PDA

View Full Version : Weak dollar and sterling

July 17th, 2007, 03:07
... Ive just noticed that the bht to the dollar is 29.55, that is extremely low. Similarly, the UK pound is 60.20. These are offshore rates, it will be interesting to see how these reflect tomorrow morning on the onshore rates.

bucknaway
July 17th, 2007, 03:46
If the baht hits 30 to the USD then I will cancel my trip :(

Jetsam
July 17th, 2007, 03:53
If the baht hits 30 to the USD then I will cancel my trip :(

Why ? just convince the boys that the exchange rate is not very good and that is the reason you pay 1000 bht instead of 1500 bht, I'm sure they will understand it.

bucknaway
July 17th, 2007, 04:14
LOL Most of the guys I play with are free. I only play with 1 or 2 moneyboys during my trip... But I know what you are saying hehehe

July 17th, 2007, 05:54
Even if the baht went to 30 it wouldn't stop me from going on my trip. Doing half of what I use to do there is better than what i do at home, which is nothing. I'm starting to find the long flights to be a chore tho so i try to extend my stays and make fewer trips.

July 17th, 2007, 06:09
Generally, some people will be able to cope with a slightly stronger baht. However, there are a lot of people who go to Thailand on a budget, the baht has appreciated 19% since 2006, now that is a big jump. Its actually hitting Thailand twice, the dwindling US dollar along with a strong appreciating baht.

bucknaway
July 17th, 2007, 07:45
If it keeps up I will do a 2 week holiday in Miami or Atlanta or Puerto Rico and or the Dominican Republic. I like Thailand and the guys and the cheap food and hotels and taxis a lot but... when it is not a bargain.. it takes all the fun away for me.

July 17th, 2007, 14:16
Bucknaway,

You should check out Buenos Aires! Its an incredible bargain. They have discos, bars, saunas, and sex clubs and I think you would be a hit. Some of them are racist but not everyone. Some of the best steak in the world can be had for 5 dollars, and a decent bottle of wine about the same price.

painai2
July 17th, 2007, 14:22
You must be joking, in that part of the world you can't beat Rio for sex. Believe me I've been to both Brazil and Argentina, Brazil beats Argentina for what I want.

July 17th, 2007, 14:42
... Ive just noticed that the bht to the dollar is 29.55, that is extremely low. Similarly, the UK pound is 60.20. These are offshore rates, it will be interesting to see how these reflect tomorrow morning on the onshore rates.
The offshore rates are generally much stronger (Baht v pound/dollar) and volatile because they are used for international currency trading and international commerce and as such are affected much more by currency speculation. The onshore rates are usually a lot less liable to sudden fluctuations and a lot more favourable for the tourist/expat visiting/living in the country although prolonged high offshore rates are bound to have an affect in the long run.

The Baht v pound onshore rate has been fairly steady at between 67.5 to 68.5 for about the last six months. As at noon today the tourist rate (T/Cs) was 67.45.

July 17th, 2007, 15:17

Look to this link below! These are te changinging Rates. The was never 29,55 to the dollar. May you got wrong information!

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok+Bank ... efault.htm (http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok+Bank/Personal+Banking/Foreign+Exchange/FX+Rates/default.htm)

July 17th, 2007, 15:36
May you got wrong information!

On this board? That would be highly uncharacteristic.

July 17th, 2007, 15:57
You must be joking, in that part of the world you can't beat Rio for sex. Believe me I've been to both Brazil and Argentina, Brazil beats Argentina for what I want.
Yes, Rio is better for sex. Argentina is better for STRONG AMERICAN DOLLARS. The Brazil money has strengthened, Argie money hasn't. And everyone should visit Buenos Aires at least once. And Rio too!

July 17th, 2007, 15:59
Yes, Rio is better for sex. Argentina is better for STRONG AMERICAN DOLLARS. The Brazil money has strengthened, Argie money hasn't. And everyone should visit Buenos Aires at least once. And Rio too!

I think that Argentina might be better if you prefer European-looking twinks. Rio is better for Latin and black hunks. From my experiences, anyway.

