View Full Version : How to prevent pubic lice?

August 24th, 2007, 08:52
I come to Thailand regularly over the past 10 years but have the unpleasant experience of catching pubic lice twice.

Any recommendation of medicine to get rid of it and better still, how to prevent it?

August 24th, 2007, 09:43
I come to Thailand regularly over the past 10 years but have the unpleasant experience of catching pubic lice twice.

Any recommendation of medicine to get rid of it and better still, how to prevent it?

Well lucky you!

The only way to prevent catching crabs is either:
a) thoroughly inspect your partner's pubes before sex or
b) don't have sex with anyone!
The first option sounds more fun to me! :cheers:

Seriously though, crabs are like bedbugs and fleas: even the classiest places could have them.

There are over-the-counter shampoos for head lice that will work (usually by mixing a low dose pesticide in with the shampoo). Remember though, you also have to wash all your clothes, underwear AND bedding in HOT water.

August 24th, 2007, 09:47
There are over-the-counter shampoos for head lice that will work (usually by mixing a low dose pesticide in with the shampoo). Remember though, you also have to wash all your clothes, underwear AND bedding in HOT water.The shampoos are so expensive for what they are ie. a rather weak insecticide. I always ignore the warnings on the cans about avoiding contact with skin, and use whatever fly spray I can find handy that the maid has hidden in the kitchen. Never fails

August 24th, 2007, 10:30
Jacutin Gel is a Cure, not a Prevention. It is available at most pharmacies in Thailand. Can't remember the price but less than 200 Baht, I think. Gives a slightly warm feeling to sensitive skin areas (scrotum, anus, armpits etc) but that passes in a few minutes. A mild smell of medical alcohol but not unpleasant. Rub it on then wash it off about 12 hours later.

http://www.camnet.com.kh/asia/jacutin.gif

August 24th, 2007, 11:14
Jacutin Gel is a Cure, not a Prevention. It is available at most pharmacies in Thailand. Can't remember the price but less than 200 Baht, I think. Gives a slightly warm feeling to sensitive skin areas (scrotum, anus, armpits etc) but that passes in a few minutes. A mild smell of medical alcohol but not unpleasant. Rub it on then wash it off about 12 hours later.

Correct padlom,

But he could use it frequently anyway as a prevention.

August 24th, 2007, 11:54
Lindane (the ingredient in JACUTIN GEL) is banned in many countries. A proven carcinogenic. More of a scabies cure than a lice cure anyway.
The Thai drug stores carry a mild shampoo for head lice, but this is not meant for pubic lice.

One thing you can try to prevent. Get some tea tree oil preparation. Apply to hairy areas after a shag with a dirty boy. At that point, you are dealing with just one or a few live critters not eggs, and that oil might kill the intruder.

If you are coming from a western country, bring in a mild pubic lice cure because you won't find it here. No wonder the Thai cancer rate is so high.

http://injurylaw.reganfirm.com/2006/08/ ... ed-by-fda/ (http://injurylaw.reganfirm.com/2006/08/articles/consumer-safety/lidane-lice-treatment-banned-by-epa-but-allowed-by-fda/)

allieb
August 24th, 2007, 12:03

Correct padlom,

But he could use it frequently anyway as a prevention.

Using meds as a prevention is not wise as it might create a strain of crab immune to the meds . Remember the Americans used regular doses of antibiotics as a prevention against syphilis in the Vietnam war. It created a strain of Syphilis called Vietnam Rose which antibiotics couldn't cure any more. Incidentally that strain of syphilis is still around in Thailand.

August 24th, 2007, 12:49
Lindane (the ingredient in JACUTIN GEL) is banned in many countries. A proven carcinogenic. More of a scabies cure than a lice cure anyway.
The Thai drug stores carry a mild shampoo for head lice, but this is not meant for public lice.

One thing you can try to prevent. Get some tea tree oil preperation. Apply to hairy areas after a shag with a dirty boy. At that point, you are dealing with just one of some live critters not eggs and that oil might kill the intruder.

If you are coming from a western country, bring in a mild pubic lice cure because you won't find it here. No wonder the Thai cancer rate is so high.

http://injurylaw.reganfirm.com/2006/08/ ... ed-by-fda/ (http://injurylaw.reganfirm.com/2006/08/articles/consumer-safety/lidane-lice-treatment-banned-by-epa-but-allowed-by-fda/)

True. But shampoo is not always enough. Better is to cut of shave as much of body hair off as possible. Just tell the pharmacists about your problem a he will advise you which treatment are bests.

