PDA

View Full Version : so national holiday here, what to do in Pattaya today?

July 29th, 2007, 14:13
seems like it is a national holiday here today and tomorrow, i was told all go go bars are closed, so what to do, any suggestion please? its my first day in pattaya and it is a national holiday, funny!

elephantspike
July 29th, 2007, 15:02
It is Asarnha Bucha Day today. It's kind of like a Buddhist observation of an event in Buddhist history that was very much like The Sermon on The Mount in Christianity, only it was like 500 years earlier, and the attendance was reported to be better than at The Mount, maybe even better than at Woodstock.

Also, at Asarnha Bucha, no one even called anyone or promoted the event. They all just kind of showed-up. It must have been pretty cool.

Of course there is no movie available that I know of, because this event occurred 2,400 years before celluloid was invented. If anyone knows of a good bootleg of the event, though, I'd like to hear it.

I'm not sure what is open today in Bangkok and other places. I suppose it will be hit or miss.

July 29th, 2007, 15:50
seems like it is a national holiday here today and tomorrow, i was told all go go bars are closed, so what to do, any suggestion please? its my first day in pattaya and it is a national holiday, funny!

Just allow yourself some time and walk slowly around the Royal Garden Plaza. I am sure you will find someone (or someone will find you) in no time who is able and willing to explain more about Pattaya and so on to you.

July 29th, 2007, 15:58

Go to Royal Garden Mall. Check the movie times--And who's waiting out front for the show to start.

Have a Blizzard at Royal garden Dairy Queen. Eat it there & observe. Anyone seem interested?

Go to the beach.

Go to Beach Road.

Go to Buddha Hill.

Walk around Boys Town after dark: sometimes boys hang around 'their' bar.

Walk around Sunnee Plaza after dark--same-same above. (Is there a party at Howard's)

Rent a moto'cy taxi.

Go bowling.

Take cold shower & study Thai. Tomorrow will be better.

July 30th, 2007, 17:42
I got "caught" a couple of years back with this same holiday.
Luckily I had a "duty free" bottle of whisky in my room and in the afternoon I took a long, leisurely walk around the Silom / Suriwong area of BKK. I was inundated with 'new' friends. It was a very enjoyable day, little traffic and still restaurants available although no booze. A 'new' friend joined me back at the hotel for a couple of 'stiff' scotch's and the world was full of beauty.

July 30th, 2007, 18:07
Just allow yourself some time and walk slowly around the Royal Garden Plaza. I am sure you will find someone (or someone will find you) in no time who is able and willing to explain more about Pattaya and so on to you.The may even give you some oral ... history

Marsilius
July 30th, 2007, 19:59
...or some anal-ysis of Thai politics...