Friday 20th July
Special Cabaret Show 10pm
Free welcome drink with this flyer
150 baht buffet from 8pm
Prize Raffle\
A caharity fund raising event for the Camillan Childern's Centre

Dodger
July 20th, 2007, 16:43
I'm glad to see Memories re-opening, although not quite sure where the caberet is going to be held...unless the place has expanded.

July 21st, 2007, 01:25
Now just what we need another noise bar. What happen to the former owners. They were always great to sit and talk too. Even more important where will this forum now have in annual party. That was always a great function to attend. Will miss the old place and miss meeting new friends there. Will have to find a new place in October when I arrive for my annual visit

July 21st, 2007, 07:00
Yes, seabee, I totally agree with you. The things that made Memories so successful were the great boys Oud hired, Oud's personality, and the friendly feeling that Jack and Ralph brought to the bar. It was a place for good conversation, meeting new/old friends and enjoying the great boys that worked there. A cabaret and the attending noise (even for one night) will send me running. Most of the guys that come to Thailand are there to enjoy good company and meet great boys, not to attend another poorly done show...or even a well done show. The last time I was in Sunee Memories was closed and I started stopping in at the "Come In Bar" and the "Corner Bar"; I really enjoyed my time in both of those bars. I do hope that the new owner of Memories will continue the most successful business model that Oud had in place. I understand that any new owner will want to put his mark on the bar, but...be careful..."If it ain't broken don't fix it."

July 21st, 2007, 07:18
"If it ain't broken don't fix it."I remember using those self-same words to the Wright brothers at Kitty Hawk

July 21st, 2007, 11:44
There was a very good turnout for the re-opening. They now have an air con part of the bar. The seating has changed from the sofa and padded chairs to small tables and chairs. It gives a very different feel in my opinion. Not as relaxing. One of the things I hope the new owner continues is the practice that Jack, Ralph and Oud did of introducing the different guests to each other. I have met many expats there that way whom I would probably not have met if it hadn't been for this welcoming bar.

They had a special show of farang drag and a very good farang singer who walked thru the crowd. Then they put a box stage in the middle of the bar for the Thai entertainers. I did not stay for that part. Many others left at that time also.

Good luck to the new owner.

travelerjim
July 21st, 2007, 14:04
Good Luck to the new owners of Memories...

I stopped by to see the new Memories on its opening Friday night ...

The inside air conditioned area was full of Expats and their Thai friends...
and smoking was allowed inside...(sadly) in my opinion...
as there is ample area outside in front for smokers...

If management wished to have a smoking and non-smoking sections...
they could have easily made it possible :-) ...but they have not!

Met up with Oud and Ralph...such wonderful friends and greeted warmly as usual by both...
I guess Jack was at home taking care of the dog :-)

Met one of the new owners Michael --- and his partner is Jay.

Four of the prior Thai Staff have returned following the 2 month closure and reopening of the new Memories.

As stated...many chairs and small bar like tables are available inside and in front...comfortable pads in the chairs.
The music from the TV/DVD/VCD was a little too loud in the front seating area...but that can be easily toned down.

A buffet of foods were available to enjoy....not sure if they were complimentary or not
as I had read on this forum that there would be a charge of 150 baht for the buffet and a free drink ticket included - or some such thing.

I arrived at about 7:30pm and the real crowd arrived afterwards from 8:00pm on....
I ordered my usual diet coke and was given a checkbin for 50m baht.

Others as they arrived were given complimentary drink tickets and buffet ticket..
I guess they were part of a private party to celebrate the reopening of Memories...

I left the private party at about 9:30pm...as the food buffet was being served...
not having any drink or food tickets given to me ....
I did not wish to 'crash the party"...

And as I left, I wished Thai Waiter Maen (pronounced "Man") the best and
gave him my two raffle tickets for good luck....hoping he may win something.

So much for Memories...as for the Cabaret Show...did not see...but as Soi10Tom aptly put it...
if it ain't broke - why fix it!

I would not (my personal opinion) be interested in another Drag Queen Cabaret Show - especially at Memories!

My sentiments exactly - the prior Memories was successful because it cared for people..
and showed their welcoming spirit each time you entered Memories...by Oud, Ralph and Jack and all the Thai Staff :-)

Hopefully, Michael and Jay can continue this once great bar - Memories :-)
They have BIG SHOES to fill in doing so.....

Good Luck!

TravelerJim

catawampuscat
July 21st, 2007, 14:37
TJ
The flyer handed out everywhere announcing the opening offered a free drink but stated you
needed the flyer to get the free drink.
I guess you didn't have the flyer with you and they took
it literally.
Too bad about the indoor smoking and maybe someone will get the balls to put the
smokers in the outside area to spread their second hand smoke in the open air.
It is going to be different and the old Memories was getting tired. I always enjoyed Oud but he
got on some peoples nerves as he was always "on". And Jack and Ralph were sleep walking at the end.

It seemed to collect some of the odds and ends of the mostly American farangs and many regulars
were to be avoided unless you had insomnia problems.
The best case was the clueless old man who came many times a week and after many months,
whispered to one of the owners that there seemed to be some people in the bar of the other persuasion.

