PDA

View Full Version : How to say Pattaya

June 11th, 2007, 04:42
Dear experts - please advise what is the correct way to say Pattaya?

POT ee yah with accent on POT as my friend says or...

Puh TIE yah with accent on TIE as the taxi driver at the BKK airport said

or something else? Advice appreciated.

June 11th, 2007, 06:39
ok, tx then, Rain

June 11th, 2007, 07:38
Correctly in Thai it is pronounced "Pah-tah-ya" with the emphasis on the first syllable.

June 11th, 2007, 07:56
Every Thai person I hear puts the accent on the Last. Pot ti YAH. And thats over ten years now.

June 11th, 2007, 08:05
Every Thai person I hear puts the accent on the Last. Pot ti YAH. And thats over ten years now.

Sorry, but you're wrong.

June 11th, 2007, 08:32
How can I be wrong? I have lived here 10 years and know many Thai people. Have a 6 year relationship with a Thai. How can you say I'm wrong? What a freakin jerk.

June 11th, 2007, 08:41
How can I be wrong? I have lived here 10 years and know many Thai people. Have a 6 year relationship with a Thai. How can you say I'm wrong? What a freakin jerk.

If you want to compare Thai language bona fides, I'd be more than happy to.

If you cannot read or write Thai, though, it is easy for your ears to play tricks on you.

Believe what you want, but the accent is absolutely not on the last syllable. Actually, all three syllables are prounced more or less with equal emphasis, in staccato. There is a slight emphasis on the first syllable, but only slight. Definitely not on the last -- it is evidently clear both from the Thai spelling of the word and day-to-day pronounciation.

bkkguy
June 11th, 2007, 11:25
speaking of bullshit:

If you want to compare Thai language bona fides, I'd be more than happy to.

If you cannot read or write Thai, though, it is easy for your ears to play tricks on you.

stress rules in Thai are complex but vowel duration is the main cue signaling stress in Thai (see for example S. Potisuk, J. Gandour, and M. Harper, тАЬAcoustic correlates of stress in Thai,тАЭ Phonetica, vol. 53, pp. 200тАУ220, 1996) and with your bona fides and skillful reading of the Thai spelling I would have assumed that you would know that the last syllable is the longest vowel sound and is thus the stressed syllable!

Definitely not on the last -- it is evidently clear both from the Thai spelling of the word and day-to-day pronounciation.

since we are talking about a place name and not a pronoun I don't think pronounciation has any relevance - you should be focusing on the pronunciation instead!

bkkguy

June 11th, 2007, 11:38
Geenyus Did you pay attention to the wiseman about what he said ? If I was as smart I would have said the same thing. LAST is most.

Marsilius
June 11th, 2007, 11:45
I think you two ought to be discussing the pronunciation of the word.

As the correct spelling indicates, it has nothing specifically to do with pronouns!

June 11th, 2007, 12:08
Somewhere, on one of the message boards, I remember seeing it pronounced as Shitsville.
Shhhhh (long, rising tone) ... its (staccato, high tone) ... ville (long, falling tone)
:geek:

June 11th, 2007, 12:32
pha tha: low consonants + dead syllables = high tones
yaa: low consonant + live syllable = mid tone

To some English speakers' ears a short vowel with a high tone sounds like an accent; to others, a long vowel with a mid vowel does. Neither is the case. The thing is to pronounce the vowel in "yaa" long. The name will come out sounding all right if you do.

You are right on both counts boogyman

Up2U
June 11th, 2007, 13:05
pha tha: low consonants + dead syllables = high tones
yaa: low consonant + live syllable = mid tone

To some English speakers' ears a short vowel with a high tone sounds like an accent; to others, a long vowel with a mid vowel does. Neither is the case. The thing is to pronounce the vowel in "yaa" long. The name will come out sounding all right if you do.

