PDA

View Full Version : Banana Lounge Cambodia

February 9th, 2006, 11:34
Anybody have any reports of the gay owned operated Banana lounge Hotel/guest house in Siem Reap?

llz
February 9th, 2006, 18:03
This report by Aaron Lawrence who staid there last October could be of interest
www.aaronlawrence.com/index.php/archives/2005/12/page/3/ (http://www.aaronlawrence.com/index.php/archives/2005/12/page/3/)

February 13th, 2006, 08:35
http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/fo ... ght=khorat (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2208&highlight=khorat)

Davey612
March 9th, 2006, 13:49
After I read Aaron Lawrence's account of Siem Reap in January, I decided to follow his route this February. A brief examination of his route showed that he ended in Phuket right after Siem Reap. I love Phuket. Looking at Bangkok Air's website, I realized that there is a flight that connect Siem Reap with Phuket, with a short stopover in Bangkok. Thai immigration procedures would be in Phuket. So, I just did that (Bangkok-Siem Reap-Phuket).

Ok, I won't repeat what Aaron Lawrence already described about the Golden Banana guest house. Let me say that it is extremely accurate. The Golden Banana has become quite popular (also because of the recommendation from the Lonely Planet guidebook). It has become so popular that a new building is being constructed next door.

So, here are my observations:

Before going to Cambodia, make sure your passport has at least one empty page for the Cambodia visa. My friend's passport was full (except the amendment's page). Bangkok Air refused to check him in, unless he signed a waiver. In the end, Cambodia authorities just glued the visa on the amendment page. But this is a risk we took.

Ok, once you land at Siem Reap's airport, you'll go to the line for visa on arrivals (i.e., if you did not get a visa previously from a Cambodian consulate). It is a painless process. Just hand the filled application, a passport photo, and $20 U.S (keep also $25 for the departure tax). Then you follow the line, and wait till another officer shows the processed passports.

After you pick up your passport, you go to Cambodian immigrations. Hand in the Cambodia entry/exit forms (similar to Thailand), and the $20 visa receipt to the officer. Then, that's it. There are motorcycle tuk tuks waiting (in our case, the Golden Banana arranged transportation).

Because the Golden Banana was full for the first day of our arrival, we were housed at a nearby guesthouse, the Green Garden guest house.

Aaron Lawrence was correct in stating that you basically go around Siem Reap with U.S. 1 bills. Everything seems to be either $1 or $2. Even if you run out of dollar bills, you can easily go to a bank and ask to change your higher U.S. denomination bills. Let me tell you, Thailand looks expensive after a day in Cambodia.

Ok, another tip that Aaron did not mention. If you just only want to see two days of Angkor Wat and are not willing to buy the 3-days ticket, then just buy the $20 one day ticket. It is actually valid for the late evening of the day before (after 4PM, I think), which you can go in and watch the sunset. That plus the next full day is more than enough for the casual temple visitor.

Aaron also mentioned the number of kids trying to sell you souverniers. They all have the same party line: "Mr., Mr., if I name the capital of the country that you give me, then you buy from me." Forget about doubting their knowledge. They know all the capitals of all the countries of the world and the universe. It is as if they have been trained by the same Khmer mafia school. Quite charming, but no, you just have to negotiate with them the same way as in Thailand.

As for the gay scene: There are two bars, Linga and Figo.

Linga is the older one and more popular. It is in a quieter alley. It usually has a set of Khmer guys (on the effeminate behavior side, if you have to ask) who happen to be freelancing. Some of the guys are also motorcycle drivers during the daytime. It seems to me that the relationship between taxi drivers and rent-freelancing is worldwide. Khmer guys are quite friendly. Those who know English know it better than the Thais. I believe it may have to do with the amount of NGOs setting camp in Cambodia.

The other bar, Figo, is nearby Linga. It is by a main street. Figo is owned by the owner of the Utopia-Asia website. He prides in making dishes using ingredients from his organic farm (when I was there, he was negotiating the purchase of elephant dunk, huh). Quite an interesting character, and made me the meanest Manhattan drink that I have ever seen. Figo has also its share of cute waiters. However, the guys who hang around Linga do not seem to come over here. It may be the layout of the place. What comes over there are some guys are are more of the masculine side. One or two will hang around the outside. It is here that both my friend and I met our Khmer Adonis. I swear that he would have easily become a model.

There is also a new disco called Zone One. It is where the in-people go. Quite a huge place, which reminds me of Thai discos. Most of the guys at Linga or Figo would love if you take them over there.

As for restaurants, Figo has good food. But if you want cheap Khmer dishes (i.e., one or two dollars), go to the Khmer Kitchen. If you want a $4 dinner, go to the Red Piano (very good Khmer steak). Oh, and our little secret for everyone to share - A very good Japanese restaurant called Molopou, which happens to have a sauna (hint, hint).

On a serious note, I just can't imagine the hardship that Cambodians have gone through the last twenty years or so. Every young person whom I talked have lost family members during those terrible years. Our Khmer Adonis lost his parents and he is the sole provider for a younger sister and brother. As I said to a friend of mine, among the Khmer smiles that I see, there is a shadow of sadness that you just feel to your bones.

lonelywombat
March 9th, 2006, 14:52
This is a great thread and most useful.

I have always been going to do this trip but never knew where to start

The link to Aaron Lawrence and the previous post this board, are both great but an up to date report confirming Aaron is tremendous

I hope this is put into the resource forum

Surfcrest
March 26th, 2006, 12:18
Please see "Siem Reap Recommendations" in the Resource Forum.

I stayed there last year and include information, photos and maps.

Surfcrest