PDA

View Full Version : "Economy" beds on a plane

August 8th, 2007, 04:10
have reported in the Daily Mail (UK paper) today that Lufthansa are considering introducing beds on their long haul plane, the A380, in economy class, as are Virgin considering it also. There would be three beds stacked on top of each other on each side, with 2 extra rows in the middle of the plane also. The charge would only be an extra UK pound 120 on top of an economy fare.

August 8th, 2007, 08:30
that would make the whole cabin look like the storage freezer for the dead people in the funeral home. :bounce:

August 8th, 2007, 12:29
You would not be allowed to be in a "BED" for landing or takeoff, so they will still have to provide a seat for you. This makes no sense.

Marsilius
August 8th, 2007, 15:32
Here is a link to the original article: http://www.travelmail.co.uk/article/art ... e_id=28606 (http://www.travelmail.co.uk/article/article_page.html?article_id=28606)

August 8th, 2007, 16:13
Like the new terminology - 'sardine class' and 'kipper class'. After viewing the photo they both seem very apt and will make a change from 'cattle class' !

Don't think the idea of a light buffet snack and a bottle of water will be very popular on long haul flights.

fedssocr
August 8th, 2007, 18:13
as some one who cannot sleep sitting in an airplane seat I love the idea. But there's zero storage space in that mock up. Where does all the carry on luggage go?

pronto
August 8th, 2007, 18:55
You would not be allowed to be in a "BED" for landing or takeoff, so they will still have to provide a seat for you. This makes no sense.

According to the labels on the mock-up on the link, the seats convert into the beds after take-off.

pronto
August 8th, 2007, 18:56

According to the labels on the mock-up on the link, the seats convert into the beds after take-off.

August 8th, 2007, 20:11

Assuming that the idea, laughable as it is, ever came to fruition as per the mock-up:

So you are allocated the top bunk/seat, great if you want to lay down for the entire flight, but what if you wanted to sit and read or to take a walk?

I checked the date was not April 1st so assume that the person who came up with this idea had smoked something a few hours beforehand.

August 8th, 2007, 20:14
Kipper Class - well that is what the Daily Mail call it.

August 8th, 2007, 20:36
"Kip"per Class - will certainly catch on.

August 8th, 2007, 20:43
... I'm sure they will iron out the pros and cons for this:

1) To eat - one will sit up in the bed and there should be enough space for your head

2) Hand luggage will be placed inbetween the gangway between bed spaces

3) Beds will be folded up at take off and landing

4) And for those who want to use their right hand during the flight, there will be draw curtains around the bed.

August 8th, 2007, 20:49
4) And for those who want to use their right hand during the flight, there will be draw curtains around the bed.
Wot, no provision for us lefties. That's discrimination ! :geek:

August 8th, 2007, 21:05

1) To eat - one will sit up in the bed and there should be enough space for your head

So sitting on your seat three tiers up in the air with you legs dangling over the side?

Step ladders to climb down to the deck level?

Sorry but get real!!

August 8th, 2007, 22:31
Its a stroke of genius for us upstairs. I always find that on my evening stroll things a bit cramped and sweaty in economy, constantly tripping over someone's feet or excess duty free blocking the aisle. Trust the German to come up with such a brilliant idea, to free up the isles.
Nothing Virgin can do will improve their flights happily. They thought they were being so clever with the flat beds on the HK to Sydney flight, why I don't know, Cathay was already doing it a long time ago. Brandson however came over personally to launch the idea throwing a cocktail party for all of us ex-users, the finger food was good at least unlike their in-flight kakha , and we didn't have to put up with the tasteless hostesses licking our feet and constant grubby flirting.
He was quite boring, I was expecting at the very least that he would go up in a hot air balloon and drift off into a signal number eight typhoon screaming fly Virgin, but nothing, just more of the same flat grubby foot licking.

August 9th, 2007, 03:04

So sitting on your seat three tiers up in the air with you legs dangling over the side?

Step ladders to climb down to the deck level?

Sorry but get real!!

How do you think they will cater for eating then "Naughty but nice"?

August 9th, 2007, 03:07
[

It is isn't it - especially as when I do it, I use both hands!!