You are right on both counts boogyman

Yes, and here are some examples in a few sentence. (Pattaya = phat tha yaa; high tone, high tone, middle tone)

http://thai-language.com/id/139148#def3

June 11th, 2007, 13:08
I agree with what others have said here: the final "a" is a long vowel while the others are short. That does not mean that it has more "emphasis". It is simply longer. If you're talking about emphasis (as we talk about it in English), there is a slight emphasis on the initial syllable, as it is a high tone -- just as said above.

PeterUK
June 11th, 2007, 13:42
Okay, I'll bite and join the fray. As correctly stated by other posters, Pattaya is pronounced as short high tone, short high tone and long middle tone. But the second of the short high tones is what my Thai teacher calls a 'half tone up', there being no vowel signified in the spelling. This produces the overall sound Pat (or Putt might be more accurate) tuh yaa, in which the emphasis to a farang ear is on the first and third syllables: PUTT-tuh-YAA.

June 11th, 2007, 13:49
I think you hit the nail on the head. That should make us all happy.

June 11th, 2007, 14:03
OK, then, boogyman: how about an apology now that you're satisfied?

Marsilius
June 11th, 2007, 14:27
Isn't it interesting, though, that those who ought to know but haven't actually been there (e.g. travel agents) - and even those who've actually been there (but maybe only once or twice or on a pretty superficial visit - e.g. TV travel show presenters) consistently refer to Pat-TAY-a. There must be something about the look of the word that, to English speakers taking a sheer guess at pronouncing it, makes them put the emphasis on the middle syllable.

[PS Another linguistic oddity: several posters here on this forum consistently refer to the Thai currency as, for example, sixty "bath" - and so do several written signs in Pattaya itself (I recall one on the door of a money changing office near OD Bowl, for example). Surely, at least as it is spoken, the word "baht" ends in a strong "t" sound - and a transliteration into alien characters ought to strive to get the closest approximation to that sound - or are the majority of us getting it wrong?]

June 11th, 2007, 14:44
The problem is that, semi-officially, an aspirated "t" sound is expressed with the letters "th". "Thailand" and "Thaksin", for example. So, you often see spellings such as "bath" and "Thai Rath" (the newspaper, pronounced "Thai Rut"). A stand-alone "t" is a different sound -- the letter "tor tao" in Thai. For example, "talad" meaning market.

"Bath" is therefore technically correct by the standard rules, but it is usually spelled "baht" because it makes more sense in English.

Same thing for "Pattaya" versus how it should really be spelled officiall ("Phatthaya").

June 11th, 2007, 14:59
Listen to the public address system in Home Mart hawking products. The girl says you can buy a thingamajing for only 100 BART.
Its plain as day. I don't fault her, she is trying to get her message across to us in her second language. Just felt like mentioning it before I have my 3 pm donuts.

puckered_penguin
June 11th, 2007, 16:16
Correctly in Thai it is pronounced "Pah-tah-ya" with the emphasis on the first syllable.

I am no expert but having spent so many waking hours in Sunnee Plaza. I am sure it should be Pah-tah-ya-bah

What I really hate is how the farang radio, TV stations and the advertisers mis-pronounce the damn place. Surely the boss of each station could set some pronounciation standards.

llz
June 11th, 2007, 17:10
The whole topic proves - if needed - that you cannot seriously speak thai if you don't write it. The thai writing system, once you have caught it, makes any mispronunciation almost impossible - with, of course, a few exceptions.

