PDA

View Full Version : Luang Prabang, Laos

July 10th, 2007, 01:56
Appreciate any suggestions for accommodation in Luang Prabang up to US$50 or 60 per night. Thanks!

billyhouston
July 10th, 2007, 05:00
Sayo (Xieng Mouane) Guest House is very central. Old French Colonial house, high ceilings, very hot showers (stored hot water rather than instant heated) a variety of rooms at differing prices. Main house rooms are better, upstairs more expensive but downstairs fine. Owner is not very friendly but his manager is very helpful and a real sweetie, as is the guy (or guys) who takes over in the evenings.

Owners name is Nepon. sayo@laotel.com will get you a price list and details for both Sayo Xieng Mouane and Sayo River.

July 10th, 2007, 08:41
You can get the Maison Souvannaphoum for that price, and you'll really appreciate the swimming pool.

billyhouston
July 12th, 2007, 04:05
You can get the Maison Souvannaphoum for that price, and you'll really appreciate the swimming pool.

It's a beautiful place and if I could get it for $50 to $60, I would stay there. It's difficult to find anyone offering that price even in low season. Please do tell us where?

July 12th, 2007, 08:13
Sorry, I spoke too soon. I stayed at Maison Souvannaphoum last year at this time, and got $65 on expedia.com. I just checked now, and the rates seem to have gone up to $110. Cheap dollar, I guess.

Bob
July 12th, 2007, 09:11
3 or 4 years ago, I stayed at the Villa Santi Resort for $62.00 per night and, next to the Goodwood Place in Singapore, it's one of the nicest places I've stayed in Southeast Asia. It's a bit out of town (2-3 miles) but they have hourly transport to and from town. Great place. (note: I expect the prices are higher now but don't know).

Same outfit has the Villa Santi Hotel in town which also is very nice but, in my opinion, not as nice as the Resort.

July 12th, 2007, 15:31
3 or 4 years ago, I stayed at the Villa Santi Resort for $62.00 per night and, next to the Goodwood Place in Singapore, it's one of the nicest places I've stayed in Southeast Asia. It's a bit out of town (2-3 miles) but they have hourly transport to and from town. Great place. (note: I expect the prices are higher now but don't know).

Same outfit has the Villa Santi Hotel in town which also is very nice but, in my opinion, not as nice as the Resort.

Villa Santi is truly an outstanding place. If I remember correctly is the manager a Thai from Bangkok, all gay. Some other staff is very gay too, and truly handsome.

L P is not really a large place.

Gay lifestyle isn't that popular in Laos. L.P. is probably the most international melting pot and therefore are some more relaxed about gay people. Anyway, being descrete always helps. ...

Bob
July 13th, 2007, 03:59
Villa Santi is truly an outstanding place. If I remember correctly is the manager a Thai from Bangkok, all gay. Some other staff is very gay too, and truly handsome.

You could be right but I didn't notice. I was there 5 nights with my bf from Chiangmai so either I was blind or wasn't looking. We were the only male couple there but I never felt any problem or attitude with that from anybody. Great restaurant there too (outdoors but covered and overlooking the beautiful grounds and countryside).

July 14th, 2007, 10:39
We were the only male couple there but I never felt any problem or attitude with that from anybodyOf course not - no-one in this part of Asia will confront you but rest assured their disapproval and contempt still runs deep

Bob
July 14th, 2007, 11:49
I'd rather rely on the openly friendly attitude I saw and experienced rather than your deep knowledge as to what some people in Luang Prabang were really thinking. Is it "all those asians think alike?"
Occasionally, you should restrain your assertion of fact that lacks any factual basis to assert.

You, of course, could be right.....but, like I said, I'd rather rely on what I genuinely saw and felt versus your supposition.

July 14th, 2007, 11:53
You, of course, could be right.....

If he is right this time it would be a first. He is a troll in the strictest sense: he'll say anything to get a rise out of someone, whether it's factual or not.

July 14th, 2007, 19:11
he'll say anything to get a rise out of someone, whether it's factual or not.

I'll agree with that, 555.

July 15th, 2007, 12:03
You, of course, could be right.....but, like I said, I'd rather rely on what I genuinely saw and felt versus your supposition.Gosh Bob, and I thought you Buddhists were rather keen on avoiding self-delusion

July 15th, 2007, 15:56
Very nice and friendly place:

Located on Phousi Road, Villa Merry Lao-Swiss is in the heart of the city, near Me Khong river or central evening market, bars, restaurants, the Royal Palace Museum and major Buddhist temples. 10-minutes by taxi to airport (can be arranged for 5 USD or something like that).

Small family runned hotel, open since 2005.
All 8 rooms are clean, nicely funished and have aircon, fridge, balcony, Sofa, TV- Cable/Sat.

During low seasons the rates are sustantially less (not more then 25 to 40 USD), peak season room costs between 30 and 55 USD incl. good breakfast.

For phone & fax: ++856 71 260 211, or mobile: ++856 20 5670429

Email: samoraphouma@hotmail.com and merrylaoswiss@hotmail.com
Web site (not good but good enough for location and first impression) www.freewebs.com (http://www.freewebs.com)\merrylao_swiss

Uranus
July 15th, 2007, 16:15
Your website link takes me nowhere!

Bob
July 16th, 2007, 04:54
Gosh Bob, and I thought you Buddhists were rather keen on avoiding self-delusion

Me Buddhist? Hardly. Am I delusional anyway? Damn straight! (hmmm....perhaps not the best phrase to use on this board!).