PDA

View Full Version : From today carry your passport at any time ...

June 9th, 2007, 20:06
I just got the following Email. It's no need to discuss this. Sometimes it's just wise to follow the logic.
I recommended many time to take a photocopy of passport, visa and arrival card with you but this times, I need to revise this, please read:

Effective this date, the Thai government is starting to go around and checking entertainment places, restaurants and every place else that falangs may gather or get together. Those that are going around are legitimate government employees that speak good to excellent English. I emphasize that for a reason: No more saying "I don't understand" or having your Thai Wife or Girlfriend step in and speak for you. No longer can that be an excuse... at least with this group that is going around.

What is the impact on falangs? Simply this: They want to see your passport. Not a perfect color copy of it - but the actual passport. You can give them any reason you want to for not having the passport with you - and they are quick to remind you that you are in Thailand and it is Thai Law that you produce your passport when requested to do so.

Why is the passport so important? The boys that I spoke with tonight had a file folder about 3/4 inch thick full of picutes and passport information about falangs that are wanted in their home countries for any number of different crimes - no doubt pedos being the number one. If they can compare the passport with the information in their file - then you are GONE.

The man that I spoke with tonight told me that he had spent 2 years in Michigan - and that he had to follow Michigan Laws and US Laws - so therefore it was my obligation or duty to follow Thai laws to the letter. Hard to argue with that type of logic when presented to me by the officer...

Yes, Thailand is changing. Despite what some here might say, I would say that it is more of an end to the era of "see no evil - say no evil." This is NOT an active campaign against falangs. This is NOT part of Thailand being less falang friendly. This is Thailand deciding to enforce the laws that are already on the books to make sure that only quality people live here.

On a side note - even the police are starting to crack down on falangs. You can - possibly - get a warning the first time. Second time, for something somewhat major - something that would put you in jail in your home country - more than likely, you will go to the Monkey House and then face deportation.

To avoid problems - carry your passport with you - or have it readily accessable. When it gets close to the legal closing time (1:00 AM) - get your self on the way home. But be careful with that one too - there are plans in the works to set up traffic stops as well. Here in Thailand - 50mg of alcohol in your blood / breath is classified as "drunk driving." For Thais - and that is all that they have run the tests on to my knowledge - that comes out to about 4 small beers - or 2 large beers. No idea about spirits, or with larger people. Naturally, metabolism, last time you ate, body size, etc can affect the reading - so make your own judgments.

So - everyone here has been warned. Up to you now.

Doug
June 9th, 2007, 20:38
Oh, golly gee, mother....do I have to? I just don't want to. If you make me, I'll hate you for ever.

TrongpaiExpat
June 9th, 2007, 20:40
So, one man (Thai?) tucked way up there in Udon who's claim to authority is having spent two years in Michigan is sufficient to make a bold font large print proclamation?

I'll wait for a more reputable source like the Bangkok Post :drunken:

June 9th, 2007, 22:13
oh my Buddha
Have just arrived from Thailand, being there for 3 weeks. Was in BKK, Chiang Mai, Pattaya, Koh Samed and BKK, not one police or security contacted me for ID. The only one time I had contact with this kind of persons, was when I asked a policeman the direction to a street, he asked me if I want lady, because then he would joint me, he he, he was on duty. Of course I refused, he was not even handsome.
Well maybe they do this control in the biggest whorehouse in the world=Pattaya, but in Bangkok the only one who had to show ID was my Thai friends, I was waved through any control.

June 9th, 2007, 22:28
I just got the following Email. It's no need to discuss this. .[/size]

And from which eminent authority did this supposed email originate?

Maybe from a friend of a friend of a friend?

Jetsam
June 9th, 2007, 22:39
Well maybe they do this control in the biggest whorehouse in the world=Pattaya, but in Bangkok the only one who had to show ID was my Thai friends, I was waved through any control.

Bangkok is the biggest whorehouse, Pattaya is just small in comparison, but because of that it seems that there are more hookers on everty square meter in Pattaya than in Bangkok and probably that is true , oh wel never mind. And btw if you not like it you can always write a complaint letter to spike.

Boxer
June 9th, 2007, 22:40
Good info ttom but fully discussd here with 1977 viewers and 52 contributions back on 25th May when news first broke.

http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/fo ... 11776.html (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/carrying-passports-again-and-90-days-reporting-t11776.html)

TrongpaiExpat
June 9th, 2007, 23:10
I just got the following Email. It's no need to discuss this.

Absolutely, what do you guys think this is a discussion board or something?

Move along nothing to see here.

June 10th, 2007, 01:56
Good info ttom but fully discussd here with 1977 viewers and 52 contributions back on 25th May when news first broke.

http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/fo ... 11776.html (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/carrying-passports-again-and-90-days-reporting-t11776.html)

Thank you very much, Boxer.
I am very sorry. I didn't intend to create any nonsense. Against my previous advise it’s better to carry original passports instead of spending some time at a police station.

Doug
June 10th, 2007, 08:10
TTom wrote: "it├п┬┐┬╜s better to carry original passports instead of spending some time at a police station."

I'm not sure about that. First, which is more likely...the police ask for you passport, do not accept the copies and take you to the police station...OR...your passport is lost or stolen or badly damaged requiring a trip to Bangkok to the embassy at what cost in money and time. I'd chose the former.

June 12th, 2007, 03:55
Personally, I would not be too happy with carrying my passport with me all the time here in England, never mind when not in my home country.
Credit cards can be cancelled if picked out of your pocket - but you'd be in for a lot more messing around if someone nabbed your passport... :cwm10:

Are they planning this stop-check 'crackdown' as a permanent initiative? or will they lose interest eventually?
Not that I have anything to hide (my criminal record is as clean as a slate), but it's a bit of a pain :p

June 12th, 2007, 05:32
An earlier message which may have been in another thread said that Thai lawyers agree that you DO NOT have to carry your passport with you, but that it must be available to be seen. This means that it is OK to leave it with your hotel or in your room as long as you can get at it straight away. Apparently its all in the small print of the law. Of course, if you wanted to explain all this you would want to be confronted with an English speaking official. I suspect the Immigration police would have such people available.
The Immigration police will tell you that a copy of the passport will not do, simply because they will want to be able to match up the visa with it. The tourist visa stamp never records name or passport number.

June 12th, 2007, 08:26
Is it acceptable to carry a photocopy of the name/photograph page of one's passport and a photocopy of one's current visa, perhaps on the reverse side of the passport copy?

June 12th, 2007, 08:34
be simpler to contact Immigration at Pattaya and ask them. Does anyone know anyone in Immigration or person of authority that could ask?

TrongpaiExpat
June 12th, 2007, 13:16
be simpler to contact Immigration at Pattaya and ask them. Does anyone know anyone in Immigration or person of authority that could ask?

And, you expect a consistent answer? Your not in Kansas.

June 12th, 2007, 19:58
Not that I have anything to hide (my criminal record is as clean as a slate)
That's an oxymoron. If you have a criminal record it can't be as clean as a slate :geek:

June 18th, 2007, 01:38
Not that I have anything to hide (my criminal record is as clean as a slate)
That's an oxymoron. If you have a criminal record it can't be as clean as a slate :geek:

Correction:

"I do not have a criminal record, therefore I have nothing to worry about on that front"

Is that better? :geek: