PDA

View Full Version : Apple iphone in Thailand

thaiworthy-old
August 28th, 2007, 12:39
There was some mention a while back about the use of an Apple iphone in Thailand. I bought mine in the US when they first went on sale, on June 29. I have been in Thailand for one week so far and thought I'd share some of my experiences with it here in Pattaya.

First off, most the functions of this device work flawlessly. Of course, ipod video and music work well anywhere. I can connect to the internet with the Safari browser and get email. I am staying at the Ambiance and they have wi-fi. Once you put in your password, you can send and retrieve email without any problems and use the browser. At the airport, there are "hot spots" to find where wi-fi is available, such as those that broadcast from the various airlines' President's Club lounges. Only once did I have a problem retrieving email on the street, where no wifi was available. Another time on the street I found a "free" network and then could make contact with the internet, albeit slowly. In the US, AT&T's EDGE network provides this service. I don't know what you would call it here, but in the upper left corner of the main menu the letters "TH GSM" are displayed.

Most of the problems are found in the phone itself. For $5.99 a month, and $1.29 a minute, I can call my bf back in the US most of the time. When I first turn on the phone, it seems to take a minute to completely enable itself for phone use, but this is just a guess. My first attempt to call someone in the US after just turning on the unit are always unsuccessful with a dreaded 3-beep tone. So when I hear this, it means the call did not go through. The second attempt, just a few moments later, is usually successful.

Another call to the US resulted in the 3-beep tone when my friend's battery was dead on the Razor he was using. About half the time, I can leave a voice mail to anyone. Most phones are programmed to generate a voice mail greeting when not picked up after "x" number of rings. If the phone is not answered within these rings, it will attempt to roll over to the voice mail greeting. It is at this time when the 3-beep tone is played and I cannot leave a message. But persistence pays, and if you try often enough, you can leave a message. I don't know for sure, but it looks to me like the it might be a signal problem. Back in the US, I work on the 40th floor of the tallest buidling in Houston. I have similar problems with the phone from there, because, I am told, the towers that generate the signal to the phone is not designed to go that high. But that is not the fault of the phone.

In conclusion, I would have to say that the strength and proximity of the signal generated from cellular-broadcasting towers appears to be responsible for whether or not you can connect. I would have to say that I am satisfied with the performance of this device, and when they go on sale here in Thailand, some of these problems may go away, simply because the unit would be next-generation and probably more adaptable to use in this country.

Like many other things in Thailand, one survives better by adopting the infamous "mai pen rai" atttitude with these things. Once you know the quicks and how to get around them, the iphone's usefulness is brought well into focus. I am not at all surprised at these anomolies, since it almost expected with new technology such as this.

I hope this info will be found useful. If I lived here permanently, at the present time, I certainly would not buy an iphone in the US and transplant it just for use here. It wouldn't make sense. Sooner or later, these things will be worked out.

--Thaiworthy

August 28th, 2007, 13:37
How would you rate the touch-screen keypad? I think I would miss the tactile feedback I get from pushing buttons.

I read a computer magazine columnist speculating that the iPhone might not catch on in the key market it needs: youths. The function of a cell phone as a telephone is largely bypassed by the young folks, as they tend to SMS. And, for sending SMS a touch screen might not be as practical as pushbuttons. He said as a telephone (oral communication) and as an MP3/video player, the iPhone was a winner, but not for keypad input such as SMS. I wonder if he is right?

thaiworthy-old
August 28th, 2007, 15:32
The touch-screen is excellent and intuitively responsive. It is built into the software. When typing, a psuedo-keyboard pops up with access to all alphanumeric functions. If you type a non-sensical word because of a mistyping such as "phine" instead of "phone," it will suggest the correction and insert it automatically, negating the usual positioning of the I-beam to backspace and insert the correct letter. If you place your fingertip on top of a word, a balloon pops up over that word allowing you to move the I-beam if you do need to correct something. How can that be less practical than a keyboard? SMS works great. The only hinderance to attacting the younger market is the price, which will be lower as time goes on.