Smiles
June 11th, 2007, 20:18
My guy (Thai) pronounces it this way ... (and this is as close as I can get):

"putt - tai - yaah"

The first syllable is very sharp and heavily emphasised. (Rather like the english pronunciation of "bot - tle".) It's 'putt' as in golf putt ... not as in the english word 'put'.[/*:m:an5ouwlq]
The second two syllables kind of run into one another, but are heard separately [/*:m:an5ouwlq]
The "u" sound in 'putt' is not a heavily english 'u', but a combination of 'a' and 'u' sounds. [/*:m:an5ouwlq]
The last syllable has a secondary ~ but very slight ~ emphasis, and is also slightly elongated (but not much)[/*:m:an5ouwlq]
He probably speaks with an Isaan accent, so this pronunciation may not be universal.
His speaking of the word "Pattaya" is kind of a metaphor for me for the Thai (and Asian for that matter) sensibility in combining sounds and flavours . . . i.e. the 'hard' with the 'gentle' sound (and behavior), the 'sweet' with the 'sour' flavour: the first syllable is quite abrupt and hard, whereas the second two syllables are in a distinctly 'lowered' voice (for want of a better description) and sliding off into a calming gentleness.

Complicated, eh? There will be no general agreement here on the intricacies of pronouncing the word 'Pattaya' . . . and that's only one word! :blackeye:

Cheers ...

bkkguy
June 12th, 2007, 01:19
"Bath" is therefore technically correct by the standard rules, but it is usually spelled "baht" because it makes more sense in English.

I don't know where you got your "boner fides" from but I think it was a stall in the Phatphong talad!

whose "standard rules"?

tor tahan at the start of a syllable is commonly transliterated as "th", at the end of a syllable it can be transliterated as "t" for sound or "th" for literal translitation depending on the "standard" used

the long vowel in Baht is commonly transliterated as "ar" or "ah" or sometimes just "a" so you end up with transliterations of "b" "ah" "t" or 'b" "a" "th" and neither have anything to do with what makes more 'sense" in English!

Same thing for "Pattaya" versus how it should really be spelled officiall ("Phatthaya").

I alway thought "official" was spelt with one "l"

bkkguy

Jetsam
June 12th, 2007, 01:38
If you watch this song about Pattaya, you can hear clearly how it's pronounced , and that the PAT part is most sharp.

according to this song, you are right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GimemH4Ffuo

Jetsam
June 12th, 2007, 01:52
" I love Pat ti ya ,i love pat ti ya", does anyone know where that song is,it was sung by a lady?

Check the embedded vid in first post in this topic :clown:

http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/fo ... ew%20talay (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/bame-it-on-spike-another-poster-lost-for-the-board-t11063.html?highlight=view%20talay)

June 12th, 2007, 02:39
Pattaya,Pa-tye-ya=Gan Eden=gonif

get a life

Smiles
June 12th, 2007, 03:00
Pattaya,Pa-tye-ya=Gan Eden=gonif
" ... get a life ... "
Just love it when new Members (8 posts total) come on a Board and add such perspicacious and original observations.
Even regarding a Troll (659 posts). :blackeye:

And on another thread ... another cutting and memorable quote by the same poster:

" ... Duh do we care ... "

Oh joy. (to get back 'On Topic' click here: http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/fo ... tml#112728 (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/how-to-say-pattaya-t11963-15.html#112728)

Cheers ...

June 12th, 2007, 11:11
"I don't know where you got your "boner fides" from but I think it was a stall in the Phatphong talad!

My bona fides come in the form of an equivalency certificate from the Thai Ministry of Education.

And yours?

catawampuscat
June 12th, 2007, 11:12
There are two ways to pronounce Pattaya. boygeenyus is correct and it is surprising he argues such an obvious point.

Only the Brits and some of the Europeans use the second pronounciation and it sounds awful.
When will the Brits learn how to speak English? :cat:

June 12th, 2007, 11:25
There are two ways to pronounce Pattaya. boygeenyus is correct and it is surprising he argues

I suppose it because it pisses me off when someone calls me an "asshole" for trying to impart knowledge that I know is correct. You can't win on this forum.

TrongpaiExpat
June 12th, 2007, 12:02
There are two ways to pronounce Pattaya. boygeenyus is correct and it is surprising he argues

I suppose it because it pisses me off when someone calls me an "asshole" for trying to impart knowledge that I know is correct. You can't win on this forum.

