PDA

View Full Version : Ko Samet

February 9th, 2006, 09:54
Has any-body gone to Samut Island for Holls ? Thinking of renting a car in BK and going in Easter. A lot of the guys (local) I met at Babylon said it was the nicest....but then we sometimes have a difference in what we baby guavas call nice :idea: Also any bungalows hotels of interest there?

C

February 9th, 2006, 22:08
Scroll down the subjects abit.. I posted a string awhile ago asking the same thing. Got quite a few answers.

February 9th, 2006, 22:10
You mean Samet or Samui?

elephantspike
February 9th, 2006, 23:07
Site search for "Ko Samet" dug-up these:

Ko Samet Hotels (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6799&highlight=samet)

Koh Samet тАУ a trip report (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1202&highlight=samet)

and;

Swicki Search (http://sawatdee-gay-thailand-swicki.eurekster.com/search?p=Q&w=ko+samet&sGroupKey=be52fe33-a930-4c7c-8285-d6265a720350&x=27&y=5) results For "Ko Samet"

February 10th, 2006, 09:03
Thanks a lot for the info everyone. It sounds good there. But maybe not quite the little gay island waiting to happen? The way the boys talked it sounded like they went there in droves.We are after nice unspoilt beaches plenty of natural splendour and interesting day trips, cultural or otherwise. Not really one of those sit on the beach all day types.

Maybe just the ticket?

February 10th, 2006, 09:48
I don't think there's much to do on Samet other than just sit on the beach.

elephantspike
February 10th, 2006, 10:17
During my first visit to Thailand, for the winter season of '99-'00, I brought a Thai guy from Pattaya to Ko Samet (yes it was his choice to go there). One of my fondest memories of that season is of my Thai friend teaching me how to catch crabs
(the edible kind! :albino: )
on the beach there. You have to kind of sneak-up on top of them and put your thumb down on the middle of their back. There's kind of a scientific method to it, apparently. I managed to catch one or two, but he just snatched them up like they were dead shells. All of our captured prisoners were promptly surrendered to the Som-Tam vendor conveniently located right there on the beach, who proceeded to smash the little buggers to smithereens in his mortar and pestle, along with fresh green pappaya and lime and garlic and tons of prik-kee-nu and nam-pla. Delicious! :geek:

Ko Samet is laid-back, yes, but it was just what the doctor had ordered for me at the time. It's not Pattaya or Patong, or even Samui or Pha Ngan, but it's a nice mellow get-away to spend a weekend getting acquainted with someone special.

Cedric: I hope that you don't mind that I have renamed this thread to "Ko Samet". I think it will rank well in Google for that term eventually now.

February 10th, 2006, 15:20
No problem Elephantspike. So thats what they do with those scrawny crabs, sounds good. Last time I caught crabs was in Gambia, here I used a large baseball type stick, the mangrove crabs are huge, big as a dinner plate with pincers like a monkey wrench, BF was very impressed, cooked the them over a little stick fire.

I am not so sure about Samet now. We didnt like Pattaya much. Loved it up north. I was thinking along the lines of an unspoilt Phuket. BF was there in the 80s and made it sound like heaven.

Any-way if enough romantic couples go there then it must be nice....no temples and night markets (even little ones) etc and waterfalls and smiling gentle people?