PDA

View Full Version : China Airlines

July 7th, 2007, 20:13
Grateful to hear if anyone has experience of flying business class on China Airlines Amsterdam-BKK (and return).
Getting ready for my next visit and they are advertising a very good price for business class, which is marginally cheaper than flying premium economy on Eva Air.

Irish1972
July 7th, 2007, 21:32
I have flown with them a few times and have just booked again for September. They are fine, not the best BC out there but by no means the worst.

Jetsam
July 7th, 2007, 22:35
China Airlines in cattle class is IMO better than Eva in cattle class.

don't know about their Die Nasty product though.

July 7th, 2007, 22:57
where did you find the good price for business class china airlines. one time I have had an upgrade from eco to bc; it was great; I felt like a king.

July 8th, 2007, 12:04
Did I not just see a piece on the news about Chinese pilots not up to par in english skills? Quite a few flunked out on tests. I don't think I would always go with the cheapest airline. It might be the most expensive in the long run.

July 8th, 2007, 13:33
i think that is the airlines which has one of the worst safey records--someone once said, they offer great promotions to attract business--if they don't crash, it's comes out to be a great deal!

July 8th, 2007, 15:59
i think that is the airline which has one of the worst safey records

Interesting point and something I had not really considered in my hunt for a bargain! I did some googling on airline safety records and found that China Air has a very poor record indeed, in fact its record is even worse than Garuda Air which the EU has banned, along with other Indonesian airlines, from operating into Europe or flying in European airspace.

(EVA Air by the way has a record of NO fatal accidents since 1970).

Back to the drawing board !!!!!!!!!!

July 8th, 2007, 16:01
where did you find the good price for business class china airlines. one time I have had an upgrade from eco to bc; it was great; I felt like a king.
Travelocity on-line travel agency

http://www.travelocity.co.uk/

July 8th, 2007, 16:22
(EVA Air by the way has a record of NO fatal accidents since 1970).

EVA Air has only been around since the early 90's, though.

puckered_penguin
July 8th, 2007, 16:31
EVA Air has not had any passenger
fatalities since it began service in 1991.

What is the record of China Airlines?
Since 1970, there have been nine fatal events involving China Airlines. The estimated fatal event rate for China Airlines is about 11.4 fatal events per million flights. This is more than triple the rate of most major airlines in North America and western Europe.

Aunty
July 8th, 2007, 16:38
Before mainland China fully modernised, it's airline was called CAAC. In the West this was understood to mean:- Crashes All Around China.

Flying between Chungking and Guilin in 1981, I was somewhat taken aback when on boarding the 'aircraft' (a Russian turboprop that looked like a DC-3) I saw the ground crew guy nonchalantly leaning out the pilot's cockpit window in his white sleeveless singlet and blue trousers, with a cheerie can do smile of welcome.

If nothing else at least they have moved on from that! The captain now wears a shirt.

pandorasbox-old
July 8th, 2007, 17:01
Have flown this route several times. Found it to be very good and very well priced. Service was also of a good standard. Would use again.

Saying all that I found the business class service of SAS to be the best of the European carriers I have used. However this service is about ┬г500 more expensive than China airlines

July 8th, 2007, 17:06
Before mainland China fully modernised, it's airline was called CAAC. In the West this was understood to mean:- Crashes All Around China.

Flying between Chungking and Guilin in 1981, I was somewhat taken aback when on boarding the 'aircraft' (a Russian turboprop that looked like a DC-3) I saw the ground crew guy nonchalantly leaning out the pilot's cockpit window in his white sleeveless singlet and blue trousers, with a cheerie can do smile of welcome.

If nothing else at least they have moved on from that! The captain now wears a shirt.
FYI China Air is a Taiwanese airline, not Chinese !!

Aunty
July 8th, 2007, 17:09

FYI China Air is a Taiwanese airline, not Chinese !!

I know. :geek:

July 8th, 2007, 17:14
Saying all that I found the business class service of SAS to be the best of the European carriers I have used. However this service is about ┬г500 more expensive than China airlines
Looked at SAS but the cheapest BC flight was ┬г700 more than the China Air price.

Have opted for Etihad from LHR via Abu Dhabi. Their write-ups, particularly in relation to seat comfort etc have been good and the aircraft are modern.
Got a return BC flight (both legs) which was only ┬г250 more than the cheap offer for China Air BC via Amsterdam/Eva Air Elite (premium economy) class. The stopover time in Abud Dhabi is reasonable each way at less than 2-1/2 hrs.

puckered_penguin
July 8th, 2007, 18:00
You guys are missing the point. No doubt your biggest expenditure is on the rent boys when you get here.

Just save money on them by tipping 50% of your normal tip.

July 9th, 2007, 00:15
You guys are missing the point. No doubt your biggest expenditure is on the rent boys when you get here.