If you need a quick solution, a linden-based cr├иme or so, Jacutin gel is the best and only option.

Agent Orange is based on Lindan. …. If you like to know what happened to people who came in contact with this stuff, have a look in Laos, Viet Nam or Cambodia ...

Lice can jump over from everywhere, not just from 1:1 body contact. Can happened from unclean bed linen or transferred from a third person by so too.

August 24th, 2007, 13:17

Raksiam,

What do you mean please??

August 24th, 2007, 13:23
Permerthrin (Nix) is very good and safe.

Read this link for further warnings about Lindane. It is a very dangerous med. Its like shooting a fly with a bazooka. Its crazy that this is what you find as the only treatment at Thai drugstores. You will find a safe shampoo cure for head lice in Thai stores, but not pubic lice.

In some ways, Thailand REALLY is backwards!

http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/HC/Treatme ... 90,00.html (http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/HC/Treatment/0,4047,990,00.html)

August 24th, 2007, 13:32

Read this link for further warnings about Lindane. It is a very dangerous med. Its like shooting a fly with a bazooka. Its crazy that this is what you find as the only treatment at Thai drugstores. You will find a safe shampoo cure for head lice in Thai stores, but not pubic lice.

http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/HC/Treatme ... 90,00.html (http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/HC/Treatment/0,4047,990,00.html)

Raksiam,

I meant about cancer.

What is wrong with Jacutin gel, this has always been used as a safe choice, Yes or No???

August 24th, 2007, 13:40
Lindane is not a safe choice. It is banned in 52 countries and more countries are considering banning it.

http://www.preventcancer.com/press/peti ... n17_95.htm (http://www.preventcancer.com/press/petitions/jan17_95.htm)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindane

Lindane has caused seizures, blood disorders, and brain cancer in children, and is linked to both breast cancer and Parkinson's disease.

August 24th, 2007, 13:41

Lindan based Jacutine is a classic but still up-to-date treatment and still well used all over the world. It is both cheap and efficiant.

As always, it’s wise to follow strictly the application rules and it will work fine.

August 24th, 2007, 13:43
Lindane is effective.
It is not safe and effective.
Why would you use it if you had a safer choice?

And wake up please. Why would 52 countries ban it if it was safe?

Another point: Lindane is absurd overkill for lice. It is more apt for scabies if you are forced to use it at all, because scabies are much harder to treat.

August 24th, 2007, 14:41
Lindane is effective.

Another point: Lindane is absurd overkill for lice. It is more apt for scabies if you are forced to use it at all, because scabies are much harder to treat.

Agree, Lindan is very hard stuff. But please read the original thread again:

How to prevent pubic lice?

Trying some mild stuff is one think to do, but in hot and moist areas, I doubt a shampoo will be that effective.

Therefore, best is trimming pubic hair to a minimum or shaving it off. Use a magnifying glass and check carefully if there is some “life” left. As soon as there are some red spots on skin like needle pins, it is too late for anything “soft”.
Wait a day and if this is not effective enough, it's most likely scabies already. Have a and therefore use Jacutin as advices by pharmacist.

Best is to consult any G.P. nearby.

August 24th, 2007, 14:47
Prevention isn't easy. I have heard the lice critters really don't like tea tree oil. Now that wouldn't work for a full blown invasion, but if there was only one critter and no eggs yet, you might get lucky. Shaving hairy areas would reduce the odds as well.

There are safe treatments for scabies also (permethrin lotion higher concentration) but I don't think these are available in Thailand. Only lindane. Backwards!

BTW, you can buy safe treatments for pubic lice and scabies in Singapore. Not sure about Malaysia.

August 24th, 2007, 16:28
Another thing is …

Prevention is hardly possible since the beast can jump over from everywhere, including animals. They can be hidden in fresh bed clothes or new textiles. You just need to hug someone.

All this beasts like humid temperature most. Warm and wet is nearly all which is ear the skin. Since the beast love to hook on hair, it's the best, to keep it short. Due to the small size and enormous jumping ability, it is impossible to comb them out with a normal comb.

Another thing is...

You need to clean ridiculously all textiles which could get in contact with the little beasts. That includes ALL wear, especially underwear, bed clothes etc..

Regular laundry is usually not effective enough. Probably adding some additional stuff to washing powder might be highly recommended. Ask the pharmacists, they know about this too. I am not sure Sagrotan or anything similar will do.

