PDA

View Full Version : silly question 3 from flip

July 24th, 2007, 05:50
hi again all, I intend to do some sightseeingas well as the 'sex tour', and I beleive its useful to get yourself a 'guide' for either,
a) would you agree or disagree
b) if so where or how the hell do you go about sortin that out
I intend (time permitting)visiting river kwai,tiger temple,killing fields, the how the hell i'm goin to get there i'll sort out in country i think...over a beer with one or more of you guys..if thats ok
Flip

July 24th, 2007, 07:49
hi again all, I intend to do some sightseeingas well as the 'sex tour', and I beleive its useful to get yourself a 'guide' for either,
I intend (time permitting)visiting river kwai,tiger temple,killing fields, the how the hell i'm goin to get there i'll sort out in country i think...over a beer with one or more of you guys..if thats ok
Flip

Hi again Flip, with regard to question A and taking someone along with you from Pattaya on the trips you intend to make, I don't think it is a case of whether or not anyone agrees it is a good idea or not. In the end, it all comes down to ones own personal choice and what we require as an individual. I am sure that you you will get members here both agreeing and disagreeing with you, as to whether or not they believe it a good idea to take a boy/guide along with you. I would wait until you get here if I were you and test the water out for yourself, by discovering first of all, whether any boy that you meet is one that you would like to accompany you on these planned excursions of yours.

As far as question B goes, if you find a boy whom you believe you will feel comfortable with over the length of your trip, without wishing to sound cynical, as I am not being and only stating a fact, providing you can come to an agreement on the fee you will pay him, bearing in mind that if he is a bar boy he is not going to be getting any income other than what he receives from you, there is usually no problem whatsoever in getting him to go along. However, that said, unless you strike gold, don't expect the boy to be anywhere near as interested in the places you are going to visit as you are, as in the majority of cases they never are.

As far as having a chat about these things over a few beers with those that are up for it and have some experience in these matters, I think that is an excellent idea. Give me a shout nearer to the time you are going to be here, as I would certainly not be adverse to having a beer or two with you. You will also be pleased to learn I am sure, that unlike some I can name, I am one that always stands his shout. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/beerchug.gif

One last bit of advice, don't go meeting up with Dodger and if you do, don't listen to a thing he says. If you do, you will probably end up missing your flight home, on the account that you are somewhere up jungle with a boy geting yourself bethrothed. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/biglaugh.gif

All joking aside, if you find yourself with some time on your hands, you should give some of Dodgers field trip posts a read. They are excellent posts and make very enjoyable reading. They will also open your eyes I am sure on the subject of trips.

I hope that some of the things I have said above have helped you in some way to gaining a little more knowledge than you had previously and, I am sure that others will add a lot more to what I have said.

Choc Dee Flip,

G.

Thai_Faen-old
July 24th, 2007, 08:27
Flip if you don't find someone that you feel comfortable with to go on what tours with you, then you could go into any number of tour guide shops in Pattaya and book a trip and they probably supply a tour guide for the whole group taking the trip. As George said just wait until you get to Pattaya and then see how the ground lies and get the feel for the place and those that you meet and take it from there, I think if you try and plan too much in advance it will probably go tits up.

Thai_Faen :bounce:

July 24th, 2007, 08:59
Flip,
Can't quite work out what your itinerary is.
The "Killing Fields" are in Cambodia near Phnom Penh.
River Kwai is way to the west of Bangkok near Burma, quite far from Pattaya. Neither could be considered "day trips" from Pattaya.

I would recommend Purple Dragon for some of your tours. Though they don't do "sex tours" they do at least have gay guides so it makes everything a bit more comfortable. If you check their website they list many of the "side trip" day tours they do. http://www.purpledrag.com

Lunchtime O'Booze
July 24th, 2007, 11:16
"personal assistant" - you will find no shortage of willing candidates. As the others say-obviously anticipating my good advice-as long as you get on with the person you will be fine and it's so much more fun having a local along and to see it through his eyes. I would recommend two "guides" as they keep each other happy chatting away in their own language and enjoying each other's company while you can relax.

As for "sex tour" and a "sightseeing tour"-I've always found the 2 are perfectly compatible and indeed-usually one and the same thing. In fact, one should always combine the 2 at all times and especially, while you can-for you tend to find sadly with age, that the first becomes more desirable but less achievable and the later, far duller without the first.

Just ask boygeenyus.

July 24th, 2007, 12:22
Flip,
Can't quite work out what your itinerary is.
The "Killing Fields" are in Cambodia near Phnom Penh.
River Kwai is way to the west of Bangkok near Burma, quite far from Pattaya. Neither could be considered "day trips" from Pattaya.