Just save money on them by tipping 50% of your normal tip.
You miss the point. I like to travel in reasonable comfort and not in cattle class. However, the more I can save on a premium economy or business class fare the more I have to spend on the boys. I am not a cheapskate in that respect and like to pay the boys the acceptable going rate for services rendered (providing of course that they are satisfactory). I seem to remember however that you are one of those penny-pinchers who think that a 500 baht tip for a bar boy is over the top. :geek:

July 9th, 2007, 09:45
DELETED

July 9th, 2007, 14:48
500 Baht??? You mad, farang fool!!!
Who pulled your chain? :angry5: If you have nothing of interest to contribute keep your stupid comments to yourself ! :thebirdman:

July 9th, 2007, 16:06
DELETED

July 9th, 2007, 16:15
BG reaches for his popcorn...http://www.emofaces.com/en/smilies/p/popcorn-eating-smile.gif

July 9th, 2007, 16:38
BG reaches for his popcorn....
If you are waiting for a spat to develop you will be sorely disappointed. I've put the idiot Botting on Ignore. :cheers:

puckered_penguin
July 9th, 2007, 18:13
[quote="puckered_penguin":32x4sdbq]You guys are missing the point. No doubt your biggest expenditure is on the rent boys when you get here.

. I seem to remember however that you are one of those penny-pinchers who think that a 500 baht tip for a bar boy is over the top. :geek:

I am not sure where u got that from buaseng. I never tip boys for sex, They are fully available for free if you know where to look.

500 Baht??? You mad, farang fool!!![/quote:32x4sdbq]

buaseng, I think you missed JB's sarcasm. Let me explain it. JB was agreeing with you that 500 is so cheap. He illustrated it by saying that only a fool pays 500 Baht and that 500 Baht is just too much

JB is one of the most generous tippers in Pattaya. I believe he pays 500 Baht plus a 10% tip.

catawampuscat
July 9th, 2007, 18:20
BG is funny and JB is funny too.
Sometimes we have to not take every word so seriously and just enjoy the moment.
The controversy between the cheapos and the those who don't get their yayas out of
beating poor people out of a few pennies, will go on and on.
It's great when some of the regulars can get off their high horses (?) and have a laugh
and play around.
You are taking this all too seriously if you think putting someone on your ignore list is
going to have an impact. Lighten up, we all fart sometimes............. :cat:

July 9th, 2007, 20:25
buaseng, I think you missed JB's sarcasm. Let me explain it. JB was agreeing with you that 500 is so cheap. He illustrated it by saying that only a fool pays 500 Baht and that 500 Baht is just too much

JB is one of the most generous tippers in Pattaya. I believe he pays 500 Baht plus a 10% tip.
Just for the record I pay 1000 baht short time and 1500 (+) for overnight, always assuming of course that the boy has provided a good service. I seem to remember from past threads that you and now, if you are to be believed, Botting (but is that another piece of sarcasm?) pay 500 Baht but think that it is far too much.

For the Cat. The thread was a serious enquiry about China Airlines but was highjacked by stupid, foul-mouthed comments from Botting.
As for putting people on Ignore, that is my privilege but I don't for a moment believe it will have an impact other than to relieve me of the need to read his mindless drivel in the future.
As for farting, I don't know about that but there is plenty of shit flying around on this board from people who feel compelled to make comments that have no relevance whatsoever to the particular thread under discussion.

Subject for me now closed. As I started the thread the Mods are welcome to lock it.

yaraboy
July 9th, 2007, 21:33
My pal who is just about to retire from Air Canada says that of the Asian Airlines he would only fly JAL and possibly Eva (depending on who is in cockpit) He says training in Asia is just not up to scratch..............Airlines like Korea and Eva were forced by IATA to hire Western pilots.

July 9th, 2007, 21:37
What about Singapore and Cathay Pacific, regarded by most experts as two of the best airlines in the world?

July 9th, 2007, 21:50
My pal who is just about to retire from Air Canada says that of the Asian Airlines he would only fly JAL and possibly Eva (depending on who is in cockpit) He says training in Asia is just not up to scratch..............Airlines like Korea and Eva were forced by IATA to hire Western pilots.
In my experience the captains of EVA Air Boeing 747s and 777s on the UK/BKK route have all been Brits, Aussies or New Zealanders although I did have a South African on one flight. The co-pilots all seem to be Taiwanese or Chinese - I wonder where they go when they are senior enough and have the experience to be promoted to captain, I have never found any of them being the captain on these flights?

July 9th, 2007, 23:58
My recollection was that the CA pilot whose MD-11 from Bangkok in August 1999 turned over in a typhoon at Hong Kong was an expatriate, not Taiwanese.

jolyjacktar
July 10th, 2007, 02:42
All this talk about airlines me maties, do what i do and skipper your own Boat to the LOS. I am making a request to the Thai Military to Have a dock built for me at JomPPtien. And going to ask Boyqueenius to come and open it for us. Yo ho ho and a bottle of Sang Som

July 10th, 2007, 09:17
DELETED

July 10th, 2007, 15:43
Oh, I'm sorry, you wouldn't know would you as I am your ignor list 555

You're not on my ignore list John, nor ever will be. Groan ups like us like to see what the b*st*rds say about us. 555

July 10th, 2007, 15:55
Groan ups like us

"Groan" ups! That's funny!