Best is, to pack all textiles in a plastic back and freeze them for two or three days. If you haven’t got a freezer, put all together in a thermal back and add plenty of ice bought from a corner shop to this and close it all tightly. The ice load might be renewed after any 12 hours or so. Do this for two days.

The beasts are absolutely robust, love the heat but cannot stand freezing temperature for long.

Do not scratch if it’s getting iffy. While scratching, the unwanted items (eggs etc) are pressed just deeper into skin and can lead to even more painful results.

August 24th, 2007, 16:33
Guys,

What a fabulous subject!

August 24th, 2007, 17:16
Forty years ago the only method of getting rid of pubic lice was using DDT powder liberally but this was banned. What happened to the following method, Prioderm shampoo which worked very well and was applied once then washed out almost immediately attacking lice and eggs and rendering both extinct?

Doug
August 24th, 2007, 17:22
It's almost impossible to resist scratching the affected areas. As a prevention, watch for boys who are a little more aggressive when playing with themselves.

August 24th, 2007, 17:28
It's almost impossible to resist scratching the affected areas. As a prevention, watch for boys who are a little more aggressive when playing with themselves.
More of the guys at the Sunee Plaza area seem to be wearing very dirty clothes. That is kind of sign of their overall hygiene situation. I do consider these guys riskier for picking up critters.

Wesley
August 24th, 2007, 17:41
Guys,

What a fabulous subject!

I could not have said it better, I must really be bored to read all this at 5 Am,

Wesley

bing
August 24th, 2007, 19:43
I can appreciate that no one wants to bring home unwanted visitors in the pubes. If you find a clean young man and like his company then go for it. This is not a guarantee of not have a problem, but does cut the opportunity for infestation. I am more concerned with head lice and bugs that live in the helmets the motorbike boys hand to you when you get on the back of their motor bikes. The reason I like Jomtien motorbikes, they don't insist on helmets as long as they are not going all the way into Pattaya. It is a trade off, it is not good to get in a wreck without a helmet.

Doug
August 24th, 2007, 19:53
Raksiam...your wrote, "More of the guys at the Sunee Plaza area seem to be wearing very dirty clothes. "

I don't know who you hang out with but I have always been impressed with the fastidious cleanliness of the Sunee bar boys. It's the farangs I would worry about.

August 24th, 2007, 20:00
Raksiam...your wrote, "More of the guys at the Sunee Plaza area seem to be wearing very dirty clothes. "

I don't know who you hang out with but I have always been impressed with the fastidious cleanliness of the Sunee bar boys. It's the farangs I would worry about.
The beer bar boys, some of them I have met have dirty smelly clothes by any international standard. I have never seen this anywhere else in Thailand. Consider yourself lucky if you haven't encountered that. You have to realize that for some of these guys, what they are wearing might be their only outfit!

August 24th, 2007, 20:06

The beer bar boys, some of them I have met have dirty smelly clothes by any international standard. I have never seen this anywhere else in Thailand. Consider yourself lucky if you haven't encountered that. You have to realize that for some of these guys, what they are wearing might be their only outfit!

Raksiam/Doug,

Sorry Doug, I'm with Raksiam on this thread.

I find his views to be accurate in this department.

They [ the boys of Sunnee] are usually are out till all hours playing snooker, gambling or worse.

Also, because they tend to be younger , they have no wife, children or anything to give them any social responsibility!

Last thing on their minds, till the moneys gone, is a bar of soap!

August 24th, 2007, 20:38
I have nothing against Sunee, except for the underage problem. However, I also don't like toxic smelling clothes. Some guys are cute enough to forgive anything, and there is the rub.

August 24th, 2007, 20:59
Fer fuck's sake, crabs, syphillis and wx40.....what other diseases could we bring up on this board?

August 24th, 2007, 21:27
Lindane is effective.

Scabies..........how horrible. I understand that the disease is hard to cure and may infect others living with you.
Luckily, I had never been infected though numerous times with pubic lice. Does scabies is caught only by people with poor hygiene?

August 24th, 2007, 21:34
Prevention isn't easy. I have heard the lice critters really don't like tea tree oil. Now that wouldn't work for a full blown invasion, but if there was only one critter and no eggs yet, you might get lucky. Shaving hairy areas would reduce the odds as well.

There are safe treatments for scabies also (permethrin lotion higher concentration) but I don't think these are available in Thailand. Only lindane. Backwards!

