PDA

View Full Version : Ouch

August 3rd, 2007, 18:42
Just watched a video on the Daily Mail website of a Malaysian criminal being caned. I think even the more severe S&M guys would shudder at that. I'll definitely give it a miss. Is Thailand noted for such punishments?

August 3rd, 2007, 18:54
No.

August 3rd, 2007, 18:58
When Winston Churchill was First Lord of the Admiralty someone once asked him about "the proud traditions of the Royal Navy". Churchill replied that the Navy has only three traditions - "rum, sodomy and the lash".

August 3rd, 2007, 19:06
Link to the caning video, please?

August 3rd, 2007, 19:06
Just watched a video on the Daily Mail website of a Malaysian criminal being caned. I think even the more severe S&M guys would shudder at that. I'll definitely give it a miss. Is Thailand noted for such punishments?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=5ab_1172940415

Not for the faint-hearted. Painful !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 3rd, 2007, 19:11
Thanks. Absolutely barbaric.

August 3rd, 2007, 19:25
I wonder what effect such punishments would have in say, the UK, USA or Australia. Perhaps crime would drop dramatically?

August 3rd, 2007, 19:31
I wonder what effect such punishments would have in say, the UK, USA or Australia. Perhaps crime would drop dramatically?I imagine it's the same as capital punishment acting as a deterrent to murder. It doesn't. Countries that practice capital punishment often have a murder rate higher than those who don't (eg. Thailand). It's like speeding on the highway - do you ever think you're going to get caught? And when you do, it's life that's unfair, not you that's the fool

August 4th, 2007, 13:04
major ouch!

Aunty
August 4th, 2007, 14:37
I imagine it's the same as capital punishment acting as a deterrent to murder. It doesn't. Countries that practice capital punishment often have a murder rate higher than those who don't (eg. Thailand). It's like speeding on the highway - do you ever think you're going to get caught? And when you do, it's life that's unfair, not you that's the fool

It's about punishment, not deterrence, you moron.

August 5th, 2007, 03:21
Still can't decide if I'm for or against this kind of punishment. Does it achieve anything I wonder. Maybe a victim would feel better if he sees the perpetrator of the crime suffer. Hell I don't know.

Was wondering how long it would take for that guy's butt to heal to the point where he can sit on it and not feel anything. Anyone with any medical knowledge or even - perish the thought - personal experience have any idea or opinion?
I imagine some of the scars are for life.