Flip never mentioned day trips. What he wrote was:

I intend to do some sightseeingas well as the 'sex tour', and I beleive its useful to get yourself a 'guide' for either,

Dboy
July 25th, 2007, 03:37
You might get more out of the River Kwai trip if you bring a new friend along with you. The main sites there are the bridge itself, potentially a boat ride (depending on which tour you do) and a military memorial site. If you're a big movie buff and have to see the area due to the film or something, fine, else it's really not the most exciting trip in the world. Which is why I recommend taking a new friend along for added entertainment. I think this would be a fine trip with the right guy.

Not sure what a "sex tour" is, but you don't need a guide to find sex in either Pattaya or Bangkok. All you really need is a map and a penis.

A day-long sightseeing trip in Bangkok is possibly a good idea if you don't know the city very well. Although you're trapped into someone else's schedule, you can see alot in one day with one of these trips. I'm not really a fan of group tours, but sometimes it can be a good option, especially if your time is limited.

Dboy

July 25th, 2007, 04:02
I guess how much you will get to see depends for how long you are going?
If you are interested in history (River Kwai and killing fields?), I would suggest an alternative.
As mentioned above, the killing fields are near Phnom Penh in Cambodia. After you've had your fill of BKK and Pattaya, you could take a low cost flight from BKK by www.airasia.com (http://www.airasia.com) to Phnom Penh, see the city, Tuol Sleng museum ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuol_Sleng_Genocide_Museum ) and the killing fields etc. then take an internal flight (again quite cheap) upto Siem Reap also in Cambodia and see the temples of Angkor ( http://www.canbypublications.com/siemre ... angwat.htm (http://www.canbypublications.com/siemreap/temples/temp-angwat.htm) ).
Now that (IMO) would be a much more fascinating adventure - a thousand times more to see than at Kwai.
You can meet local guys in Phnom Penh and Siem Reap too. Not as prevalent as in Thailand, but available nonetheless.
Just another idea to throw into the pot :cheers:

July 25th, 2007, 14:17
excellent replies everyone, many thnx, main problem (although a really nice problem) is that it throws more things into the pot, thnx again chaps...Flip

TrongpaiExpat
July 25th, 2007, 15:14
If your interested in the real history of the death railroad in Kanchanaburi then the only decent site is the museum at hellfire pass. The Thai tourist sights with the exceptions of the cemetery are just strange. Some survivors with foreign funding built the museum at Hellfire Pass. The tour buses mostly ignore it.

There was a series on the death RR on the History channel called Hollywood vs. History. The movie 'Over the river Kwai' is not an accurate portrayal of the actual events.

July 25th, 2007, 15:56
If your interested in the real history of the death railroad in Kanchanaburi then the only decent site is the museum at hellfire pass. The Thai tourist sights with the exceptions of the cemetery are just strange. Some survivors with foreign funding built the museum at Hellfire Pass. The tour buses mostly ignore it.

There was a series on the death RR on the History channel called Hollywood vs. History. The movie 'Over the river Kwai' is not an accurate portrayal of the actual events.

The whole plot isn’t near the truth but an excellent tourist trap.

The „River Kwai“ movies have been shoot in Sri Lanka.

July 25th, 2007, 16:12
The тАЮRiver KwaiтАЬ movies have been shoot in Sri Lanka.

Was there more than one?

Thai_Faen-old
July 25th, 2007, 17:55
Throwing my two pennyworth in....

If you ask anyone what movies they have seen that first introduced them to Thailand then they might answer The King and I or maybe The Bridge on the River Kwai. However, both of these movies are works of fiction and do a bad job of painting an accurate picture of the true Thailand.

Anna Leonowens claimed to be the governess to the children of King Rama IV and by her own account said that she played an important part in the affairs of state. In reality she was employed as a school teacher to the Royal children and rarely had an audience with the King, let alone danced with him!

The bridge over the River Kwai was not blown up by commandos but rather by Lancaster bombers and anyway, it should really be called The Bridge on the Mae Klong!

The King and I was shot in Hollywood and The Bridge on the River Kwai was shot in Sri Lanka. During 1998, 20th Century Fox applied for permission to shoot a re-make of The King and I in Thailand called Anna and the King starring Jodie Foster and Chow Yun Fat. However, despite many script re-writes, permission for the filming was not given on the grounds that the script contained historical and cultural distortions. Filming went ahead in Malaysia. The 1956 musical, The King and I, is banned in Thailand and it looks like the latest version, Anna and the King, will be banned too when it is released towards the end of 1999.

One movie about Thailand that did get the go-ahead during 1998-99 to film here was the Leonardo DiCaprio movie The Beach. This gained world-wide publicity due to the environmental protests. The film-makers were accused of damaging a national park on Phi Phi island. However, no-one seemed to care that the movie actually paints a rather negative view of Thailand with its marijuana fields and drug lords. But at least the beautiful scenery gets a front seat with Phi Phi Le island doubling as "paradise".

