PDA

View Full Version : ex Cop will come back from Cambodia

February 9th, 2006, 11:47
I didnt know Australia didnt have extradition from Cambodia,I wonder if this is the same for the UK and USA.Now I know where to run to if i dont want to pay my parking fines.Ex-cop 'returning to face charges'
A FORMER Australian Crime Commission (ACC) officer who fled the country after being accused of drug related corruption would voluntarily return home to face prosecution, a Sydney court has been told.

James McCabe, along with his ACC colleague Samuel Foster, was accused by the Police Integrity Commission (PIC) in 2004 of faking arrests to steal drugs and money from drug dealers.
Mr McCabe, a former Victoria police detective sergeant, fled to Cambodia where he is believed to have been operating a business since giving evidence to the PIC in 2004.

Australia has no broad extradition treaty with Cambodia.

Mr McCabe's lawyer, Tim Heenan, told Sydney's Downing Centre Local Court today his client would return to Australia after finalising his affairs in Cambodia.

"The only way this matter will come before the court ... is if he comes back voluntarily," Mr Heenan told the court.

Advertisement:
"He is short of money and he proposes to come back voluntarily to attend this notice but he tells me he needs at least 12 to 16 weeks to arrange his affairs."
The matter was adjourned to May 30 by Magistrate Helen Syme.

Mr Foster also is expected to face Downing Centre Local Court today.

From www.news.com.au (http://www.news.com.au)