PDA

View Full Version : Chiang Rai

August 21st, 2007, 20:34
Does anyone have any personal experiences to share regarding Chiang Rai. Particularly interested in accomodation and or bars with freelance availability.

August 22nd, 2007, 02:12
Does anyone have any personal experiences to share regarding Chiang Rai. Particularly interested in accomodation and or bars with freelance availability.

The Wangcome Hotel, gay bar is opp (at side), walking distance to other gay places, night bazaar and all centre attractions
Inn Come is a huge hotel with good standard at budget prices. Large disco pub on site which is popular wit gay crowd. Opp is a bar street with various venues, many gays cruising any gay staff - be discrete. Walking distance to city centre is about 10-12 mins.

August 22nd, 2007, 04:03
If you are interested in Thailand, may I suggest to travel by public bus from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai?
And use the old road which is longer, windy and therefore more time consuming?

While following my advice, soon after having Chiang Mai, the bus will travel a spectacular route with sweeping views. It looks like driving though a very extensive park with beautiful flowers and farms. From a higher bus seat the views are splendid.

Nearly half was the bus will stop for a break. You can use toilet and buy some refreshments.

If you are not pushed for time it might be an option to stop somewhere near there and stay for a day or two. You can observe true Lanna farming of large rice fields or fruit plantations. And you can visit hot springs and enjoy thermal activities of several geyser’s.

Almost nobody, Thai or foreign, don't know about this. It's really stunning.

Ask at any travel shop in Chiang Mai or even better the local TAT office near the river for further details, especially good and affordable accommodation between CM and CR, and of course, any further detailed information.

If you find some an handsome companion, it can be even more interesting in several ways.

Have an inside view. It's worth it. The north is magnificent.

The hot springs near Rannong are also interesting and the hills a nice contrast to the bordering Andaman Sea but I always found the sweeping Lanna mountains with an enormous variety of flowers just stunning at every time I have been there.

Bob
August 22nd, 2007, 05:25
I can also recommend the Wangcome, have stayed there many times. Great location (can walk to everywhere you want to go in town).

The 3+ hour trip between Chiangmai and Chiangrai is mostly an annoying trip full of ups and downs and half a million curves. Taking the bus actually lets you enjoy it more (a bit of sightseeing versus hanging on for dear life). Cheap too. Bus station in Chiangrai is about 2 1/2 blocks from the Wangcome, easy walking distance.

Night market in Chiangrai is fairly nice - and very near the Wangcome (just next to the Bus Station, really).

For side trips, you ought to stop at Wat Rawng Koon which is 4-5 kilometers south of Chiangrai....this is the "wedding cake" temple. Nothing like it in all of Thailand.
Another, bit longer side trip, is to go up to the Queen Mother's chalet and gardens at Doi Tung (about 75 minutes by car north of Chiangrai). Very nice (although its usually cloudy/rainy up there) and worth the trip.

I've been in the two boy bars up there a couple of times over the years. Nothing to get excited about (rather dull and drab).

Tom, I'm not sure what you call the city center in Chiangrai. Where the night market is? If so, it's maybe 250 yards from the Wangcome (east one city block, right or south less than a block) and you'd have to dilly dally to turn that into a 10-12 minute walk (more like 3-4).

Edit to add some photos:

1. Wangcome Hotel

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/robertjb/Wangcome01.jpg

2. Wat Rawng Koon

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/robertjb/Chiangrai011.jpg

3. Gardens at Queen Mother's Chalet at Doi Tung

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/robertjb/DoiTung31.jpg

TrongpaiExpat
August 22nd, 2007, 07:23
I too have stayed at the Wagcome in Chiang Rai but was not as impressed as you two guys. Good location from the bus station and clean is the best I can say about the place. Tour groups use the hotel. There were some rental car agencies on the road next to the hotel with good deals.

IMHO forget the boy bars. If you want a companion take one from Chiang Mai.

There is this nice restaurant just outside the city center that is set on decks around a lake where traditional Lanna music is played from a raft. Dam, if I can remember the name of the place and I have been there twice. If you take a tuk-tuk have him return for you as well, the restaurant is not on a main road.

