PDA

View Full Version : He's NUTS - Prescription Shipping Advice Sought

July 17th, 2007, 19:33
My friend and his partner departed Texas yesterday for 6 months in Pattaya. They have already reserved a townhouse south of Jomtien and are on 2 entry tourist visa (will renew through "visa run" in 3 mos through Laos). They are coming to Thailand to make a final decision whether to retire here or not. His partner has a problem with needing a supply of "prescriptions" that are not specifically available in Thailand.

They got a big surprise the other day. When they went to his pharmacy to get what they thought was going to be a 6 month "vacation" supply he was told something was mistaken and he could only get a 3 month supply from the insurance company. They said he was already "especially lucky" as they usually only give 30-day up to 60-day vacation supplies.

His pharmacist said he could send the other 3 months supply anywhere (in 3 more months, of course) by courier. Their experience with this, however, is usually to Europe or south-of- the-border travellers needing heart medicine and they have little experience sending to other continents or these particular prescriptions.

The insurance company said, well, they've heard of pharmacies sending vacation supply "renewals" overseas to their insured before, it can happen. But they were again warned that once the prescriptions leave the pharmacy, if any of these get lost, stolen (or refused, ...) then it's the insured's loss!

I think he's NUTS to do this. The thought of an emergency run back home at high ticket price to pay for these on your own a day before the mistakenly lost package FINALLY arrived is very depressing.

Ignoring, for now, issues for them to deal with after they decide to retire here, I wonder if anyone can comment. You could be taking a 5-month round-the-world trip and sending express to a hotel in Delhi. You could have lost an adequate supply brought with you or had them stolen in mid-trip.

Are there any international conventions for tourists travelling and in need of, say, heart medicine only available to obtain directly from their home countries as to acceptance and duty? Of course most travellers don't have prescription coverage outside the US, anyway, so couls save lots of money renewing it by courier from the home country.

I have been looking up travel insurances online lately and don't see how any of these expensive prescriptions (replacement costs) could be covered and for 6 months.

He has good insurance/prescription coverage, which has a high monthly premium but very low co-pay. If duty was due, then would it be on the invoiced co-pay? The partner WOULD go broke paying 35% duty on the actual (replacement} cost of these. Are prescription medicines duty free?

(He's liable to be around for a long time - no specific medical needs are forecast.)

I'm not looking for anyone's long-term secrets, hints on hospitals, just the one-time case of tourist travel going over the "vacation supply." Best couriers to use from the US to here? Best couriers's with tracking and support IN the other country to limit worry? How should inexperienced persons at the pharmacy be asked to fill out paperwork to Asia, particularly here (invoiced value, insured value, customs declared value, ... )?

Personally I have had bad experiences with having anything shipped here, and have limited myself to baggage only..

Any advice, just "been done before to here or there", appreciated.

x in pattaya
July 17th, 2007, 20:06
I think DHL is the best courier service available in this part of the world. I've used them in several countries and never had a problem with things sent going missing. I think both UPS and Fedex are available in Pattaya and really the likelihood of something being lost is minimal.

The next issue, however, is customs. It's difficult to predict how customs are likely to regard a hefty package of drugs.

I find it hard to believe that the medicine is unavailable here in one form or another. A visit to a cardiologist at Bangkok Hospital Pattaya might be useful to be certain about that. I use Dr. Kitti Tirawanichkul. You could email him ahead of time to explain the situation and ask his advice on the availability of the drug needed, at least as an emergency back-up.

