PDA

View Full Version : Where to stay??

July 27th, 2007, 20:09
I didn't get much reaction from my last post guys, so I 'll reword my question.
I have 10 days/9 nights to stay in Pattaya in the high season coming up.
If you were me.....where would you choose to stay?????????
I'd like to be within walking distance of the "action" and some decent restaurants / eateries.
I would appreciate your thoughts. :bounce:

July 27th, 2007, 21:16
I didn't get much reaction from my last post guys, so I 'll reword my question.
I have 10 days/9 nights to stay in Pattaya in the high season coming up.
If you were me.....where would you choose to stay?????????
I'd like to be within walking distance of the "action" and some decent restaurants / eateries.
I would appreciate your thoughts. :bounce:
Try Le Cafe Royal or Ambience hotels, right in the heart of Boyztown. Both thoroughly recommended. The excellent Amor (gay owned) restaurant is also right in the middle of the area.

If you want to be among the chicken hawks or prefer your boys on the young side, there are several hotels/guest houses in the Sunee Plaza area. It all depends what sort of 'action' you are after.

Jomtien has very good accommodation and eateries but there is little 'action', more the place to go with your pipe and slippers!

As for other decent restaurants/eateries, there are a multitude of them but they are widely spaced around Central/South Pattaya and on the road to Jomtien. :cheers:

Thai_Faen-old
July 27th, 2007, 21:32
I can recommend Le Cafe Royale as stayed there a number of times on my visits.

Thai_Faen :bounce:

Smiles
July 28th, 2007, 00:08
Here's an off the wall suggestion: try the AA Hotel on the corner of Beach Rd and Soi 13.

Not a "gay" hotel (by whatever your accepted definition of that phrase is), but gay 'friendly' in the sense that they couldn't give a rat's ass if your gay ... or even American.

It's an older 70's style hotel, a bit on the threadbare side, but it's right on Beach Rd, a few blocks walk from Boyztown and zillions of restaurants of every persuasion.
The baht bus to Jomtien (and everywhere) stops right outside the front door, and it has a very nice outdoor swimming pool on the third floor (if I recall) overlooking Pattaya Beach.
You can get a decent breakfast in the lobby restaurant, and play snooker in the lobby bar later in the afternoon.
Management is friendly & helpful, but other than when asked for assistance, totally unobtrusive.

Rooms are mid-size and quite of-the-norm for an 800 baht/day price (warning: price is from 2 years ago). Not much of a view except if you ask for (or assigned unexpectedly) a beach-facing window. Bathrooms are large and marble-tiled.

We've stayed there twice and were quite happy with it's reasonable price, pool, and location. No website or internet booking that I'm aware of. We walked in off the street the first time (phoned the second, but I've lost the number) and had no problem getting a room.

There are also a number of other hotels on Soi 13 which you could take a look at if you don't like the AA. Just a very good location if your staying in Pattaya.

Here's a map of it's location:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/sawatdeephotos/soi13-pattaya.jpg

Cheers ...

Dick
July 28th, 2007, 05:55
If you haven't visited Pattaya before, a place like Monty's now twoguysguesthouse (http://www.twoguysguesthouse.com/) might appeal because you will have friendly ex-pat guests there to offer help or local advice or guidance if wanted. No local pressures or intimidations that you might feel elsewhere. Nice place to stay and it won't break the bank:-) The location is midway to everywhere with Sunee on the doorstep, with convenience stores and ATM just a stones throw away. Actually quite a lot within walking distance once you've learnt where these gems are. Otherwise only a 10B taxi ride away. Yes there are other gay hotels in boystown, but the guests are more stand-offish and less inclined to proffer conversation. Why not book for just a few days to check it out and get your bearings, and if you aren't convinced, move on to somewhere that might suit your preferences better. But I'm thinking you're unlikely to be disappointed.

July 28th, 2007, 10:22
Flamingo is a hidden jewell, gay friendly, they check your friend, just between boiztown and sunee.