BTW, you can buy safe treatments for pubic lice and scabies in Singapore. Not sure about Malaysia.Interesting you mentioned Tea Tree Oil. I have read that the oil can get rid of bacteria and insects. Besides, it is natural and not harmful. Perhaps I will rub some into my hair after the encounter :blackeye:

Shaving the hair is not an option to me......that is one of my sex appeals

August 25th, 2007, 02:10
Lindane is effective.

Scabies..........how horrible. I understand that the disease is hard to cure and may infect others living with you.
Luckily, I had never been infected though numerous times with pubic lice. Does scabies is caught only by people with poor hygiene?
Actually, no.
People of all classes and hygiene levels get crabs and scabies.
However, if someone is living so rough that they can't manage clean clothes, it would be harder for such a person to cure himself of these problems (changing, cleaning clothes and linens is part of the cure and it is very easy to reinfect).

August 25th, 2007, 08:12
There's a lot of nonsense being posted here along with some good info.
Now listen to Uncle Kenny, who among other talents happens to be a licenced Pest Control Operator.

1)Head lice and Pubic lice are NOT the same thing. They are different species and they do not inhabit each others territory. Why? I dunno, I didn't say I was an Entomologist! Also you cannot get them from other animals. These are human-specific pests.

2) Lindane is NOT Agent Orange. Not even close. However Lindane is a very persistant pesticide. Like DDT its very slow to break down in the environment and hence builds up in the food chain. Its effectiveness is not due to its being so toxic but because it stays around a long time. But do you really want this stuff in your fat tissue and liver until you die?

3) Permethryn is probably the least toxic alternative but that doesn't mean it is NON-toxic. It is still a pesticide. For that reason:

4) You should NOT use these toxic pesticides regularly as a preventative! One or 2 doses once in a blue moon are not going to hurt you. Regularly dosing yourself will have long term neurological effects.

5) Head lice shampoo will work on Pubic lice.

6) Scabies are not lice but actually tiny mites that burrow into the skin. That's why they are so hard to get rid of. You cant just wash the skin surface but must actually put poison into your skin to kill them. Yuck....

I've never heard of "tea tree oil" but if you think it might work as a preventative, go for it!
But if you get cooties anyway you better bring out the big guns.

August 25th, 2007, 08:59
Now listen to Uncle Kenny, who among other talents happens to be a licenced Pest Control Operator.

1)Head lice and Pubic lice are NOT the same thing. They are different species and they do not inhabit each others territory. Why? I dunno, I didn't say I was an Entomologist! Also you cannot get them from other animals. These are human-specific pests.

2) Lindane is NOT Agent Orange. Not even close. However Lindane is a very persistant pesticide. Like DDT its very slow to break down in the environment and hence builds up in the food chain. Its effectiveness is not due to its being so toxic but because it stays around a long time. But do you really want this stuff in your fat tissue and liver until you die?

3) Permethryn is probably the least toxic alternative but that doesn't mean it is NON-toxic. It is still a pesticide. For that reason:

Listen to Uncle Kenny! My thoughts exactly!

Exactly what I was going to say, now all of you, listen to an expert!

4) You should NOT use these toxic pesticides regularly as a preventative! One or 2 doses once in a blue moon are not going to hurt you. Regularly dosing yourself will have long term neurological effects.

6) Scabies are not lice but actually tiny mites that burrow into the skin. That's why they are so hard to get rid of. You cant just wash the skin surface but must actually put poison into your skin to kill them. Yuck....

I've never heard of "tea tree oil" but if you think it might work as a preventative, go for it!

August 25th, 2007, 09:10

French Budgie's you mean?

August 25th, 2007, 12:37

I agree with everything you say!
Except I think lindane should really be avoided at all costs. The risks are not worth it when there are alternatives.
Didn't mean to suggest that permerthrin is strawberry jam, just much better than lindane. Never suggested using either as a preventative.
Of course head lice and pubic lice are DIFFERENT bugs and thats why I thought you shouldn't use the head lice shampoo for pubic lice. However, I looked this up and it seems you can use the head lice shampoo for public lice. Given that you can't get permethrin shampoo here best to try the head lice shampoo for public lice, and NOT lindane. Crazy to poison yourself with lindane for what is a very minor ailment.

August 25th, 2007, 13:55
Ask any pharmacist for a cr├иme containing PYRETHRUM and he will know what you want. Pyrethrum is herbal stuff, made from chrysanthemums and is none since 2000 years as effective medicine against lice etc.

Aunty
August 25th, 2007, 14:02
Besides, it is natural and not harmful.