I cannot say enough good things about the touch screen. There is graphical and audio feedback for every action taken, usually a highlight of a button or key pressed.

It is my firm belief that this will become the next generation in mobile device input. The advantages are obvious. Can you imagine the impact of having a keyboard that becomes Thai script with the push of a button, if need be? The myriad of foreign-enabled keyboards I have seen-- contain both Roman letters and Thai Script, making it difficult to easily locate the right key. Look for many other manufacturers to mimic this development. It wouldn't surprise me if the iMac itself took this to a whole new level as well. What do you think is really behind that new glossy screen in the most recent release of iMacs? If I were Steve Jobs, I might install it as a touch-screen now, and market it as such with the next generation of the operating system, later. Who knows? To be honest, I do love to speculate! In 5 years time, conventional keyboards could become a thing of the past altogether.

As far as I'm concerned, Apple truly is the leader in innovation.

For more information, just go to the Apple web site.

--Thaiworthy

August 28th, 2007, 18:42
Phone to be Thai MyPhone? -

BangkokPost.com, with background from dpa in Singapore

An American teenager has written a software application that unlocks the iPhone restrictions, meaning the spiffy new phones could soon be on sale in Thai malls. At the moment, Apple Inc has installed hardware in the iPhone that seeks to limit use of the much hyped cellphone to the AT&T network in the US. But a story in MacNewsWorld reported Friday that a hacker has bypassed that protection.

If the story pans out - and there seems to be strong proof that the iPhone protection has been bypassed - that would open the iPhone for use on any phone network, including in Thailand.

The still somewhat complicated hack would also allow the phone to be used on networks in countries outside the US.

Thai technicians already are expert at making phones designed for US-based CDMA networks function on the GSM networks in this country.

The development could represent a serious blow to the US phone giant AT&T, which had been hoping to leverage the popularity of the sexy new phone into a dominant position in the US market. But they failed to take into account 17-year-old George Hotz, and his desire to use the phone on the T-Mobile network.
Hotz posted details of the 10-step hack on his blog and also a video of the procedure on YouTube. The video has already been viewed more than 130,000 times.

"My iPhone works with T-Mobile now, and that's all I ever wanted," Hotz told MacNewsWorld, adding that it had taken him about 500 hours to figure out the workaround.

Hotz reportedly began working on the project on June 29, the day the iPhone was released, along with four other online collaborators. Working 8 to 10 hours a day, he finally distilled his efforts into a two-hour process that involves both soldering and software skills.

"I'm sorry about how hard (these instructions) are to follow, but someone will get them to work, and simplify them, and simplify them more," Hotz wrote on his blog. "Hopefully a software unlock will be found in the near future."

"I think this is a great thing for users," Hotz said. "What I want is for people to be able to buy an iPhone, unlock it and use it."

bkkguy
August 28th, 2007, 20:43
Another time on the street I found a "free" network and then could make contact with the internet, albeit slowly. In the US, AT&T's EDGE network provides this service. I don't know what you would call it here, but in the upper left corner of the main menu the letters "TH GSM" are displayed.

I don't know what others here may call it, but I certainly wouldn't call it "free" - your roaming GPRS bill may be a "pleasant" surprise when you get home

bkkguy

thaiworthy-old
October 21st, 2007, 09:37
While it is true you can buy "cracked" software that allows the i-phone to use virtually any provider, Apple routinely issues updates to its i-phone operating system. This will require you to get updates for the "cracked" versions as well, if you wish to keep up with spiffy new feature additions in the future. That is, if you can find the "cracked" updates at all.

The bill came for my i-phone use in Thailand for 2 weeks late Aug. thru early Sept. There were approx. $215 worth of legitimate calls to the US, and another $175 for email and text messaging. I used wi-fi exclusively, but as it turns out, the i-phone will use whatever signal it finds is the strongest, whether from wi-fi or a public network. Apparently the Ambiance Hotel wi-fi was not as strong as could be found elsewhere, hence the charges. An obvious bug. Apple issued an update recently that fixes this problem. AT&T obligingly credited me for all of my email and messaging downloads.

Another reason to use legitimate software.