This old fart always brought his Thai lady and had no idea that everyone except him and his lady, was gay and
this went on for many months. It takes all kinds... Jack and Ralph could write a book.

Dodger
July 21st, 2007, 23:30
I'll be anxious to visit the new Memories, although with a little sadness in my heart and a lump in my throat.

The majic that made the old Memories what it was can't be duplicated...IMO. The personalities of Oud, Jack & Ralph are what made Memories such a wonderful place to spend time. Fortunately, we're still friends and at least that part of my Memories won't go away.

mai pen rai

July 22nd, 2007, 17:44
DELETED

July 23rd, 2007, 04:11
Good heaven, nellie old drag queens on stage, loud music and indoor smoking.....Memories is dead. Why do guys continue to open bars and put on bad shows and loud music. They go broke one right after the other. No one I know comes to Thailand to see sad old fat drag queens, listen to loud music and inhale second hand smoke. Everyone I know comes to meet cute, sweet, nice guys and to meet friends both new and old in a welcoming environment aimed at mature men.

Bar owners, open the business that your customers want, not the business that you want. Fat Nellie old drag queens, loud music and the smell of stale indoor smoke does not sound like a successful business plan.

For now it looks like the "Cornor Bar" has the business plan for success.

July 23rd, 2007, 04:18
The show I saw was a fat old farang drag queen who kept walking up and down the centre of the bar lipsync singing to old time songs.What? Is bloody Maisie Trollette still around?

Geezer
July 23rd, 2007, 07:48
Could there ever be a better argument for, тАЬIf itтАЩs not broke, donтАЩt fix it.тАЭ, than Memories Bar?

July 23rd, 2007, 08:03
Ok, ok, you guys want to run a bar in Pattaya? Go open one yourself. I suspect you nay sayers all have good intentiuons, but it is not your bar. If memories bar wants way-over-the-hill, loud entertainers, smoking in all areas, etc. etc. it is their bar and they can do what the hell they want.

Good intentioned advice is easily given but seldom taken. Just go find a bar thats more to your liking. Nuff said.

July 23rd, 2007, 09:13
DELETED

travelerjim
July 23rd, 2007, 11:32
Fair enough JB...

I will return to Memories once again and see if the atmosphere has improved.

But, may I add, I do think the comments made so far by many of the former Memories fans,
point to the fact that Memories has changed...and from first glance - the changes may have not have been for the better.

Only time will tell...and I do wish the new owners good luck
and as much success as the former Memories enjoyed...

For Memories of past was a truly successful cafe and club - accomodating many residents and visitors alike,
and making everyone feel welcomed and special during their visits to Memories.

TravelerJim

TrongpaiExpat
July 23rd, 2007, 14:09
So many changes, maybe the name should have changed too.

What the old Memories had was the Cheers factor Someplace where everyone knows your name.

"Making your way in the world today takes everything you've got.
Taking a break from all your worries, sure would help a lot.

Wouldn't you like to get away?

Sometimes you want to go

Where everybody knows your name,
and they're always glad you came.
You wanna be where you can see,
our troubles are all the same
You wanna be where everybody knows
Your name.

You wanna go where people know,
people are all the same,
You wanna go where everybody knows
your name. "
Cheers (http://www.lyricsondemand.com/tvthemes/cheerslyrics.html)

Good night Norm.

July 25th, 2007, 10:54
I have just viewed the newest Pattayagay Weekly report. The pictures from Memories grand reopening were even more horrifying than the written descriptions I read in this Post. What were they thinking??????

July 25th, 2007, 11:41
DELETED

July 25th, 2007, 12:59
Craig, you should sue John under the Thai Lese Majesty laws....you have been defamed!!!!!!!!! Red is not your color.

July 25th, 2007, 17:31
DELETED

Wesley
July 25th, 2007, 23:12
"If it ain't broken don't fix it."I remember using those self-same words to the Wright brothers at Kitty Hawk
It is a dame good thing they looked at your avatar and continued to fix the damn thing before they flew it. Its a lovely place... you should go there sometime when in the states... much more interesting than the bridge at the river what was that... oh Kwai however, I am at a disadvantage I only saw the movie. Watched the beach three times. Wonder why...

July 26th, 2007, 10:19
"Hahaha! Well you were warned. What about the red haired beauty? Actually I think that is my friend Craig aka Pattaya Male". ....John Botting

Ms. Botting,
There you go again....

As Soi 10 Tom said RED is not my color. My hair that night was pink..very wonderful shade. And yes I saw you with Phil of Spice. You were standing at the free buffet table eating plate after plate of the wonderful food provided by "Papa David" (no tables in that area) Phil from Spice was so embarrassed when he came to our table (best location): he told us he was trying to "ditch" you when he came over to talk as he brought me a wonderful "Spice" shirt. He is such a gentleman. He said you donated nothing but was eating all the food and growling like a street dog if anyone else dare approach.

Free drink, wonderful buffet.....did you buy any raffle tickets to support their charity...thought not :) just complained about the entertainment, eh?

PS. I did enjoy it when you split your knickers.First time I saw brass balls!

Hope you are a good sport John...all in jest......LOL :)

July 26th, 2007, 14:39
DELETED