PDA

View Full Version : Graffiti

bao-bao
July 14th, 2007, 00:04
Another thing that's pleased me about Bangkok (and Toronto, too, come to think about it) has been the overall lack of graffiti on buildings, fences, that sort of thing. Here in the US it's so common, it's disgusting.

This is one of the few nasty patches of it I've seen in Bangkok:

http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/albumpics/2351.jpg

I personally view it as low-life uneducated creatures "lifting their leg" and spraying like a stray dog, marking what they consider to be their territory... much as I view some chronic posting freak's posts on the forum here :clown: (more or less joking here, guys).

Have others of you seen much of it in the touristy areas of Pattaya or Phuket? How about other areas? From my experiences I'm guessing it's less prevalent in rural areas.

Anyone? Anyone?

Jetsam
July 14th, 2007, 01:31
paint cost baht, nuff said

July 14th, 2007, 01:32
I think that decrepit building is actually more attractive with the graffiti.

Smiles
July 14th, 2007, 03:23
" ... I think that decrepit building is actually more attractive with the graffiti ... "
Agreed. Perhaps Picasso noticed it and took inspiration to paint something like this:

http://www.photodump.com/direct/sawatdee/picasso1.jpg

Colours, geometrics, jumbling similarities?

Cheers ...

July 14th, 2007, 05:21
Plenty of Graffiti on the walls near the Chong Nonsi skytrain station right next to the OM YIM hotel.

x in pattaya
July 14th, 2007, 07:24
Have others of you seen much of it in the touristy areas of Pattaya or Phuket?

Yes, it would be devastating if such pristine beauty were despoiled by graffiti.

http://inlinethumb33.webshots.com/5664/1211963814055901984S425x425Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb59.webshots.com/3322/1211963860055901984S425x425Q85.jpg

July 14th, 2007, 08:36
I find I'm 100% in agreement with EVERY SINGLE POST so far! Even BG's!

Must be the bourbon. :drunken:

catawampuscat
July 14th, 2007, 14:05
many young farangs, especially in the military can afford the spray paints and my guess is the photo
was the product of some inner city military guy or guys. Inner city is the p/c way to describe the urban
underclass of improvished and disadvantages youths usually of colour.

I do appreciate the complete lack of graffiti but if you ever get the urge, watch out for photos of royalty and
stay out of the wats. The is a complete lack of a sense of humour in these areas.. :cat:

July 14th, 2007, 14:34
Would you prefer another yellow sign?... Or the big dick painted on the side of the Day-Night Hotel?

Silly question.

x in pattaya
July 14th, 2007, 15:03
Or the big dick painted on the side of the Day-Night Hotel?

Are you speaking of a hypothetical "big dick" or have I missed something?

++++++++++++++++++

urban underclass of improvished and disadvantages youths usually of colour.

Graffiti from Pompei where "impoverished youths of colour" were apparently running amuck

"Hic Habitat Felicitas" indeed

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/bb/PompeiiBrickII.jpg/376px-PompeiiBrickII.jpg

Brad the Impala
July 14th, 2007, 21:44
many young farangs, especially in the military can afford the spray paints and my guess is the photo
was the product of some inner city military guy or guys. Inner city is the p/c way to describe the urban
underclass of improvished and disadvantages youths usually of colour.

The rigid discipline of being in the military means that they feel the need to mark their inner city territory, while the street gangs go off to fight in Iraq, and the artists march on parade. Indeed!!

July 15th, 2007, 02:12
was the product of some inner city military guy or guys.

I don't understand the grounds for these statements. Does the poster mean that Thailand has masses of foreign troops stationed there still. I thought that they'd gone home after the Vietnam thingy and only came back for a few weeks a year to Pattaya.

I've been in bars, in several countries, when American service personnel have pitched up and have been impressed with the gentlemanly behaviour of all ranks and races. OK so there have been some let downs "under fire" and in My Lai and Abu Gharib but I don't see the grounds for blanket stereotyping of either volunteers or conscripts and certainly not of People of Colo(u)r.

July 15th, 2007, 04:03
Absolutely true! The Thais are too poor to afford spray paint, and all the graffiti in Thailand is created by American military. Nice one!

catawampuscat
July 15th, 2007, 11:45
bg, in total agreement. hmmm, now is that sarcastic or actually a meeting of the minds.
Well, maybe I will never know for sure but it is just a theory and has no factual data to back it up
but it makes sense to me as a possibility.
I doubt the average graffiti artist would have the funds and interest to come over to spread the joys
of marring and visually polluting buildings, trains, almost anything reachable.
However, the fashions, and the music (if you call rap music) has spread like a virus and if they started to
wear tight revealing blue jeans, I would become a fan as that influence spread throughout the world... :cat:

July 15th, 2007, 16:00
phewwww.

i was sure i was gonna find an oogleman wuz ere pic in this thread!