View Full Version : The King and I

bing
August 6th, 2007, 20:18
I just finished watching the classic " The King And I ". The songs and music were wonderful, but was surprised that I had a tear in my eye when the King passes on the kingdom to his son at the end of the movie.. It may not be real good history, but what a wonderful story about Thailand or Siam as it is called in the story. No one could be more King than Yul Brenner. If you are in the mood I hope you will be able to see it soon.

TrongpaiExpat
August 6th, 2007, 21:47
I saw an old taped interview of Richard Rodgers from the early 50's in which he was asked about the cultural and historic inaccuracies of the play. He said they was just making it entertaining and if he and Hamerstein used "real Siam facts" it would put everyone to sleep and if he wrote real Siam music no one would pay to hear it.

August 7th, 2007, 08:23
Its just a lovely musical fantasy and no more. For heaven sake, when did people EVER start thinking they should get a history lesson from musical theater (or Hollywood for that matter). And guess what! "South Pacific" is not an accurate portrayal of WW2 in the Pacific, "Sound of Music" is not an accurate portrayal of Nazi Germany and "Cinderella" is not an accurate retelling of the fairy tale! Hate to burst anyone's bubble out there.
I think for most Americans - at least for me- this musical was their first inkling that such a place as Siam even existed. But it is just the start of finding out about the country and its history and culture.

For an interesting comparison you should try to see the movie version of "Anna and the King of Siam" with Irene Dunn and Rex Harrison as the King. I think Harrison's portrayal is more historically "accurate" from what I've read of Thai history.

There was also a recent version with Jodie Foster and Chun-yow Fat which was ok but just as garbled historically as any other version.

Anyone out there read the book "Louis and the King of Siam"? I've been wanting to read that for years. Its about the son of Anna who eventually went back to Siam, married a Thai woman and was quite an interesting "character".

Lunchtime O'Booze
August 7th, 2007, 13:17
I did actually meet Yul about 25 years ago..and was surprised at how little he was..but then so many actors aren't they ? charming though...like most Russians.

He as very good in The King & I ( not to be confuse with King & I a tome written by a Sawatdee member)

Did you know the ginormous Marlon Brando f***ed Brynner and declared him a "great screw with a tight arse" ?

If you are into old musicals I can actually sing the entire score of Oklahoma..I take every role and likewise with South Pacific.
no-one ever takes me up on my offer.
:crybaby:

PeterUK
August 7th, 2007, 13:20
I haven't read the book you mention, kenc, but I have read 'The English Governess at the Siamese Court', being Anna Leonowens own account of her six years as a tutor to the children of King Mongkut (Rama IV). It reads rather stuffily now but is still a fascinating insight into the relationship between two domineering personalities, one bolstered by his belief in kingly divine right and the other by British imperial ascendancy. Perhaps unworthily, the fact that always comes to mind when I think of King Mongkut is that he fathered two children in his teens, abstained from sex for 27 years while a monk, and then fathered a further 83 (or thereabouts!) children after becoming king.

August 7th, 2007, 14:17
Chow Yuen-fat's body language in "Anna and the King" is that of a Kowloon mobster. Very far from a regal Siamese presence. This is unsurprising as he is acting out power plays as Clear Water Bay understands them. The most regal presence he has met would be the odd Clear Water Bay and Hollywood director. You must know the ones I mean.

What is really debatable is whether Anna Leonowens had a better imagination than Richard Rogers. I suspect she had.

August 8th, 2007, 07:37
....What is really debatable is whether Anna Leonowens had a better imagination than Richard Rogers. I suspect she had.

She actually did write another book which was a story that takes place in the palace about a Burmese girl Tuptim in love with a common Thai soldier. Sound familiar? The story got folded into our version of "The King and I" but is a complete fiction.
The 1st movie version of "Anna and the King" kills off little Louis in order to have Anna "bond" with young Chulalongkorn.
Anything for a little drama.

BTW- here's some trivia.
Boris Karloff was a nephew of Ann Leonowens.