Here's his information and an email address: http://www.pattayaheartcenter.com/doctor/doctor_view.php?did=277

Bangkok Pattaya Hospital also claims to provide "World-wide Insurance Assistance." Maybe they have some way of using your friend's insurance coverage to provide medicince ... this is speculation only. http://www.bph.co.th/pages/main.php

BUPA also offers short-term expat insurance for visitors to Thailand up to 6 months. Don't know how it would deal with on-going, pre-existing conditions, but here's their website.

http://www.privatehealth.co.uk/healthinsurance/insurance-news/december-2005/bupa-thailand-100

July 17th, 2007, 20:56
I find it hard to believe that the medicine is unavailable here in one form or another. A visit to a cardiologist at Bangkok Hospital Pattaya might be useful to be certain about that. I use Dr. Kitti Tirawanichkul. You could email him ahead of time to explain the situation and ask his advice on the availability of the drug needed, at least as an emergency back-up.

Here's his information and an email address: http://www.pattayaheartcenter.com/doctor/doctor_view.php?did=277

Sound advice. I also find it very hard to believe that heart drugs are not available in Thailand through a reputable hospital or heart centre. However, I would avoid getting drugs through a less reputable source or using generic drugs which may not be manufactured to the same standard as the real thing. Suggest he get a copy of his prescription and send it to Dr. Kitti and ask for advice in advance of traveling.

I too have heard of some devastating experiences with missing/lost/stolen packages and I would certainly not consider sending anything which involves the Thai postal 'service'. DHL and FedEx are usually reliable although an expat friend of mine living in BKK did lose quite a valuable item which was sent by DHL - they coughed up with insurance but the item was of a personal nature and it's loss was irreplaceable.

Khun X has also made another good point about Thai customs. Sending drugs, even if they are for legitimate medical reasons, is sure to attract their attention and they are also likely to be very heavily taxed on importation.

Lunchtime O'Booze
July 17th, 2007, 21:03
you need in Thailand ?...especially if you are in a big centre like Pattaya or Bangkok. I mean it's not a backwater and if your friend's health is a bit dodgy he should register with a local medico .

People have heart attacks in Thailand too ! ( and survive)

July 17th, 2007, 21:40
Has he called Bumrungrad? They usually have everything but sometimes its even more expensive than US prices.

Wesley
July 17th, 2007, 22:11
I have been using DHL for years and No problems at all. I have my doctors Email and if there is anything I need he calls it in and its shipped to me VIA DHL. I get it in about 7 days and life I hope goes on. I have been Here out of the states for ten years now. I have never had a problem and this is not the kind of place you want to trust things to a local for the most part.

Wesley

x in pattaya
July 17th, 2007, 22:32
this is not the kind of place you want to trust things to a local for the most part

Just to clarify for those of you who haven't downloaded Wes' biography yet, he's not referring to Thailand. As I recall, he's currently in the wilds of Bayonne, New Jersey. :drunken:

Wesley
July 17th, 2007, 22:37
this is not the kind of place you want to trust things to a local for the most part

Just to clarify for those of you who haven't downloaded Wes' biography yet, he's not referring to Thailand. As I recall, he's currently in the wilds of Bayonne, New Jersey. :drunken:

I am somewhere in the Steep, it is wild and I love it. It is not a biography , I didn't mention all of the 4 year guys that would end up explaining another 16 years of my life.

Wesley

x in pattaya
July 17th, 2007, 23:07
I am somewhere in the Steep, it is wild and I love it.

Bayonne has steeps? I thought they were Steppes. Surely Frank Sinatra would know if it's in Jersey.

Wesley
July 17th, 2007, 23:24
I just didn't look after spell check, It is the Steppes!

Thanks for your kind attention to detail! :drunken:

Wesley

x in pattaya
July 18th, 2007, 07:40
I didn't mention all of the 4 year guys that would end up explaining another 16 years of my life.

If those are added to the ones you have "mentionned" over the years, I make a rough calculation of your age at 196. Has the Queen sent birthday greetings?

July 18th, 2007, 11:02
I also did a "pre-retirement" visit for about 6 months to see if I really wanted to retire here - one of my concerns was the availability of my various medications (heart condition). In my case, my insurance did not quibble about my "vacation" supply being sufficient for 6 months.

