PDA

View Full Version : Best tailor in Pattaya for Suits??

TOQ
July 16th, 2007, 09:16
Again I come to the well for a drink of the vast wisdom of the Oracles of Sawatdee...

I am wondering if the assembled multitudes can point me to a good high end tailor in Pattaya as the sarong that I usually wear is getting frayed around the edges, as am I.

Having seen the sartorial splendor that passes for fashion in Sodom-by-the-Sea, I must admit that my hopes for a referral are not too high but <sigh> one must try.

Please, no replies from the socks and sandals set...

Kindest regards,

R

I have used Amigo on Soi Diamond for a couple of years now and referred customers to them as well.. I have had no complaints at all the referrals had said they were quite pleased aslo.. The owners name is Hans ( Indian - Thai ) and his brother is Steve..

Hope this helps.

john

Lunchtime O'Booze
July 16th, 2007, 11:16
in Pattaya Road-opposite the Royal Garden Plaza. Never had a reason to complain and they remember me each time (..even though they scramble to lock the doors). The tailor is the brother of the owner of that august publication-The Pattaya Mail-essential reading for the informed classes.

Very good at executing your own designs as you can see from my stylish outfits which draw much comment around town..(many say my designer should be executed).

seriously..they are very good..the tailor is of Indian extraction which is most unusual, and very helpful.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t93/jono2007_2007/Davn.jpg

PeterUK
July 16th, 2007, 13:06
A very fastidious friend of mine told me that, despite its rather naff-looking ads in the gay magazines, Jim's International is very good. It's located at Central Shopping Arcade, Pattaya Second Road, opposite Mike Shopping Mall.

TrumplesOz
July 16th, 2007, 14:08
For years now I have used Jims International and referred many, many people to him. In May when I was last in Pattaya I took my friend there and he too is another Jim convert!

July 16th, 2007, 15:32
Rainwalker, I don't know about 'high end' tailors in Pattaya - if you are looking for the sort of thing you get in Saville Row or Jermine Street forget it !!

Agree with the Boozer however about Classic tailors (although their shop entrance is now around the back in the parallel Soi to 2nd Road and opposite the Welcome Plaza hotel). Have also heard other favourable comments re Jim's International tailors but have not used them.

BTW there are only a couple of tailoring factories in Pattaya plus a few small family concerns so the odds are that the work will be done in one or other of the factories, despite the name/location of the tailor you opt to buy from. The only difference will be the amount of deference shown to you or the amount of grovelling or pressure put on you to buy that extra few shirts or pairs of trousers !!

July 16th, 2007, 15:47
Save your money and buy off-the-rack in your home country. You'll probably end up with a better product.

catawampuscat
July 16th, 2007, 16:52
I have also heard that the actual tailoring, the cutting of the material and the stitching is done in the same open air mini
sewing and cutting rooms one can see around town off the main sois.The Indians sell you the suit but the Thais do the tailoring..

I have had clothing made to measure in Taiwan and gone for numerous fittings and the final product was too tight
and I never liked the material. It was a navy blue blazer and I had trouble giving it away.
If they bring out the magazines and start talking about famous designer names that they can copy, it is all a case
of you get what you pay for. The materials used in good suits comes from quality Italian mills and the
cheap ones they use never look anything like the original they copy. They use cheap materials and look like bad copies.

I also had several shirts handmade to my measurements and they were also cheap quality materials and too tight even
after multiple fittings. Everything I bought at this highly recommended tailor shop was either thrown away or given away
and while cheap in price, it was all low quality. Never again..
I'd recommend a trip to BKK and a visit to a high end men's clothing store and buy quality as you say the price is not the factor.

You get what you pay for and in a tourist town where the customer can't complain too much or take legal action, one
should not expect quality at cheap prices. My experience was in another country but all the overweight farangs went there and they
all looked lousy in their cheap made to order suits. It is not possible for them to use quality materials and what they show you in the
shop may not be what they use but if you need a suit and two pairs of pants and a couple of shirts for 3000B. then this is the place.... :cat:

P.S. I actually need a new suit and was thinking of looking in BKK or even making the hop over to Singapore. I personally wouldn't
consider using the guys that extent their hands and tell you they are your friend and try to entice you into their shop. It is a
variation of the girls telling you that you are a sexy man and they want to go with you. You will get screwed either way...

Aunty
July 16th, 2007, 18:29
Does it have to be Pattaya? If you do want to try in Bangkok I can recommend Tom's International, 12 Mahanakorn rd, Bangkok. I had a suit and some dress shirts (Egyptian cotton) made there and I can highly recommend them for both the quality, the tailoring and the fit. It's not cheap in the Thai sense of the word, but you get what you pay for, and it takes 3-4 days. When you go let them know you are wanting quality garments made from their better cloth and they will take you to a separate part of the store where they keep the good stuff. They have a lot of fabric from England, Italy etc. I have had expensive suits made to measure by Emeraldo Zegna's tailors in Spain, and the one I had made in Bangkok would be almost as good (slightly less quality fabric wise) but the fit and construction was just as good as the Spanish. Maybe not Seville Row, but then you're not paying $5000 for a suit either! The shirts are excellent and the equal of anything you'd buy in Knightsbridge or 5th Avenue.

Lunchtime O'Booze
July 16th, 2007, 22:52
Madrid's answer to Saville Row ?? :dontknow:

DonMuang-old
July 17th, 2007, 02:05
Does anybody know a good taylor in Phuket?

July 17th, 2007, 14:21
Does anybody know a good taylor in Phuket?
Yes, his first name is John, he's a great guy who runs a bar there !!

If you want a tailor, sorry I can't help.