July 28th, 2007, 18:28
Thank you all for your guidance, Smiles...you went to a lot of trouble in your reply but I'm afraid your description and the lack of web contact rules AA out, I don't drink that much anyway! Thanks to Buasang, on advice to maybe stay clear of staying in Jomtien. I have stayed in Pattaya once before at a shithole of a place which has now been renamed. I would really like to see Pattaya as it should be.
I am assuming no one here knows of the Orchid Guest House as advertised on "La Cage" website?
I am also assuming that Howards Guest House is not flavour of the day?
Once again thank's to every reply.

July 28th, 2007, 18:47
howards is good, but be prepared for knocks on the door after you've retired to bed from the guys working there, this doesnt always happen & maybe a good or bad thing?

Flamingo is right in the middle of both the 2 main gay bars area's depending on which you prefer, sleazy sunee or professional Boi town?
Flamingo has some good priced rooms with balconys at the front also, howards is newer but smaller, cheaper & with no real dinning facilities - but dont asked Dick about the beds here haha!

the nearer you go to BT the more youshall pay, but worth it for the money. Watch out for the penthouse in BT, many people say they are not freindly towards us faggits!

have fun............

July 28th, 2007, 19:48
Watch out for the penthouse in BT, many people say they are not freindly towards us faggits!

I know a few gays who like the Penthouse on Pattayaland Soi 2. Most others complain bitterly about the drunken, squealing/screaming and noisy bar girls who stomp around the hotel corridors all night shouting to each other! If you want a reasonably peaceful night's sleep it seems not to be the place to stay.

July 28th, 2007, 21:17
howards is good, but be prepared for knocks on the door after you've retired to bed from the guys working there, this doesnt always happen & maybe a good or bad thing?

I stayed at HOWARDS on two occassions after reading this,eagerly waiting for that knock on the door that never came?

I even had to shout it out that i was going up to my room...............but no one gave a fuck.?
Guess they are trying to tell you something !! :laughing9:

PinkSilom
July 28th, 2007, 22:49
Hi Aussieal,

You have stay in the Caf├й Royale or the Ambiance in Soi 3. You could save a couple of hundred baht per night and stay elsewhere, but you get what you pay for. Both hotels guard their reputation fiercely and go out of their way to ensure their guests a happy. You couldn't get much closer to the action either. You have go-go bars, show bars, host bars and a pub without even leaving the street. The Caf├й Royale and Ambiance offer simple, but good food and the Amor is a bit more adventurous. There is little or nothing on the gay scene worth seeing outside Boyztown. If you've only got ten nights, why waste your time slumming it elsewhere.

July 29th, 2007, 06:44
Hi Aussieal,

You have stay in the Caf├й Royale or the Ambiance in Soi 3. You could save a couple of hundred baht per night and stay elsewhere, but you get what you pay for. Both hotels guard their reputation fiercely and go out of their way to ensure their guests a happy. You couldn't get much closer to the action either. You have go-go bars, show bars, host bars and a pub without even leaving the street. The Caf├й Royale and Ambiance offer simple, but good food and the Amor is a bit more adventurous. There is little or nothing on the gay scene worth seeing outside Boyztown. If you've only got ten nights, why waste your time slumming it elsewhere.

You're right. There is still the good old Serene Hotel just behind the Le Caf├й Royal ... Old, dusty, cheap, basic, inexpensive. There have some better, recently renovated rooms but you have to push he receptionists to hand over the keys. Abpart from that, the hotel is surely gay friendly.

PinkSilom
July 29th, 2007, 07:06
Ttom, you were left with a better impression of the Serene than I was. However cheap it is, I would still book into the Caf├й or Ambiance. There's no harm in looking over the Serene with a future visit in mind, as aussieal is coming in high season when it will be difficult to find good accommodation if he is unhappy with the Serene.

July 29th, 2007, 07:40
Ttom, you were left with a better impression of the Serene than I was. However cheap it is, I would still book into the Caf├й or Ambiance. There's no harm in looking over the Serene with a future visit in mind, as aussieal is coming in high season when it will be difficult to find good accommodation if he is unhappy with the Serene.

I know the hotels around BoyzTown more than 15 years and for sure I know what I want if I book a room somewhere. I must admit I've had once a lousy room at the Senere Hotel and afterwards a word with the owner. Ever since I get a good room (they do have some!) and still for a very good price. I have no reason to complain. But the hotel is tatty, true.

I know the Le Caf├и Royal and have a quite a few drinks with the late Ian. We both went on very well and he always ensured that I (we) have been treated there very nicely. I still love the Piano bar and try to hop in once a week I am around. It's just a different but pleasant place where I meet friends like Tui and others for small talk and a good drink.

Without and any doubts there is the excellent Ambiance Hotel. This is still trend setting in style and excellence. Even ad standard rooms the comfort is brilliant. After a raunchy encounter with my supervisor during afternoons, the bed is often a mess, which I must admit. But as soon as we are out of the room and back, everything is tidy and nicely set up again like a brand new clean room. That’s something what I even don't get at my favourite hotel Bangkok, the Oriental. That is only one thing I (we) love at the Ambiance, there are many more. The staff is friendly and helpful. The coffee shop is not a restaurant but it suits well.
For me regarding value for money the Ambiance is hard to beat.

For hot and raunchy parties the Penthouse Hotel is another option. It doesn’t look like it, but it’s very gay or bi at least. I don’t like the design of some rooms but some features are unique even in Pattaya and not to be found somewhere else in Thailand.

The Flamingo Hotel is so so. Forget Howards.

It’s always pending what you are looking for. For I night owl with just gay live and bars in mid, BoysTown is the place to be. If you are looking for younger crowd, more basic bars, that’s Sunee. If you like the small mix on smaller scales, some quit evenings and the sea, it’s Jomtien with all the naughtiness of Pattaya just 10 to 15 minutes away.

For someone who doesn’t know Pattaya, I would recommend booking a flight to Thailand and one day maybe two nights at any tourist hotel since transportation is included. Have a nap at the hotel for some hours and go round and look what you like. Go inside, look at the rooms. Do not make you’re mind up from outside or the lobby. Decide what you like and book yourself in for some days. If you still like it, stay on otherwise move somewhere else. The choice is enormous.

July 29th, 2007, 11:13
DELETED

PinkSilom
July 29th, 2007, 16:53
I stand by my post, despite the fact that John Botting thinks it was #$@!

I did not suggest Jomtien because aussieal wanted 'to be within walking distance of the action'. I do not believe the activity in Jomtien could possibly be described as 'action'.

The fact that he sought 'decent restaurants / eateries' implied that he had a reasonable budget, so could afford a better quality hotel. There are many cheaper alternatives, but you get what you pay for.

lonelywombat
July 29th, 2007, 17:19
[quote="PinkSilom"

I did not suggest Jomtien because aussieal wanted 'to be within walking distance of the action'. I do not believe

the activity in Jomtien could possibly be described as 'action'.

The fact that he sought 'decent restaurants / eateries' implied that he had a reasonable budget, so could afford a

better quality hotel. There are many cheaper alternatives, but you get what you pay for.[/quote]

I opened a new thread to get the url of Montys renamed B&B I get the impression you did not bother to read or

follow it up

The requirement to be in walking distance of the action is a limiting factor that you should rethink

If you stay in Jomtien, there are baht buses going past every minute to just near Sunee and go past Boyztown,

and there are motorbike taxis every 100 yards or so. In high season getting to beach and back is a nightmare.

Bondi and Poseiden are just 2 of the hotels in Jomtien that are recommended by members of this board

However if you stuff around much longer you will find yourself left out Most high season hotels are booked out

from high season to high season

I would start sending emails today to find out what is available, for when you plan to be here

July 29th, 2007, 18:41
Thank you guys.......your input has been great!

catawampuscat
July 29th, 2007, 18:52
For some of us a lift is critical and a place like the old Monty's would be ruled out as it doesn't have one.

For some being in an all gay or mostly gay hotel is very important or not important at all. It can be unpleasant
being in a lobby or a lift with an obviously gay fem boy and being harrassed by a group of drunken heteros
or stared out by old bags. For some it doesn't matter.

Price is another consideration and if ones budget is tight there are some opinions and many more if the
budget is not a problem.

Noise can be an issue and some hotels in the thick of things are sometimes noisy especially if you are an
early or light sleeper.

Do you need a safe in your room? Lobby safes are a problem sometimes as can be room safes.

Do you need 24 hr. reception or would you rather come and go as you please with whomever you please.?
A guest house or small place without reception can be dangerous for a first timer if your boys lack proper ID or are underage.

Many things to consider but for most first timers Ambience or Cafe Royal work out well as they are in the center
of Boyztown and tres gay but frankly this can get old fast after a few days.

Most of us have stayed at many of the fore mentioned places and each has pros and cons depending on ones needs. :cat:

July 29th, 2007, 19:25
Your questions are great, I'm not on a tight budget, will pay up to BHT2000 per night for what suits me.
I do prefer a quiet place after midnight to sleep.
A lift/elevator is great but 1 or 2 up (max) is OK.
I would prefer a safe in the room or safe facilities at the accomodation providors desk.
I must say that I would prefer the hotel to check and hold the ID of any guest I might have, I'm comfortable with that as I stay at the Tarntawan in BKK frequently.
I am not interested in underage boys and would prefer someone to check this before I take a guest to my room.
I don't particularly require breakfast either, just tea/coffee making facilities suit me.
I prefer the bar fridge unstocked.
Old bags and drunk hetero's don't particularly bother me but we all would rather do without them!
I am not a first timer to Thailand ( 14 or more visits) but my (one & only time in Pattaya) was absolutely dreadful, due mainly to my choice of accomodation. ( I should have given the owner a good kick in the balls.)
Once again I thank you all for your advice and input, maybe I will meet some of you guys in Pattaya when I visit soon.

catawampuscat
July 29th, 2007, 21:12
The noise issue used to be a bigger one when the bars closed at 4AM and even when they closed at 2AM but now
with 1AM closing, being right about the bar is not as bad as before. I would still ask not to be right above the bar.
No lifts but 24 hr. receptionist and as I recall they will hold the ID card (it has been a few years) and check the age.
Breakfast not included as I recall and accommodations more than adequate with your budget.
I seem to remember the safe being in the room but it has been a while.
I am sure they both have web sites with photos, prices etc. and they do fill up in high season. :cat:

The last time I stayed at Ambience, it was in the annex across the soi which is now part of Cafe Royal. My room was just
past the entrance to the massage place called Body Shop or Body something and they used full body instead of just a hand
for the happy ending. Not sure if same policy but worth a look if you stay at one of these mini hotels.

July 29th, 2007, 22:04
Your questions are great, I'm not on a tight budget, will pay up to BHT2000 per night for what suits me. Ambience or Le Cafe Royale ideal - well under 2000 THB for standard/superior room (suites are more).

I do prefer a quiet place after midnight to sleep. LCR better tham Ambience (unless you are at least two floors above the BBB bar)

A lift/elevator is great but 1 or 2 up (max) is OK. NO lifts in either but if you book early enough at LCR the first floor is ideal and not noisy at all even over the piano bar but rooms 106 and 107, nearly over Toy Boys bar can be noisy until about 2am

I would prefer a safe in the room or safe facilities at the accomodation providors desk. Both have electronic room safes

I must say that I would prefer the hotel to check and hold the ID of any guest I might have, I'm comfortable with that as I stay at the Tarntawan in BKK frequently. Both hold visitor's ID at reception.

I am not interested in underage boys and would prefer someone to check this before I take a guest to my room. Stay away from Sunee Plaza !!

I don't particularly require breakfast either, just tea/coffee making facilities suit me. Room rates are without breakfast, but neither have tea/coffee making facilities in room.

I prefer the bar fridge unstocked. Mini-bars stocked but I'm sure they would un-stock them for you if requested, particularly if you are staying for some time and not just one or a couple of nights.

Old bags and drunk hetero's don't particularly bother me but we all would rather do without them! Both hotels purely gay, except for the very occasional bi couple or relations of gay visitors/hotel staff. You do however get some old bags (hags) in the form of tired old Queens !!

I am not a first timer to Thailand ( 14 or more visits) but my (one & only time in Pattaya) was absolutely dreadful, due mainly to my choice of accomodation. ( I should have given the owner a good kick in the balls.)
Once again I thank you all for your advice and input, maybe I will meet some of you guys in Pattaya when I visit soon.

Stress if you are visiting high season, EARLY RESERVATIONS are almost essential !!