PDA

View Full Version : Tipping in Thailand. Who and when.

August 16th, 2007, 22:12
Guys,

Aussie has given me a subject, I for one, am definitely interested in, I am not interested in Bar boys and how much nonsense at all, its boring and been overly covered.

I mean for services, other than the obvious, including bell boys, porters, restaurants, Hotel receptions and maids.

Who do you tip??

I definitely tip the bell boy, on arrival and departure as I expect my luggage carrying as I am a lazy bastard.

The maid, I leave a tip when I am leaving. Reception, I usually don't bother, but will if there is a large tip box near where you pay the bill, as some Hotels have to embarrass you into it.

I have never been to Japan, but been advised, not to, as it is impolite. Singapore, the brochures tell you not to, issued by the Government!

I know the protocols in the UK, however, I took my sister and co for lunch to a fairly upscale joint and the service was not up to par.

She snatched the tip out of my hand, whilst the waitress was checking the bill, shook her head, told me off in the car park and returned the tip to me.

Her words were "Tipping is for service, we didn't get any!"

Tam and I would reduce the tip in Thailand,for bad service, but tip anyway and not return.

What do you people do. Amounts are really irrelevant. Also, do you tip when service charge is added to your bill???

I was once told by a waiter that the Hotel only gave them a percentage of the service charge and the Hotel kept the lion's share! Tam said, that was not "our problem"

Because this board has an international membership, I would be interested in all your views please and for my own benefit it would help me know if I am being a bit soft or not.

August 16th, 2007, 22:20
In the US, I tip 15 to 20 percent on all restaurant tabs.
In Thailand, at a fancy place, if there is a service charge, I just add 20 baht.
No service charge, 10 percent.
Street restaurants: nothing
In between restaurants: leave the change

I don't see any reason to tip as if you are in the US in Thailand.
Of course I tip bellboys. And when I tip housekeeping, I find it helps to tip daily. You get something for it usually.

Yes, if the service is really great or really bad, that can change the amounts. And unlike the US, it is OK to leave nothing here if thats what they (don't) deserve.

August 16th, 2007, 22:23
wx40afp,

Thanks for linking. We must both of been typing at the same time!!

Also, I am guilty of giving 20/40 baht per bar for a drink tip. It can mount when you hit plenty of bars and only have "a" drink, and then move on.

Another problem , is the downwards "glance" I have felt, when I have given 100 baht on occasion, having had a few, then the next time handed over 20 baht.

A karaoke, where I have a designated waiter, sure, I would,always,usually 100 baht.

wx40afp, you are right, they expect it, even if they spend the evening watching the football and not giving you a backwards glance!!

August 16th, 2007, 22:26
The most annoying thing is how the waiters stand over you and look into your wallet when they bring the check.

August 16th, 2007, 22:29
The most annoying thing is how the waiters stand over you and look into your wallet when they bring the check.

You are so right, I say, "its for bills you know,its not all mine!" not that it cuts any ice!

August 16th, 2007, 22:40
I have to agree with Raksiam's method which very closely resembles my thoughts on tipping.
I must admit I have parted with the odd 500 or 1000 bht note when service has been above and beyond, so to speak. (No not talking about bar boys or masseurs.)
I've never had a waiter stand over me though, how rude!

PinkSilom
August 16th, 2007, 23:02
During my first few trips to Thailand, I would tip for even the most appalling service. It would really bother me that the Thais would not understand what they had done wrong and just think I was tight. Now if the service is dreadful, I politely say, 'Sorry, no tip. The service was not good.' That comment has been met with surprise and with apologies, but never anger.

Restaurants that do not include tax or service on the their menu prices annoy me, in any country. It is just a con to make the prices appear lower. I would not leave a tip on principle.

Wesley
August 16th, 2007, 23:35
But I never over tip, and if they have the Gaul to add it to my check with out asking I certainly don't feel obligated to; here especially, when In Thailand I am much more generous as I want to be remembered as a gentlemen but not in extravagance. In USA I tip 15 % because I know most of them live off that tip.

Here, no one tips but me, I do it because I want to, not because I have to and at all my regular stops I get special service where they know me.

If I think I will never see them again in my life, I still tip. If its rude for me to tip When in Rome ... and so on. I watch to see if others do, if I am not sure. But, in regular places I like to see the smile when they see me come in.

