View Full Version : Appropriate Apparel

jimnbkk
August 7th, 2007, 21:43
As a frequent visitor to the LOS, I have often noticed that I sometimes appear 'underdressed' compared to some farangs. At the same time, when I wander through Royal Garden and see a farang in nothing more than a swim suit, I am well overdressed.

I am not a satorially resplendent person. In Pattaya, a beach resort city, I wear shorts, tee shirt, and sandals (no socks) as my normal daytime wear. At night, I 'dress up' and wear jeans (usually without holes or tears) and a collared shirt. I'm not sure if my nightime wear is more because of a fear of mosquito bites or because of a desire to appear better dressed; probably a little of both. In Bangkok, I never wear shorts; it just doesn't seem right to me to wear shorts there for some reason.

I have seen passing references in this and other forums to 'appropriate' clothing to wear. For example, in one thread a writer stated that he had dressed up in slacks and (as I remember) long sleeved shirt when visiting the Jomtien Immigration Office and attributed his success with the officials there to being 'respectfully' dressed. I am not doubting his conclusion, only illustrating my remarks.

Similarly, recently Gaybutton was obliged to defend his wearing of shorts to somebody. (At least GB wears collared shirts all the time).

I wear tee shirts because they're comfortable, and don't require ironing, thus are cheaper to send to the laundry than collared shirts. But, obviously they're not as 'dressy'.

So, my question to the learned members of this forum: What do you consider appropriate wear? Why? And, is that what you wear? Or, do you, like me, wear whatever you want because it's more comfortable?

August 8th, 2007, 00:06
Virtually the same here although for t-shirts read polo shirts, in BKK I'll wear the polo shirts during the day and a proper collared shirt in the evening. Only worn shorts in BKK once but that was for the short trip from the Pinnacle to Babylon. Chiang Mai a mixture of both shorts and long pants depends on how I feel on the day and what I'm doing.

Brian

Dick
August 8th, 2007, 03:03
I'm sure some residents will disagree with me, but here goes:

Before coming to Thailand, and more so after the first visit, I read 'the books'. Do's and don'ts etc. Simplist advice of all as to how to dress, is to look at what Thai people wear, and where they are wearing it. Make adjustments for their 'class'. Nobody, sorry, no Thai is going to say anything if you get it wrong, because it isn't polite. But it does make a difference as to how you are appreciated, or not as the case may be.

Do you see Thai people wearing a swimming costume or shorts and no top in the hotel lobby in a hotel that happens to have a pool? No. Do you see the German tourist wearing same, ranting on at the hotel receptionist for something or other? Yes. The look on the face of the Thai receptionist says it all. Thai people coming out of the pool will put clothes on before walking through reception, or they will avoid the reception instead. Beach dress is for the beach. Shorts are worn on the beach or at the gym. Trousers are worn in the street, in shops, restaurants, etc. Modesty dictates that you cover your tits in public, unless everyone's got their tits out in the pool, lol. You'll see ordinary Thai people frolicking in the sea at the beach. Chances are some are wearing normal clothes because (a) they don't want their skin any darker than it is, (b) they haven't got a bathing costume with them, (c) they can't affort the luxury of a bathing costume.

Have you wondered why boy special or boyfriend spends rather a long time tarting himself up in the mirror? He may not be rich, but he can make the best of his appearance. Why? Because other Thai people notice. They scrub themselves up same same to look the best they can, and having put all that effort in, will compare themselves with others. Yes they look, but they take it in too. It registers. I was really surprised one afternoon. I was wondering if boy no strings favourite (at the time) might be at the beach, where he might usually be expected to be found that time of day - after breakfast for him of course:-) Went down to the usual stretch of sand but he wasn't there. The lady who waltzed up and down cutting nails recognised me, deduced who I was looking for, and told me he had gone off for 10mins and would be back soon. So I sat down an had my nails 'done'. Her English was reasonable. She said you good farang. I said 'why?' She said because many times I see you, nice clothes, clean shirt, pressed trousers, clean shoes, good heart, etc. Now I'm not trying to blow my own trumpet here, merely illustrate that even 'low people' observe what you wear and how you carry yourself. I was really gobsmacked at this revelation... that Thai people actually LOOK and remember! The manner in which I was dressed had a significant influence on how I was perceived.

Of course you have to make an effort to observe customs i.e. read the books. You can dress to the hilt, but behave impolitely and you've blown it.