Actually, it's pronounced arse-hole An ass is a donkey derived from Equus asinus.

June 12th, 2007, 14:41

Yeah, actually it a "jerk" that he called me. "How could I be wrong?"...who's the jerk now?

Smiles
June 12th, 2007, 19:30
" ... Only the Brits and some of the Europeans use the second pronounciation and it sounds awful.
When will the Brits learn how to speak English? ... "
90% (not scientific :blackeye: ) of the english speakers I've come across both in Thailand and here at home (including myself at one time) have pronounced 'Pattaya' incorrectly. Almost to a man (or woman), and including many more than just Brits, they say it like this:

'pa - TAI - ya'

Accent always heavily on the second syllable.
Completely wrong, but quite understandable . . . they're looking at a Thai word spelled "kinda" phonetically, and in their mind's eye automatically see it as they would see ~ and pronounce as they would pronounce ~ an average english word thrown at them out of the blue having spelling like 'pattaya'.

Cheers ...

Smiles
June 12th, 2007, 19:55
Its a bit like that word,"Affectation".
PM me on that, if you please mate.

Cheers ...

June 13th, 2007, 07:41
OK, now that we've got the official pronunciation(s) of "Pattaya," what's the correct pronunciation of "Sunnee."

I've heard "sunny," "sue-nay," "sun-NEE," and a host of other variations.

I've never seen the name written in Thai script to deduce the pronunciation.

June 13th, 2007, 07:54
OK, now that we've got the official pronunciation(s) of "Pattaya," what's the correct pronunciation of "Sunnee."

"Su-nee"

The "u" is a short vowel (sounds like cut off "oo"), the "ee" long. Equal emphasis, but as noted above English ears often construe the long vowel syllable as receiving more.

In Thai, the name can be spelled either สุนี or, more often สุนีย์. Not sure how they spell it at the Plaza, but the pronunciation is identical either way.

thrillbill
June 13th, 2007, 15:53
...in order to avoid which pronunciation to say...just say "Sin City"

June 13th, 2007, 15:56
...in order to avoid which pronunciation to say...just say "Sin City"

"Shitsville" works equally well.

June 13th, 2007, 21:57
"Su-nee"
Thanks, especially for including the Thai script. I can read Thai, and that cleared it up for me. Interesting that there is that second version, though -- is Sunee an imported word from another language?

June 13th, 2007, 22:15
Sanskrit, I assume.

Up2U
June 14th, 2007, 04:14

"Su-nee"

The "u" is a short vowel (sounds like cut off "oo"), the "ee" long. Equal emphasis, but as noted above English ears often construe the long vowel syllable as receiving more.

In Thai, the name can be spelled either สุนี or, more often สุนีย์. Not sure how they spell it at the Plaza, but the pronunciation is identical either way.

Sunee is a typical Thai nickname and means something like "good thing" or "good".

http://www.learningthai.com/dictionary/ ... names.html (http://www.learningthai.com/dictionary/vocab_thnames.html)

June 14th, 2007, 07:45
All this kerfuffle about Putt-thaiyah plus the song, has made me lust for a holiday. Any idea how to pronounce Koh Samui, I have been saying it like it is spelt for ever?
The mind boggles that the Americans in power in that fine country have even up and till now in their short history of colonisation of North-America never managed to pronounce anything correctly, but especially nauseating coming from them is the inability to pronounce the word Iraq, instead they say I-rack.

I always correctly and on principle pronounce America as FUCKHEAD, even if they can't get it right themselves.

June 14th, 2007, 08:04
Perhaps Cedric, if you found something to do besides post on this forum, you would not be so inclined to hate Americans.
The recognized most generous and giving people on the face of the freakin EARTH !

June 14th, 2007, 10:48
Perhaps Cedric, if you found something to do besides post on this forum, you would not be so inclined to hate Americans.
The recognized most generous and giving people on the face of the freakin EARTH !

