PDA

View Full Version : Seeking "contact information" weekend high school

travelerjim
July 8th, 2007, 18:46
Does anyone have the current 'contact information" about the weekend
High School program which has been run and sponsored by the
Buddhist Temple in North Pattaya ...Wat Po ???

I have a possible student to refer to them...
but have lost the contact and school information....

The info I have is 4 years old - when they then conducted a daily program,
I had 4 Thais enrolled then - very good and successful program,

But believe it is now on weekends only for an accelerated high school program
where a student 18+ can earn their high school certificate in 2 years
versus the normal 4 years or regular high school.

Thanks for the help...
and if you know of other like High School programs in the Pattaya area,
I would like to know about them.....

TravelerJim

July 8th, 2007, 20:02
I think inquirig at Aksorn School which is located on Pattaya-Naklua Road 119/1, Moo 5 in
Pattaya, phone 038 428 938 or 038 370 469 might be a good idea.

They do operate various educational instutions in Pattaya and offer a huge range of cources.

If I am wrong, they are surely able and willing to advice you accordingly. It’s maybe a good idea if someone of your Thai friends is ringing them for you.

July 8th, 2007, 20:15
The BF is a high school student at the Askorn School. He is the oldest in the class, and loving everyday of it. This year and 2 more, and he will have his certificate.

www.aksorn.th.edu/ (http://www.aksorn.th.edu/)

www.aksorn.ac.th/aksuksa/index.html (http://www.aksorn.ac.th/aksuksa/index.html)

He tells me this school has a very good reputation. He has a strong program of classes with substantial homework everyday. Turns out English is his best class ;o). He is very please with how his Thai writing is improving.

jvt22222
July 9th, 2007, 09:24
.......... an accelerated high school program operated out of their drop-in center on the road along the back entrance of the market which has its front entrance across from Wat Chai ........... the drop in center is in a shop house across the street from the rear entrance to the market a few door to the east.

travelerjim
July 9th, 2007, 11:28
Thank you all for your helpful suggestions and ideas.

I will follow up this week...
let you know how progress, if any, is made.

Hopefully the Thai in question will realize the opportunity he will soon have awaiting him...
for a high school AND an university education ...if he so chooses...
all for his future...for I believe strongly that a good education is the path from poverty.

He has a better than 3.4 grade point average in schooling to date...
with some semesters 4.0...straight "A's....
and has expressed a desire to be an Accountant.

But the need for money and promises made to him most recently in what I consider a very "veiled" way ..
(I am sure he doesn't have a clue what is reality at this point)...
to come to Pattaya and be able to send money home ...earn "guaranteed salary" of 4,000 baht plus tips...
and also earn enough money to be able to set up your own business in your home province..
brings many young Thai men out of the rice fields and small cities of Isaan to Pattaya...

But the sad truth of the matter is..
so few ever will receive such promised "guarantees" a
and such dreams of more baht for family and a future...
soon become unrealized realities...

"Up to HIM" is the phrase I will aptly put to him this week...via my Thai University Professor friend.
He can choose to pursue his education via high school completion and university degree..
or he can choose to continue as a young Thai working in a Pattaya Club...

I realize the difficulty he will have in making such a selection...
the draw to baht and easy $$$ and the partying that goes on night and day is too much for a young
Thai - new to the Pattaya scene - to make wise decision from...

But the longer he is out of school...
and the longer he is exposed to the elements of Pattaya scene...
his chances for his future success with an education...diminish each day!

I can only hope that he tries...he says he wants "to study"...

I really would like him to return to his home province and do the accelerated high school program there,
away from Pattaya and its elements of crime, night life, drugs, gambling, sex and the like.

TravelerJim

July 9th, 2007, 15:10
Thank you all for your helpful suggestions and ideas.

I will follow up this week...
let you know how progress, if any, is made.

Hopefully the Thai in question will realize the opportunity he will soon have awaiting him...
for a high school AND an university education ...if he so chooses...
all for his future...for I believe strongly that a good education is the path from poverty.

He has a better than 3.4 grade point average in schooling to date...
with some semesters 4.0...straight "A's....
and has expressed a desire to be an Accountant.

