PDA

View Full Version : The "former" Memories

August 5th, 2007, 22:21
I met an American friend the other night at Oscar's in Boyztown. He is here for only 2 weeks and did not know that Memories in Sunee Plaza had been sold until he visited the first night he was in Pattaya. I asked him if he liked it. He said "Well, it is Ok, but just another beer bar now" I asked him to compare it to the "former" Memories. He thought that the "former" Memories was unique in that it was a place to be introduced to other Farang while the boys were not pushy and always attentive (not just sitting around waiting for a drink or an off). He thought Oud was great fun and made sure everyone else was having fun, more like you were at a friend's house, he said.

The point of this is that I think that the "former" Memories filled a nitch that some other bar may try to duplicate. I am not complaining about the new owner of Memories. Every business owner has their own business plan.

I do understand that the Corner Bar in Sunee is starting to be a "substitue" for Memories even though that may not be their plan. I guess I agree with my American friend that there are plenty of "beer bars" where people can get a drink and off a boy, but what is missing is a place where you can meet up with "Friends" (as in where everyone knows your name), the old TV series.

PinkSilom
August 6th, 2007, 01:20
'I met an American friend the other night at Oscar's in Boyztown.'

Oscars (refurbished My Life) appears to be attracting a lot of attention. Before the refurbishment, there was a handful of customers on the terrace. Now, the smart, air-conditioned Long Bar inside is growing in popularity. Oscars, like Panorama have their own discount membership card. It's not difficult to find real value for money in Soi 3. It's great to see Boyztown evolving, ensuring that it remains Asia's number one gay hot spot.

Dodger
August 6th, 2007, 06:45
Oud, Jack and Ralph were Memories, and they are simply irreplaceable.

I wish the new owner the best of luck, but won't ever expect the place to be the same.

Mai pen rai

bing
August 6th, 2007, 06:59
I am sure some of you know what Oud is doing now.. Is he still in Pattaya? I was not his best friend, but was one who considered him a friend, and liked giving him a hard time.

August 6th, 2007, 09:05
DELETED

August 6th, 2007, 09:07
Officer Botting smells something fishy!

August 6th, 2007, 09:09
DELETED

August 6th, 2007, 10:09
'I met an American friend the other night at Oscar's in Boyztown.'

Oscars (refurbished My Life) appears to be attracting a lot of attention. Before the refurbishment, there was a handful of customers on the terrace. Now, the smart, air-conditioned Long Bar inside is growing in popularity. Oscars, like Panorama have their own discount membership card. It's not difficult to find real value for money in Soi 3. It's great to see Boyztown evolving, ensuring that it remains Asia's number one gay hot spot.

The night I met my American friend at Oscar's must have been an unusual night then because the were only 2 other customers and the owner. We were only there for 1 1/2 hours though. And did enjoy ourselves. The entire area seemed "slow. We went to Cafe Royale for some food and were the only customers inside. There were a few outside. But this is low season.

PinkSilom
August 6th, 2007, 16:20
'PinkSilom, please state here that you are not conected in anyway to any business interest in Soi 3...'

John Botting, would doing so really add any weight to my posts?

August 8th, 2007, 11:13
No one has commented as to what the Old Memories staff is doing now....does anyone know??

August 8th, 2007, 16:04
DELETED

catawampuscat
August 9th, 2007, 00:27
It seems to me that some posters have elevated the old Memories to celestial heights and
greatness.
It was a friendly beer bar with friendly hosts and mostly nice boys. It got tired and old for the
owners and it showed. Ralph and Jack seemed to have a hard time staying awake and must
have been bored out of their minds putting up with the same old crowd and the same old stories.

Oud was a live wire but irritated some with his constant crotch grabbing and it got old.
They had a great run and will be remembered by many lonely farangs as their local pub but
in reality, they were not your friends but obligated to be there and often introduced some of the
most boring farangs to others in the hope of escaping the boors and dropping them in someone
else's laps.

I loved the bar and loved the owners and it was a second home to many sad sacks on their last legs.
Jack and Ralph made them feel welcome and at home but it wore them out and was a push every night..

Perhaps the new owners erred keeping the name and many of the boys as they should have their own
identity. There are many many beer bars in Sunee with host boys and this one is now just another one. :cat:

colmx
August 9th, 2007, 01:23
I visited memories under the old regime maybe 10 times
I have to confess i never once saw or heard of jack or Ralph on my visits

Of course Oud was always there and always larger than life and great fun

He would always remember my name despite my being such an infrequent customer

I guess maybe i must have visited on the farangs nights off!

This reminds me of how people used to always talk about how friendly Lek (of Lek bar and BBB) was.

Despite my very frequent visits to both his bars and BBB - he never ever acknowledged me!
Guess maybe I'm just forgettable!

PinkSilom
August 9th, 2007, 04:10
'PinkSilom, please state here that you are not conected in anyway to any business interest in Soi 3...'

