PDA

View Full Version : China Airline Accident

August 20th, 2007, 12:03
banned troll's opening post deleted-

Elephantspike

Sen Yai
August 20th, 2007, 12:22
Yes BG, but fortunately the plane was on the ground and all passengers and crew managed to escape.

The plane had flown in from Taipei carrying more than 150 passengers. It is not clear what caused the blaze.

"The fire started when the first engine below the main left wing exploded, a minute after the aircraft entered the parking spot," the transport ministry's Akihiko Tamura told the Associated Press.

Witnesses reported hearing loud explosions as passengers were being evacuated. All passengers were safely evacuated, officials said.

Read the full story: BBC News (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/6954397.stm)

August 20th, 2007, 14:16
It's certainly made my mind up for me. I was in the process of deciding which route/airline to fly on my next visit and China Air Business class (very cheap) via Schiphol was an option. No longer! :geek:

August 20th, 2007, 14:42
They are the only foreign airline that gets to fly down Tokyo Bay in Twilight to Haneda. But while that's a memorable experience they do seem to have worse luck than any of the other airlines I fly.

August 20th, 2007, 15:27
It's certainly made my mind up for me. I was in the process of deciding which route/airline to fly on my next visit and China Air Business class (very cheap) via Schiphol was an option. No longer! :geek:

While being frightened like this, Thailand might surely not being the right destination. Especially in Thailand the casual accident rate is pretty high.

Accidents are part of live.

Further details: www.airsafe.com/events/regions/as_nofat.htm (http://www.airsafe.com/events/regions/as_nofat.htm)

August 20th, 2007, 15:40
While being frightened like this, Thailand might surely not being the right destination. Especially in Thailand the casual accident rate is pretty high.

Sorry can't quite follow your logic. If one was afraid of flying per se one would never travel by air at any time, regardless of the destination. The chance of an accident happening is always there when flying but is far less than, for instance, when travelling by car - it's just that it is more than likely to be fatal!
No, this latest accident just drew my attention to (and highlighted) China Air's safety record which is pretty damn poor.

Hmmm
August 20th, 2007, 18:12
Who does China Airlines sell their old planes to ? Budget Thai airlines !

The China Airlines 747 that fell out of the sky a few years ago between Taipei and Hong Kong - killing all on board - had already been sold to Orient Thai (One-Two-Go).

Hmmm
August 20th, 2007, 18:44
"The final investigation report found that the accident was the result of metal fatigue due to inadequate maintenance after a previous incident."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_Airlines_Flight_611

Hmmm
August 20th, 2007, 19:14
And which 747 did Orient Thai buy from China Airlines ? The 747 that did crash because of inadequate maintenance, or a 747 that may have crashed because of pilot error ?

August 20th, 2007, 19:21
I don't know what "BG" meansSen Yai has decided that you are a former poster boygeenyus, reincarnated. I think it's probable rather than conclusive

August 20th, 2007, 19:34
Sen Yai has decided that you are a former poster boygeenyus, reincarnated.
My thought also. Same obnoxious and combative attitude :cheers:

August 20th, 2007, 19:35
Sen Yai has decided that you are a former poster boygeenyus, reincarnated.
My thought also. Same obnoxious and combative attitude :cheers:

August 20th, 2007, 22:22
horrible..........I doubt I will use its service again :blackeye:

August 20th, 2007, 23:55
I was a bit uncomfortable to read the news story, as I flew China Airlines -- TODAY -- on a flight TPE to BKK that departed one hour after the one that burnt/blew-up in Okinawa.

Smiles
August 21st, 2007, 00:09
Off topic for China Airlines, but on topic for air crashes in general . . . this is one of the statistics I like: " ... The (Boeing) 777 has not had any fatal events ... " ( http://www.airsafe.com/events/models/b777.htm ).

I guess one could counter that the 777's "time is due" for bad things to happen, but the 777 has been around since the mid 1990's, it has been a huge seller for Boeing and lots are up there winging through the sky quite safely it seems.

My upcoming flights to Thailand (November) and Australia (March) are with UAL and Singapore, and although there were many reasons to pick the flight times, one of them was the fact that on my choices included the 777 on both. I'm not superstitious about this ~ generally I fly what I get ~ but I'm always slightly more pleased when the 777 number comes up on the ticket.

Cheers ...

August 21st, 2007, 04:27
Check out the attached site.
Probability of a crash with any reasonably competent airline are about 1 in 8 million.

Look who's bottom of the list....... don't fly with them.

http://www.planecrashinfo.com/rates.htm

Smiles
August 21st, 2007, 04:39
Thanks for that link. I enjoyed this comment from there: " . . . If a passenger boarded a flight at random, once a day, everyday, it would be approximately 22,000 years before he or she would be killed . . . ".

So, it's a certainty :blackeye: :blackeye: ... like everything else, sooner or later.

Cheers ...

August 21st, 2007, 08:23
I work for Boeing, and I have access to daily reports that include all the "Near misses" and mechanical problems that you won't see in the press. Trust me, I will not fly China or Korean.

August 21st, 2007, 08:31
Check out the attached site.
Probability of a crash with any reasonably competent airline are about 1 in 8 million.

Look who's bottom of the list....... don't fly with them.

http://www.planecrashinfo.com/rates.htm

Yes, a very good site.
Even though....your chances of dying from crossing the streets in Thailand are a hell of a lot higher than flying China Airlines.

I've flown with them before and found it kind of dumpy even though it was cheap. Even the stewadesses were a bit on the frumpy side. You get what you pay for. I fly Cathay Pacific and find it's a lot classier all around, even if it is more expensive. The quality of my expierience is determining my choice of airline.

You can play the odds in life, but when your number is up, your number is up.
And none of us knows when that is.