But the need for money and promises made to him most recently in what I consider a very "veiled" way ..
(I am sure he doesn't have a clue what is reality at this point)...
to come to Pattaya and be able to send money home ...earn "guaranteed salary" of 4,000 baht plus tips...
and also earn enough money to be able to set up your own business in your home province..
brings many young Thai men out of the rice fields and small cities of Isaan to Pattaya...

But the sad truth of the matter is..
so few ever will receive such promised "guarantees" a
and such dreams of more baht for family and a future...
soon become unrealized realities...

"Up to HIM" is the phrase I will aptly put to him this week...via my Thai University Professor friend.
He can choose to pursue his education via high school completion and university degree..
or he can choose to continue as a young Thai working in a Pattaya Club...

I realize the difficulty he will have in making such a selection...
the draw to baht and easy $$$ and the partying that goes on night and day is too much for a young
Thai - new to the Pattaya scene - to make wise decision from...

But the longer he is out of school...
and the longer he is exposed to the elements of Pattaya scene...
his chances for his future success with an education...diminish each day!

I can only hope that he tries...he says he wants "to study"...

I really would like him to return to his home province and do the accelerated high school program there,
away from Pattaya and its elements of crime, night life, drugs, gambling, sex and the like.

TravelerJim

TJ, I like your plans.

Please do not push anyone into a quick decision, since this is a lengthy process including friends, maybe relatives and so on. Respect the Thai style: the amount of consideration is enormous.

I found that a good alternative education in Thailand is sending someone to a Vocational College. The combination of theory and practice is suiting most of them well. Courses take between 6 month and a year.

Anyone I remember from previous courses got a proper job, now working i.e. as barber, electrician, mechanic, joiner, painter; some are working abroad.

I know two colleges in Pattaya. There is another large one in Banglamung, supported by royals.

Pattaya:
Aksorn Technology in Pattaya on 189/30 Thepprasit Road Moo 11
Tel (38) 300 164 (technical, agricultural)

Pataya Commercial School on 119/5 Naklua Road Moo 5 Tel 038 423-938

Just feel free and make an appointment with your friend. They will show you the place and answer any question.

The courses are very affordable; do calculate around 15 000 TBT plus material, equipment (for barber i.e. scissors, haircutting machine etc.) but they inform you about all there.

Vocational Colleges can be found all over Thailand in any midsized or larger town. There program do vary.

July 9th, 2007, 16:44
He needs to make his own choices and mistakes.

The easy money and party life style becomes harder as one grows older. A few of the smarter fellows realize this and build a bank account for a business after the bars. Some realize that an education can get them a job that will afford the a better life. Even the superstars realize that their bar career is fleeting and always in danger from the fresh new faces.

Hopefully you friend makes the right choice. He is lucky to have someone who cares about his future.

BTW, I am told going to school in Pattaya is better than the home province because it has good schools and that there are many part-time jobs available outside the bar scene.

July 9th, 2007, 18:11
I would never put down anyone who wanted to learn more. Anything. But the reality in Thailand, as well as many other countries in the world, is that jobs are not available. No matter how good your test scores are or anything. Its who you know. The dumbest dunce will get the job before the smart one, if his uncle knows the wife of the boss, or something simular. Anyway, you could spend your money worse than helping some nice lad. Good on you.

July 10th, 2007, 01:28
I would never put down anyone who wanted to learn more. Anything. But the reality in Thailand, as well as many other countries in the world, is that jobs are not available. No matter how good your test scores are or anything. Its who you know. The dumbest dunce will get the job before the smart one, if his uncle knows the wife of the boss, or something simular. Anyway, you could spend your money worse than helping some nice lad. Good on you.

Loosing money, house, friends and what is possible and can happen to everyone.

But what you’ve ones learned properly, will last for a lifetime … This is something you cannot loose.

During the past 10 or so years I supported a few students at high school, university and vocational colleges. They all turned out to be are on the right track. All of them are working. They don’t need pink dollars anymore. And some of them are supporting by themselves someone less privileged too.

It’s always a big pleasure meeting them again.

There are many good jobs availible. Don't worry. The Vocational colleges do train in close contact with local businesses. Students can usually start work directly after training.