PDA

View Full Version : How about the Don Plaza?

July 30th, 2007, 13:59
On this visit to Pattaya, we thought about trying out the Don Plaza. Have stayed at the Flamingo and the Ambiance many times before, so I thought a change might be nice. Any one have any recent experience at this hotel or any comments?

July 30th, 2007, 14:30
Hi Justme, i paid a visit there back in May. I hated the place. Try climbing the stairs to the room when youve had a few drinks. They're the worst steps ive ever seen in a hotel. The beds didnt have top sheets only a bottom sheet and a folded blanket. No i would stay with the Flamingo or Ambience.

catawampuscat
July 30th, 2007, 15:26
In order to make the lobby floor second toilet not have a slanted ceiling, they choose to make the steps above it, very
steep. Bad decision and someone will certainly slip and fall.

The other bad decision is the very heavy use of artificial plants in obscene colours everywhere and over sized furniture.
The glass wall in front of the shower was cute but I prefer to pull back the curtain if I want to look at my friend of
the hour.
Some complain that the area is very dark and can be dangerous if you return late at nite on foot but I haven't heard of
any incidents yet.
Kudos should be given to men who transformed this formerly hellish corner of Sunee Plaza and replacing the worst of
the pedo bars with a modern hotel. Taste is personal and some will enjoy the colourful plants and not mind the tight steps
and enjoy the spacious rooms, over-sized furniture and the view of the shower.. :cat:

July 30th, 2007, 17:19
In order to make the lobby floor second toilet not have a slanted ceiling, they choose to make the steps above it, very
steep. Bad decision and someone will certainly slip and fall.

The other bad decision is the very heavy use of artificial plants in obscene colours everywhere and over sized furniture.
The glass wall in front of the shower was cute but I prefer to pull back the curtain if I want to look at my friend of
the hour.
Some complain that the area is very dark and can be dangerous if you return late at nite on foot but I haven't heard of
any incidents yet.
Kudos should be given to men who transformed this formerly hellish corner of Sunee Plaza and replacing the worst of
the pedo bars with a modern hotel. Taste is personal and some will enjoy the colourful plants and not mind the tight steps
and enjoy the spacious rooms, over-sized furniture and the view of the shower.. :cat:

Be aware of the the current "promotion" rates. You can get the same standard or more and pay less ...

July 30th, 2007, 18:00
Hi,

I stayed there the other day and it is not my first visit to there, although I tend to limit it to one or maximum two nights.

The best thing about the place is Eric the manager!!!

Steps are steep and difficult, and I am well able to climb stairs. Plastic plants as mentioned.

I hated, with a vengeance, the window to the bedroom from the shower

I definitely like privacy in a bathroom, be it the lavatory or shower or just cleaning my teeth.

I got a knock on my door, after telling the person No on the phone already, asking to stay as the person had no room that night.

I wasn't concerned and made short work of telling him No again. By the way, I knew him from Sunnee, he works in no bar cos he's too bloody lazy and does not take No, for an answer.

This was late night, approximately 2.00am. This, along with car parking, is why I don't as a rule, stay in that area.

Others may feel more intimidated by something like this.

I have been staying recently at the Royal Twins opposite Royal Garden, which I am very happy with.

I no longer swim, due to my condition, but you guys would like the pool. Decent sized room, not glam but good nice and clean.

They generally like you to check in with your guest, no problem for me in that department.

If someone visits after hours they charge 100 baht and provide a receipt. Good security, if you like that, both in the car park and in reception.

Suits people who don't want visitors calling at all hours and like a pool and good lobby.

Great food, reasonable price.

July 30th, 2007, 19:22
I would like to see it torn down and the outdoor bar returned to its former self. Porbably the best outside bar in sunee. Unfortunately the owner did not take the necessary precautions to keep the yougner ones out. But that did not change the fact that it was the best location for watching the happenings in Sunee. The Don is just in a bad location with no daytime activity or resturants in the area. One has to go into Day Night area or downtown to eat during the daytime hours. There is still the idea of Police knocking on your door to check for underage in rooms. Don't think it won't happen as it has in other areas.