Yeah, so's hemlock and botulism. Natural doesn't make it 'safe', big mistake!

Tea tree oil contains antibacterial compounds (only the good stuff though)- don't know if it'd be of much use against insects though?? If it's effective against crabs, it's more likely the oil is smothering the little fuckers.

Kenc and Raksiam are on to it! The rest of you are full of s.....

August 25th, 2007, 18:41

Thanks God, we have an authority here.

What is your expert view on prevention? The lice is not difficult to get rid of but there is an incubation period before the victim knows it. During the period, he may have infected his love ones unknowingly.............that is what concerns me.

Right now, I am thinking of washing my hair with head lice shampoo after each encounter and rubbing it with tea tree oil afterwards. Is the shampoo suitable for such purpose?

Thank you for your time
:bom:

Jetsam
August 25th, 2007, 19:38
Why hasn't llz posted here yet

http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/images/avatars/6769339574658052d704ff.gif

http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/images/avatars/6769339574658052d704ff.gif

August 25th, 2007, 19:40
The lice is not difficult to get rid of but there is an incubation period before the victim knows it. During the period, he may have infected his love ones unknowingly.............that is what concerns me.
Really? If an adult louse transfers from one body to the other, it can begin drinking blood as soon as it contacts the skin, and the accompanying itch is pretty quick. No incubation period needed.

I can speak from personal experience, err, a friend told me that he experienced the itching within hours of physical contact. We're not talking about a blood-borne diseases like HIV, syphillis or gonorrhea, we're talking about mobile animals that roam the surface of the body.

Also, certain types of body hair (besides pubic hair) can host the pubic lice. Such people, when infested with crabs need to either treat all their body hair or shave it off. Ask me how I know *that*!

An alternative to putting infested clothing and bedding in the freezer, my doctor's roommate told him to launder his and after the spin cycle in the washer, to throw the items in black plastic trash bags and toss them on the roof for a few days. Apparently the heat of the sun is enough to steam the buggers to death. Not sure how effective it would be right now in the rainy season, but in the sunny season, it seemed to work.

Aunty
August 25th, 2007, 21:44
What is your expert view on prevention?
Thank you for your time
:bom:

You have far more serious conditions to be worried about and trying to prevent than crabs, and my expert advice is you should be worried about those, and not something that is, in fact, harmless and easily treated. There is no 'incubation' period as you put it. It's not a microbe that invades your body. It's an insect not much bigger than a pin head that lives on your skin, hangs onto to your hair shaft and sucks your blood, ok? You can only be infected by two things, either the insect and/or its eggs. The life-cycle from egg to reproductive adult insect is about 10 days. There is no prevention, what silly nonsense!

In the unlikely event you become infected, go to the damn chemist and buy some shampoo for treating crabs, follow the damn instructions on the bottle, soap up your pubes, armpit hair, head and any other place you have hair and repeat the treatment in about 7-10 days. Don't share your towels and wash all your clothes, towels and bed linen in hot water, and repeat in 7-10 days. And if you don't want to do any of that because you're a complete fucking idiot, go, in the immortal words of a contributor from Sydney, and give yourself an uppercut.

August 25th, 2007, 22:27
There is no 'incubation' period as you put it

I am no expert in crabs............All I did was to conduct a search in Yahoo and there is the result:

Pubic Lice
Provided by: PDR.net
Last Updated: January 1, 2003

The Most Contagious STD

Named for their crab-like appearance, pubic lice are large enough to be visible, and leave little bluish marks where they bite. If your sexual partner has lice, you have a 95 percent chance of picking them up. Some of the old wives' tales are true, too. You can catch lice from dirty sheets and towels, though not from toilet seats.

These lice are wingless insects with six legs and a square body. They look like sea crabs, which is why they are often referred to as "the crabs." The lice cling to pubic hair and feed on blood. The female of the species lays about 50 eggs, called nits, and attaches them to the base of a hair strand. The average life-span is 25 to 30 days.

There has been a resurgence of pubic lice that parallels increasing rates of other sexually transmitted diseases.

* Risk factors
* Signs and symptoms
* Cause
* Incubation period
* Possible health effects
* Diagnosis
* Treatments
* Follow-up
* Prevention
* Pregnancy

Risk factors: You are more likely to get pubic lice if you or your partner have multiple or casual sexual partners. It's easier to get lice than any other STD. From just one sexual encounter with an infested person, you have a 95 percent chance of picking them up.