Some years ago I worked in Iran. One ex-pratt was involved in a road traffic accident. One persian killed. Being a white man working on a government contract, he was courteously allowed to continue working/daily life while the legalities were sorted out. One day he was ordered to report to the court prosecutors office for a pre-trial 'chat', as might have formally processed him as 'on bail' pending the payment of a fine (the bail amount) and deportation without trial. The idiot turned up in a T-shirt and shorts. The Prosecutor took that as a lack of respect for the Court, and had him jailed immediately pending a Court hearing as to whether bail would be granted. He was released much later than might have been into British Airways custody.

Is what you wear and where you wear it important? Yes! And fashion be damned!

August 8th, 2007, 03:39
Dick has it exactly right. East of Suez from Yokohama to Durban, you will be appraised, categorised and filed according to what you wear. Dress like a cooie, get treated like a coolie. Nothing wrong with beachwear on the beach but you'll get better service poolside if there is a smart crease in your shorts.

August 8th, 2007, 03:57
... I went to immigration to get my work visa sorted and the lady there sent me on my way because I had shorts and tee shirt on and told me to come back dressed suitably ... I needed the work permit so I adhered ..... there you go.

August 8th, 2007, 04:39
Dress like a cooie, get treated like a coolie.

Good observation for anywhere in Asia.

My attire: Slacks and a collared shirt for around town, shopping, bar hopping, etc. Shorts, collared shirt and sandels (without socks) for the beach.

Impulse
August 8th, 2007, 09:39
I guess Im underdressed.During the day I wear sandals most of the time and a baseball cap for the sun(gluacoma),shorts and a t-shirt.I think a collared shirt would look 'nerdy'. At night,its long pants,but mostly a tshirt(a nice one though),shoes,watch,and a fake wallet if Im rolled. I think its an age thing also,when I was walking with a 20 year old from a bar he told me to pull out my tucked in shirt,which I think looks sloppy,but they think its cool.

Lunchtime O'Booze
August 8th, 2007, 10:22
to visit any government office..it works a treat and the show of respect can get you a slight advantage which always helps.

ps : Have you seen Gaybutton's legs ??..they are a crime against nature-he has no defense for allowing them to remain uncovered in public !!

August 8th, 2007, 10:23
If you look on the front counter of the Jomtiem Immigration office you will see a sign reminding you that "This is a place of business and you should be appropriately dressed"

Smiles
August 8th, 2007, 11:20
Agree in general with just about everything Dick says in his detailed post above.

(IMHO) I think a few general rules on dress would suffice ... none of them difficult to accomplish:

When at the beach most anything goes.
[/*:m:40exem9w]
Out at night anywhere (even if it is a beach resort or area), long pants/slacks for sure, not jeans. Shirt with collar ... long or short sleeves is up to you.
In Bangkok, shorts only on Sunday. And then, not to most temples or (for instance) the Grand Palace.
Sandals OK anywhere during the day, not at night.
For pete sake, don't do that swimsuit-in-lobby thing!
Look cool, calm, clean (especially!), and with restrained class and Thai folks will notice and admire.
Look dirty, rumpled, grouchy, shirt-tails hanging out, fly undone, toenails uncut, hair a mess ... Thais will definitely notice, and not admire ... more so than at home. (Your BF will be appropriately appalled).[/*:m:40exem9w]

Thai people are in general very body-conscious. They themselves are slim and well-proportioned (mostly anyway, and especially when under 40) . . . and because of that they wear clothes well. And they know it . . . and they admire very much that trait in others.

Thais look better in most clothes than farang tourists do in theirs. They are birth-acclimatised to the ever-present heat, and tend not to look bedraggled ~ and sometimes quite wretched ~ like the farang beside them, who is uncomfortably wilting away in a sea of sweat.

There's not much you can do to match a Thai dressed well in the heat of the day ... so don't try too hard. Cleanliness and smart-but-simple dressing will get farangs a very long way in Thai eyes.

And if you don't give a tinkers damn what Thai people think of you . . . then wear whatever you want. But the significant word in the opening post was "appropriate", and that's my take on it.

Cheers ...

August 8th, 2007, 11:28
Dick's analysis and observations are spot on. One has to bear in mind that 'face' is all important in Thailand (and other Asian countries) and that includes how you dress as well your deportment and how you act in your contacts with other people, particularly those who might be considered to be of 'lower' status.

