PDA

View Full Version : Gay Adoption

June 4th, 2007, 09:56
Does anyone know if gay international adoption is at all a possibility in Thailand or know of anyone who has done it?

bucknaway
June 4th, 2007, 10:04
Child Adoption From Thailand
In addition to child adoption domestically, many prospective adoptive parents look overseas for their child adoption options. One country where foreign child adoption has grown popular in recent years is Thailand. However, the child adoption process in Thailand is fairly involved.

Child adoption from Thailand is not a simple procedure. It may take up to two full years for the processing of the Thai child adoption procedures are met. (This does not even take USA immigration child adoption laws into consideration) These statements are not designed to discourage one from taking part in ThailandтАЩs child adoption program, it is merely provided so one can understand the process involved.

Under ThailandтАЩs law, there are four major requirements that a foreign couple must meet in order to process a child adoption claim: The couple must be married; the couple must be at least fifteen years older than the child they wish to adopt; the couple must be at least twenty five years of age; and the couple must meet their country/stateтАЩs domestic eligibility requirements to adopt.

Additional supplementary requirements include a variety of substantiating documents (proof of citizenship, marriage, legal status, etc) must accompany all the required forms that must be submitted to the Thai Embassy and to the United States Department of State. As stated before, the child adoption procedures in Thailand are more involved than those in other countries.

Thai child adoption via the Thai government must be processed through the Child Adoption Center of the Department of Public Welfare. Private child adoption agencies are limited to the following three: the Holt Sahathai Foundation; the Thai Red Cross Foundation; and the Pattaya Orphanage.

For complete requirements and further information regarding Thai adoptions, it is recommended to contact the Department of State as it may provide the most detailed and complete answers available.

http://www.childadoptionguide.org/Child_Adoption.html

June 4th, 2007, 11:20
The simple answer is, NO. It is nearly impossible for any Farang that is straight and married to adopt. Single adoption is not allowed under Thai law. A Thai woman married to a Farang can adopt, but only with the permission of her husband. And a big BUT here...the Farang is not an adoptive parent only the Thai woman is the adoptive parent under the law.

June 4th, 2007, 11:24
Let me guess...you're looking to adopt a boy?

Aunty
June 4th, 2007, 12:02
Does anyone know if gay international adoption is at all a possibility in Thailand or know of anyone who has done it?

Let me guess...there's a special thirteen year-old Thai boy in your life?

Well initially those were my thoughts too, but then in the absence of all the facts one should not let ones more base prejudices come to the fore.

I think a gay adoption from Thailand would have about as much chance of success, as an outdoor ski field in Udon Thani.

From what bucky posted above there are at least two requirements you must satisfy before they will even take into account your sexuality.

1. Are you legally married to your partner (do you even have a partner?). That presupposes that Canada has legalised same-sex marriage on the same footing as hetero-marriage. If it doesn't, you're fucked.

2. Can gay men/couples legally adopt in Canada, and more importantly do you meet the adoption criteria there? If no to either of those, you're fucked as far as I can see and that's even before we start to talk about the touchy subject of gay men adopting children from pedophilliaistan, SE Asia.

June 4th, 2007, 18:21
... but you need to analyse your situation carefully with an very well proven Thai lawyer. It will be a lengthy, wicked and complicated process.

Adoption of an adult is also possible with consent of "child" parents. This happened sometimes in order to ease inheritances.

Smiles
June 4th, 2007, 18:45
" ...From what bucky posted above there are at least two requirements you must satisfy before they will even take into account your sexuality.

1. Are you legally married to your partner (do you even have a partner?). That presupposes that Canada has legalised same-sex marriage on the same footing as hetero-marriage. If it doesn't, you're fucked.

2. Can gay men/couples legally adopt in Canada, and more importantly do you meet the adoption criteria there? If no to either of those, you're fucked as far as I can see and that's even before we start to talk about the touchy subject of gay men adopting children from pedophilliaistan, SE Asia ... "

Same sex marriage is the law of the land in Canada and it is recognized as equal to straight marriage in every sense. So if 'Canuk' is married to his partner, that takes care of one proviso. Gay couples can adopt in Canada under the same criteria as straight couples.

The problem I think would be that, as far as being "married" is concerned, Thailand would probably not recognize such a marriage vis-a-vis a potential adoption. I think Canuk is probably hooped on that alone.

(But who knows for sure .... TiT)

Cheers ...

June 4th, 2007, 18:46
I think he's trying to adopt a partner...

lonelywombat
June 4th, 2007, 19:10
Let me guess...you're looking to adopt a boy?

Do tell us boy smart ars why you got knocked back and why you are so bitter.

We all know you would present a negative side to everything you do
and we do not blame the Thais for knocking you back for adoptionobviously of a boy.

It is a wonder they let you live in their country

June 4th, 2007, 19:16
Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post, and to those who provided useful comments. Is there any movement in Thailand to confer equal rights to same-sex couples in Thailand? Are there currently any politicians that have spoken out in favor of gay adoption?

June 4th, 2007, 19:42
It isn't even on the horizon.

June 4th, 2007, 20:18
Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post, and to those who provided useful comments. Is there any movement in Thailand to confer equal rights to same-sex couples in Thailand? Are there currently any politicians that have spoken out in favor of gay adoption?

Canuck,

If you are in Pattaya, Go to Argyle apartments on Pratumnak Hill.[ on the top of the hill, between Soi 5 and 6.]

There's is one of the partners there, his name is Ben.

Alternatively google it, and leave a message/e mail. . I've read your post and requirements and he fits all the critieria.

He can provide all the information you require. He has been,seen, and managed to do it.

June 5th, 2007, 18:51
Kquill,

Thank you so much...this was exactly the type of contact I was hoping for!!! If you are a friend or acquaintance of Ben, and if it is not to much trouble, please let him know I'll be in touch.

Again, thanks for your help!!!

June 5th, 2007, 19:00
Kquill,

Thank you so much...this was exactly the type of contact I was hoping for!!! If you are a friend or acquaintance of Ben, and if it is not to much trouble, please let him know I'll be in touch.

Again, thanks for your help!!!

Canuck,

I will not see him until about the 21st or 22nd, if I do speak to him before I'll let him know. He's a nice man,very helpful and very friendly.

Go to you PM please.