PDA

View Full Version : Prescription Glasses

August 28th, 2007, 11:30
Could anyone advise me of somewhere in Pattaya where i could have my eyes tested and perhaps new glasses issued.To have this done in N.Z.is extremely expensive.I thought if i could make a good saving,i could perhaps afford a few extra offs.Thanks in anticipation.

August 28th, 2007, 11:33
There is an optician's shop in Royal Garden Plaza (don't know the name), 1st floor I seem to remember, who do eye tests and prescription glasses. I got a pair of prescription sun-glasses there about 4 years ago at a quite reasonable price.

August 28th, 2007, 11:39
Find a shop that is not in the tourist area. They are cheaper. In July, I got a nice set of glasses with designer japanese frames at a shop in Bangkok that was recommended to me. I brought my own perscription copy. The glasses were $134 US. Same glasses in US would cost me $400 +

August 28th, 2007, 14:10
Just walk along the bath bus row direction Jomtien and along the school grounds. Soon after you will see at left on the same road side a blue (I thing "Beautiful")" optician sign.
This good looking optician is openly gay, very friendly and knows his job well.
And his is willing to offer best value for money.

He likes BoyzTown. Just invite him for a drink and have a chat. He can be an excellent source or informations ...

August 28th, 2007, 17:25
Find a shop that is not in the tourist area. They are cheaper. In July, I got a nice set of glasses with designer japanese frames at a shop in Bangkok that was recommended to me. I brought my own perscription copy. The glasses were $134 US.
$134 is expensive, especially if you have provided your own prescription!!

My prescription sunglasses at the shop in Royal Garden cost me 3200 Baht (approx $85 US at the exchange rate at the time) and that was with the eye test included. The frames were not a top of the range brand but were stylish and perfectly adequate (and still are 4 years later).

adman5000
August 28th, 2007, 17:29
Can you advise the name or location of the place in BKK as the one I previously used closed. I bought my last several pair of glasses in Thailand and it was much cheaper than US.

August 28th, 2007, 18:34
I have been using the same guy since 1994 when I lost a lens in Bangkok. I have had several pairs of glasses from him as has a friend and all have been satisfactory. I compared his prices with various shops in MBK and he came out a Best Buy!

Mr Somchok, Manager, Optic Square, Central World Plaza 02 613 1030 - it's on the second floor by B2S bookshop. Eye tests are free - they have a very sophisticated computerized machine. They are part of a small chain of about 14 branches.

I currently have some Tag Heuer frames which are a bit pricey but smart and a delight to wear. They are tungsten and have no hinges but were pricey at about 12,000 baht with the lenses. I have plastic varifocals tinted blue - many friends have since bought blue tinted sexy-specs.

jinks
August 28th, 2007, 20:20
many friends have since bought blue tinted sexy-specs.

Then they are in the 60s mood.....DFF...

Dedicated Followers of Fashion.

You, if follows, are Leader of the Gang..

I wanna be in your gang your gang your gang etc etc

August 28th, 2007, 21:18
I wanna be in your gang your gang your gang etc etc
Don't say that out loud! Someone might think you want to join Gary Glitter chasing after under-age kids :geek: :cheers:

alipatt-old
August 29th, 2007, 00:50
I have purchased glasses 3 times in the last 3 years from Thailand ( the middle time replacements for a chip ) The first pair I purchased were not great and i found that I had a stygmatisim that had not been taken into account when dispensing. The Optition in NZ said that this was so I could receive STOCK glasses.

The second time I had an eye test in Auckland and took a prescription with me - much better result.

jinks
August 29th, 2007, 01:00
Don't say that out loud! Someone might think you want to join Gary Glitter chasing after under-age kids :geek: :cheers:

Heaven forbid.... chase little girls :cyclopsani:

August 29th, 2007, 09:43
The place I went is called BOSTON OPTICAL. its at the On Nut exit from BTS.. right across the street from the Carrefour store. And despite what the other guy said.. $135 is a VERY good price for my HIGH Correction prescription plus stigmatism. Included the new Thinner plastic lens with scratch resistance and fashionable japanese frames. The frames alone would be over $200 in the US.