I visited with Dr. Manoon, Cardiologist, at Bangkok Hospital Pattaya's Heart Center - first to acquaint him with my condition and to check on the availability of my medicines. All my medicines were available - however, three of them were from Europe instead of USA (same drug, different name). So, as suggested, check with them to see if the medicine can be obtained here. Since moving here, I have also undergone both angiogram and angioplasty procedures at Bangkok Hospital Pattaya - the procedures, etc. were the same as when I underwent them on previous occasions in the USA. Also, I am fortunate enough to have health insurance that covers my medical care here in Thailand, including prescription drugs -- however, I do have to pay first and then file a claim for reimbursement.

I have no experience with shipping prescription drugs to Thailand from another country - however, as to shipping service, I have used DHL and FedEx - both were reliable and have good online tracking systems.

andrewcraig
July 18th, 2007, 11:30
I also did a "pre-retirement" visit for about 6 months to see if I really wanted to retire here - one of my concerns was the availability of my various medications (heart condition).

Since moving here, I have also undergone both angiogram and angioplasty procedures at Bangkok Hospital Pattaya - the procedures, etc. were the same as when I underwent them on previous occasions in the USA, .

That made me sit up and take notice I had angiogram and angioplasty in 1991 and thought

that was the end of it

The previous occasions and in LOS means you have had angioplasty 3 times. Strewth

I would like to know the name of the heart drugs that we are discussing not being available. I have several

friends that are prescribed a variety of drugs who have expressed concerns about being seperated from their

long term supply in their baggage, if it gets lost.

We know 2 friends whose luggage disappeared at Heathrow, and has not been located..

Fortunately from the loss of drugs, both were on their way home after holidays

lonelywombat
July 18th, 2007, 11:47
Just doing my fortnightly browse of baht stop and saw this thread. This is the opening post. It will not be much comfort to those in this discussion.

"Seven locally produced heart drugs have been removed from hospitals after they failed to pass quality tests, health authorities said yesterday. The findings came from a study of 137 samples of 11 drug categories used in 39 hospitals accredited by the Institute of Hospital Quality Improvement and Accreditation. . .

The ingredients did not meet requirements, and the disintegration time and dosage limits were different from details given to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) during the registration period.

Mr Wongwiwat refused to reveal the brands or manufacturers, merely saying they were made by two local pharmaceutical companies."

Not much of interest in the remaining posts but here is a link

http://www.baht-stop.com/forums/index.p ... topic=2294 (http://www.baht-stop.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2294)

July 18th, 2007, 11:52
I have a friend from California who has lived in Pattaya 5 years. I used FedEX to send him both medicine and medical appliances. There has never been a problem. I am now living in Thailand and need several medicines which my insurance sends to a friend who forwards it by FedEX. No problem. There is of course a tracking number which you can track through the Internet. I have it shipped international economy and get it within 7 days.

The reason for still getting the medicine in the USA is I pay a copay of only $5 for a 90 day. If I would buy that here it would be much more than that. I would let your friend know he could enjoy himself without worry.

By the way, if a FedEX package is held up in customs, you can go to Bangkok to customs and explain that it is for your health and most likely will be released immediately

July 18th, 2007, 14:42
We know 2 friends whose luggage disappeared at Heathrow, and has not been located..

They must have been traveling with British Airways - self-proclaimed as 'The world's favourite airline' - although most people I know would strongly disagree. They are the unrivaled experts at losing baggage at Heathrow.

x in pattaya
July 18th, 2007, 18:40
Wesley
I am somewhere in the Steep, it is wild and I love it.
I have been Here ... for ten years now.

I stand corrected

I just didn't look after spell check, It is the Steppes!

No problem. I quite often have to check the spelling for places where I've been staying for ten years too.

Wesley

Thialnd as a whole

How long have been here in Thialnd?

lonelywombat
July 18th, 2007, 20:23
For what is a most important post and thread, why is x in pattaya using this thread to have a personal attack on
another poster.

Life saving prescription drugs mean a lot more to people on this thread, more than your petty vendetta.

