PDA

View Full Version : ADSL without a telephone

tony279760-old
July 3rd, 2007, 17:36
can anyone give me information on ADSL options in Pattaya that don't require a telephone line. Thanks

July 3rd, 2007, 19:21
very simple, there are none--perhaps satalite dish reception or mobile ph reception of wireless??

July 3rd, 2007, 19:29
ADSL means telephone line, to all intents and purposes. I guess your question might be "Broadband Internet access other than ADSL", in which case remember that Thailand isn't the West, with multiple options including cable on every corner. You can use your mobile phone as a modem for your computer and get faster-than-dial-up, not-as-fast-as-cable/ADSL via 1-2-Call (special access number, lower rates), or you can buy a Wireless Card and access from various providers. Both Loxinfo and Tue Move have Wi-Fi hot spots around the place for those with an account, plus the various cafes and bars that have their own hot spots. You can find a list of hot spots by Googling "Pattaya wifi hotspot"

Lunchtime O'Booze
July 3rd, 2007, 21:17
although you can tell me what message you want to send and I'll do it telepathically for a small fee.:argue:

Personally..I prefer using a telephone..when talking on the telephone. It gives me something to hold on to.

July 4th, 2007, 09:25
Yes it is available -- CAT offers an ADSL only line -- When I moved to my present location last November, I obtained CAT ADSL using their special promotion - free installation and 13th month free on signing a 12 month contract. Their monthly fee including VAT is 2,782 baht. Because my location was over 1km from their junction on Jomtien Beach Road, I did have to pay 2,400 baht for the extra line installation.

They are almost 3 times more per month than TOT or TT&T - BUT, folks I know that have TOT and TT&T ADSL often complain about slow connection speed (for broadband) as well as frequent outages. In the 8 months I have used CAT, I have had an outage only twice - both lasted less than 4 hours. My download speed everytime I have checked it exceeds 1000 Kbps and upload is greater than 400 Kbps. At my former location, TOT and TT&T was not available - I used IPStar Satellite connection through Loxinfo -- max download of around 200 Kbps and it cost me around 2,300 baht per month. With IPStar, I also experienced frequent outages lasting anywhere from a few hours to a full day - very frustrating.

July 4th, 2007, 09:36
So you see you do have options. I would like to know why you don't want telephone as part of adsl. It costs very little.
And is a good back up to mobile phones.
Nearly 3,000 baht is outrageous for any adsl service. Unless your filthy rich.
And speed ? Not that important. I have only 256 kps and it is very nice. Down time, once a month for a few hours. Maybe.

If you insist no telephone, then the satellite at about 2,000 is good.

TrongpaiExpat
July 4th, 2007, 16:42
Hutch air link. They have an office on South Pattaya Road just past Tuk com or whatever that computer store is called.

I think about 4000TB for the USB wireless modem and 1000TB per month.

Speed: 230.4 kbps

July 4th, 2007, 17:16
I never heard of a wireless that was worth a damn unless you were right on top of it. Beware.

TrongpaiExpat
July 4th, 2007, 17:42
Mine, Hutch, works fine. I live in Bangkok but have used it in Pattaya, Jomtiem, Hue Hin, Chiang Mai, Mai Hong Son and Phuket, Forget all of Issan though, no signal. I have never hit a dead spot in Bangkok.

July 5th, 2007, 15:58
Sounds like you have a winner with Hutch. Now tell me please about the speed. Any good or spotty?

TrongpaiExpat
July 5th, 2007, 16:27
Sounds like you have a winner with Hutch. Now tell me please about the speed. Any good or spotty?

230.4 kbps. Almost always a good connection with strong signal in Bangkok and Pattaya.

July 5th, 2007, 17:35

230.4 kbps. Almost always a good connection with strong signal in Bangkok and Pattaya.

hows the upload speed? the data services over cellphone networks (whether GSM/EDGE, CMDA1X or WCDMA) have pretty poor upload rates, much lower than the download bandwidth. but unless its really bad (<64kb/s), its only really an issue if you do a lot of uploading (such as webcams)

TrongpaiExpat
July 5th, 2007, 18:29

hows the upload speed? the data services over cellphone networks (whether GSM/EDGE, CMDA1X or WCDMA) have pretty poor upload rates, much lower than the download bandwidth. but unless its really bad (<64kb/s), its only really an issue if you do a lot of uploading (such as webcams)

I don't know. You mistake me for someone that knows more than than I do. Web cams work.

July 5th, 2007, 19:51
that don't require a telephone line. Thanks

Ya gotta have a telephone line. You COULD have a telephone line with the telephone service off.

It took me 4 days to fix a "no dial tone" problem once. TA weren't going very far to fix it, they were not replying, ignoring, not returning my calls etc etc because all they were doing was seeing that my adsl was working and assuming everything else had to be ok. That was not correct. They finally found the problem after I got the management involved and then TA claimed there was never a problem, did not apologize, of course - that would lose face.

If you got wireless then just try turning it on at home. There's a good chance one of the adsl networks you find will not have security enabled.