PDA

View Full Version : Dicks Cafe Jomtien Warning

July 19th, 2007, 23:12
There is a waiter there with a serious attitude.
Also a bit of a thief.
Be sure to actually look at your written tabs, if you get my drift.

Dick
July 20th, 2007, 01:15
I am sure a number of fellows on the Board would agree with what I am about to say.
The management of Dicks ~ Jomtien and Bangkok, and the Tarntawan would be horrified to think that customers had legitimate complaints about the integrity of their staff. Most of their staff I have encountered are 'diamonds'. The management of Dicks are heavily involved in all things 'gay' in Thailand and provide tremendous support to the gay community. I am sure they would take any action necessary very swiftly. I've never heard of speak of any such accusations previously; such behaviour isn't something that Dicks would tolerate as it might ruin all the years of hard work to build up their enviable reputation.

I would suggest Raksiam that you make your complaint known to the management. If you don't know who to talk to, then I suggest you email tarntawan@tarntawan.com and mark it up for the attention of Mr. Lukas. I am sure you will receive a prompt reply. Many readers would put their management on 'our team'.

July 20th, 2007, 01:24
Fair enough.

I do not wish to get him fired. I am sure that will happen in good time.

I know lots of people here go there, and just a heads up. I really think it is one bad apple, and I agree, usually the service at Dicks is quite good.

BTW, I am not a regular there, so maybe this is something this guy trys on what he thinks are tourists.

Jetsam
July 20th, 2007, 02:49
Lol, Dick is defending Dick's

July 20th, 2007, 03:33
Also a bit of a thief.

Maybe there is some misunderstanding going on. I don't know and I won’t judge.

But please write immediately your complaint or what it is to
Mr. LUCAS at tarntawan@tarntawan.com
as soon as possible please. Lucas is managing the caf├й’s and at least once a week in Pattaya, It’s easy to meet him. He will listing very carefully and will act somehow. Anyway, he will be very grateful for all your information.

Alternatively call him on his mobile. His phone number is available at all caf├й’s or from hotel reception in Bangkok: 02 238 2620.

If there are gay places I can trust in fully, that’s my supervisors home (ours), both Dick’s Caf├й’s and the Tarntawan Place hotel.

As long as I can remember all the staff at DicKs Cafe's, the Tarntawan Place or Sports Bar are just brilliant.

Dick
July 20th, 2007, 04:04
Hey Jetsam,

Yes I did laugh out loud! Thank you. I've lived with the 'handle' now so long, I had forgotten. It made me chukle when you pointed out the humour. I have no problems in associating my name with such outstanding venues. Long may we continue! The thing is, I have no reservations in championing my namesake. They do what they do very well, and they manage it all with integrity and panash that many enterprises aspire to.

Ratsiam, having cast the suggestion of impropriety amongst one element of staff on a public board, please do report your complaint to Mr. Lucas so this can be properly dealt with ~ for the benefit of us all too.

July 20th, 2007, 07:42
...I do not wish to get him fired. I am sure that will happen in good time....

Excuse me! A waiter "with a serious attitude" and who is "a bit of a thief" and apparenty pads the bills and you don't think he should be fired! Boy, talk about passive/aggresive.

Posting an anonymous, vague complaint on a website and warning others to "watch out" at a specific establishment is not really the proper way to air a grievance.
IF your complaint is legitimate then contact the management directly and quit pussyfooting around.[/b]

bucknaway
July 20th, 2007, 07:52
thanks for the warning.

July 20th, 2007, 09:51
I will repeat. I do not need the bad karma to get this specific waiter fired. Even if I did, I don't know his name. I am not about to go there and point him out as if at a police lineup. I just wanted to let people know to be sure to actually read their tabs and not trust the waiter, in case you get this particular gem. I am sure what this waiter tried to do was not an error and was intentional. Don't you agree if he does this to one he probably does this to many? If you are the type who actually wants to get a bad waiter fired when you catch him at his trick, how about you get him fired? Up 2 you.

I never said stop going to Dicks or that Dicks is bad. Hiring accidents happen.