'John Botting, would doing so really add any weight to my posts?'

'No they wouldn't add weight to your posts but they would allow people to judge your posts as being biased.'

John Botting, out of curiosity, is English your first language?

August 9th, 2007, 10:39
DELETED

August 9th, 2007, 16:13
Pink Silom, I'm curious why you asked John if English were his first language?

I'm also curious why you don't just answer his question. Do you think it's cutesy or coy to be evasive?

On internet discussion boards, such evasiveness often equates to a "guilty as charged" verdict which destroys credibility and weakens interest in your postings. What's the point of posting if only to be ignored?

PinkSilom
August 9th, 2007, 18:27
I am happy to state that I have no financial interest in any business in Thailand. However, that statement will add neither credibility nor interest to my posts.

If my opinions are biased, it is through a genuine belief that the merits of Soi 3, outweigh those of any other street in Pattaya targeting the gay community. However, I will endeavour to curb my enthusiasm.

August 9th, 2007, 18:44
Boys Town is like a morgue these days. How someone can say it the best in Pattaya i dont know.

Since Kevin left Throb, there has been no reason to go down that street anymore. They over price and have nothing worth looking at these days.

The Throb show is now one of the worse shows in Pattaya, from being one of the best?

As for Pink Silom, or as we all know a well known old drag artist owner. Let him blow his own trumpet.

August 9th, 2007, 19:23
I don't know if this low season is slower than in the past or not. I hope that the business in Boystown goes well as this is the area that seemed to help put Pattaya on the gay map. In my opinion it would be against our own intersts if they had financial problems, but I have no idea if any are having that problem.

Low season is hard for everyone. The boys have to continue to pay their bills, the suppliers who provide food and booze and those that work for them also.
But high prices and poor shows sure are not the way to increase sales. High season is just around the corner. :drunken:

August 9th, 2007, 19:59
The best Memories bar was down the first Soi on the left past the Dusit roundabout in North Pattaya in the late 1980's. If I remember rightly it was called 'Memory' Does anyone remember it? :cheese:

August 10th, 2007, 00:24
I am happy to state that I have no financial interest in any business in Thailand. However, that statement will add neither credibility nor interest to my posts.
Your comments, especially your previous posts, may now be viewed in a more favorable light with better credibility.

Perhaps you've not been on the boards long enough to have experienced owners of local venues using multiple screen names to "anonymously" promote their businesses. It became a tiring charade, and I suspect I am not the only one who was on the verge of ignoring your posts, thinking you might be leading a renaissance of that trend. Thanks for speaking up.

catawampuscat
August 10th, 2007, 00:41
Good times are to be had in Sunee Plaza and the Pattayaland sois 1,2 and 3 and Jomtien Complex.
Each area is different and each has its pros and cons. It is just a matter of preference and one man's
dreamboat is another's bomb. Judge not least .....

It is silly to battle over which area is best and each of us will judge for themselves which area they
prefer to spend their time and baht in. I frequent all of the areas when the mood strikes..

Those who sit back and judge others to feel better about themselves are just self serving and biased.
It is the height of folly to label each other based on what bars we frequent in what area and one should be able
to enjoy whatever bars they like without others pointing their fingers and making judgements.
Live and let live and all those other cliches apply here....

P.S. you can also find entertainment places in Day-Nite, Soi Boikow and some other areas as well.. :cat:

bing
August 10th, 2007, 03:27
Hi--- I sure do remember Memory Bar in N. Pattaya. It was my favorite place outside of
Boystown. The first guys that swamped me was in that bar. Whatever Broken Hearted Woman was popular was the year I remember best.. The DJ played it every third song. Nice wild place.. Loved the shows and guys too. My memory of it was in the early 90's.

Dboy
August 10th, 2007, 04:53
pud Angrid mai me, pom pud Thai

khun pud dai pasa Thai dee mak krap

Dboy

August 10th, 2007, 11:27
DELETED

catawampuscat
August 10th, 2007, 13:48
Actually JB, it was your association (friendship?) with that certain other poster that gave me a bad impression of you.
I do believe birds of a feather fly together and while highly inaccurate at times, we do tend
to judge others by the company they keep.

I was often entertained by bg and while he was highly obnoxious, he was also highly
intelligent and often let the wind out of some of the windbags.
I have withdrawn my support of bg as he crossed the line and I do fear he might have
snapped. I have warmed up to you as I also tend to find you overbearing at times but
intelligent and usually on the Mark. :cat:

Rainwalker and others have taken over on that certain poster getting his comeuppance and
I try to give it a rest. He does try to provoke over on another gaythailand website
forum and I am sure he is pushing someones button to the breaking point. Some sane moderation
there would be welcome but I guess it does stir up the dust and even smiles jumped in...

elephantspike
August 10th, 2007, 14:08
Pom put nit-noy, khap.