I treat people like I would want to be treated and never over the top. Its Rude and a show off to do so. But when I am a regular to a place I like to chat and they feel comfortable and I am sure they didn't spit on my food before it was sent out. I like to go in and they already know what I order and what I like and how it should be cooked. When I am treated well be sure there is pay back. I like guys who don''t expect it and my bf won't take it for fear I will think he is there for the money. He comes from a good family and his words to me are, "if I need money all I have to do is ask my parents I don't need yours."

If they are rude so am I, if they are kind so am I, its my rule of thumb to stay away from people that are only fair weather friends. If they stick with me through the tough times be sure I am there for them when they need me.

Tipping can be a pleasure or the opposite its up to you as to how you are treated.

Wesley

August 17th, 2007, 00:23
20 or 30 to us is very little but to the waiter of waitress it is a meal. When tipping I usually hand the tip directly to the waiter or waitress giving the service and leave only a small baht tip for the house. In some of the open bars I have seen some of the staff boys go immediately to get some food when I give a tip and I have also watch as some boys stand by and watch others eating when they have no money. When I notice this I always give enought to them to go and eat. One must be aware of how the economy is affecting these poorer people. When i see someone hungry I just can't do nothing. Usually I walk them to a vendor and pay for the food rather than give them money.

August 17th, 2007, 00:47
I remember a barmaid in Bangkok once told me excitedly that she was going back to somewhere in Issan for vacation to see her family. She had paid for her bus tickets and had bought the family some treats.
She was a wonderful person, she gives exemplary service, she remembers my name, my Mom's name and what I drink and when I drink it!
She was taken quite aback when I gave her an envelope which contained enough baht to cover the bus tickets and pay for the "vacation."
What the hell....she deserved it, every baht of it!
She still asks my friends in Bangkok how I am and how is my Mom.
It's that "warm & fuzzy" thing I think.

Dick
August 17th, 2007, 02:15
If ever a phrase was drummed into my head by the bf, it is 'twenty baht enough!' I risked scorn if I deviated from that without asking him first. In Thailand, Thai people do not usually tip someone for doing their job.
We once spent a whole day sea canoeing, i.e. we sat in the canoe while the crew paddled, and at the end of the day the bf agreed that we tip the paddle boy 100B. That was extra ordinary for him!

20B per piece of luggage to the porter.
20B per day to the maid, paid daily. (I often went to 30 or 40 arguing with the bf that there were two of us, and pointing to his mess in the room)
loose change every day to whichever street beggar looked the most genuine.
20B to the restaurant waiter (meal for two); up to 50B on a larger spend if bf was smiling and the food and service really good.

If more in our party at the restaurant, or if going up market, I would always tip the boss waiter 100B before we sat down just for being there. Amazing how attentive and fast was the service from all the waiters attending our table after that. I would then tip the lesser waiter(s) 50B.

Forget percentages... think in lump sum terms only. I realise in America it is customary to tip 15-20%, but that isn't the habit in Europe where 10% is generally the norm for quality service in decent restaurants. Problem is that many Americans forget themselves when they travel abroad and tipping to that level only leads to disappointment when us Europeans who have read the do's and don't books draw from our wad of 20B notes.

Bob
August 17th, 2007, 04:36
Looks like most of us do the same. I always tip 15-20% in a restaurant here in the US even if the service is lousy (not sure why, just feel required to do that as I think the wait staff is always underpaid; however, I vote for lousy service by not returning). In Thailand, I tip 20 baht for breakfast or small meals and perhaps 10% or so for dinner.

If the porter carries my bag (I usuallly let them), he gets 20 baht per bag.

Like one poster mentioned, I always tip the hotel maids 20 baht per day of my stay and I make every effort to pay them once a week or so (I usually stay 2-3 weeks in the same hotel). I search them out and hand it to them directly....and it is unbelievable how good and fast the service is for the rest of your stay. They truly appreciate it.

When I see a service charge added to a restaurant bill, I am at a loss of what to do. I still usually leave a tip but I feel like I'm screwed either way I go.

As for my tipping, Thai friends generally think I'm an idiot for leaving just about anything. Oh well, can't help myself.

August 17th, 2007, 05:11
A tip is an acknowledgment for service, or teaching someone a lesson. ..