If it pleases the bitchier among you, how about this warning? Never trust what a waiter tells you is the bill anywhere in Thailand. Be sure to look at the actual written tabs or bill if there is one. Are you happy now?

donald1
July 20th, 2007, 10:44
[quote how about this warning? Never trust what a waiter tells you is the bill anywhere in Thailand. Be sure to look at the actual written tabs or bill if there is one. [/quote]

That was one of the first things I was told 10 years ago when I checked into the Cafe Royal for my "virgin visit", and has proven oh so valuable the subsequent 15 visits. Saved myself over bt$800 on 4 occasions since, on dining,beach chair vendors and hotel bills. Not just in Thailand, everywhere I travel, it just makes sense (cents).

With that said: Dicks is impeccable as a dining establishment (and I am a fellow restaurateur) BUT..... I still check the bill.

July 20th, 2007, 10:49
I will repeat. I do not need the bad karma to get this specific waiter fired. What a load of crap - "bad karma"! :withstupid:

Posters can relax, since Tarntawan/Dick's is associated with Utopia, and while there is a poster of that name I understand that like many gay businesses in Thailand, the owners read postings here regularly

Wesley
July 20th, 2007, 11:23
I took a guy out when I gt the bill it was over one hundred dollars he had ordered 10 packs of cigarettes to resale later every time I en to the bathroom he would order again and out t on my tab, not everyone is honest, it s just the way things are.

Wesley

July 20th, 2007, 14:32
Whats with the missing letters and extra letters in your last post? I would hate to think your getting into the 'sauce' a bit too much lately. take care

July 20th, 2007, 15:46
Also a bit of a thief.

Dear Raksiam,

I am not specifically having a go, however,

There is no such thing as a "bit of a thief", you are or you aren't.

The Karma argument does not hold any water in my book.

As another poster has pointed out, Lukas, who is very much hands on and hard working would deal with any legitimate complaint very quickly indeed.

I,also, am guilty of not checking my bills regularly.

Fortunately, I am usually in company with Lads with a bit of savvy that do that for me.

It was very recently,I was drinking alone early evening, an error was made by myself.

David from Oscars contacted me by e mail as I had picked up the wrong tab and paid another customers bill.

The customer pointed it out to David after I had left, who then contacted me and returned the money.

July 20th, 2007, 15:49
If he's a thief he needs to be put in jail, karma or no karma. How do people become such pussies?

bobby-old
July 20th, 2007, 17:19
Wonder why the owner / manager doesn't respond to the complaint. Doesn't he read this forum? If I where the manager/owner at least I would say Thank you for bringing this to my attention, I will look into it, every respond from my guests are highly appreciated.

bucknaway
July 20th, 2007, 17:51
Sorry guys... There has been a few times where guys who are working in bars, stores, restaurants have lied to me or tried to cheat me. I may come on here and tell you guys but it is not my job or duty to go to the owner and "Talk about it".

It is not my job.... And this poster is not "REQUIRED" to go to Dicks Management and report to them about their employees.

An example of that was when I was complaining about a staff member at Krazy Dragon. I posted it here and the next day when I went, the problem was taken care of. I now know the owner reads here.... but I would have NEVER gone to him to complain.

July 20th, 2007, 18:53
[quote how about this warning? Never trust what a waiter tells you is the bill anywhere in Thailand. Be sure to look at the actual written tabs or bill if there is one.

That was one of the first things I was told 10 years ago when I checked into the Cafe Royal for my "virgin visit", and has proven oh so valuable the subsequent 15 visits. Saved myself over bt$800 on 4 occasions since, on dining,beach chair vendors and hotel bills. Not just in Thailand, everywhere I travel, it just makes sense (cents).

With that said: Dicks is impeccable as a dining establishment (and I am a fellow restaurateur) BUT..... I still check the bill.[/quote]

umm, let me see - you saved yourself over 800 baht on 4 occasions - right?
that calculates as 200 baht on each occasion

200 baht = US$6.70

Fuck me, what a cheap and miserable bastard u are
You have been to Thailand 16 times in 10 years, so you cant exactly be short of a dollar...

As for those like bucknaway who say they would never complain but still bitch about getting ripped off I say stop throwing your hands in the air like a prissy drama queen and just get over it

bigben
July 20th, 2007, 19:50
First of all I want to thank the poster who brought this to the publics attention.

