be cool aussieal

LOL......I certainly don't lose any sleep over what I read on boards....thank's for your advice but I can assure you I take these comments with a pinch of salt. :flower: