PDA

View Full Version : Warning for retirement visa holders

August 4th, 2007, 15:33
Someone here reported that for those using the 800K bank account method, they didn't have to have over 800K in the account 3 months prior to the extension meeting (at least in Jomtien) except for the FIRST extension.

This appears to NOT BE TRUE. On top of that, they are now asking for PROOF from your Thai bank that the money transfers came from abroad (even for previous years). It seems the codes in the bank books are no longer being accepted!

jvt22222
August 5th, 2007, 07:47
As recently as a couple of weeks ago, the Pattaya Immigration folks were NOT requiring that the 800,000 baht have been in the bank three months prior to renewal........... only that the account had been topped up to 800,000 by the time of renewal with funds transferred from outside the country........... also have for years required a letter from a Thai bank insuring that the funds were transferred from overseas. Of course, the officers at Immigration have considerable leeway to interpret the rules -- client-by-client -- so you never know

August 5th, 2007, 08:34
There is at present a good deal of ambiguity about new retirement visa regulations that will officially go into effect in October. However, there is good evidence that first time applicants are held to a different standard then are those renewing. I would suggest playing it safe for now and applying for a renewal far enough in advance to be able to "adjust" for any new requirements that may be applied.

August 5th, 2007, 12:42
As recently as a couple of weeks ago, the Pattaya Immigration folks were NOT requiring that the 800,000 baht have been in the bank three months prior to renewal........... only that the account had been topped up to 800,000 by the time of renewal with funds transferred from outside the country........... also have for years required a letter from a Thai bank insuring that the funds were transferred from overseas. Of course, the officers at Immigration have considerable leeway to interpret the rules -- client-by-client -- so you never know
I think you are very incorrect.

1. 2 weeks ago info is meaningless
2. There is a new regulation in effect out of Bangkok, being applied now
3. They never before required a letter saying the funds came from abroad, this could be proven by the CODES in your bank bank, these codes are no longer being accepted, according to this new regulation
4. The standard letter your bank gives you verifies the balance, and not the foreign source confirmation
5. A specific form is being required now from the bank to prove foreign money source

You are correct about the leeway, I suppose. But, do you feel lucky?
You are taking a big risk if you don't top up your money 3 months prior if using the bank account only method, even if not the first time.

I don't like this crap anymore than you do, but being in denial about it isn't going to help at all.