August 8th, 2007, 12:21
Sorry.,. if its 100 F**ing Degrees in Bangkok during the day.. I'm going to wear shorts. Nice ones.. but shorts (and by that, I mean nice, longer shorts (thai style), not cheap K-mart doubleknit shorts or Cargo pants designed for a 16 year old. And No Jeans at night? Come on, I think this depends on your age and your body shape. If you are 80 or seriously overweight, better stick to your "Slacks", But if your in shape and hanging out with boys half your age.. I see nothing wrong with wearing a nice pair of jeans to the bars or to dance at DJ. Maybe I underdress, but I'm on a vacation. I"m not going to dress like I'm on the way to the Office. I see guy sitting at places like Telephone bar and are WAY overdressed in my opinion.

August 8th, 2007, 12:48
I have seen some people who dress in long pants, nice long sleeve starched shirt, Oxford shoes at some of the beer bars. They have on a gold watch and neck chains and bracelet. It is 35C and humidity is 94% and they look like a boiled hot dog ready to split open. I obviously don't get it. Why not just dress in clean fresh clothes that are cool and comfortable? I do not intend to offend anyone by not dressing up, but I am here to relax and be comfortable.

I think if you are polite, not loud, clean, tip appropriately and comfortable with yourself, you will be fine

August 8th, 2007, 14:01
I see nothing wrong with wearing a nice pair of jeans
There's no such thing as 'a nice pair of jeans'. They are the scruffiest and ugliest form of apparel ever to have been invented - but, of course, they did originate in America so that is only to be expected. :cheers:

August 8th, 2007, 14:18
I have seen some people who dress in long pants, nice long sleeve starched shirt, Oxford shoes at some of the beer bars. They have on a gold watch and neck chains and bracelet. It is 35C and humidity is 94% and they look like a boiled hot dog ready to split open. I obviously don't get it. Why not just dress in clean fresh clothes that are cool and comfortable? I do not intend to offend anyone by not dressing up, but I am here to relax and be comfortable.

I think if you are polite, not loud, clean, tip appropriately and comfortable with yourself, you will be fine

Pattayamale,

I think that is spot on for me!

Smiles, whats with the no jeans idea??? I thought you were quite up to date with your thinking and ideas.

Dd you once have a bad experience with jeans?? They can be a quite nice and very gay friendly set!!!!

Nothing worse than a 65 year old walking around Boystown in a thong or someone overdressed showing his Mark Spitz gold medals or carrying pictures of his House and car to show everyone

August 8th, 2007, 20:37
... bright yellow hotpants and a matching pink bag - "they don't care" as long as you pay the bill!

jimnbkk
August 8th, 2007, 21:07
I think. I wear jeans because the alternative for me is khaki wash trousers. I have never seen a dry cleaners in Jomtien where I hang out most of the time. For that matter I haven't seen one in Pattaya either. So, if I'm there for a month, how do I keep looking nice? And, wearing a nice "starched" shirt seems unnecessary to me also. I haven't worn a starched shirt since I retired years ago.

So, I guess it's jeans most evenings and maybe I'll 'dress up' and wear khakis part time.

August 8th, 2007, 21:11
Nothing worse than a 65 year old walking around Boystown in a thong or someone overdressed showing his Mark Spitz gold medals or carrying pictures of his House and car to show everyone

I think you would be hard-pressed to find any farang looking younger than 65 walking/hobbling around Pattaya. And the photos are more likely to be of his recent prostrate/kidney/heart bypass operation or his colostomy bag :bounce:

August 8th, 2007, 21:41
Sorry.,. if its 100 F**ing Degrees in Bangkok during the day.. I'm going to wear shorts. Nice ones.. but shorts (and by that, I mean nice, longer shorts (thai style), not cheap K-mart doubleknit shorts or Cargo pants designed for a 16 year old. And No Jeans at night? Come on, I think this depends on your age and your body shape. If you are 80 or seriously overweight, better stick to your "Slacks", But if your in shape and hanging out with boys half your age.. I see nothing wrong with wearing a nice pair of jeans to the bars or to dance at DJ. Maybe I underdress, but I'm on a vacation. I"m not going to dress like I'm on the way to the Office. I see guy sitting at places like Telephone bar and are WAY overdressed in my opinion.