Tipping is customary in Thailand’s tourist’s spots, although perhaps not to the extent or magnitude that is practised in many western countries. All public taxi rates are metered, and both Thais and local expats commonly round off the fare upwards as a tip. High-end tourist oriented restaurants and major hotels may include a ten percent service charge in the bill.

For hotels in busy tourist areas, it is customary to tip hotel staff. Upcountry hotel staff may not expect tips, but of course they always appreciate a few baht in appreciation of their efforts. For example, it is customary to tip the bellboy 10 or 20 baht for carrying a load of heavy baggage up to your room, and this is practised by Thai guests even at the smaller upcountry hotels and resorts.

In all restaurants except for soup shops and roadside food stalls, Thai people will leave a tip of coins left over from paying a bill, unless a restaurant is more upscale with professional wait staff, and then a cash tip - perhaps less than 10% - is usually offered.

Bear in mind that the majority of workers in the hospitality and service industries in Thailand earn very little, so a small tip goes a long way. Of course, if the service is unacceptable (which is unlikely) then don't tip. Residents in urban areas like Bangkok have grown accustomed to tipping. In fact, many a taxi driver has given their blessing and hope for eternal riches on the back of an unexpected tip. It doesn't hurt to give a little. And the smile of appreciation will light up your day.

Usually the cashier ensures that all tips are collected and shared afterwards with all staff according to a certain key.

In Thailand, leave the coins with the waiter but do tip 10 TBT at least - or nothing while 20 TBT are a good tip – it’s nearly a meal. With a larger bill and attentive staff 50 TBT are generous.

Don’t complain about lousy service if happened, simply leave 1 or 2 TBT as tip. The message will be understand.

In hotel, the room maid is happy if you leave a 20 TBT note under your pillow – if you’re not staying in an Isaan hotel (they will most likely place it on the bed or somewhere else again).

For luggage about 20 TBT per piece is good, but not more than 50 TBT all together.

From a good friend of mine who is working as bell boy at an very good Pattaya hotel I knew he get about 6 500 TBT salary for 6 days / 8 hours daily plus overtime, free meals, free laundry – but between 6 000 and 10 000 TBT on tips every month. That’s a very good income in Thailand.

Don’t tip openly. Be discrete. If you get your quotation usually in a box or small map etc. Just leave some tip inside the map etc; this tip will end up at the staff trunk. If you want to tip the waiter extra have a note underneath while handing the map etc back.

Don’t overdue it. Some people are leaving 500 TBT or more as tip. This is all wrong and a clear insult. There is no need to show that you can afford a large tip while Thai staff is poor. If you are really happy with someone’s service just go back next time and have a small present or something similar. Or invite for a drink somewhere later after work. If it’s san student spend some time selecting good books which are needed for studying. This takes time since many books are just lousy and wrongly translated. The Thai students don’t know how to choose. If you can advice – or even help out with some cash while you’re buying something for yourself too, it’s a grat gift for many. And the message will be spread out, that you’re a good hearted person. That’s acceptable and one of some proper ways how to make friends.

Nothing is for free. If you give some, you expect the same or more next time. Therefore be generous if you expect generosity. Money can be of some importance but it’s not everything …

Doug
August 17th, 2007, 05:35
A lot of good advice here. One person not mentioned that I tip at regular intervals is the elderly night security guard at my apartment. He is very welcoming and make my guests feel comfortable.

One aspect of tipping has always bothered me. When you have 2 waiters who provide equally stellar service, why does one get a small tip and the other a huge tip simply because one restaurant charges 80 baht for a good meal and the other charges 450 for almost the same meal. Both work just as hard to please. It doesn't seem fair.

Alaan
August 17th, 2007, 06:47
I find that if I am staying at a hotel for more than just overnight or a couple of days, maybe for 1-2 weeks, I always give the day receptionist as well as the night receptionist a tip of Bt100 on arrival or during the first day.... in my experience the service received thereafter is always beyond normal expectations.

I also give a tip the the security at the hotel and this always guarantees a polite welcome to any friends I take back, which puts them at ease rather than going through an ordeal when handing over the id card etc . I usually tip the room maids about B20-Bt40 daily or every second day, again this results in flexibility if I surface late and..... extra towels and water etc.. are always left if I have more than one friend staying over.

