PDA

View Full Version : Sukhothai Hotel Bangkok

sydneyboy
February 12th, 2006, 14:21
Has anyone stayed at the Sukhothai in Bangkok? Is it gay friendly? There was an intriguing oblique reference to this effect in a recent Sticky Rice article.

February 12th, 2006, 23:58
Usually stay there when in Bangkok. I would not characterize as gay friendly. Rather I would say they are tolerant of their guests indudging themselves.

That said, it is a lovely hotel with gorgeous rooms and a fantastic inner courtyard.

Carnarvon-old
February 13th, 2006, 00:10
I never stayed there but met a Swiss guy who did and said they did not care whom you brought with you (if this is what you mean by ┬л gay friendly ┬╗).

I had same comment for a guy I was mating while in Bangkok. He was the guest of course, not the host.

February 13th, 2006, 00:15
Mostly when people say "gay friendly", they're really asking whether or not they can bring home a different pick-up every night. Don't know why that makes it "gay friendly", more like "slut friendly".

February 13th, 2006, 19:02
It is an expensive hotel, but gets a lot of gay guests, and has many gay staff. The hotel is in various wings, which can mean access without running a security gauntlet is easier.
However I suspect they may frown on you bringing a street boy through their exclusive hotel!

February 13th, 2006, 19:17
"The Sukhothai Hotel epitomises the exquisite taste and hospitality that is the essence of Thailand. In every room and along every corridor is found a part of Thailand more often seen in a museum or palace."

www.sukhothai.com/ (http://www.sukhothai.com/)

Rooms and suites from low season US$175 to USD2000

On my low pension I cannot afford to go there but friends rave over the afternoon tea chocolate buffet on weekends with a classical guitarist plucking. The Sunday Brunch in the Collonade is well patronized by HiSo Thai friends of Dorothy who queue/wait in line at the foie gras flambe' station. Watch out for Dame Sanitree. Ex- Brit Embassy chums say it does not always rise to the level dictated by the prices.

February 13th, 2006, 19:53
In a recent rundown of hotel buffet brunches, I was surprised to see that the Sukhothai was awarded only 3 stars. The Four Seasons and the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit were both ranked higher.

February 14th, 2006, 00:05
A decade ago you could meet 10 farangs on soi 4 and half of them would be staying at the world's gayest, the Sukhothai Hotel. Since then the hotel has gone business, has lost its well earned reputation which was more for its superb decor, esteemed restaurant, pool, first class service and world's gayest Sunday brunch. A lot of that is still true but it's just doesn't seem to be the hotel of choice for the gays who loved to stay there, anymore. Still, I have heard no complaints on it, much praise.

sydneyboy
February 14th, 2006, 12:36
Is there a 5 star "preferred" hotel at the moment?

February 14th, 2006, 14:27
Sydneyboy yes I have stayed at the Sukothai hotel recently and highly recommend it. It is owned and operated by Thais and and such has a certain local feel to it. It has a very nice health center and swimming pool where you may meet other guests. It also has a useful restaurant, Italian near the pool and another Thai one out front. The rooms away from the pool are the nicest, older but very large and comfortable. It is certainly gay friendly, and you may expect to be treated like any other guest with a high level of discretion and pleasant good service.

Another hotel I can highly recommend and also the one where I always stay is the Peninsular, directly opposite the river from the Oriental. It is less of a tourist attraction than the Oriental so you dint feel like just one of the thousands, the service is impeccable and the staff very friendly. It has the nicest pool and gardens in all of Bangkok with small pavilions where you may retreat.There is also a small Thai village style restaurant (style; dirty duck ubud) in the gardens and a fabulous Chinese restaurant. The breakfast buffet is incredible, you may choose between Chinese Thai or western fare, or all three and the quality is superb.
The rooms are very comfortable with the best beds in the whole world,you are guaranteed a good sleep.If you can try and get a suit with king size bed or twin, as you get the best of all worlds. This gives you a reception room with a desk and guest toilet plus a nice size living room with lounge chairs and a dinning table, with spectacular viewes of the river. They also furnish each room with large generous vases full of fresh orchards and bowls of exotic fruit. The bathrooms are large and pleasant and lead off from a dressing room and the main bedroom.Room service is one of the best and you will be treated like royalty, even the housekeepers are immaculately cute and turn down your bed and remember just how you like it to be on your return.