July 25th, 2007, 18:02

If you ask anyone what movies they have seen that first introduced them to Thailand then they might answer The King and I or maybe The Bridge on the River Kwai.

Depends on the age of the person you're asking. If over 50, yes, perhaps Bridge On the River Kwai. If younger, however, they're more likely to answer "The Beach". And young people are more likely to be familiar with the Jody Foster film version of "The King and I" rather than the Yul Brynner one.

July 25th, 2007, 18:15
hi all, the main reason for visting the river kwai is actually the cemetries, a number of troops from my old regt are buried there so i'd like to lay poppy cross or sumthing
flip

July 25th, 2007, 18:17
My God...how old ARE you???

Lunchtime O'Booze
July 25th, 2007, 19:30
having seen you dear I should think papa was angry most of the time.

who wouldn't be when they know they had fathered Rosemary's Baby !! :tard:

Thai_Faen-old
July 25th, 2007, 19:48

If you ask anyone what movies they have seen that first introduced them to Thailand then they might answer The King and I or maybe The Bridge on the River Kwai.

Depends on the age of the person you're asking. If over 50, yes, perhaps Bridge On the River Kwai. If younger, however, they're more likely to answer "The Beach". And young people are more likely to be familiar with the Jody Foster film version of "The King and I" rather than the Yul Brynner one.

I can see where you coming from with the age thing boygeenyus, but I am under 50 and know all three.

Thai_Faen-old
July 25th, 2007, 19:58
I think the Japanese at that time were much crueler than the Germans in the things they done and they should of apologised.
I hope you have a safe trip Flip,funny name,my dad used to call me that sometimes when he was angry.

Wx40afp perhaps his name is short for Flipin heck.

Flip I take it your from Carlisle (state the obvious why don't I), I have been there a few times, but lets not go into my sexual encounters in Carlisle.

Lovely weather we're having.

Wesley
July 25th, 2007, 21:53

I have seen them all and nothing in any way was like the real Thailand. The beach was good and the photography better of course

July 26th, 2007, 01:29
well, I'm 50 this year, i wasnt there with my regt too young, it is however where some of the regt's former troops were captured and killed, its just a regimental thing for ex squadies, paying respects to former members etc, my name derives from my sexuality ie I 'flip' both ways if you get my drift, and Carlisle is still miserable weather wise (as is most of the UK)
Flip

Thai_Faen-old
July 26th, 2007, 05:55
well, I'm 50 this year, i wasnt there with my regt too young, it is however where some of the regt's former troops were captured and killed, its just a regimental thing for ex squadies, paying respects to former members etc, my name derives from my sexuality ie I 'flip' both ways if you get my drift, and Carlisle is still miserable weather wise (as is most of the UK)
Flip

I get your drift flip, and I have spent some nice nights in Carlisle... I wonder whatever happened to him :naka:

July 26th, 2007, 06:20
Flipcarlisle, I too am ex British army and visited the cemetery on the River Kwai about 15 years ago. I remember standing in this vast (and I mean vast) cemetery, reading the names and ages of the dead, and how sad I felt that the majority had died, not through battle wounds, but the inhumane treatment dished out by their Japanese captors. See it once and you will remember it for ever.

TrongpaiExpat
July 26th, 2007, 14:34

If you ask anyone what movies they have seen that first introduced them to Thailand then they might answer The King and I or maybe The Bridge on the River Kwai. However, both of these movies are works of fiction and do a bad job of painting an accurate picture of the true Thailand.

Anna Leonowens claimed to be the governess to the children of King Rama IV and by her own account said that she played an important part in the affairs of state. In reality she was employed as a school teacher to the Royal children and rarely had an audience with the King, let alone danced with him!

The bridge over the River Kwai was not blown up by commandos but rather by Lancaster bombers and anyway, it should really be called The Bridge on the Mae Klong!

The King and I was shot in Hollywood and The Bridge on the River Kwai was shot in Sri Lanka. During 1998, 20th Century Fox applied for permission to shoot a re-make of The King and I in Thailand called Anna and the King starring Jodie Foster and Chow Yun Fat. However, despite many script re-writes, permission for the filming was not given on the grounds that the script contained historical and cultural distortions. Filming went ahead in Malaysia. The 1956 musical, The King and I, is banned in Thailand and it looks like the latest version, Anna and the King, will be banned too when it is released towards the end of 1999.

One movie about Thailand that did get the go-ahead during 1998-99 to film here was the Leonardo DiCaprio movie The Beach. This gained world-wide publicity due to the environmental protests. The film-makers were accused of damaging a national park on Phi Phi island. However, no-one seemed to care that the movie actually paints a rather negative view of Thailand with its marijuana fields and drug lords. But at least the beautiful scenery gets a front seat with Phi Phi Le island doubling as "paradise".

You two pennyworth along with a dash of google and a little cut and paste.