Signs and symptoms: You will know if you have contracted pubic lice because you can see them. You may also see little bluish marks in the pubic area or thighs where they've bitten you. The lice often cause itching, which is thought to be from an allergic reaction to their bites. Although crabs are found most often in the pubic area, they can be found on any other hairy part of the body, such as the chest, armpits, beard, and eyelashes. They normally leave the hair on the head to their cousins, body lice.

Cause: Pubic lice is caused by a parasite known as Phthirus pubis that is transmitted by close body contact, most often by sexual intercourse. Since the lice can live away from their host for 24 to 48 hours, there are other possible modes of transmission such as sheets and towels (but not toilet seats).

Incubation period: Eggs hatch in seven to 10 days. But depending on the number of lice transmitted, it could be two to four weeks before you notice anything.

rincondog
August 25th, 2007, 22:39
How to treat pubic lice infestations: (Note: see section below for treatment of eyelashes or eyebrows. The lice medications described in this section should not be used near the eyes.)

This is from the CDC website:

1. Wash the infested area; towel dry.
2. Thoroughly saturate hair with lice medication. If using permethrin or pyrethrins, leave medication on for 10 minutes; if using Lindane, only leave on for 4 minutes. Thoroughly rinse off medication with water. Dry off with a clean towel.
3. Following treatment, most nits will still be attached to hair shafts. Nits may be removed with fingernails.
4. Put on clean underwear and clothing after treatment.
5. To kill any lice or nits (attached to hairs) that may be left on clothing or bedding, machine-wash those washable items that the infested person used during the 2-3 days before treatment. Use the hot water cycle (130┬░F). Use the hot dryer cycle for at least 20 minutes.
6. Dry-clean clothing that is not washable.
7. Inform any sexual partners that they are at risk for infestation.
8. Do not have sex until treatment is complete.
9. Do not have sex with infected partners until partners have been treated and infestation has been cured.
10. Repeat treatment in 7-10 days if lice are still found.

August 25th, 2007, 22:48
What is your expert view on prevention? The lice is not difficult to get rid of but there is an incubation period before the victim knows it. During the period, he may have infected his love ones unknowinglyDon't have sex

August 26th, 2007, 10:07
For heaven sake Hkbank Its been 3 days now. Would you go get yourself some Cootie-B-Gone at the drugstore and take care of your problem already.

There is NO PREVENTATIVE!

If you lie down with dogs you're gonna get up with fleas....so to speak.

August 26th, 2007, 17:09
5. To kill any lice or nits (attached to hairs) that may be left on clothing or bedding [and towels], machine-wash those washable items that the infested person used during the 2-3 days before treatment. Use the hot water cycle (130┬░F). Use the hot dryer cycle for at least 20 minutes.
As specific as that info was, I'm surprised they didn't mention treating the towel used to dry off after step 1.

August 27th, 2007, 10:39
Lindane can be nasty to cause redness, stay away!

There's a prescription cream for lice in the west called quell (sp). I hear its the best and have no idea if its available here except possibly directly from a doctor at a hospital.

If your prone, use something like that or medicine available in many pharmacies wotld widw like "Rid" every 2 3 ... then 6 mos til your SURE thay are gone forever. Its a good thing to always do it after travel, like your last shower before getting on the plane.

August 27th, 2007, 21:40

There's a prescription cream for lice in the west called quell (sp). I hear its the best and have no idea if its available here except possibly directly from a doctor at a hospital.

If your prone, use something like that or medicine available in many pharmacies wotld widw like "Rid" every 2 3 ... then 6 mos til your SURE thay are gone forever. Its a good thing to always do it after travel, like your last shower before getting on the plane.The last shower serves many purposes and appears the sensible thing to do :colors:

August 27th, 2007, 21:50

If your prone, use something like that or medicine available in many pharmacies wotld widw like "Rid" every 2 3 ... then 6 mos til your SURE thay are gone forever. Its a good thing to always do it after travel, like your last shower before getting on the plane.
The active ingredient in Kwell is Lindane. Lindane is sold under the Jacutin brand name in Thailand. Same toxic poison, different brand name. It is a horrible choice for crabs, though it is meant for scabies. As far as I know, there is no milder treatment available for scabies in Thailand.

August 28th, 2007, 03:13
1 Use a fine toothed Nit comb when on holiday. Tea tree oil shampoo can't do any harm also.
2 When arriving home, if any Nits are present, immediatelty use whichever treatment you prefer (before going to bed).
3 Immedaitely wash all your holiday clothes with borax.