Boogyman, blame it on the rain, and third worldly Hong-Kong "government", but even if I decided to pack a rucksack with a flask of brandy, comestibles to last possibly a weeks hike through the driving sludge up to my arse, my mind would not falter on the subject of FUCKHEADS or what I think of their generosity.

Dreaming of Thailand, up North this time.

Marsilius
June 14th, 2007, 11:49
Re. American's' pronunciation of unfamiliar countries' names, does anyone know whether the story about President Kennedy and Laos is genuine or merely apocryphal?

For those unfamiliar with it, it is said that the president was making a speech about the early development of the conflict in Vietnam. He wanted to refer to the neighboring country - but when he was informed that its name was pronounced Laos he refused to say it that way, on the grounds that he thought his fellow countrymen would not be able to take a country seriously if its name sounded the same as "louse". Hence he entirely unilaterally invented the pronunciation "Lay-oss" and that became (at least at that time) the standard American usage.

Anyone know whether it's just an old wives' tale?

June 14th, 2007, 12:29
Could be, but more importantly where are the deranged men like him with the metal and spunk that "modified" Kennedy's career in the end when you need them, all in "I-rack" I suppose, spending the whackos budget.

Aunty
June 14th, 2007, 13:30
You are right to bring up the failing of Americans' to pronounce the name of foreign countries correctly Cedric. How can they possibly be taken seriously as 'liberators' or 'leaders of the free world' when they can't say the name of countries and cities properly? Their lack of accuracy makes them look lazy, poorly educated, and ill-informed and unapologetic with it.
I-Rak

I-Ran

Mos Cow

Nukkular

Buey (Buoy - It's BOY you dumb fuckers!)

June 14th, 2007, 14:12
You have based your entire feelings about a country of 300,000,000, hard working, non-sniveling (like you) people on how they pronounce a few words. Wonderful, thereafter I shall hang onto each word from you as coming from an educated, perfect individual you think you are.

Tell me this, all knowing one, which country speaks the correct English? And why? Hint: He who spoke it first is not a good reason.[/quote][/u]

June 14th, 2007, 14:17
What crap is coming out of the mouths of N.Zeelunders... I have a good smile when I hear the e and I pronounced in that fashion. Like nothing anywhere in the English speaking world. And yet, I don't fault a whole tribe for how they speak. Don't call them lazy or whatever. I prefer the high road.

Aunty
June 14th, 2007, 15:50
What crap is coming out of the mouths of N.Zeelunders... I have a good smile when I hear the e and I pronounced in that fashion. Like nothing anywhere in the English speaking world. And yet, I don't fault a whole tribe for how they speak. Don't call them lazy or whatever. I prefer the high road.

Zealand is a word of Dutch origin not English. New Zealand was named after Zeeland, a province in Holland, by Abel Tasman in 1642.

New Zealanders, the equivalent of lazy and poorly educated Americans, pronounce it - New Zillund.

If you're only meeting New Zealanders of that persuasion, well it doesn't say much about the company you keep!

June 14th, 2007, 16:53
Are you telling me that all N.Z. landers are not equal? Some better than others? Then how is it you lumped all Americans into one cesspit of stupidity?

To all who bad mouth Americans I say how much did your country contribute to the fight against aids so far? How many young men did you sacrifice in wars to liberate the downtrodden? How many times has your country landed on the moon?
OK, the moon landing was useless but the brains of Americans and one German made it possible.

June 14th, 2007, 17:30
Bogey man, its got nothing to do with English, even I pride myself on being able to speak at least five dialects of the stuff, but when I speak of other peoples nations and nationalities I do of course use their pronunciation, that is the correct one, and do not give them some god awful Americanism. You would have thought whilst occupying a country that they might have picked up the proper pronunciation by now, at the very least their half wit leader should have.

