PDA

View Full Version : What's your poison?

August 23rd, 2007, 08:58
Just for hoots, what does everyone drink?
And do you drink differently when you are home as opposed to on holiday (or in the bars if you're an expat).

FWIW (not much I suppose) I'm a Bourbon drinker - preferably Jim Beam. But for years I was into Canadian whiskey esp Canadian Club.
I have to admit, to my shame, my mixer of choice is Canada Dry Ginger Ale!

When I'm on holiday in Thailand I get so flummoxend by the "Shower Show" I just order "Gin and Tonic" or Singha.
I also buy a bottle of Sang Som for the hotel room, just to be a bit exotic on holiday. :drunken:
(or is it Song Sam?)

August 25th, 2007, 08:54
Thats interesting, I thought I was a freak, but I am for once amongst the majority, a majority of four that is. "I don't booze", however this is not strictly true nor a lie. I can't be bothered is the real answer. I had a G&T last Christmas in Africa and a Lychee martini sometime inbetween, but since then fresh Lime and Soda's, It never crosses my mind to up the anti. Its the climate, tropical monsoon season, just knocks you out sideways, feel like a ship wreck already.

Its diverting watching the tourists and corporate head bangers getting fucked though, through both holes, the wallet and the head.

August 25th, 2007, 13:42
Interesting that the most popular option so far at the top of the list is for a drink that doesn't exist. There's no "e" in Scotch.

Khor tose
August 26th, 2007, 02:47
Hoots yer quid, wit galoot spells Whisky wi an "e"?

Bob
August 26th, 2007, 03:01

Hell, I thought that "whisky" was an incorrect spelling. According to some website (from which the following is lifted):

WHISKEY (WHISKY). The spelling "whiskey" is common for Irish whiskeys and the vast majority of U.S. whiskeys. The spelling "whisky" is sometimes used for Scotch, Canadian, and other whiskeys and occasionally for some U.S. whiskeys. The word "whisky"/"whiskey" is derived from the Irish and Scottish Gaelic usquebaugh or uisge beatha, meaning 'water of life' (compare the French eau-de-vie). Whiskey is of course a high-alcohol beverage ("spirit") produced by the distillation of grain-based lower-alcohol fermentations.

August 26th, 2007, 08:09

Hell, I thought that "whisky" was an incorrect spelling. According to some website (from which the following is lifted):

WHISKEY (WHISKY). The spelling "whiskey" is common for Irish whiskeys and the vast majority of U.S. whiskeys. The spelling "whisky" is sometimes used for Scotch, Canadian, and other whiskeys and occasionally for some U.S. whiskeys. The word "whisky"/"whiskey" is derived from the Irish and Scottish Gaelic usquebaugh or uisge beatha, meaning 'water of life' (compare the French eau-de-vie). Whiskey is of course a high-alcohol beverage ("spirit") produced by the distillation of grain-based lower-alcohol fermentations.

Anyone noticed how the gay and very Gaelic Thais drink litres of the stuff called Scotch up disco? I've never liked fire water, it tastes like kerosene and sends me into a rage. But it is quite a difficult one because most of the interesting local disco there serve nothing else, only that and "soda pop", thats American for gut wrenchingly sweet soft drinks like seven Up and coke..

August 26th, 2007, 08:58

OOPSIE!
I guess this galoot does :geek:

August 26th, 2007, 13:22
"sometimes" ... Jings!

It was in the late 1980s after several years serving Her Majesty in the hell holes of the East I sought a beverage in Edinburgh's "The Laughing Duck", an hostelry renowned for it's "happy" people.

Requesting of the barman a "Scotch on the Rocks", I was regaled with "D'ye mean whisky 'n ice?".

I gave an affirmation.

"We widna gie ye onything, else" quoth he.

"Nae Mekhong,then?" would've been an inappropriate response.