PDA

View Full Version : Laos travel info

June 16th, 2007, 06:44
I am considering a trip to Luang Prabong in mid September. The larger airlines do not fly to LP, but the Laos airlines (which does not have international certification) apparently does. Has anyone flown Laos airlines?
Any suggestions for a travel company to schedule a tour?
Would appreciate any pointers for such a trip.
Many thanks.

June 16th, 2007, 08:57
I was in Laos for Lunar New Year. Flew to Vientianne with Thai Air, then with Lao Air to Luang Prabang. Lao Air was fine, only small planes but they seemed to be quite new. My Lao friend advised against getting the bus to LPB as the said the roads are not so safe. You can fly direct to LPB from Bangkok (and I think from Ubonratchathani too) with Bangkok Air.
LPB is nice, people are nice. each year it gets invaded by western backpackers for the new year celebrations, its more crazy than Songkran in Khao San rd. I hope to go back soon to see LPB when its a bit more relaxed, and more chance to look around without having to avoid the water fights. The nearby waterfalls are supposed to be very beautiful, but when I was there they were all pretty much dried up.
They seem to accept Thai and US dollars as well as the Lao kip. They quote the visa price in $US, I am not sure if you have to pay in $US or if they will accpet baht there. The exchange rate is 10,000 kip to the $US, so you end up with millions of kip. Make sure you get rid of them before you leave Laos, as you cant echange them outside Laos. There are international ATMs in Vientiane, but I didnt find any in LPB so you will need to exchange money at the bank there.
Make sure you get a hotel close to the centre of town. We stayed a fair way out as everthing close and cheap was full, and getting tuk-tuks in and out of town was a pain in the ass (in a bad way). Its a great place to walk around, so small you can easily see the town on foot.
The one gay bar in town is called Khob Chai, owned by a German? guy but run by his cute Lao bf (who likes a drink and a flirt). Its a very small bar, but fun. And one of the waiters is EXTREMELY cute - its worth the trip there just to see him (he is either very shy or straight, but when you leave him a tip you will get the cutest smile from him). Across the road is a beer garden restaurant owned and run by the same couple, its nice but more mixed. When it gets busy, the shut down the bar and all of the staff go across to help in the beer garden.
Beer is very good and very cheap, but is usually served warm with ice as there doesnt seem to be a lot of refrigeration around. Tends to make you drink it faster before too much of the ice melts.
Anyway, LPB is a nice place. The contrast to Thailand is very noticeable, Bangkok is such a tidy organised, regimented place in comparison. Have fun.

June 16th, 2007, 10:54
DELETED

billyhouston
June 17th, 2007, 05:10
I visit Lao two or three times a year and like John (the previous poster) use the land border either going in, coming out or both. Last time I used the Thai limo service from Udon airport to the bridge, the price had increased to Bht150. Visa on arrival (flashy new stick-in label rather than the old stamp) is now $35 (during normal hours) but covers four weeks rather than two.

Lao Airlines are 'OK' but booking with them, over the internet, can be a bit of a pain. They do not have a secure server so they want a fax, sometimes to France and sometimes to Bangkok, for 50% of the fare. The balance is paid, in dollars, at the office in Vientiane. I would stick to their ATRs rather than the Chinese planes but that's a personal preference. Most flights between VTE and LPQ use the ATRs. My usual routing is VTE - LPQ - CNX or vice versa and in February this year that cost $137. The airline's safety procedures leave a little to be desired and the aircraft, whilst old, appear reasonably well maintained. The approach into Luang Prabang is 'interesting', in the sense of the Chinese curse, and I'd rather the visibility was good. Take off is better because the angle at which the aircraft climbs out is steeper and you are usually above the top of the ridge.

I have done the road journey from Vientiane to Luang Prabang by way of Vang Vieng and, while the scenery is stunning in parts, wouldn't recommend it. The road is sealed these days and it has been a long time since the Hmong attacks but it's too many hours sitting in a cramped, for someone who is tall, bus seat. Both places are wonderful and you will surely enjoy your time in the country.