PDA

View Full Version : Swiss Lodge Inn

bucknaway
August 23rd, 2007, 23:17
I am at that point where I am looking for hotels to use in Bangkok. Have any of you used the Swiss Lodge in Bangkok? If you have could you tell me the good and bad of it?

Brad the Impala
August 23rd, 2007, 23:56
No more Babylon? Stay at Chin House, Saladeang, it's our home away from home, when In Bangkok. It's like staying in an apartment block with security. The security will not bat an eye, however many friends you turn up with, nor will they check IDs, so both your respectable and less respectable friends will be happy to visit. It's a short walk to the bars in Silom, Suriwong.

You can stock your own fridge, and you have your own little kitchen and there is also room service, and the thai and farang food is good by hotel standards. They also don't mind if you want a takeaway delivered. Don't miss the great Chinese noodle shop on the corner of Saladaeng and Silom, and although they are usually sold out by 1400, they are a great brunch.

allieb
August 24th, 2007, 00:26
Agree with Brad

I have stayed at the Chin House 10 times and wouldn't dream of staying anywhere else. I said this before on another thread that a couple of years ago I came with a group of 10 queens from Saudi and we took a whole floor. One night we had a party in one of the 2 bedroom apartments and I guess we had 30 or so people. No complaints at all.

They don't advertise this but if you are on a budget which I know Buck will appreciate they have studio rooms for 2,000 Bt a night. You must call and book well in advance as they only have about 12 of these rooms.

August 24th, 2007, 01:49
I am at that point where I am looking for hotels to use in Bangkok. Have any of you used the Swiss Lodge in Bangkok? If you have could you tell me the good and bad of it?

Swiss lodge Inn is well positioned between all central and gay locations. It's a nice and well maintained place. Not cheap at all. I’ve got several complaints from (well behaved) friends that this place is definitely not gay-friendly at all.

August 24th, 2007, 01:55
... it used to be gayfriendly, way back in '97/98 but perhaps has changed hands now. There used to be a guy on the front desk who was a "friend of dorothy" and made us welcome. Yes it was on the pricey side, but it was a nice hotel with swimming pool and very centrally located.

August 24th, 2007, 02:07
... it used to be gayfriendly, way back in '97/98 but perhaps has changed hands now. There used to be a guy on the front desk who was a "friend of dorothy" and made us welcome.

Swiss Lodge is now well established at its boutique market segment won't need the pink baht anymore. I don't recommend this place anymore since first complaints occur in 2001 or so.

Yes it was on the pricey side, but it was a nice hotel with swimming pool and very centrally located.

In Silom Soi 5, the good old Trinity is popular, nearly as good, less than half price and everything – including a very nice gay friendly service.

There are always alternatives. Just open your mind and use them ….

It the same with tatty the Narai Hotel on Silom; not gay friendly, Runed down with tour groups. But opp, the the Triple A Htel belongs to the Narai Group, is gay friendly, better and an excellent alternative .[/color].

August 24th, 2007, 03:15
Yes, I have stayed there. I think it is overpriced for what it is and they have a joiner fee. Try the Trinty Silom Hotel. It is just behind the Bangkok Bank on Silom. It is a business class hotel and they will never say a word about your guest. 1,300 Baht including a buffet breakfast if you book online through the thaivisa web site.

http://www.r24.org/hotels.thaivisa.com/ ... y/details/ (http://www.r24.org/hotels.thaivisa.com/bangkok/trinity/details/)

bucknaway
August 24th, 2007, 03:51
No more Babylon? Stay at Chin House, Saladeang,.

I still plan to rent a room for a night or two at Babylon but I won't stay there as much as I did last time. I like Babylon but I am tired of going up to the 6th floor then walking the steps to get to my room.... And with all my luggage... It is a pain in the butt!

Also... Babylon is not all that great for long stays. With everything bolted down and cemented... I feel like they like me.... but don't trust me.. LOL

ned kelly-old
August 24th, 2007, 06:47
I agree, Babylon is really only a one or two night place and for that it's perfect apart from the location which could be a tad more convenient. Some friends of mine stayed at Swiss Lodge about 6 months ago, no complaints but thought it a bit pricey.
If your on a budget it is hard to go pass the Pinnacle booked via Jimmy. A deluxe room for two for about 1300baht including two quite decent buffet breakfasts. At times there is the odd report of problems with guests, but I nor any of the many friends who use the hotel have ever encountered any, so I suspect must have been unusual circumstances.
Jimmy seems to account for about 30-40% of their bookings so it is well patronized by like minded souls and breakfast in the morning looks like a re-run of Soi 4 in the evening.
The location is better than Babylon although about the same distance from Silom......it's closer to shops and Lumpini Underground station is a 2 or 3 minute walk away.
jimmyfirst@hotmail.com........although Jimmy works on his own and can be quite slack about confirming.

bucknaway
August 24th, 2007, 07:25
I have a little to play with.. I want to keep my 20 day room cost at about $1,500 USD so that is about $75 a day or B2,442.5 baht.... So I have room to try a decent hotel.

atri1666
August 24th, 2007, 08:38
I can recommend the Tarntawan-Hotel. When you book the "friends of dicks cafe"-rate you pay less than the official rate. Always stay there when i have changing friends. For stays together with one friend i always take the "Tawana" for about 26тВм (low season) or 36тВм (high season). Both hotels only few steps to the action and about 50 baht to babylon or chakran with taxi.

