PDA

View Full Version : Is ex-PM T. a murderer?

August 24th, 2007, 14:25
Recently I was referring to ex-PM Mr. T.’s war on drugs and his shoot first – ask later policy.
I remember one of his remarks whilst he was addressing DSI-officers in Lad Phrao, that “a dead witness cannot stand in trial. Think by yourself”

Even the UN went loud and asked Mr. T. to stop this unlawful doings immediately but I also remember his comments“ Thai means free and a free man will not need advice from people who do not know anything but this is an internal Thai affair and drugs are threatening Thailand’s security. People should learn the Kalasin lessons … ”.

Please read more, taken from: The Nation, 24.08.2007:

Thaksin is target in drug war probe

A three-man investigation believes it can link former premier Thaksin Shinawatra directly to "murders" during the government's 2003 war on drugs. Anucha Charoenpo interviews one of three top investigators.

National human rights commissioner Wasant Panich was one of three human rights defenders who asked Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont to set up a panel to investigate the Thaksin government's war on drugs.

Question (Anucha): What was your role in the establishment of the independent committee?

Answer (Wasant): It was me, Kraisak Choonhavan [former senator of Nakhon Ratchasima province] and Somchai Hom-laor [chairman of the Human Rights and Development Foundation] who went to Government House to meet the prime minister in November last year. We wanted him to investigate drugs-related murder cases under the Thaksin government seriously and wanted Thailand to ratify the international criminal court treaty in order to help prevent a recurrence of such mass killings in the future. The people involved in this situation should also be taken to this court.

Q: What are your hopes for the independent committee ?

A: Firstly, we believe the committee will likely be able to find evidence and witnesses to link former prime minister [Thaksin] and his associates to these murders as they were the drugs policymakers. But we don't expect the committee will be able to punish all the people responsible for the 2,500 cases as everything is up to the witnesses and the evidence that the committee will obtain later.

Secondly, we hope the committee will be able to divide all the drug murder cases into two categories. The first group consists of really innocent people and the second group real drug suspects. After the findings, the committee must announce them officially to the public. From our experience, we don't believe all people killed in the war on drugs were really involved in drugs.

Thirdly, we hope that the committee will be able to help victims with more rehabilitation and compensation.

Under the Compensation for Victims of Crime Act, victims get very little compensation. Each person only receives around 100,000 baht.

Q: Why do you think the committee will be able to bring former prime minister Thaksin to justice?

A: We don't just want Mr Thaksin to stand trial, but also other senior state officials such as the then permanent secretary for interior responsible for issuing this kind of drugs policy. We have key evidence that the permanent secretary circulated a letter to all provincial governors and regional police commanders. The letter suggested three ways to rid drug suspects from the country. They were extra-judicial killings, arrest and death from any cause.

Worse, former prime minister Thaksin told officials to learn the Kalasin model as the province was at that time declared free of drugs and crime. But from our investigations, we have received lot of information that many mysterious killings have taken place in this province up until the present day.

Q: How much authority does the committee have?

A: As we understand it, the committee only has the authority to investigate the killings and to report the outcome to the next government with the possibility that it may or may not take legal action against those people involved. But for us, it's better than doing nothing as at least we think it will be able to raise awareness about the matter in society.

Q: If the next prime minister and government do not want to do anything against the accused, what will you do?

A: The new constitution opens a channel for people in general to file lawsuits with the courts of justice against those who created government policy which affected people's lives. But we can do this after an organic law comes out. The National Human Rights Commission can represent these people.

Q: How much progress has the National Human Rights Commission made in looking into drugs-related murder cases?

A: Since the beginning of the war on drugs, we have investigated around 50 cases; half of the findings had already been submitted to the previous government but there was no response from it. Another half of all reports was later sent to this government.

In November last year when this government assigned the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) to revive some related cases, 10 more complaints were lodged with us, most of them related to the disappearance of Lisu ethnic people in the North during the drugs war because most authorities still believed these ethnic people were surely involved in drugs. The officials were still discriminating racially and ethnically. The investigations into these cases are almost completed and we expect to forward them to the DSI soon.

August 24th, 2007, 16:25
Hi,

Kalasin was declared,[ not by me!,] the first completely drug free province in Thailand!!

I do not try or pretend to understand the politics behind it all, it may just be co incidence, but I find it safe, friendly and a nice part of the World!

August 24th, 2007, 16:42
I was wrong while refering to The Nation. I am sorry about this.
The report mentioned belongs to the Bangkok Post.
The link is here: bangkokpost.net/topstories/topstories.php?id=121070

Yes, Kalasin was DECLARED to be the first frug free province of Thailand.
I never ever heard of any drug free area around the globe. Not even the Vatican, which is less the size of Kalasin muang, is drug free.

August 24th, 2007, 18:42
Yes Yes YES. All the land deals and even the Telecommunications sale should take a back seat to this. When one orders the murders of 1500 people without a trial than he should be help accountable.

August 24th, 2007, 20:16
I was wrong while refering to The Nation. I am sorry about this.
The report mentioned belongs to the Bangkok Post.
The link is here: bangkokpost.net/topstories/topstories.php?id=121070

Yes, Kalasin was DECLARED to be the first frug free province of Thailand.
I never ever heard of any drug free area around the globe. Not even the Vatican, which is less the size of Kalasin muang, is drug free.

True ttom,

A sweeping statement regards Kalasin by an ill informed spokesman!

August 25th, 2007, 16:01
No!

August 26th, 2007, 00:35
Yes, of course he is a murder. My partners Aunt died as a direct result of Taksin....and left a bunch of kids behind with no family to care for them.....don't you just love these heartless, egotistical, rich bastards. George Bush and Tony Blair also qualify as murderers for all the butchery that they have caused in the middle east. Perhaps we can roll them all up in a ball and ship them to the Hague to be tried for crimes against humanity. I can just see, in my minds eye, the three of them holding hands and pissing their pants just before the Sargent says, "FIRE."

August 26th, 2007, 02:16
I can just see, in my minds eye, the three of them holding hands and pissing their pants just before the Sargent says, "FIRE."Obviously part of your rich fantasy life. The Hague Tribunal does not impose the death penalty, in common with most European countries

August 26th, 2007, 04:33
No!

Sorry, but I am not sharing your opinion.

In 2004 I went with a small group of people up north to visit some hill tribes and could see with my own eyes what happened. We have been able to talk to several policemen (blacks, unit 999) involved too. All officers didn’t liked there job but acted as orderd. The police killed several “suspects” but found nothing, just a very old broken rifle.

Month later many trees where cut despite of the ridged natural conservation area and truck loads with logs of wood went missing. Of course, police officer took any notice about complaints.

It’s just being confirmed that some details we’ve gathered have passed on to UN human rights officers based Bangkok and somewhere else at the same time are now also in the prosecutors files.

August 26th, 2007, 09:20
Yes yes yes, this was a topic I brought up here more or less immediately post coup, the answer is still yes.

August 26th, 2007, 18:37
1500 people murdered, among them a 5 yr old boy and several political opponents. Then of course the innocent that had no chance to clear their good names.