Second, I think a few of us here wear our rose colored glasses to much.

Thirdly Dick's (both locations) are close to most of our hearts because the food is good, the staff are competent and friendly.

Anyone who suggests that the OP should confront the problem by personally contacting the management is nuts. Only someone who doesn't live here would suggest that option. This isn't Farangland, it is Thailand.

This may come as a shock to some of you rose colored wearers but Yaa Baa is very popular in the P4P and other working environments in this country. That doesn't justify a thief's actions but it does suggest the owners should pay more attention to their respective staff. Drugs tests are cheap.

For the poster who suggests that 200 baht is nothing and to get over it I ask you this question.

How about 1000 baht. is that OK with you and just get over it?

How about 10,000 baht. Is that OK with you and just get over it?

How about 50,000 baht, Is that OK with you and just get over it?

At what point is stealing OK with you? Tell me please what amount is OK and what amount is not OK? I really would like to know where you draw the line.

The point is ever so clear.....a thief is a thief. It isn't the amount that annoys us so much as it is the fact that he is apparently stealing from customers.

I am sure someone will bring this post to the attention of Mr. Lucas in due time. Sooner the better.

In the mean time gentlemen, take a moment and check your bill.

globalwanderer
July 20th, 2007, 19:58
Why wouldn't someone contact the management of a good well run establishment if the staff are stealing? even in Thailand

bigben
July 20th, 2007, 20:12
It is hard for me to explain why one wouldn't directly complain to the staff/management of a problem.

The term BURNING BRIDGES comes to mind.

and being a FARANG IN THAILAND comes to mind.

In Farangland you would be nuts not to complain or slap some sense into the silly thief but here if you make a problem for a Thai it could make things quite challenging for you in the future.

I hope someone else can better explain this to you.

July 21st, 2007, 00:15
If he's afraid of "burning bridges", why not just send the information anonymously -- with enough details to identify the perpetrator?

July 21st, 2007, 00:24
If he's a thief he needs to be put in jail, karma or no karma. How do people become such pussies?

By licking their own self-righteous asses often enough.

globalwanderer
July 21st, 2007, 01:43
It is hard for me to explain why one wouldn't directly complain to the staff/management of a problem.

The term BURNING BRIDGES comes to mind.

and being a FARANG IN THAILAND comes to mind.

In Farangland you would be nuts not to complain or slap some sense into the silly thief but here if you make a problem for a Thai it could make things quite challenging for you in the future.

I hope someone else can better explain this to you.

I happen to live in thailand and with somewhere like Dicks with good management I would have no hesitation in mentioning the problem to them. If you are not comfortable then as has been said there are anonymous ways.

July 21st, 2007, 03:20
I always check my bin and make a rough addition. It seems the mistaken charge was within the bill and it was just that, a mistake. I assume you, like I, would have just brought it to the waiter's attention and have it corrected. As any charge written on a bill would go into the accounting it is a sure bet only the restaurant would have accidently profitted. But the matter should have best been brought to the manager's attention, a little face-to-face communication, to help him sort out how it happened and not let it happen again.

One scam you do have to watch out for when you are at a club with a few friends and all your bills are being collected into one cup. If the staff got nicked by persons who forgot to pay or left without paying their bill they might try to stuff the unpaid bill into your cup hoping you won't notice. This is because everything are auditted so well and missing payments will be taken out of all waiter salaries for that night. This happens a lot when entertaining groups of visiting business visitors at straight bars. It happened to me once at Barbiery club (10 yrs ago?) for which I did complain to the manager.

I don't think "stuffing the cup" happens much at Silom/Suriwong bars. I have often stumbled home, forgetting my bill, only to be presented with the bill my next visit, meaning the respective managers know of the problem and are willing to absorb the loss rather than pressure the staff into pissing off customers.

July 21st, 2007, 05:28
It is hard for me to explain why one wouldn't directly complain to the staff/management of a problemAnd since the owner is himself a Westerner ... ?

bucknaway
July 21st, 2007, 05:52
If the original poster put up the same post regarding the German eatery, no one would demand that he consult the owner. Only because Dick posts here do you guys demand this of him.

Dick can send him a private message if he likes but I suspect a warning was given and now the Original Poster is done with it....

July 21st, 2007, 14:57
No, a customer is not REQUIRED to report such an incident to the management however... it would be the LOGIC and DECENT thing to do before airing an accusation of theft on a public board which effectively amounts to one half of the story. Generally one first complains to the establishment itself and then goes "public" if the complaint has not been handled properly or if the situation has not been corrected.

By warning customers and potential customers you are merely punishing the business rather than the offending staff member.

July 21st, 2007, 15:44
I will repeat. I do not need the bad karma to get this specific waiter fired. Even if I did, I don't know his name. I am not about to go there and point him out as if at a police lineup. I just wanted to let people know to be sure to actually read their tabs and not trust the waiter, in case you get this particular gem. I am sure what this waiter tried to do was not an error and was intentional. Don't you agree if he does this to one he probably does this to many? If you are the type who actually wants to get a bad waiter fired when you catch him at his trick, how about you get him fired? Up 2 you.

I never said stop going to Dicks or that Dicks is bad. Hiring accidents happen.

If it pleases the bitchier among you, how about this warning? Never trust what a waiter tells you is the bill anywhere in Thailand. Be sure to look at the actual written tabs or bill if there is one. Are you happy now?

Reading all this, I do have my doubts about the allegations.

It’s easy to spread dubious allegation anonymously but not being willing or able to proof facts or sort it out with the responsible people.

If you start something, is aware about the endings. ..

July 21st, 2007, 16:02
Brett1--you are absolutely correct. Very inappropriate to taint a business publicly without any evidence nor having spoken to management--if Rakisam wanted just, as he claims, to warn others then he could just have said that he recently had a bad experience at some bar/restaurant in Pattaya/jomtien and hopes everyone will take heed and pay extra attention to their checks--but to name a bar and say a waiter was a theif--he also taints, unfairly, the other waiters there who could well, now, be looked at suspiciously at thiefs. Bad Karma--what a load of garbage--he has created it already and it is on him!

July 21st, 2007, 16:36
Brett 1.

I think you have got it spot on.

I would want to know if I were running a business.

Also, to the poster who says it is not Farangland and you must be nuts etc, I don't criticize you, but think you are not looking at all sides , on this occasion.

Don't you think we. having run these establishments for many many years, both in Thailand and the UK in my case, have not got enough brains to deal with a matter like this in a capable way, leving the person, who made the allegation completely out of the equation???

I recall, some time ago, a young waiter charging a customer for a broken glass, which the customer had broken by accident. He charged the customer 200 baht and came and told me expecting gratitude, for being a good employee.

I immediately went to the customer, refunded the money and offered a drink on the House.

No theft involved.

Just a pointer, why it is vital, if you have a complaint to let the management know, so they can take appropiate action, otherwise, that customer could have left feeling ripped off and believing this was the policy of the premises!

Afterwards, I explained gently and with reasoned logic to the waiter, why we did not operate that style of policy.

July 21st, 2007, 17:06
I think its good you explained to the waiter .

No i wouldnt reccomend telling the owner at every establishment because some of them believe their own publicity,far better to take your hard earned cash somewhere else.

wx40afp,

Also, a lot of posters do not understand that a lot of these people who are "bar owners" don't come from or originate in this trade, and most certainly are not professionals in the licensed trade.

Many have moved into this business as the believe it is the quick way to wealth, which it is not.

A LOT, ARE ALSO NOT USED TO DEALING WITH THE PUBLIC!

Hence, the sillyness and stupidity in the way the deal with legitimate complaints, classing all and everyone the same.

July 21st, 2007, 19:16
I ate there almost every other day in June and saw no attitude or other problems. Maybe he was off?

July 22nd, 2007, 07:55
Why wouldn't someone contact the management of a good well run establishment if the staff are stealing? even in Thailand

The last three words of this quote really say a lot, don't they?

July 22nd, 2007, 10:55
Well we dont know the full story OOGLEMAN,because the original poster did not explain it well.
Maybe the staff member involved made a simple mistake,mistakes do happen.
Maybe he apologised,we dont know.
Theres always 2 sides of every story.

After reading this post, I thought of another possibility. "Maybe it did NOT even happen" Easy eyes to misread!

bucknaway
July 22nd, 2007, 11:57
This will make anyone think twice before they try warn us. Give us a warning and you better be prepared to FIGHT!

We don't take kindly to warnings round these parts! :drunken:

TrongpaiExpat
July 22nd, 2007, 12:23
This will make anyone think twice before they try warn us. Give us a warning and you better be prepared to FIGHT!

We don't take kindly to warnings round these parts! :drunken:

Or Proof positive. A few photos of the errant bill, one close-up and one with the waiter. It will also be necessary that the offended farang point to the kamoy waiter who has to have the obligatory hang-dog expression.

July 22nd, 2007, 12:52
You can avoid all this nastiness by following one simple rule. Don't go to Pattaya. I never have

allieb
July 22nd, 2007, 13:15
You can avoid all this nastiness by following one simple rule. Don't go to Pattaya. I never have

And stick to that rule for all of our sakes. You wouldn't be welcome there.

puckered_penguin
July 22nd, 2007, 14:39
I ate there almost every other day in June and saw no attitude or other problems. Maybe he was off?

Off stopped working there a long time ago so it could not have been he. :drunken:

July 22nd, 2007, 22:01
[quote="wx40afp"]

No quote:

Billy when you are sober your posts are well thought out and intelligent.

July 23rd, 2007, 15:49
No quote:

Billy when you are sober your posts are well thought out and intelligent.

I've mentioned this to you all this before

July 30th, 2007, 15:10
Remind me to never comment on a gay business in Pattaya again!
BTW, what happened to me was real. It happened to be at a place that clearly alot of you think can do no wrong. Sorry, that is not correct. I am not biased for or against this particular place, as clearly some of you are.

catawampuscat
July 30th, 2007, 15:13
raki,
it is time to get over the incident. It is no big deal and certainly not worthy
of pages and pages of comment. It happens all the time all over the world
and one is responsible to check their bill and be a big boy. :cat:

July 30th, 2007, 15:18
raki,
I agree entirely and I don't really care.
But I don't regret bringing it up because now I realize there are some foolish people here that trust everything about that particular business, and perhaps this bad waiter is taking advantage of that good reputation.

July 30th, 2007, 16:26
raki,
But I don't regret bringing it up because now I realize there are some foolish people here that trust everything about that particular business, and perhaps this bad waiter is taking advantage of that good reputation.

Please Raksiam, your message has been well spread.

If you feel that you haven’t been treated correctly at Dick’s Caf├и in Jomtien or Bangkok, please mail your complaint in detail to Lucas. He is the one who needs to know in any case. And for sure, he will eye the incident very closely and check his staff out accordingly.

Leave a chance to sort it all out properly. That’s nothing but fair.

There will be no drawback or negative responses.

Contact Lucas directly here: dickscafe@dickscafe.com

July 30th, 2007, 16:46
raki,

Please Raksiam, your message has been well spread.

If you feel that you havenтАЩt been treated correctly at DickтАЩs Caf├и in Jomtien or Bangkok, please mail your complaint in detail to Lucas. He is the one who needs to know in any case. And for sure, he will eye the incident very closely and check his staff out accordingly.

Leave a chance to sort it all out properly. ThatтАЩs nothing but fair.

There will be no drawback or negative responses.

Contact Lucas directly here: dickscafe@dickscafe.com
Egads! No, I have no intention of contacting anyone. Surely they have heard about it already and again, I don't wish to see this guy fired. The defense is easy enough, he can keep his job, it isn't exactly an important one.

July 30th, 2007, 17:44
I don't wish to see this guy fired. The defense is easy enough, he can keep his job, it isn't exactly an important one.Not even to him?

July 30th, 2007, 23:04
I don't wish to see this guy fired. The defense is easy enough, he can keep his job, it isn't exactly an important one.Not even to him?
I am sure it is to him.
The reason I didn't go into more detail was because I didn't want him to be personally identified because I never wanted him fired, only wanted to warn others.