Bob
August 22nd, 2007, 09:22
There is this nice restaurant just outside the city center that is set on decks around a lake where traditional Lanna music is played from a raft. Dam, if I can remember the name of the place and I have been there twice. If you take a tuk-tuk have him return for you as well, the restaurant is not on a main road.

I've been there a couple of times too....nice place.....but, like Trongpai, I don't have a clue as to it's name. The Lanna music players sit on a raft which somewhat swings back and forth on the lake (well, really a pond) but the whole scene
has a northern/Lanna feel to it. Worth going to (and, if you really want the name, let me know and I can ask the man about it this Sunday when I talk to him on MSN).

When I recommended the Wangcome, I wasn't suggesting it was a fancy place. It's maybe a 3 star at best but decent place and the location is excellent. If you want the high-priced spread, go to the Dusit on the island at the north end of town as it's fancy as hell with beautiful grounds (but nowhere near anything). I stayed at the Dusit my first trip to Chiangrai but have stayed at the Wangcome the last 6-8 times I've been there. Up to you.

August 24th, 2007, 02:54

I've been there a couple of times too....nice place.....but, like Trongpai, I don't have a clue as to it's name. The Lanna music players sit on a raft which somewhat swings back and forth on the lake (well, really a pond) but the whole scene
has a northern/Lanna feel to it. Worth going to (and, if you really want the name, let me know and I can ask the man about it this Sunday when I talk to him on MSN).

When I recommended the Wangcome, I wasn't suggesting it was a fancy place. It's maybe a 3 star at best but decent place and the location is excellent. If you want the high-priced spread, go to the Dusit on the island at the north end of town as it's fancy as hell with beautiful grounds (but nowhere near anything). I stayed at the Dusit my first trip to Chiangrai but have stayed at the Wangcome the last 6-8 times I've been there. Up to you.

Just right from the end of San Khong Luang Soi 6, turning south (off Khong Chang Soi 9, at its end), is Khum Jao Nang, a fine restaurant with live guitar. Food will arrive by boat from a kitchen across the Pont.

August 24th, 2007, 20:48

Just right from the end of San Khong Luang Soi 6, turning south (off Khong Chang Soi 9, at its end), is Khum Jao Nang, a fine restaurant with live guitar. Food will arrive by boat from a kitchen across the Pont.

Thank's ttom, I'll give that one a miss.

atri1666
August 24th, 2007, 21:24
Has somebody informations about the "Wiang Inn" Hotel? Its just a few steps from the Wangcom-Hotel. I plan next year a tour with my friend to long time unvisited places.

August 25th, 2007, 08:27
Has somebody informations about the "Wiang Inn" Hotel? Its just a few steps from the Wangcom-Hotel. I plan next year a tour with my friend to long time unvisited places.

Stayed there in '04. Another big hotel catering to Chinese tour groups. It was ok but I wasn't impressed. Food greasy and cheap. Decor cheap imitation. That sort of thing.

atri1666
August 25th, 2007, 11:04

Stayed there in '04. Another big hotel catering to Chinese tour groups. It was ok but I wasn't impressed. Food greasy and cheap. Decor cheap imitation. That sort of thing.

Thanks. Than i will prefer dusit island resort.

August 25th, 2007, 13:20

Thanks. Than i will prefer dusit island resort.

Please note, the Dusit Island Hotel is located well out of the city. It's a comfortable hotel, popular with tour groups and conferences, but I found the hotel rather boring.

August 25th, 2007, 16:14
I stayed at the Wangcome a few years ago and it was satisfactory.
Two "must sees" for first-time visitors to what I still regard as the most beautiful part of Thailand.
Firstly,The night market has excellent hill-tribe artifacts (I'm looking at some as I write this); it's immeasurably more interesting (and less- tourist oriented) than Chiang Mai's. If it's still there, eat in the Rattanakosin Restaurant which overlooks the market.
Secondly, hire a car and drive to Mae Salong. It's a mountain community originally established by fleeing Chinese Nationalists and was, until quite recently, cut off from the rest of Thailand.
The mountainous road is beautiful, quiet and smooth, ideal for gentle driving and at every bend in the road you will see stunning scenery.

Wesley
August 25th, 2007, 17:00
I stayed with the bf it was a wonderful experience.

Other than that the city was great and the people even more wonderful. As to accommodations I can't help but thought that if you have opportunity to go it would be some time well spent.

Wes