I fully agree with this, though I prefer boys my own age or older. If you've got the legs flaunt them in style. Europeans have been doing this ever since we discovered stealing another country was a sweaty business.
Looking decent in shorts, you do need the legs, but its not difficult not to look like a middle aged German tourist. I wear shorts and leather sandals and a white collar shirt when at my hotel, I treat it as home. In the evening I will shower and change into something more formal for dinner depending where I will eat, if its casual I will wear shorts if its the terrace longs. When I go out I dress for where ever I am going. If its going to be a hot and sweaty day I wont hesitate to wear shorts and a nice pair of boots or sandals, depending on where I will be.

One thing that did shock me was a British tourist around the pool with his six year old daughter. He pulled off her swim suite right up over her head right on the edge of the pool, leaving her standing there stark naked facing the entire staff while he rummaged around for some dry clothes for her. It was nasty. Ten year olds have quite a large pussy already, even she was a bit shocked to be so suddenly exposed. The pool attendants looked like they had just received a slap in the face. Yes a babe in arms, but that was a hideous display of wanton disrespect and disregard for the country he was in. He was in black bicycle shorts, his balls tightly wedged to the side under his paunch, I assume some kind of English mid-life crisis.

Its cheap tickets and air-miles that are to blame.

rincondog
August 8th, 2007, 23:08
The Taliban have their fashion police and so does Iran, both trying to tell everyone what is acceptable dress. Now, unfortunately, we seem to have the same on Sawatadee forum. Whatever happened to individual personnal freedom. Wear what you feel comfortable in, who gives a shit what other people think. (Evidently a lot of members here) Thais prefer someone with a good heart than a starched shirt. You can still be the biggest jerk in the world and a starched shirt and long pants won't fix it.

colmx
August 9th, 2007, 01:14
My Thai Bf of nearly 5 years is visiting me in Ireland at the moment....
Funnily enough I just showed him the comments above and he disagrees with the majority of them...

He says Jeans should win anyday over trousers or slacks
T-shirt over collared shirt
Trainers should win anyday over shoes
The only exception in his mind is when visiting the Likes of Sugar Hut or the Royal cliff

His preferred night time look for me is Jeans+T-shirt+1 days stubble
(even though i hate going out unshaven)

He also reackons most Thai boys would prefer this style on their farang too - as long as all the clothes (and their wearer) are clean

August 9th, 2007, 02:12
After my waist size expanded past 38", I decided jeans did not "look right" on me any more. :angry2:

I see someone else here doesn't iron their T-shirts! :cheers:

August 9th, 2007, 10:22
I just asked my BF if he would rather I wear a pair of slacks, dress shoes and button down long sleeve shirt when I am with him. He said "NO" "You're my Boyfriend, not my father" LOL

August 10th, 2007, 07:52
... East of Suez from Yokohama to Durban, you will be appraised, categorised and filed according to what you wear. Dress like a cooie, get treated like a coolie. ....

I had to laugh reading that because it reminded me of a quote from the famous Phillipine author Jose Rizal. In his most famous work "Noli Me Tangere" he wrote: "Men are like turtles; they are classified and valued according to their shells."
A hundred and twenty years later its still true!

I guess if you want to look like a slob then go ahead and look like a slob.
And if you attitude is "I'm comfortable and I don't give a fcuk what anyone else thinks", well that is exactly what you're communicating to everyone around you.
Don't be surprised if they are underwhelmed by your attitude.

August 10th, 2007, 07:57
I see nothing wrong with wearing a nice pair of jeans I don't do the gardening so I don't own a pair

August 10th, 2007, 08:29
Jeez.. do we have a bunch of "Stuffed Shirts" on this board or what?

August 10th, 2007, 11:40
No, its just the old green trouser snake making its self known. I suspect a few are beyond jeans figure wise, and will be extolling the acceptability of surgical hose and fashionably dripping saline solution next.
Of course jeans are smart, they can also be tatty and off-set a nice sports jacket and tie very well, they can be anything you want them to be. Has no one dressed down intentionally to make a statement before?
Denim is in fact a French regional product and not American, they were wearing it a long time before the Bavarian, Strauss, began importing the stuff to America, originally known as serge de Nimes where it was made.

What I thought very petty was the off lobby-bar at the Mandarin Oriental. I popped in for a lime-soda with a friend from Muscat while we were waiting for haircuts upstairs. They told him he couldn't wear sandals, and offered him a pair of smelly alternatives from under the counter. We of course ignored the offer and sat down. He was dressed to please already, having put on trousers and a shirt in accordance with western norms, sandals are what they wear in the middle East, just like obese Americans wear tight crimpaline track suit bottoms and trainers, you have to expect and allow for a certain amount of cultural expression in an international setting, surely, you dont have to like it?

