PDA

View Full Version : Catholic churches in Bangkok/Pattaya/Chiang Mai?

February 9th, 2006, 03:34
While I won't pretend that I am going to LOS for a traditional "religious" experience (though I do hope to prove the existence of God on a daily basis - twice if I'm lucky!) I may decide I wish to attend Mass while there. Not being sure yet which of the three above cities I would be in on a Sunday I am wondering if anyone knows the location of Catholic churches - and whether there are any services in English.

The English part isn't strictly necessary because the Catholic liturgy is set up in such a way that, if you know it, you'll be able to follow what is happening.

And, yes, I know I would need to go to confession first!

February 9th, 2006, 03:48
aaaaah Clawdaddy,your not one of those priests we read about are you?
Must admit i havnt been to Church for about 30 years.
Went to a Synagoue a few years ago to have a look inside it and some bloke with a beard in there wanted to lend me money.
You say your going twice a day? Mate your really into it.How do u tell the priest your a wooly moof? Maybe he s one too.You could meet him and go to boystown together.No i respect your religious beliefs but i think you should know that if there is a God ,word is he doesnt like poofs.Im not a full on poof as i like ladies and katoeys so im ok but you better go there and tell the priest if its ok to still belong otherwise you break the membership rules.Just walk in ,and ask him face to face.

February 9th, 2006, 04:09
No, not a priest - thankfully

The religious experiences I was referring to had nothing to do with going to church - although there may well be a lot of "O Gods!" spoken - or moaned.

Re: God v. Poofs - the main problem is that religion is the construct of man - and the ladyboys in the Vatican have allowed their self-loathing to get in the way of the supposedly-preached concept of "God is Love."

It isn't easy to reconcile being catholic and gay if you are going to stick to ultra-orthodoxy - but I have tried, as an adult, to approach my faith with an eyes-opened approach. I concur with Victor Frankl in that man (humanity) searches for meaning in one form or the other - and for me the superstitions are most readily assuaged within the Roman Catholic liturgy.

February 9th, 2006, 05:56
I am wondering if anyone knows the location of Catholic churches - and whether there are any services in English.

In Pattaya, the church is on Sukhumvit Rd, on the Bangkok bound side, opposite Index Mall. Several services over the wekend, some in English. Can find out the times if need me to.

yaraboy
February 9th, 2006, 06:06
Bangkok.Convent Rd corner Satorn...............Also a Catholic Hospital and Nunnery on Convent. Everything you might need!

February 9th, 2006, 07:20
The Assumption Cathedral in Bangkok is a good place for a Catholic. It is grand and beautiful.

Assumption Cathedral is near the river, in the same soi as The Oriental Hotel, which most taxi drivers in Bangkok know. (Pronounce it Orien-tann Hotel).

I googled for you:

http://www.stjohn.ac.th/Department/info ... edule.html (http://www.stjohn.ac.th/Department/info/ch_schedule.html)

February 9th, 2006, 08:02
The English part isn't strictly necessary because the Catholic liturgy is set up in such a way that, if you know it, you'll be able to follow what is happening.
Yes, the blood sacrrifice is the same the world over, isn't it? Why is God such a bloodthirsty old cunt?

February 9th, 2006, 10:51
Yes, the blood sacrrifice is the same the world over, isn't it? Why is God such a bloodthirsty old cunt?

Well - omniscience means that reading mystery novels is pretty much a useless pursuit - he already knows whodunit - so gotta find your fun where you can!

And thanks to all who have replied for your most helpful info!

February 9th, 2006, 11:05
DELETED

February 9th, 2006, 11:29
No it's not!

Sorry John, I should have said almost opposite

February 10th, 2006, 16:18
Bangkok:
The Church on the corner of Convent and Sathorn is the Anglican church, not Roman Catholic. I wouldn't advise anyone to attend that, as the "priest" there is a rabid homophobic, fundamentalist evangelical.

The main two Catholic churches are Assumption Cathedral (nr. the Oriental Hotel), and Holy Redeemer (Soi Ruam Rudee). Both have Masses in English.

Chiang Mai:
A rather beautiful modern Cathedral (Sacred Heart, I think) is located on the bank of the Mae Ping, south-east of the city centre - Mass in Thai only. English Mass is at the Seven Fountains Centre near Chiang Mai University.[/u]