PDA

View Full Version : It couldn't happen to a nicer man...

Marsilius
July 31st, 2007, 13:42
The BBC is reporting this morning that the organisation Human Rights Watch has written to the governing body of UK soccer's Premier League to query Thaksin's ┬г81 million takeover of Manchester City FC.

Premier League regulations apparently specify that anyone running a soccer club must be a "fit and proper" person - and Human Rights Watch (backed on this issue by Amnesty International) claim that Thaksin's human rights record while Thai PM means that he is no such thing.

Thaksin's lawyer spoke on the BBC. His defence of his client was based on the fact that Thaksin was - and remains, he says - the most popular politician in Thailand. Well, that's all right, then.

July 31st, 2007, 13:47
He has also never been convicted of any crime.

July 31st, 2007, 14:04
He has also never been convicted of any crime.

He has also no intention of coming back to be convicted by the present Government, not if he has got any sense at all!

July 31st, 2007, 14:06
He doesn't have to be here to be convicted. All it takes is the Thai government to get off its ass, find some hard evidence, and convict him in absentia. So far, all they've done is throw around allegations. It's really pretty pathetic.

July 31st, 2007, 14:52
Ordering the deaths of 1500 people without a trial is not a crime? His anti drug wars were nothing more than eliminating political opponents.

July 31st, 2007, 14:57
Ordering the deaths of 1500 people without a trial is not a crime? His anti drug wars were nothing more than eliminating political opponents.

Of course it's a bloody crime! But has he been convicted? Of course not...he hasn't even been CHARGED. I repeat: pathetic.

July 31st, 2007, 22:17
... there is a certain amount of corruption in any society ... but whatever they say about Thaksin, he is no different to a lot of governments that have been in power in Thailand (well all over the world, if you think about it) - they are elected, do good for a couple of years, then everything goes sour - that seems to be the same ole story. Whilst people think that Thaksin has done a lot of bad in the country, he has also done a lot of good - the economy; social values (but without success); and various other things, good or bad - to a certain degree he has attempted to tackle poverty; and introduced the 30bht health scheme. Corruption is not just at the top, it is embeded in "whole", just because Thaksin has gone, doesn't mean corruption will stop.

I wonder what the next elected government will be like??

Bob
August 1st, 2007, 02:52

Not the only time you've made this allegation. Could you kindly please provide the (any) evidence that Shinawatra ordered or even had knowledge of any extra-judicial killings during the "drug war" or that any of the decedents were even involved in politics?

If you don't have any knowledge about any evidence that would support your allegation, it's rather stupid to make it.

P.S. I'm sure there are people who believe that Thaksin ordered the tsunami too....

Marsilius
August 1st, 2007, 13:48
Update, 1 August...

Since the original news, the UK football authorities have tried to pass the buck by saying that only the UK government could make the decision as to whether someone was a "fit and proper person".

This morning a UK government minister said that was nonsense. The "fit and proper" proviso is an internal regulation within UK football and so it is up to the footbal authorities to make a judgement on Thaksin's appropriateness for the post of Manchester City FC boss.

August 1st, 2007, 16:11
I wonder what the next elected government will be like??
Probably the same as the last dozen or so. Equally as corrupt and self-serving ! TIT

August 1st, 2007, 19:14
Thaksin was a politician.
Politics is a job.
Jobs are performed to earn money.
Corruption is no stranger to politics.
Politics is no stranger to corruption.
Politicians lie, bend truths, deny and strongarm any belief that does not suit them.
Thaksin is no different to hundreds of politicians in the rest of the world, his downfall was a military coup. I wonder if a military coup in UK, USA, Australia would make the world a better place!
Are the wonderful Thai people better or worse off for being rid of him? Time will tell I suppose.
You tell me!