I can highly recommend the Peninsular. It is gay friendly or perhaps user friendly full stop. You will never feel a stranger and the service is one of the best in the world.There is a hotel boat that crosses the river when ever you wish to cross and the main public boat that will take you to most of the sites is opposite.You couldn't wish for a nicer place to stay. You will never find the same any where in the world, so enjoy.

February 14th, 2006, 14:44
Hon, it is the PENINSULA. Great hotel but the boat service across the river ceases at 11.45pm. Therefore, Dear, the only way back is by taxi.

February 14th, 2006, 15:05
tanks paul my spelling has always been creative. Itsnt the way back always by taxi ? Lets not get carried away by the thrills of the river especialy after a night out.

February 14th, 2006, 21:27
Lets not get carried away by the thrills of the river especialy after a night out.

Yeah, I find the Pen inconvenient too. Bit like going "south of the River". Prefer somewhere within stumbling distance in Bangkok.

February 14th, 2006, 21:41
It takes all of three minutes to cross the Taksin bridge and get to the Pen after the boats stop. No big deal, unless you've got some kind of mental barrier against the other side of the river.

Smiles
February 14th, 2006, 22:12
The prices rather than the river would stop me. 300 bucks (US) for a balcony!

I'm sure it's a lovely place (the pool looks great), but sorry ... for a weeks stay (or whatever) in Bangkok I'd rather spend 1000 baht per night, get a mediocre breakfast tossed in, and spend the day/night sanooking.

One positive merit of a place like the Peninsula would be that one would never in a million years bump into MrMacSydney by mistake.

PENINSULA HOTEL PRICE LIST:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/sawatdeephotos/Images2/peninsula.jpg

Cheers ...

February 15th, 2006, 09:19
Yea its expensive but they are always having specials worth asking for. And if you stay often enough they upgrade you almost on a regular basis to a suite busy or not.
Its one of the grandest hotels in Bang-kok, that was built immediately prior to the Asian collapse so never really took off but the standards remained constant, a chip off the old mother ship, the Peninsula in Hong Kong. For a few years they have been offering various specials.Though over Chinese new-year they were booked out. Its one of those places that once hooked always hooked. I have the same feelings about the Sukothai but know fewer of the staff over there,where as with the Peninsula staff, I feel like family. But both hotels have a certain relaxed charm as they have grounds and are set back from the bustle.

On the gay friendly issue, last time I was there a very large farang had no less than three "guides" staying with him which he later took up to Chiang mai .Far from being frowned upon they were treated like honored guests of the farang and they had a whale of a time. The staff going out of their way to make them feel comfortable and relaxed. Smiles all round.

The river thingy is no big deal as was mentioned, there is the Taksin bridge just up the road and the hotel is right on the river with incredible outlook over the whole city. But just for interest "south of the river" is by far the more interesting for visitors in my opinion. The street markets and saunas what ever have a very local flavour and you will almost always be the only farang. This is still a wonderful experience in the "city of Angles"

Smiles
February 15th, 2006, 10:03
" ... Er where is LOS ? I know it must be in Thailand, have a good trip Clawdaddy, South east Asia is heaven. I aslo dont look for western friends in particular... "

" ... Call me Ricky if you like. Well um I never paid before. But I only dated my own age. Tried flowers before, works magic ... "

" ... Moderator what does it mean to "off one of them" and how do you go about it ... ?"
Lots of funny buggers going on here, but not sure if I can arrive at proper details by myself.

Anyone else? . . . theories please.

Cheers ...

February 15th, 2006, 10:51
Let me help Smiles. Am I so full of contradictions? I think you are just not used to expat kiddies. We are a bit different. Acronyms have never been my strong point. I have a corporate dad who goes on for hours and I have no clue what he is on about, and usually fall asleep before I can ask. Yes they all say "he could try harder" but I prefer the Thai way "Smiley" any-way what else? We go to Bangkok every year during the Chinese new-year holidays, "Kung hei fat choi" etc etc. :cheers:

Smiles
February 15th, 2006, 11:07
A Daddy's boy, eh?
Well ... halfway there anyway.

Carry on, son.

Cheers ....

February 15th, 2006, 11:46
Thanks Smiles,
Your Avatar makes me scary. Thanks for the compliment. I am also in touch with my femine side being gay and all that. I hope to get a job in a hotel soon, would be nice if it can be in LOS. :p