I do the same at the restaurant and any after hours venues I expect to visit a few times. Give a tip on the first visit of say Bt50 or Bt100 to the main/head waiter at my normal restaurant I find the service for the rest of the trip is excellent. At a dance/karaoke venue such as Xray or Bang[Sundance] a similar tip on the first visit to the main waiter/manager always seems to guarantee a good table if the venue is busy or a tip to the DJ gets you preference for the music you want to hear. If service is good, even with a service charge added I normally still give a tip, usually straight in to the waiters hand or top pocket.

At karaoke or dance venue with a designated waiter who only presents one bill at the end of the evening I always tip Bt100.

I tend not to give tips based on percentages of bills, I always just tip flat amounts of normally between Bt20 and Bt100 depending on the circumstances and services received. Restaurants normally Bt20 irrespective of the bill value.

So for a small outlay on tips it can help you enjoy your visit all that much more, I find that when I visit Thailand I only have so much time for having fun and it helps when you don't have any hassles with things like trying to find a good table at a club or having a bad experience with poor service which can spoil the mood for the night.. when on holiday I want to avoid that.

One thing I notice from some of the posters with Thai boyfriends/friends here [and on other threads] is that some of the boys are critical of the amount their farang friend tips [too much!] I don't find this... When I am out with my friend of 8 years, I give him what I feel will be enough to cover the evenings entertainment and leave him to pay the bills [ I hate checking the bill in Xray/Maya/X-yte etc because they seem to present a bill every few minutes for the replenishment of ice,coke,soda etc.. and I get bored with it]... he always gives a good tip, minimum Bt20, for good service, and yes I know it is coming out of my pocket.. but I always let him keep whatever is left at the end of the evening for taking care of things.. and he knows this, so the tips will ultimately be coming out of the money he will be left with.. but he still tips well.

This is my tipping guideline as a visitor , if I was staying in Thailand on a permanent basis with a budget to keep to.... i'm not sure if the guidelines would be the same.

August 17th, 2007, 07:07
Alaan/Guys,

A definite problem when you live here and are known by them, they try to get more from you especially in Pattaya.

It is not unusual at all, for me to hear them speaking to friends, he has big money automatically thinking they are in for the big tip.

Secondly, when they think they know you, to start the routine of, they have a wife and kids to support and its low season etc. and try the "make you feel guilty routine" however, that is usually the same in many places not only Thailand, "familiarity breeding contempt."

I think if anything, according to many posters, I may have been a bit over with bellboys and maids, which I have been told about, from Tam before.

He has said, the get tipped, especially in the larger Hotels very often

Another point is, you tend to set yourself up for this, as once you have tipped at a level, that becomes the "expected norm"

August 17th, 2007, 09:38
Thais I find, will not get very upset if you don't tip enough or at all. If you feel you got poor service, put all your change back into your wallet. Why feel bad about that? I get really up tight reading all this crap about to tip or not tip.
Never feel compelled to tip unless you really want to. Life's too freakin short to worry about this.

August 17th, 2007, 12:55
I now don't worry about tippint in Thailand anymore, as my boyfriend takes care of the tips. He seems to know what they expect, and so far has been very fair.

I always make sure that the bellboys, and the maids are taken care of at our hotels. Tip cabs based on service etc.

Smiles
August 17th, 2007, 14:01
As above: I let the beloved do all the tipping. He's Thai, and therefore never wrong. Saved me thousands over the years. :cheers:

Cheers ...

August 17th, 2007, 14:19
Thais I find, will not get very upset if you don't tip enough or at all. If you feel you got poor service, put all your change back into your wallet. Why feel bad about that? I get really up tight reading all this crap about to tip or not tip.
Never feel compelled to tip unless you really want to. Life's too freakin short to worry about this.

Boogyman,

You are a bit more hard faced than some of us here.

Sometimes, I want to be the same as that, sometimes glad I am not!

No criticism at all, my younger sister is in a high powered job and sounds very similar to your comments, if she don't like the service, they are getting Nowt

To someone rude, giving it straight between the eyes has never been a problem for me, tipping has, I am just weird maybe!

August 17th, 2007, 16:48
Kevin, I hope I don't get this moniker, hahahah.
I can be very, very practical (I like that word better) but that does not mean I don't have my softer side, when I go nuts trying to be nice to someone who is likewise, nice.