Get a life and hopefully you wont need advice on lifesaving drugs in the future

x in pattaya
July 18th, 2007, 21:19
If you weren't in such a hurry to start name calling, you would notice that it was me who gave the original poster suggestions about a courier, about a cardiologist at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital and about possible insurance issues.

The matter of "life-saving drugs" has been pretty well answered by me and some others who supplied information. Should we all stand around with long faces and behave like little wombats for the next week or two?

Wes and I have "known" each other for a long time and we make fun of each other. There's no vendetta.

It's unfortunate that you have to project you emotional instability onto others. I was beginning to think this message board had vastly improved. Information being shared. Fun being had.

Obviously I was wrong and the drama queens are strutting their stuff again. Who needs the crap from little minds?

July 18th, 2007, 22:10
Thanks for all the info and opinions esp. that international couriers like Fedex and DHL are to be trusted.

From other feedback outside here I am betting (just a feeling) that when the pharmacist said "you can ship overseas" or however worded, he meant that many customers have proxies (friends or relatives) picking their prescriptions up and forwarding them overseas for them. It can be that bad in the US! I will tell them to have a proxy ready and DON'T try to save - pay for the better courier services.

And prepare for the unpredictabe with Thai customs.

TrongpaiExpat
July 19th, 2007, 00:29
And prepare for the unpredictabe with Thai customs

I had a small shipment of vitamins held up for two months by Thai Customs. They kept asking for different documents and in the end they decided to test a few to see if they were illegal substances and sent me the bill for the testing.

July 19th, 2007, 08:39
[I had a small shipment of vitamins held up for two months by Thai Customs. They kept asking for different documents and in the end they decided to test a few to see if they were illegal substances and sent me the bill for the testing.
I'm curious how much the bill was.

Once at NRT airport, Japanese Customs officers pulled me into the back room because I had some "suspicious" pills. They were melatonin, and even though I'm semi-fluent in Japanese, I couldn't for the life of me explain what they were. So they did a little test: They scraped shavings off one pill and put them in a small test tube of some clear solution. If that solution had turned a certain color, it would have indicated some illegal drug, they explained. I suspect it checked for opiates, but not sure. Anyway, that test took all of one minute and minimal effort on their part. How much would the bill for such a test be?

lonelywombat
July 19th, 2007, 13:54
Wes and I have "known" each other for a long time and we make fun of each other. There's no vendetta.

It's unfortunate that you have to project you emotional instability onto others. I was beginning to think this message board had vastly improved. Information being shared. Fun being had.

Obviously I was wrong and the drama queens are strutting their stuff again. Who needs the crap from little minds?

I thought it was a pretty important post, it certainly was to me, and any other heart patient

It seems childish to Shanghai a thread to" make fun of each other" Little minds????? Yes agreed,
but the wrong mind accused. And who is calling whom drama queens.

Gosh girls, dont get your pantyhose in a bigger knot

TrongpaiExpat
July 19th, 2007, 14:21
[I had a small shipment of vitamins held up for two months by Thai Customs. They kept asking for different documents and in the end they decided to test a few to see if they were illegal substances and sent me the bill for the testing.

I'm curious how much the bill was.

2000 TB. It was shipped via Fed Ex. Two months latter Fed Ex showed up at the door with the package. It has a few dozen very official and stamped customs forms attached and one was the bill for drug testing. I had to pay Fed Ex to receive the package. I have no idea what they did or did not do. None of the bottles appeared opened, all still had the factory seals. One was Melatonin.

Customs wanted a letter from a Thai doctor "explaining what these vitamins were and why I had to take them". I went into a clinic and for 100TB a doctor wrote a nice letter and even said that they are essential and I had to take them without delay. Two months latter Customs releases the package.

July 19th, 2007, 15:13
a doctor wrote a nice letter and even said that they are essential and I had to take them without delay. Two months later Customs releases the package.
Now that's what I call a very efficient service !! :geek: