View Full Version : That 'Tourist Visa' thing again!

July 18th, 2007, 02:41
I was just looking at Thaivisa.com.

Do I understand the following correctly:

Retirement Visa can now be issued to those aged 50 or over (no longer 55)? Any chance of this being reduced in the near future?

Visa on Arrival (30 day entry) will allow for extensions or renewals up to a maximum of 90 days in any six month period? This is not likely to change, correct?

Tourist Visas (60 day entry with possibility to extend a further 30 days) can be obtained to allow double or triple entry into Thailand from embassies/consulates overseas. The stay is not limited to 90 days in any six month period but is down to how many tourist visas each consulate may allow and then upto the immigration officer at your entry point allowing you in on 'yet another' tourist visa. Apart from odd flights to KL for a new tourist visa (or two), does this mean that one can just keep popping out of Thailand for a new visa and returning to live stay?

July 18th, 2007, 02:47
I was just looking at Thaivisa.com.

Do I understand the following correctly:

Retirement Visa can now be issued to those aged 50 or over (no longer 55)? Any chance of this being reduced in the near future?
***Correct. It is 50. No word about it going lower.***

Visa on Arrival (30 day entry) will allow for extensions or renewals up to a maximum of 90 days in any six month period? This is not likely to change, correct?
***These are not visas. They are 30 day stamps. I think you can get a short extension (maybe 10 days). To get another 30, leave the country. You can do that 3 times in a six month period.***

Tourist Visas (60 day entry with possibility to extend a further 30 days) can be obtained to allow double or triple entry into Thailand from embassies/consulates overseas. The stay is not limited to 90 days in any six month period but is down to how many tourist visas each consulate may allow and then upto the immigration officer at your entry point allowing you in on 'yet another' tourist visa. Apart from odd flights to KL for a new tourist visa (or two), does this mean that one can just keep popping out of Thailand for a new visa and returning to live stay?
***It is harder to get more than one entry. It is more common for embassies to notice that you are living in Thailand and not a real tourist, and stop giving the visas. It is now much harder than it is used to be to live indefinitely in Thailand on tourist visas. Have a backup.

catawampuscat
July 18th, 2007, 15:04
It is good to see Fatman41 back authoring threads.
You can use the tourist visas to extend your stay. If you have USA passport,
you shouldn't have any problems getting a double entry tourist visa in one of
the USA consulates and I imagine the European countries would be the same.

If you could get a triple entry tourist visa, you could extend your trip to about
9 months utilizing the 30 days extensions with each entry.

If you have to get a tourist visa in a near by country to Thailand, it may not be
possible to get a multiple entry tourist visa. You also need to stay a few days in
the neighboring country as applications are only accepted on weekdays
in the morning hours and you have to return the following day after 1 PM.
Vientiane in Laos is a good place to go and relax along the Mekong River while
they process your paperwork.

Thaivisa usually the best place to advise which countries are giving multiple entry
visas and which are difficult. :cat:

July 18th, 2007, 15:13
Yes, you can get a 30 day extension on a real tourist visa.
But, no, you cannot get a 30 day extension on a 30 day stamp.
It is true you have a much better chance of getting multiple entry tourist visas outside SE Asia.