July 17th, 2007, 15:59
Yes, Rio is better for sex. Argentina is better for strong American dollars, steaks, wine, and easy to find willing men in person or on gaydar. The Brazil money has strengthened and it is now much more expensive for Americans to visit there, the Argie money hasn't. And everyone should visit Buenos Aires at least once. And Rio too!

I think Mr. B would also be an exotic property in BA because they have so few black guys there, where in Rio many African descent people.

July 17th, 2007, 20:07

Look to this link below! These are te changinging Rates. The was never 29,55 to the dollar. May you got wrong information!

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok+Bank ... efault.htm (http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok+Bank/Personal+Banking/Foreign+Exchange/FX+Rates/default.htm)

krazydragon:

Not sure if you have been keeping an eye on currencies lately but for a while there have been offshore rates and onshore rates, what you are reading is the onshore rates which is a lot more favourable. Just in case you are not aware, offshore rates are for transactions carried out, out of Thailand. These rates are a lower, hence 29.55. Sooner or later this is going to reflect on the onshore rates. As of today, it hasn't.

July 18th, 2007, 01:27

I think that Argentina might be better if you prefer European-looking twinks. Rio is better for Latin and black hunks. From my experiences, anyway.
True, you can also find many Indian South Americans in BA, immigrants from Bolivia and Peru, etc.
Also, don't be shocked when you see two hot looking young men kissing each other on the street. Not a gay thing there. A shock the first few times.

July 18th, 2007, 01:55
Well I dont want to go into any discussions, but I am living in the Euro zone, danish kronen is close to the Euro, and in fact, it is cheaper for me to be in Thailand than 8 years ago. Well a lot of danish and european people is going west, because it is cheap to travel to the US now. The bht is going up and down compared to the dollar. The dollar have never been so cheap. So I am happy ;-)

July 18th, 2007, 02:01
Well I dont want to go into any discussions, but I am living in the Euro zone, danish kronen is close to the Euro, and in fact, it is cheaper for me to be in Thailand than 8 years ago. Well a lot of danish and european people is going west, because it is cheap to travel to the US now. The bht is going up and down compared to the dollar. The dollar have never been so cheap. So I am happy ;-)
Good for you. Please spend lots of money in America!

July 18th, 2007, 02:08
yes, but I am not the one doing it, even if I love NY, i am going East Asia , blame your government.

July 18th, 2007, 02:15
yes, but I am not the one doing it, even if I love NY, i am going East Asia , blame your government.
I willl be right on it!

July 18th, 2007, 02:26
yes it is funny to see how "people" are talking about the Thai economy, and how strong the bht is against the dollar ,but they dont talk about why dollar is weak, and how it come that way. I feel when I read comments about this, that it is others fault.

Dboy
July 20th, 2007, 03:21
Americans so inclined can attempt to hedge against the falling dollar by using one of the CurrencyShares instruments such as "FXE" (EUR/USD), traded on NYSE. This is not a market predication, nor a suggestion to buy or sell a security.

Dboy

Impulse
July 20th, 2007, 10:01
I hate these currency fluctuations.In the case of the dollar,it seems to only weaken against most currencies.Im tempted to wire a good sum of money to my thai bank now before I retire there in six years. I remember how strong the dollar was in 1985,friends were buying European cars and having them shipped back here.Oh those were the days. I wish they would stop the printing presses and flooding the markets with dollars,but I see no end in sight.We are spending 10 billion dollars a month in Iraq. Im going to write my congressman and see if I can get some kind of reimbursment or tax deduction for the boys I off in Thailand since Im just not getting the value Im used to getting. :bounce:

July 20th, 2007, 13:56
What goes around, comes around. Eventually.

July 22nd, 2007, 02:37
What goes around, comes around. Eventually.

Yes BG, my sentiments!

July 22nd, 2007, 02:42
What goes around, comes around. Eventually.Yes BG, my sentiments!Indeed - the next Asian financial crisis isn't too far away

Meanwhile posters have taken the usual superficial approach and blamed it all on the wicked US of A. This time it's largely the Asian governments reacting to the last crisis by squirreling away vast hordes of currency reserves (in US dollars) so they can avoid (so they imagine) the next crisis. All they have to do is look at how a semi-market economy like France performs against market economies like the US and the UK to see that the answer is not the piggy bank but a de-regulated economy. However that's far too difficult - too many cronies to protect