J

August 31st, 2007, 14:55
In the UK the prescribed treatment for Pubic Lice, Head lice and indeed scabies mite contains the active chemical/insecticide MALATHION, the over the counter brand name being DERBAC M in Britain and Ireland. This is what most doctors would presrcibe and indeed what sexual health clinics use to treat crabs.

Pharmacies in Thailand may also sell a product with MALATHION as the main ingredient. It is commonly sold in other countries - thai lice I have yet to encounter ;)

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100000721.html

Dick
September 1st, 2007, 03:37
In addition to washing clothes and bed linen, it is recommended that you also IRON them. The combination of washing AND ironing is regarded as the best way to kill off any eggs.

September 2nd, 2007, 21:57
How to treat pubic lice infestations: (Note: see section below for treatment of eyelashes or eyebrows. The lice medications described in this section should not be used near the eyes.)

This is from the CDC website:

1. Wash the infested area; towel dry.
2. Thoroughly saturate hair with lice medication. If using permethrin or pyrethrins, leave medication on for 10 minutes; if using Lindane, only leave on for 4 minutes. Thoroughly rinse off medication with water. Dry off with a clean towel.
3. Following treatment, most nits will still be attached to hair shafts. Nits may be removed with fingernails.
4. Put on clean underwear and clothing after treatment.
5. To kill any lice or nits (attached to hairs) that may be left on clothing or bedding, machine-wash those washable items that the infested person used during the 2-3 days before treatment. Use the hot water cycle (130┬░F). Use the hot dryer cycle for at least 20 minutes.
6. Dry-clean clothing that is not washable.
7. Inform any sexual partners that they are at risk for infestation.
8. Do not have sex until treatment is complete.
9. Do not have sex with infected partners until partners have been treated and infestation has been cured.
10. Repeat treatment in 7-10 days if lice are still found.

eyelashes or eyebrows too? That would be obvious enough to alert others to stay away :blackeye:

September 2nd, 2007, 22:41
I thought the bloody things were money spiders and encouraged them!

September 15th, 2008, 00:38
For heaven sake Hkbank Its been 3 days now. Would you go get yourself some Cootie-B-Gone at the drugstore and take care of your problem already.

There is NO PREVENTATIVE!

If you lie down with dogs you're gonna get up with fleas....so to speak.

I absolutely agree. Pubic lice are easily treated with (in Thailand) over-the-counter medications. Typically, they will tell you to put the lotion over your pubes, and then do it again after 4-5 days. No Rachel Carson hysterics needed. Do what your doctor tells you to do.

Scabies are a somewhat different problem. The major symptoms are major night itching. I think of them as tiny pubic lice.

Again, go to your doctor or pharmacist. You may have to spread the cream all over your body, but... (TA DA)...YOU WILL SURVIVE!!

Just as an aside, I have never been infested by any bar-boy. Nope, I had to wait for my "boyfriend" to do that, and he (the lying piece of shit) generously suggested that it was the fault of my Bangkok hotel!

Forget the "tree oil" and all the other stuff. And don't worry about these pests. Worry about HIV.

September 15th, 2008, 02:58
Henry are you bored?

Bumping 1 year old threads.

September 15th, 2008, 11:08
I wonder how HKBank ever took care of his problem.
We never really heard from him again did we?

Dodger
September 15th, 2008, 18:33
hkBlank wrote:

I come to Thailand regularly over the past 10 years but have the unpleasant experience of catching pubic lice twice

As far as prevention goes, you must always start by sucking your guys cock for at least 10 minutes to determine if these little menaces are lurking around. If you feel anything funny on your nose during this interaction, immediately wash your nose off with soap and warm water. Better yet, just fill your bathroom sink up with a mixture of warm water and Jack Daniels and stick your whole face under water for a minute or two. That will get rid of the little buggers.

There's different species you have to be aware of. If you come in contact with the Russian species, known for their advanced gymnastic abilities, you may evan have to wash your whole head because these little bastards can leap 6 inches with those strong little legs of theirs.

If you get the Mexican species, know as Paco de Lice Publicano you just fire up a barbeque and hold your head about 2 inches from the flames and the little loco bastards literally leap into the flames.

Now, if by change you come in contact with the Italian species, famous for their unique shaped heads which make them appear as if they're wearing fidoras, you just have to set a $10 bill on the pillow nest to your head and they'll bounce off you in a flash.