Middle America at its worst, yes I can easily take a nice big swipe at all of em dumb fucks that make up the majority of that land. There are of course the exceptions, most present company included.
You might not know but the vast majority of soldiers fighting in "I-rack" draw a direct line from Saddam to "seven eleven" are we pig shit stir cracked or what? Ga ga land of plenty, massive plague of obesity, fight to the end blah blah blah etc

June 14th, 2007, 19:27
I know its a cheap and easy shot, but if the US elects George W Bush as President how can they retain any credibility on anything? Even if only 25% of the population bother to vote in the greatest democracy in the world, and he didnt even need 50% of them to get in the first time.

June 14th, 2007, 21:47
Even if only 25% of the population bother to vote in the greatest democracy in the world, and he didnt even need 50% of them to get in the first time.

The "greatest democracy" in the world? Whatever could you mean by that? India is the largest if thats what you mean?
Yea yea yea, we was robbed. Makes no difference, who passed the war budget? The Democrats are a pile of crap, Clit looks like a living "spitting image" goon, handed the republicans power on a plate? What a load of rancid majora "jerky".

June 15th, 2007, 02:33
Well how can you retain credibility voting for Aussie PM Wanker Little Johnny Howard and his Liberal Party?
Agree 110%. I didnt vote for the prick, but he is the one out there representing Australians (cringe). I am hopefull that this time the Labor Party has put up a feasible candidate - Kevin Rudd looks likely to do the job. Who was the Labor candidate last time anyway, I cant recall?

June 15th, 2007, 02:54
As usual a thread started in one direction was quickly taken off topic. So I will put my two cents in here. I am an American. I am not always proud of that fact. We certainly have had a poor crop of leaders in the last 20 years, made big mistakes and maybe we don't always pronouce placenames correctly. (That probably has more to do with the idiots that translate the words into English to begin with. If someone had spelled I-raq or I-ran like E-raq or E-ran then maybe it would at first glance make more sense. Let's not have a lesson in the sound of vowels, please. I am no scholar on languages but it seems to me the British made their share of mistakes during their colonial period in getting the names spelled in English more closely to how they sound in the native languages. So who perfect?)

The European nations all tried their hand at sticking their noses into places they did not belong during colonial times. Ran those colonies like masters and were quite brutal to the local peoples. For all its mistakes, the United States has not tried to rule other countries in the way the colonial powers did. After WW II, in both Japan and Germany the US helped rebuild those countries. The US paid for the rebuilding of most of Europe after WWII. The US gives more money to more nations than most of the world combined. Sure we have our reasons and that generosity is not always without strings, BUT we have no ambitions in being the master of the world.

One may not like all the policies of the American government and believe me I could go on for hours about the mistakes that have been made but there is no reason to go comdemning the hardworking guy from middle America busting his ass to make it thru life.

So those of you that get enjoyment from bashing America get off your high horse and put a lid on it. Anyone can find fault with any nation but all nations have hardworking people just trying to make a living and raise a family. That does not make them stupid. The "elite" of this board can't even come to terms with the pronounciation of Pattaya much less solve real issues. I would dare say that if you travelled across Thailand you would get variations in the pronounciation of many words just like occurs in every country including the USA.

Smiles
June 15th, 2007, 03:27
. . . though one would think it would be a fairly reasonable ~ and a common sense thing to do ~ that the President of the United States (who made the final decision to attack a country ~ in this case Iraq) might think to 'ask around' at the CIA or the State Department (or wherever) if they could perhaps send some language expert over to the house to give him the skinny on how to properly pronounce the name of the country being bombed into the stone age. Slightly insensitive not to have bothered, in my books.

All hell has been breaking loose in Iraq now since 2003, and Bush is still pronouncing it "Eye-raaak". You'd think someone would whisper in the dunderhead's ear that he's getting it all wrong . . . every time. I'm surprised Nouri al-Maliki hasn't. (I wonder how he pronounces that?)

Cheers ...