August 24th, 2007, 09:16
I can recommend the Tarntawan-Hotel. One caveat... The rooms on the low floors in the rear are dark, depressing and have NO VIEW!

bucknaway
August 24th, 2007, 09:28
Thanks but I can't stay there because a lot of the bi guys or guys that are not out refuse to go to a gay hotel. Even when I was at the Pinnacle, some would not visit because it has a reputation among the Thai for Single gay visitors. I can stay at gay places but i only do it for short periods.

I can recommend the Tarntawan-Hotel. When you book the "friends of dicks cafe"-rate you pay less than the official rate. Always stay there when i have changing friends. For stays together with one friend i always take the "Tawana" for about 26тВм (low season) or 36тВм (high season). Both hotels only few steps to the action and about 50 baht to babylon or chakran with taxi.

August 24th, 2007, 09:50
Thanks but I can't stay there because a lot of the bi guys or guys that are not out refuse to go to a gay hotel.....

Your life never ceases to amaze me..... :kos:

atri1666
August 24th, 2007, 09:50
I can recommend the Tarntawan-Hotel. One caveat... The rooms on the low floors in the rear are dark, depressing and have NO VIEW!

Sorry dont know the "darkrooms" there and was only in higher floors.

August 24th, 2007, 11:09

atri666.

Can you give me the baht rate you pay at the Tawana Ramada, because I have stayed there for 15 years and my rates differ to yours quoted?

atri1666
August 24th, 2007, 11:31

atri666.

Can you give me the baht rate you pay at the Tawana Ramada, because I have stayed there for 15 years and my rates differ to yours quoted?

I always book and pay in germany-january i paid 36тВм/night/room for 2 persons. Actual i was looking in september 28тВм/night/room and january next year again 36тВм/night/room with breakfast for 2 persons. I like their dinnerbuffet. I book at www.reiseland.de (http://www.reiseland.de). Last time in low season it was only 26тВм. I only stay there about 10 years but changing with other hotels. In baht about 1656 for high season and 1288 for low season-good value for money.

August 24th, 2007, 12:07
Cheers atri666,

Cheaper than me and I've stayed there for a lot of years.

You must be on some block deal with your agent I imagine.

You are right its a great Hotel.

Kevin.

atri1666
August 24th, 2007, 12:21
Cheers atri666,

Cheaper than me and I've stayed there for a lot of years.

You must be on some block deal with your agent I imagine.

You are right its a great Hotel.

Kevin.

I pay their normal rates but i get after travelling about 3-5% back. Booked November Clubexecutive at Westin in KL for 104тВм/night - best deal i ever have had with them (normal rate 170тВм=7820 baht).

bucknaway
August 24th, 2007, 23:06
Your easy to be amazed hehehe :)

Your life never ceases to amaze me..... :kos:

August 27th, 2007, 12:31
If your on a budget it is hard to go pass the Pinnacle booked via Jimmy. A deluxe room for two for about 1300baht including two quite decent buffet breakfasts.

The Pinnacle is having the ground floor/lobby area renovated, work starting 1 September, scheduled to finish end October. Might be best to avoid for the next couple of months, unless you like construction noise.

I always stay at the Tarntawan now. As noted by others, the rooms at the front (with even numbers) are best. Front rooms also have DVD/CD players and many have those large/king size beds. The 24 hr breakfast is great for late risers, you can have it in your room or downstairs any time of day or night. The only real problem for me with Tarntawan is the lack of an in-room safe, which is handy if you're bringing strangers back to your room. Also, some of the rooms the air con is hard to adjust, always too cold or too hot. My "visitors" sometimes complain about the cold...

August 27th, 2007, 13:02
I am at that point where I am looking for hotels to use in Bangkok.

Public ablutions lost their charm already Buckeye? You can always take the transvestite loving "bi-guys" to the Oriental or the Peninsula where you will be most welcome. Just don't get caught out in the lady's, you might startle the wives.

martin911
August 27th, 2007, 23:43
I stayed at the Swiss Lodge 2 weeks ago,treated myself to their suite rate(3500)cant recomend this place enough if you want somewhere really nice,i have never paid joiner fees,als found it gay friendly and soo convient if you are in dj or god at the end of the night-a 3 min walk/stagger home,treat yourself!!!

alipatt-old
August 29th, 2007, 01:19
I guess that I must have had a real cheep place - Malaysian in January 880 baht for deluxe double room - not the flashest but I would not have a problem staying there again.