PDA

View Full Version : Kunming, China - Anyone been there?

Bob
July 23rd, 2007, 03:12
In October, I'm planning a few-day trip from Chiangmai to Kunming, China. Anyone posting here ever been there? Just wondering if anyone has any tips regarding hotels, things to see and do, etc.

July 23rd, 2007, 10:39
In October, I'm planning a few-day trip from Chiangmai to Kunming, China. Anyone posting here ever been there? Just wondering if anyone has any tips regarding hotels, things to see and do, etc.

Was there last year, en route to Lijiang. Kunming is a typical huge Chinese city, not all that much to see or do except wander around. Stayed at the Green Lake Hotel, which is five star and well-situated. There's a very good Chinese restaurant in a classical Chinese building along the lakefront, not far from the Green Lake Hotel (turn left as you come out of the hotel). Can't remember its name at the moment. Did not notice or discover any gay life there, but it's got to be out there somewhere.

yaraboy
July 23rd, 2007, 11:26
LIjiang..........Is it worth a visit?,,,I have an opportunity to go on a short trek there in late Nov...the altitude does not bother me but what about the cold?

July 23rd, 2007, 21:33
I was there in October and it was beautiful. No idea what it is like in November.

Is it worth a visit? Well, I wouldn't go again. It is completely swarming with Chinese tourists. Whatever authenticity might once have been in the place is long gone now.

The only highlight for me was receiving (and accepting) an invitation from a taxi driver to have a home-cooked lunch at his house in the countryside. That was definitely the real deal.

Bob
July 24th, 2007, 03:57
Thanks for the info. I'm still going as it's an easy jaunt via Thai Air (direct) from Chiangmai.
Typically, we go on side trips of 3-4 days to whereever (Singapore, Kuala Lampur, Luang Prabang)
and it's time for China. I'm aware that you need a Visa before going there and have that all
worked out.
By checking out the net, I somewhat narrowed the choices to Harbor Plaza Hotel and the Green
Lake Hotel you mention, BG. Both places seem to be a bit upscale and well situated in Kunming.
Given I'm going with my bf, it's doubtful that I'll be finding out about any gay activity there but
one never knows...