Impulse
June 15th, 2007, 05:22
As an American,I would like to defend our great President.Since we invaded Eyeraaak,I think we can call it whatever we like to.Since it has no power left to it,and its in its infancy as a new democracy,we might call it a baby-like cuntreee. Maybe Babyback-eyerack-ribs or something similar.We should open up steakhouses thru-out eyeraaack and teach them a real Texas like barbeque.When those muslims taste a real steak they will all come around to our type of free democracy.Maybe introduce American football,I mean real football that you throw with your hands,not that boreing soccer they play in Ingluund. :bounce:

bkkguy
June 15th, 2007, 09:28
A countries greatness is judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi

out of the mouths of babies may come oatmeal, and out of the mouths of the wise may come pearls cast before swine, but fortunately for America, the greatness of a nation is not judged by they way it treats its language!

bkkguy

francois
June 15th, 2007, 10:04
As Bob T said, this thread is way off track so I also will add a few bahts worth of opinion. Regarding the correct pronunciation of cities and countries I believe all English speakers anglicize the pronunciation to suit themselves rather than use the correct version. By correct I mean the way a native speaker would pronounce his countries or cities names. Do the Italians pronounce Italy as foreigners? Do Germans say Germany? Brits and Americans never pronounce Paris as a Frenchman. Canadian Anglophones cannot even pronounce Montreal correctly. And just how does an Iraqi pronounce Iraq?

Aunty
June 15th, 2007, 18:50
How many young men did you sacrifice in wars to liberate the downtrodden?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYljPCk5_yU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQV0c2D0Lho

And for more recent events:-

In December 2004, New Zealand's crack SAS special forces units operating in Afghanistan received a presidential citation for "extraordinary heroism" in action.

The citation said SAS units helped "neutralise" Taliban and al Qaeda in "extremely high risk missions (including) search and rescue, special reconnaissance, sensitive site exploitation, direct action missions, destruction of multiple cave and tunnel complexes, identification and destruction of several known al Qaeda training camps, explosions of thousands of pounds of enemy ordnance."

"They established benchmark standards of professionalism, tenacity, courage, tactical brilliance and operational excellence while demonstrating superb esprit de corps and maintaining the highest measures of combat readiness."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presidenti ... tation_(US (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presidential_Unit_Citation_(US))

As for Iraq, this country declined to be involved on the grounds that a convincing legal case under international law (about Iraq's weapons of mass destruction) which would allow an invasion, had not been made. As it turned out, we were right. Unfortunately, the US, the UK and Australia (among others) were wrong.

Marsilius
June 15th, 2007, 19:51
"A countries [sic.] greatness is judged by the way it treats its animals" - Ghandi. [See Rocket's post above.]

That may be so, but Winston Churchill gave, I think, an even better yardstick: "The mood and temper of the public with regard to the treatment of crime and criminals is one of the unfailing tests of the civilization of a country."

By that standard, the USA (and, for that matter, Thailand - though, with fewer resources, perhaps more excuse) fails despairingly to be a "civilised" nation.

June 15th, 2007, 23:46
By that standard, the USA ... fails despairingly to be a "civilised" nation.)

Yeh, but if you drop by Guantanamo you'll find that they treat those they can't convict of any crime far worse. The day the Americans can call any nation to account for the treatment of it's own or other peoples is LONG GONE.

And what do the Brits stand accused of here? Failing to call Paris, Paree - purleese.

francois
June 16th, 2007, 03:08
And what do the Brits stand accused of here? Failing to call Paris, Paree - purleese.[/quote]

Dear hah hah hah; If you are referring to my previous comments regarding the anglicizing the pronunciation of foreign cities and countries by English speakers perhaps you miss my point? For one thing when I referenced English speakers that includes all who use English as a first language not just those from England. Secondly my point is the correct pronunciation of a city or country is that by a native speaker and even that varies from region to region. Those who presume that their pronunciation is the only correct way are just that, presumptuous!