On a serious note, I heard once that a fox will get rid of flees by grabbing a twig with a small leaf on the end with his teeth. Then he slowly walks into a stream which causes the flees to move up his body gradually. Finally, as he slowly submerses his head under water, the flees jump onto the leave. He then releases the twig from his mouth and swims away flee free. Applying this same methodology just might work for us humans. Just find a twig with a small leave attached to it. Stick the end of the twig up the hole in your penis and jump in the bathtub and let the little bastards jump from your penis onto the leaf in the same manner. For you British guys, just make sure you dispose of the leaf and not mistakenly use it in your next cup of tea.

alittlebi-old
September 15th, 2008, 19:24

Have always wondered if there were some "common denominators" to those getting infected/infested .... such as short-time rooms, unclean/shared towels, unkempt partner (perhaps due to living on the street) ...

gearguy
September 15th, 2008, 22:30
as always, South Park is where to go:

http://www.southparkstudios.com/guide/1103/

zinzone
September 16th, 2008, 08:09
This is a public health issue.

If what follows is already mentioned by a poster then so be it as I have not trawled through all the replies.

However I was recently asked by an acquaintance here in Thailand as to what remedy to use for body lice and I made some enquiries and did some research.
Also with the lifestyle of many and the ignorance of others plus the fact that massage establishments etc are potential if not actual breeding grounds for the lice there is always the risk of widespread infection.

An early poster suggested using "Jacutin" Gel.
That is now banned in Thailand and the reasons for that can be found from a google search.

The lotion now available in many Pharmacies is called:

"Hexin Lice Killer Cream".

It is available in most pharmacies and retails for 20-30 baht.
One application overnight for 12 hours is said to be sufficient.

September 2008

Zinzone.

September 16th, 2008, 08:17
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindane (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindane)

Great active ingredient, not to be used lightly.

September 16th, 2008, 17:05
I'm surprised that Quinoderm has not been mentioned, a very effective easy way of treating pubic lice and is easily applied - correct me if I'm wrong.

It is also used for acne but primarily crabs and pubic lice.

September 16th, 2008, 17:09
I'm surprised that Quinoderm has not been mentioned, a very effective easy way of treating pubic lice and is easily applied - correct me if I'm wrong. It is also used for acne but primarily crabs and pubic lice.The manufacturers however do not make such a claim (pubic lice, which I thought were the same as crabs but with WhiteDesire I learn something new every day, are nowhere mentioned). And one wonders why a skin treatment would include an insecticide - http://www.quinoderm.co.uk/splash_treatment.htm

September 17th, 2008, 03:06
If only pubic lice were much much much bigger then the problem would be eradicated overnight - as the Thais would surely be deep frying them and selling them in the street at 20baht a bag!

:cheers:

September 18th, 2008, 08:07
I'm surprised that Quinoderm has not been mentioned, a very effective easy way of treating pubic lice and is easily applied - correct me if I'm wrong. It is also used for acne but primarily crabs and pubic lice.The manufacturers however do not make such a claim (pubic lice, which I thought were the same as crabs but with WhiteDesire I learn something new every day, are nowhere mentioned). And one wonders why a skin treatment would include an insecticide - http://www.quinoderm.co.uk/splash_treatment.htm

I got this wrong, it was something similar to that name, I need to research

However, I'm glad you learn something new every day from me Hom, and here's me thinking you "knew it all"!

Uranus
September 18th, 2008, 09:35
I think you misspelled your question!

September 18th, 2008, 10:16
However, I'm glad you learn something new every day from me Hom, and here's me thinking you "knew it all"!He probably knows that crabs are pubic lice.

lonelywombat
September 18th, 2008, 10:49
This is a public health issue.

If what follows is already mentioned by a poster then so be it as I have not trawled through all the replies.

However I was recently asked by an acquaintance here in Thailand as to what remedy to use for body lice and I made some enquiries and did some research.
Also with the lifestyle of many and the ignorance of others plus the fact that massage establishments etc are potential if not actual breeding grounds for the lice there is always the risk of widespread infection.

An early poster suggested using "Jacutin" Gel.
That is now banned in Thailand and the reasons for that can be found from a google search.

The lotion now available in many Pharmacies is called:

"Hexin Lice Killer Cream".

It is available in most pharmacies and retails for 20-30 baht.
One application overnight for 12 hours is said to be sufficient.

September 2008

Zinzone.

A post on the thaivisa thread suggests that Hexin - contains Lindane which is according to Jingthing same thread claims is Jacutin

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Treatment ... 94137.html (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Treatment-Body-Licecrabs-t194137.html)