Most of 'the Beach' was shot in Khao Yai.

July 26th, 2007, 14:46
I don't know what part of The Beach was shot in Khao Yai, but there's definitely no beach there! Various scenes were done in Phuket, Krabi, and Bangkok, that I know of.

TrongpaiExpat
July 26th, 2007, 15:54
I don't know what part of The Beach was shot in Khao Yai, but there's definitely no beach there! Various scenes were done in Phuket, Krabi, and Bangkok, that I know of.

Gilligan's Island was was shot on the back lot of CBS. The lagoon was a small pond.

The waterfall shots, close up dialog between actors and most of the jungle action shots. I was told Leo had to spend more time in Khao Yai than Phuket and Pi Pi. The background and long shots were from south Thailand locations most of which did not require actors.

What I was told anyway, but who cares, the move was so bad.

Speaking of movies, Off Topic I know, but anyone been to the Bangkok International Film Festival? I went to the movie XXY and met the director in a Q and A session, great movie and interesting to hear how it was made.

July 26th, 2007, 16:40
Most of 'the Beach' was shot in Khao Yai.

Completely untrue. The waterfall jump at Heo Suwat waterfall, was the only scene in the movie that was shot in Khao Yai national park. Neither as BG says, were any shots done in Bangkok. There were only three other actual locations used for the movie apart from Khao Yai, which were:

1. Phi Phi Island. On the western part of Phi Phi Leh is Maya Bay, a white, sandy beach dominated by a high cliff. This was the main location they used for the film, although two other islands: Bamboo Island and Mosquito Island were used as well.

2. Phuket. The film studios in Talang were used for interiors as well as the beach bungalows. Many other locations around the island were also used.

3. Krabi. Krabi city and province doubled for Khao San Road and the marijuana field. In Krabi city they built a large reclining Buddha which can still be seen there now.

Hope those facts set the record straight.

G.

July 26th, 2007, 16:53
The waterfall shots, close up dialog between actors and most of the jungle action shots. I was told Leo had to spend more time in Khao Yai than Phuket and Pi Pi. The background and long shots were from south Thailand locations most of which did not require actors.

Sorry to have to contradict you again TE, but you were obviously told wrong. Only a total of four days were spent shooting in Khao Yai.

G.

July 26th, 2007, 19:51
The тАЮRiver KwaiтАЬ movies have been shoot in Sri Lanka.

Was there more than one?

Wasn't "Return to the River Kwai" (not very good and much later) shot in the Philipines.

Thai_Faen-old
July 27th, 2007, 14:00
Sorry to have to contradict you again TE, but you were obviously told wrong. Only a total of four days were spent shooting in Khao Yai.

Well who really cares George,do you want fight him over it,do you want to get the pool sticks out and have a flamin brawl,maybe we could have a Royal Commission into it?
Bloody hell you blokes nit pick each other over the smallest thing.

I hope your careful where you put the pool stick though.

Marsilius
July 27th, 2007, 15:07
The second film was not "Return TO the River Kwai" but "Return FROM the River Kwai". It was made in 1989.

Here is a synopsis I found on the internet:

"A group of war prisoners has spilt blood, sweat and tears to construct a bridge over the river Kwai in Thailand. Just when the bridge is ready, an American bomber arrives and destroys it. Camp commander Tanaka wants to set an example and orders that some of the prisoners must be executed. Just in time major Harada arrives with orders that the healthiest prisoners must be transported to Japan by train and boat. A treacherous journey since the allied forces keep a close eye on railroads and practically own the seas. The prisoners are thinking of plans to escape. Meanwhile the American bomber has been shot down and it's pilot, Leyland Crawford, is being rescued by the indigenous people, the Meo. The Meo have formed a resistance group against the Japanese, led by the British colonel Grayson."

One of the actors was the late Denholm Elliott who would, I think, have greatly enjoyed this board. Certainly, I once saw him dressed to the hilt in leather and accompanied by a willowly young Asian boy at the gay "Black Cap" pub in Camden Town, London.

Lunchtime O'Booze
July 27th, 2007, 15:23
a book called "A Doctor's War" by Rowley Richards...a young doctor who was a WW2 POW and worked on the Thai/Burma railway..absolutely fascinating stuff.

July 29th, 2007, 12:48
Email from friend

Just turned on TV to watch sunday football on our free to air channel, and the movie on before it

Bridge over the River Kwai

Couldnt remember how it ended . Disappointing, wished I hadnt watched it

July 29th, 2007, 13:42
BBC did a "Mystery" about a man who went bonkers after seeing Bridge on the River Kwai and stabbed several people during a period of heavy fog--When the movie first played in London.
I wondered if there were any truth to it. Suppose, not much--Except, maybe, the fog.

Back to the subject of the thread:
IMHO, it's a dull place to go--Best thing about it was (getting back to) the hotel.