PDA

View Full Version : 3 weeks in Thailand

July 30th, 2007, 23:07
Hello all,

I've been a lurker here for a few weeks, thinking I might be able to get some good advice from you guys.

I'm looking to spend 3 weeks in Thailand next year. At first I was preparing to spend the majority of the time in Bangkok, but after reading posts and guides, I think I would like to also visit Pattaya and maybe a "prettier" beach side resort town as well. I was wondering if anyone could lead me in the right direction as far as how to divvy up my time and suggestions for a nice beach side town that is relatively cheap to get to from Bangkok/Pattaya. I am mainly interested in nightlife and Go Go bars. Planning on visiting some time in between May 2008 - July 2008.

How are the Go Go bars during the off season? Any month particularly good to visit?

Anyone planning on being around Bangkok/Pattaya at that time? Would love to have a friend to show me around the nightlife, as I will be traveling alone.

Also, would anyone be able to suggest massage parlours and Go Go bars that have muscular masculine types of boys (in Pattaya)?

Thanks in advance.

July 30th, 2007, 23:11
There are no "pretty" beaches in Thailand that have a sex industry attached to them. You'll have to choose what is more important to you -- or take your own. From Pattaya, Koh Samet would probably be the place to go.

llz
July 31st, 2007, 00:22
Hua Hin has a pretty beach, is not too far from Bangkok and has a very small scene (two or three bars with boys). In fact I was surprised last time I went there with my b/friend that there was a lot of gay people staying in Hua Hin, most of them having brought their own boy.
Phuket is much farther although quite close with a low-cost flight, but Bangkok + Pattaya + Phuket on the same trip would probably be too much for a first-timer.

July 31st, 2007, 01:33
phucket beaches are lovely, thats the ones a bit further away than the one's all the tourist go to, make a little effort to go to them & you shall be rewarded

Thai_Faen-old
July 31st, 2007, 02:47
phucket beaches are lovely, thats the ones a bit further away than the one's all the tourist go to, make a little effort to go to them & you shall be rewarded

I agree about the beaches in Phuket, they are nicer than the ones I have seen in Pattaya, but the night life in Pattaya is far better but then again this is my opinion and no doubt some of the other users probably prefer Phuket.

I wouldn't travel around too much on your first visit, I would recommend Bangkok and Pattaya and divide the time up as you like between the two.

Thai_Faen :bounce:

lonelywombat
July 31st, 2007, 07:06

I agree about the beaches in Phuket, they are nicer than the ones I have seen in Pattaya, but the night life in Pattaya is far better but then again this is my opinion and no doubt some of the other users probably prefer Phuket.

I wouldn't travel around too much on your first visit, I would recommend Bangkok and Pattaya and divide the time up as you like between the two.

Thai_Faen :bounce:

I have regularly visited Phuket, Pattaya and finished in Bangkok and maybe this might help your planning

First some international airlines fly direct into Phuket. I do not know where you are coming from, but check the connection flights at Bangkok to Phuket, and possibly coming via Singapore or Tokyo with a direct flight from there. You are going to spend your first day quietly so why not do it on the beach at Phuket The scene is not large and you will enjoy not being pressured in the same way as Pattaya

There are direct flights from Phuket to Pattaya daily and in the mornings a second flight via Koh Samui I would suggest a maximum of a week in Phuket before getting to the bigger sleaze of Pattaya.

I think you should for the experience stay a few nights in Bangkok, which means around 10 days in Pattaya and 3/4 days Bangkok. You dont have to return to Phuket as Pattaya is about 90 minutes by taxi to BKK

Just a suggestion for your first night. Friends arrived at 6AM from Australia and had to wait until 2PM before their room was ready. Not unusual this happens in every big city . I always book the extra night so I have a bed to go to immediately on arrival.

Have a good trip.

bing
July 31st, 2007, 08:34
I make no claims to be a pundit, but would echo the idea of spending time in Bangkok to start with and visit all the temples and ride on the Klongs and do the Shopping Malls. This should be the first week. Plus do the night life for all your worth. Then when you have week of this under your belt go to Pattaya and visit the beach during the day and have a nice supper and then check out the best gay territory in the world. You next two weeks will be the fastest of your life. Enjoy.

fedssocr
July 31st, 2007, 09:47
As I always do, I suggest spending time getting to know Thailand, not just the inside of a go go bar or the beach. Go up to Chiang Mai for a few days and see the north. Enjoy the cultural and historical attractions. Meet nice people who aren't associated with the sex industry.

I spent my first trip in Thailand last autumn with several days in Bangkok, then a few days in Pattaya, then a week or so in Chiang Mai and vicinity and Chiang Rai, then back to BKK for several days at the end. I had plenty of time to see the bars and spent some time at the beach in Pattaya. It seems a shame to go all the way to Thailand and to not really experience it. But that's my own personal preference. If all you want is beach and boys then have a good time. But Thailand has much more to offer than that.

I'll also put in my usual plug for Purple Dragon Tours (www.purpledrag.com (http://www.purpledrag.com)). As a first timer I found it to be worth every penny. They arrange all the transfers, hotels, and personal guides to show you around. Very professional and friendly.

July 31st, 2007, 10:04
As I always do, I suggest spending time getting to know Thailand, not just the inside of a go go bar or the beach. Meet nice people who aren't associated with the sex industry.

BLASPHEMY!!! BURN THE WITCH!!!

Impulse
July 31st, 2007, 11:37
I have to agree with Boygenious on this one.Just enjoy the bars and the sex scene while in Thailand,thats its forte if you will. There is no place in the world like the sex scene in LOS. I havnt even seen the grand palace in Bangkok,though Ive been to Thailand three times and stayed a week in Bangkok.You can sight see plenty when in other countries.

lonelywombat
August 1st, 2007, 09:55
There is a new thread on Phuket that you should look at as well.

The best beaches with a gay community are in Phuket.

If you want to consider flights from Phuket to Pattaya

http://www.bangkokair.com/

August 1st, 2007, 12:20
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone :cheers:

If anyone else has any other recommendations or answers to my other questions, please post :)

August 1st, 2007, 19:03
I agree, there is more to Thailand than booze and go go bars, try a trip to Ayutthya and come back to Bangkok by boat. Worth every dollar. The ruins are magnificent which is more than I can say about the old ruins you will see in Pattaya. (Blasphemy indeed, boygeenyus!)
Expanding one's knowledge of foreign lands is a privelidge and should be a pleasure to all lucky enough to do so. Enjoy your time in Thailand, see more than the seedy side and meet some wonderful people, I have and wouldn't trade it for anything.