PDA

View Full Version : Air Travel Cost & Suggestions

bucknaway
August 6th, 2007, 23:14
I am days away from buying my tickets into Thailand. I am planning on flying out on October 10 and returning Nov 5th. The Airports I use are PHL (Philadelphia) EWR (New York) and BWI (Baltimore).

Do any of you know of any Travel Deals I should look at before I buy a ticket?

August 7th, 2007, 01:28
I am days away from buying my tickets into Thailand. I am planning on flying out on October 10 and returning Nov 5th. The Airports I use are PHL (Philadelphia) EWR (New York) and BWI (Baltimore).

Do any of you know of any Travel Deals I should look at before I buy a ticket?

If you like to fly aound in Thailand (i.e. from/ to CM, Phuket, BKK, ...) concider buying an airpass. Inside Thailand you will fly Thai or Star Alliance, hassle free and comfortable. There is no need to fly in or out with Thai Airways or any other Star Alliance airline.

Budget carriers do have some strance restrictions. The Thai domestic services are a lor better.

The air pass can only bought outside of Thailand.

Smiles
August 7th, 2007, 01:52
Just did a quick search on www.kayak.com (http://www.kayak.com) using your dates and all airlines. Best deal from east coast (using New York as departure) was in the $1200 range. None less than that. From the west coast (Seattle) fares in the $900 range are the lowest.

You could try individual airlines and might well come up with slightly better deals, but the amounts above seem to be the common range. A travel agent might be able to better those figures, but probably not by much.

Cheers ...

Bob
August 7th, 2007, 03:37
Just checked on Thai Air (direct) from JFK for October and it's $1,182.15 including all fees. Not bad if you can stand economy for a 17-hour trip.

adman5000
August 7th, 2007, 04:20
Bucknaway- Since you seem to go to BKK frequently and are budget conscious, have you given thought to buying your ticket in BKK? Some years ago, I used a one way ticket to get to BKK, then set up a relationship with a travel agency in BKK and always buy a roundtrip ticket from them for my next visit. The tickets are good for a year, changeable, and I then set my return date which I then have to look forward to. It works well for me and the savings are substantial.

Also, if you are going as far as BWI, you might want to price out of Dulles (IAD) as well. I found it has better prices and availability to BKK, and is not that much further.

bucknaway
August 7th, 2007, 07:24
So far I was able to find find a decent rate on Thaifly.com

http://i11.tinypic.com/4xvokn9.jpg

The other rates are as follows....

Fares for the trip
The prices shown below are for one adult, and some flights are not including taxes.
The prices may be changed subject to departure date and number of seats.

USD 820

Airfare Rules Round Trip

USD 895

Airfare Rules Round Trip

USD 995

Airfare Rules Round Trip

USD 1,060

Airfare Rules Round Trip

August 7th, 2007, 07:52
hey Buck! I arrive a few days before you. Watch out for stalkers lol.

August 7th, 2007, 11:17
One must be able to show a return ticket upon entering thailand so a one way ticket no longer works. Most airlines now insist that a round trip ticket is purchased as they are held responsible if you are denied entry.

August 7th, 2007, 13:18
When I flew here from the USA 3 months ago I had a one way ticket on EVA. It was not a problem then. My friend who goes to USA a few times a year buys a roundtrip from Thailand. Which puts him back in Thailand without a ticket out of Thailand. He just returned here mid-July. So possibly there is no problem now with one way tickets?????

August 7th, 2007, 14:12
One must be able to show a return ticket upon entering thailand so a one way ticket no longer works. Most airlines now insist that a round trip ticket is purchased as they are held responsible if you are denied entry.
I understand that this rule only applies to those visiting the country under the tourist 30 day visa-exempt provisions (from those countries which are on the list which Thailand allows for this type of entry).

Proof of a return ticket is not required if you have a 60 day tourist visa or better.

adman5000
August 7th, 2007, 17:22
While the rule may exist I have never had a problem even when I was on the 30 day tourist visa upon arrival. The closest I have come is one airline waiting until I reached the connecting city to book my connection to BKK, and a supervisor had to approve it. I have never been asked to show my return ticket otherwise. I carry my travel agents contact info and email info just in case.
Now I have a special visa and it is no problem or risk.

August 8th, 2007, 12:35
Looking at Bucks posting.. it shows "Don Muang" airport. I dont think this can be correct. No international flights to the old airport.

HawaiiBoy
August 8th, 2007, 14:17
I always check this site for discounted international fares:
https://www.bt-store.com/
Also I've downloaded the Yapta software at http://www.yapta.com/taggerHow/ to track my fares in case they go cheaper and I can get refunds. (This software currently only works with Internet Explorer). I've receive over $400 in refunds so far this year.