August 29th, 2007, 10:33
My American friend gets his bi-focal glasses at Big C on Suhkumvit. He says they do a great job and are inexpensive.

August 29th, 2007, 16:12
try the "beautiful optical" outlet on second road just across the entrance to boys town (green / yellow logo / signage). friendly, good selection, ok price. have just gotten my glasses there. free eye test, as everywhere, etc.

billyhouston
August 30th, 2007, 05:02
I use Paris Miki in Siam Centre. They are also to be found in Isetan (surprise, they are a Japanese company) and Siam Paragon. Big savings to be had over UK prices, especially on varifocal, high refractive index (thin) lenses. I pay about a third of UK prices.

August 30th, 2007, 17:04
You always get what you pay for. Well, mostly.
The 'free' eye tests you are so happy to receive will be the most basic. Not taking into consideration many variables.
The automatic eye tester thing is not recommended by eye doctors. It is for people without know how to really test eyes.
Buyer beware as in anything.

August 30th, 2007, 17:45
You always get what you pay for. Well, mostly.
The 'free' eye tests you are so happy to receive will be the most basic. Not taking into consideration many variables.
The automatic eye tester thing is not recommended by eye doctors. It is for people without know how to really test eyes.
Buyer beware as in anything.

Medical services, including opticians are ..

… in Thailand are usually excellent.

I always buy my glasses in Thailand, price and services cannot be beaten.

Back home I have once anually my regular free medical check-up, including testing of eye-side which includes the glasses, and everthime the glasses where correct.

The medical equipment in Thailand is usually almost up do-date and as good as everywhere.

Of course, one can you everywhere around the globe and catch just the wrong one around. But his might happened everywhere. I need to say I am very disappointed regarding so called modern Western standard medicine. It is just pretty expensive but often not good. I have never ever had any reason to complain in Thailand.

And this is not just my opinion. Many friends and relatives are flying in and get medical proper services during there holidays. This is one of the most important assets while making there decisions about holiday destinations.

bing
August 30th, 2007, 19:46
There is a very good place to get glasses on Soi 2 across from Boystown. It is called Beautiful Optical. My friend got his glasses there, they give a very good eye examination and had the glasses ready in two days. They said it may take three or 4 days but they called on the second day and said the glasses were ready. You will be happy with their service.
It is a gay friendly spot.

August 31st, 2007, 18:04
Great endorsment for medical care (eyes) GAY friendly. Lets all rush over there.
As for me I will get my exam at a hospital's eye clinic. What is a few baht more for a 'professional.
Opticians are NOT qualified to exam eyes. WAKe up.

travelerjim
August 31st, 2007, 18:39
Last week I emailed Dr. Philippe asking for a referral
to an Ophthalmologist ...to get a "second opinion" about a Thai
boy who needs further surgery done on his eye...

He replied with this Doctor's name...at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital

Here is Dr. Philippe's reply to me: (in part reads)

another / present opinion of good OPHTHALMOLOGIST can be got /
report in Bkk Pattaya Hospital...
with Dr.Chaiwat, on Sat. AM / appointment...

Best
Dr.Philippe"

Note that Dr. Chaiwat is at BP Hospital on Saturday mornings...
Call Bangkok Pattaya Hospital for appointments at 038 259 999

Then, with prescription in hand..see one of the optical shops...
and be sure to have the actual glasses checked again for accuracy and the
prescription ordered...when you go to visit Bangkok Pattaya Hospital again.

Optical shops are anxious to sell you glasses...and may not have the ability
to fill the prescription "as ordered" by the Ophthalmologist...and yet order you what they can -
even though it may not be the prescription given them.

You may wish to ask Dr. Chaiwat for an Optical Shop recommendation.

TravelerJim