PDA

View Full Version : motorbike theft risk?

June 28th, 2007, 07:47
What is the risk of theft of rental motorbikes in Pattaya? Last time there I rented one for 2 weeks and never chained it up. Are they frequently stolen? Should one always lock them up or is this so easily defeated as to be useless? Or is the risk very low? Advice appreciated.

Doug
June 28th, 2007, 09:12
I always rent a small motorcycle when I am in Pattaya. I understand it's risky on many levels but the freedom is too much of a lure. I always lock my bike. With the newer bikes now it's much easier than the chain method. If you get a bike with front disk brakes you simply put a small lock through the holes in the disk. The bike can not roll with the lock in place. Thieves would have to lift the bike to steel it or take the time to cut the lock. Also the newer bikes lock the handle bars in a tight turn when the ignition key is turned off.

June 28th, 2007, 15:33
There was talk a while ago about scams from some of the motorbike rental places. Using their own key, they would "retrieve" the bike without the renter's knowledge. The renter, assuming the bike was stolen, would report it and have to reimburse the rental company for having lost the bike. Those rental companies, of course, had strict verbiage in the policy about compensating them if the bike went missing.

A padlock through the disc brake or a chain lock might not be a bad idea.

dab69
June 29th, 2007, 09:19
and miss he opportunity to tip cute motorbike boys that actually know where
they are going?

still don't understand, friend has a motorbike.
last year he said someone had stolen the license plate.
visited this year and still no license plate.
how can he drive for a whole year
with no license plate?

June 29th, 2007, 15:55
Make sure your motorbik is properly insured including theft.

Take pictures from all sides, especially numbers (number plate, manufacturer number etc.) and locks.

Lock your motorbike always.

I never lost one. But many take there bike always inside buildings from some reason.

tony279760-old
June 29th, 2007, 17:27
putting a padlock through the disc brake works as a theft deterent but can be an expensive option. If someone tries to move the bike, or, as happened in my case, you forget you've locked the bike, the disc is easily thrown out of line and will need to be replaced. It cost be 1,600 baht to replace the disc on a honda phantom.