This matter of nation bashing by many on this forum and in this post is truly despicable and childish. When in Pattaya I associate with French, Americans, Germans, Australians, New Zealanders and Brits and have found all of them to be fine people and in general hold to the same values. One thing in common to all I know is their condemnation of the policies of the Bush administration but that does not affect the bonds of fraternity and friendship we share as individuals or nations.

Francois (frahng-swah)

elephantspike
June 16th, 2007, 03:57
This matter of nation bashing by many on this forum and in this post is truly despicable and childish. When in Pattaya I associate with French, Americans, Germans, Australians, New Zealanders and Brits and have found all of them to be fine people and in general hold to the same values. One thing in common to all I know is their condemnation of the policies of the Bush administration but that does not affect the bonds of fraternity and friendship we share as individuals or nations.

Bien dit, Francois. Merci, beaucoup!

Jetsam
June 16th, 2007, 04:34
For the ones that can not watch youtube. I posted the song on dailymotion

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2a2wh_pattayaflv

PATta yaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

elephantspike
June 16th, 2007, 05:13
To-may-toh, to-mah-tah, Pa-tah-ya, Pa-tay-ta, let's call the whole thing off!

June 16th, 2007, 10:37
I am an American. I am not always proud of that fact. We certainly have had a poor crop of leaders in the last 20 years, made big mistakes and maybe we don't always pronouce placenames correctly. If someone had spelled I-raq or I-ran like E-raq or E-ran then maybe it would at first glance make more sense.
USA.

No it wouldn't you dolt, its pronounced IE-RUN, IE-RUCK not i-ran or i-raq , and roll your R's. Poor excuse, "those that original translated the words into English"???? Just use the same pronunciation they do, it will go a long way to displaying even a modicum of understanding of things beyond your own freaking border line. If the Canadians can do it so can you.

June 16th, 2007, 10:51
And what do the Brits stand accused of here? Failing to call Paris, Paree - purleese.

Dear hah hah hah; If you are referring to my previous comments regarding the anglicizing the pronunciation of foreign cities and countries by English speakers perhaps you miss my point? For one thing when I referenced English speakers that includes all who use English as a first language not just those from England. Secondly my point is the correct pronunciation of a city or country is that by a native speaker and even that varies from region to region. Those who presume that their pronunciation is the only correct way are just that, presumptuous!

Francois (frahng-swah)
[/quote]

Should the British decide to launch a full scale illegal attack on gay Paree and occupy Fonce and try and steal their natural resources, then I am sure they will also learn to say it like its meant to be said, "froggyland" in a modern context of the English language of course. In the meantime America get the fcuk outta "I-Rack", in yer face mate.

elephantspike
June 16th, 2007, 13:49
Well, for the record, I happen to be very much against the war in Iraq (or howver-the-fuck-you-pronounce-it)

I am absolutely dismayed, however, at the level of nationalistic hatred being flung around here lately on this and other threads. This (Coming from Cedric (who I thought was a gentleman) is just frankly shocking):

Should the British decide to launch a full scale illegal attack on gay Paree and occupy Fonce and try and steal their natural resources, then I am sure they will also learn to say it like its meant to be said, "froggyland" in a modern context of the English language of course.

I'm closing this thread. I'm probably going to close the board soon, too, because most of you guys are complete pricks, and I have better things to do with my time.

Jetsam
June 16th, 2007, 13:53
I'm closing this thread. I'm probably going to close the board soon, too, because most of you guys are complete pricks, and I have better things to do with my time.

http://images.fok.nl/s/nopompom.gif

elephantspike
June 16th, 2007, 14:37

http://images.fok.nl/s/nopompom.gif

Is there an echo in here ?

June 16th, 2007, 18:09
Having a rough day, Mr.Spike? We all do, perhaps not quite so publicly, though. <g>

Chin up! We'd surely miss you and the board!