PeterUK
August 17th, 2007, 17:06
But I never over tip, and if they have the Gaul to add it to my check with out asking I certainly don't feel obligated to;
Wesley

I bet your eyes are Roman all over the place with anger when that happens.

August 18th, 2007, 02:45
[quote="Richsac"]I now don't worry about tippint in Thailand anymore, as my boyfriend takes care of the tips. He seems to know what they expect, and so far has been very fair.

We / I do the same. I provide my Supervisor frequently with a sufficiant amount of cash and he knows exactly how to spend it wisely, including tips. We / I've always been treated nicely and never ever had any problem. It doesn't need much - if you know how to do it....

August 18th, 2007, 13:09
funny, one time one of my thai friends gave a special girl in the bar in a gay disco some tip, every time since I go to the bar, in that part of the disco where she works , and even when the drink is on the entrance, she always give me killer drinks. maybe the reason is not the tip given longtime ago but more that I am a friend of a friend of. ....and she remember and give me a big smile and how are you, even if I have not been there for one year. Oh in November I will again have a chat with her about the comics she is reading before rushhour, give her 50 on the top of the entrance paper, and i am sure i will still have this "killer" drinks. If I think the drink is to "soft" some time I have just returned my glass back and said, please more, and I always get it...I dont know why, but in a way she must like me -)

Sen Yai
August 18th, 2007, 13:23
Sorry hansiThe2, but she likes me too! And I've never given her a tip!

She always pours a stiff one for me - but then, so do all the bar staff!.....I assume your are talking about DJ!

Wesley
August 18th, 2007, 13:44

Your Avatar looks much better... did Jinks help you, your other one made one think you were already pissed at the world before they ever read your post I found myself actually reading this one as I did not pre-conceive it to be negative in its content.

Wesley

Wesley
August 18th, 2007, 13:50
But I never over tip, and if they have the Gaul to add it to my check with out asking I certainly don't feel obligated to;
Wesley

I bet your eyes are Roman all over the place with anger when that happens.

Just what is Roman or are you referring to Gaul. Just wondering if that was a snipe or not for future reference should I run into another of your posts some where on the forum or, are you just and English major with no papers to grade.

August 18th, 2007, 15:12
Sorry hansiThe2, but she likes me too! And I've never given her a tip!

She always pours a stiff one for me - but then, so do all the bar staff!.....I assume your are talking about DJ!

yeah. the reason I did not mention the name, is I don't want her to get fired, she, and the bar staff, likes you too :cheers:

btw it is the place where you can taste the gin from the tonic for 100 bht after you paid on the entrance. In weekends entrence is 200 bht but you get 2 free drinks at your entrance. I still love it, one of my friends is always dancing on the stage every night, and no he is not a frrelancer or moneyboy

PeterUK
August 18th, 2007, 15:15
Just what is Roman or are you referring to Gaul. Just wondering if that was a snipe or not for future reference should I run into another of your posts some where on the forum or, are you just and English major with no papers to grade.

Sorry, Wesley, just my warped sense of humour. If you'd written 'gaul' with a small g it would have been just a misspelling and unworthy of comment; it was the fact that you capitalised it that made it funny, at least for me. 'Roman' was my feeble attempt to do the same thing with the word 'roaming', misspelling and capitalising it. Anyway, you have a nice line in rebukes - I like your 'English major with no papers to grade' - and I feel suitably ashamed of myself.

Wesley
August 18th, 2007, 18:58
[- I like your 'English major with no papers to grade' - and I feel suitably ashamed of myself.[/quote]

no problem my friend I had had my sleeping pill and by the time I got to your post I was half asleep. I know you Write a lot I wish I had you talent. I have always wanted to but never had the time , I guess with all the post over the past few years probably I could have written one with Gaul spelled as gall all over the pages . it was cute play on words you used and I chuckled as I wrote my response knowing it would drag some comment out of you. hope you have a great day

Wesley

Sen Yai
August 18th, 2007, 19:42
btw it is the place where you can taste the gin from the tonic for 100 bht after you paid on the entrance. In weekends entrence is 200 bht but you get 2 free drinks at your entrance. I still love it, one of my friends is always dancing on the stage every night, and no he is not a frrelancer or moneyboy

So do I, and I'm not a money boy either! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/grindance.gif

August 18th, 2007, 21:15
well at least i understand, I have been a moneyboy when I was young he he :cheers: