PDA

View Full Version : TAXI STAND at new airport

donald1
July 25th, 2007, 14:18
I tried the search feature but couldn't find the info I remember reading on here a while ago.

At the old airport there was a taxi stand that charged 50 bt + tolls + meter for a taxi to our hotel. I understand at the new airport this stand is difficult to find because of many private or taxi touts ushering passengers to their cars.
Can someone tell me exactly where I need to go to get the taxi I am looking for?
Thanks....

TrongpaiExpat
July 25th, 2007, 14:44
When you come out of the door from luggage, go down one floor to the ground level. Sometimes the touts stand in front of the sign for the public taxi stand, other times there no where to be seen.

There are a few stands on the ground floor. If there is a long line at one, move on to the next. It is not clearly visible from the lobby that there's more than one. Often one has a long line and the one just down a little has only a few people in line.

At first they were using a one lane loading system. Now I noticed they are using two or three lanes, so the line moves faster.

I notice you called it the "New Airport". Suvarnabhumi is a mouth full. I also notice that the foreign flight crews say welcome to Bangkok International Airport and don't attempt saying Suvarnabhumi.

July 25th, 2007, 15:20
When you come out of the door from luggage, go down one floor to the ground level. Sometimes the touts stand in front of the sign for the public taxi stand, other times there no where to be seen.

There are a few stands on the ground floor. If there is a long line at one, move on to the next. It is not clearly visible from the lobby that there's more than one. Often one has a long line and the one just down a little has only a few people in line.

At first they were using a one lane loading system. Now I noticed they are using two or three lanes, so the line moves faster.

I notice you called it the "New Airport". Suvarnabhumi is a mouth full. I also notice that the foreign flight crews say welcome to Bangkok International Airport and don't attempt saying Suvarnabhumi.

For official taxi stand just follow the signs. It’s easy. Do not follow touts!
Another option is going directly to departure level and catch any taxi which is discharging passenger’s, that’s even easier and faster.

Suvarnabhumi is the official Thai name for new airport given by the king and means literarily “Golden Land”.

The correct official international name for Suvarnabhumi Airport is “Bangkok International Airport”. International crews will refer to the official name in order to avoind any missunderstandings.

The old Bangkok Airport is officially called "Don Mueang International Airport".

TrongpaiExpat
July 25th, 2007, 15:30
Up on departures t level the traffic guards move the taxis pretty quick. The drivers try to linger to pick up passengers but get waved on right after the passengers get out. You can still catch one but you have to be fast.

Some do this trick trying to avoid the 50B surcharge but that does not stop the driver from imposing his own 50B surcharge or not turning on the meter. You safer downstairs in my opinion.

July 25th, 2007, 15:41
Up on departures t level the traffic guards move the taxis pretty quick. The drivers try to linger to pick up passengers but get waved on right after the passengers get out. You can still catch one but you have to be fast.

Some do this trick trying to avoid the 50B surcharge but that does not stop the driver from imposing his own 50B surcharge or not turning on the meter. You safer downstairs in my opinion.

From the beginning I used the departure level for taxi without any problems. For Bangkok I use meter, for other destinations I know the price and never ever had any problems. Drivers where happy to get a new passenegr quickly.

But you are right. Especially if someone is new to the routine, it's better to proceed to the Taxi stand and gather further information including a written quotation with further details.

donald1
July 25th, 2007, 15:43
Thanks guys, appreciate the assistance.

yaraboy
July 25th, 2007, 21:36
Does the 50 baht extra still apply from Arrivals taxi stand?

July 25th, 2007, 22:46
FYI - a few months back used this taxi rank service & the price to pty was 1400bt including all tolls...

for some good reason the long que's from before at the old airport are not present here anymore here, maybe becuase the taxis are not in single file line, now i think they que in 2 lines.

TrongpaiExpat
July 25th, 2007, 23:03

Yes, if you mean the arrivals floor (ground floor) where you arrived. No, if your going to the airport in a taxi to the departures floor but some drivers when the new airport opened tried to say it did.

July 25th, 2007, 23:46

Yes, if you mean the arrivals floor (ground floor) where you arrived. No, if your going to the airport in a taxi to the departures floor but some drivers when the new airport opened tried to say it did.

Actually, the public taxi queue is one floor BELOW the arrivals level.

July 26th, 2007, 03:10
FYI - a few months back used this taxi rank service & the price to pty was 1400bt including all tolls...

for some good reason the long que's from before at the old airport are not present here anymore here, maybe becuase the taxis are not in single file line, now i think they que in 2 lines.

Yes, that's the avarage price, including the 50 TBT airport charge and all tallway fees.