I find the Thais rather like this, in fact it reinforces some rather satisfying stereotypes quite nicely, smiles all round.

August 10th, 2007, 14:44
DELETED

jimnbkk
August 10th, 2007, 20:18
Of course jeans are acceptable and T-Shirts and trainers (sneakers) too. Only if they are modern styled. The problem here is most posters and visitors to Thailand are retired old boys....

Ignoring your snide remarks about retired old boys........ I arrived on my last visit to the LOS to see boy special wearing an extremely tattered pair of jeans. Holes all down the legs. I remarked he must have a very poor sugar daddy who could not afford to buy him decent clothing. Only to be told that he was wearing a new pair of jeans he had just purchased, complete with holes. It's the style there and here both. I've seen price tags in the hundreds of dollars for 'used' jeans.

Go figure...

August 11th, 2007, 00:05
The problem here is most posters and visitors to Thailand are retired old boys. Not aged like me and colmx (young and trendy, right colmx?). So the jeans they wear are high waist banded jeans with an old fashioned shirt or T-Shirt to top it off. Not good gents!
Careful what you wish for. Do you want to see us wearing hip-huggers? :pukeright:

But, not to worry. I have given up on denim jeans, unless I can get back below a 38" waistline. Thank heavens for Dockers.

jimnbkk
August 11th, 2007, 01:39
[quote="John Botting":24ptneil]The problem here is most posters and visitors to Thailand are retired old boys. Not aged like me and colmx (young and trendy, right colmx?). So the jeans they wear are high waist banded jeans with an old fashioned shirt or T-Shirt to top it off. Not good gents!
Careful what you wish for. Do you want to see us wearing hip-huggers? :pukeright:

But, not to worry. I have given up on denim jeans, unless I can get back below a 38" waistline. Thank heavens for Dockers.[/quote:24ptneil]

I remember an old Pogo cartoon where one of the characters, I cannot remember which one, significantly circumferentially challenged, and wearing trousers lower and lower as a result said: "My waist isn't getting bigger, but my legs are getting shorter."

I'm having the same problem.

Impulse
August 11th, 2007, 12:42
I buy caps that are tattered and torn as this is the style,I dont think Id be wearing it in Thailand as I wouldnt want to appear like a slob though.And jeans are fine to wear,but they are very heavy and are not condusive to hot and humid climates.That is why I wear dockers or such when In LOS.I guess if your used to the hot weather its ok to wear jeans,but if your waist size is over 38,maybe not. Im curious to what everyones waist size is ,Im a 35 which is hard size to find undies,right in between medium and large. Invalid session is getting worse.

August 11th, 2007, 12:46
DELETED

August 11th, 2007, 14:51
Im curious to what everyones waist size is ,Im a 35 ...
Don't judge by the size of the pants' waistband, btw. If you notice, the larger, more rotund folks tend to let the front of their waist band droop down to an area that is of a smaller circumference. Someone with a 44" waistline can get by wearing pants with a 38" or 40" waistband. I never realized the significance of letting the pants ride lower in front until recently.

And, to those 35" posters, beware that I was also 35" (or perhaps less) when I was in my early- to mid-40s. Now that I'm in my early- to mid-50s, my waist is in its early- to mid-40s.

August 12th, 2007, 13:34
32" waist here. As to jeans being heavy. The "Fashion Trend" now is for much lighter weight denim. Not the Heavy type common on Levis 501s.

Wesley
August 12th, 2007, 16:37
says appropriate that word and definition remains relative.

I dress for the occasion, when business I am in a business suite

About and around, jeans and what ever tennis shoe that is popular is fine with me.

nails and toe nails always trimmed except for the little finger on the right hand to pick your nose with.

ear hair neatly trimmed or "neet" will suffice the thee task.

slacks for out on the town jeans for your daily walk unless you are does not 300 LBS, if such s the case it really doesn't matter either Will do.

my general attire consist of tennis shoes socks and jeans 501's and a collard Polo either pullover or dress is sufficient.

Wesley

August 13th, 2007, 12:55
Well . Slacks are what my mother wears when she is not in a skirt!

Well you can always borrow your Mothers then John eh???

Ask some of them with the Mark Spitz medals in Boyztown if you can borrow then for the Rotary parties as well, no one will notice the difference between them and the real thing.