PDA

View Full Version : Gay hotels in Saphan Kwai

lonelywombat
June 3rd, 2007, 15:59
Friend of mine who passed away recently had made a point of staying in Saphan Kwai

He liked the thai style gay bars where the boys do not dance and dressed only in street clothes.

It is a long time since I was there and the main reason for visiting, was Midnight Cowboy

Naughty but nice reminded me with his new bar in bangkok post, but I do not know where he was talking about.

The hotel was gay friendly, close to the Saphan Kwai bars and the skytrain

Last time I was there, I stayed in a hotel that was owned by one of the owners of Utopia. The previous time, I think utopia was on the ground floor of a smaller hotel somewhere near Soi Cowboy.

I feel like a change next trip and am open to suggestions.

TrongpaiExpat
June 3rd, 2007, 16:21
Very few of the boys in the Saphan Kwai bar speak English, so unless you can speak some Thai there could be a problem. They seem more masculine, maybe more tops than soi Twilight boys. Most seem to smoke (cigarettes) and not sa-moke you too. The bars are poorly ventilated, full of smoke.

I don't mean to say that you can't find the boy of your dreams in Saphan Kwai.

Ahh, yes the Midnight cowboy, memories. We all though back then that this was the new up and coming area with the new BTS coming soon and that Patpong would die out as the place to go. We were wrong.

By the way, Naughty post was not on a Saphan Kwai bar if he meant Soi
Pramot, that's off Surawong.

lonelywombat
June 3rd, 2007, 17:47
V
By the way, Naughty's post was not on a Saphan Kwai bar if he meant Soi Pramot, that's off Surawong.

That was my feeling so I opened a new thread

Alaan
June 4th, 2007, 06:15
Like Lonleywombat, on my next trip to Thailand in early July I am staying in Saphan Kwai for 2-3 days as a change from Suri/Silom before I head off to Phuket. I'm not sure about exclusively gay hotels in the area, but I am staying at the Karnmanee Palace Hotel on Pradiphat Road [across from Eagle Boy bar] which, in my experience of it, is that it is gay neutral [i.e. they couldn't give a shit about who you take back] I have stayed here 3 times in the past 2-3 years and it has always been just fine.

I stay in their 'junior suite' which in reality is just a very large room with king size bed, sofa, table, writing table, large modern tv and plenty of wardrobe space. The bathroom is also huge with a shower over bath at one side of the bathroom as well as a Thai style wet room shower at the other side. The rooms as well as the hotel itself are a little 'tired' and not as lux as the website claims, but very comfortable all the same. Mostly Thais and businessmen stay there. No taxi/limo attached to the hotel, but as it is on a very busy road there are tons of taxis easy to flag down right outside the hotel.

One nice feature [if it is still operating] is a lovely rooftop restaurant, open to the sky with great views over the local area. The furniture is wooden as found in Thai country style pubs, and as my friend from Petchabun was delighted to discover, included a large number of Isaan speciality dishes including snake and frogs on the menu. There was also a small thai band or solo acoustic guitar/singer playing Thai country style songs unobrusively and it had a nice atmosphere.

The times I have visited, the staff have always been great, hardly giving a second glance to whoever you are with, they are usually so busy they often don't even look up as they hand over the room key, the reception/foyer always seems to be busy with people milling round.

Easy walking distance to the Saphan Kwai bars and not too far to the BTS. Although I haven't been to Saphan Kwai since last year I did get a PM from another forum member who visits regularly and he advised that the map and venues on the Dreadedned site are still current.

June 4th, 2007, 06:18
There is no such thing as a gay hotel in Saphan Kwai.

No hotel anywhere in Thailand gives a damn what sex your companion is. I can't believe some of you apparently haven't figured that out yet.

lonelywombat
June 4th, 2007, 07:03
Like Lonleywombat, on my next trip to Thailand in early July I am staying in Saphan Kwai I am staying at the Karnmanee Palace Hotel on Pradiphat Road [across from Eagle Boy bar] which, in my experience of it, is that it is gay neutral [i.e. they couldn't give a shit about who you take back] I have stayed here 3 times in the past 2-3 years and it has always been just fine.

Easy walking distance to the Saphan Kwai bars and not too far to the BTS. Although I haven't been to Saphan Kwai since last year I did get a PM from another forum member who visits regularly and he advised that the map and venues on the Dreadedned site are still current.

Thanks Alaan and Trongpaiexpat for your comments . I googled after Alaans post but could not work out where the gay bars were. I went to dreadedned and although this map is almost 3 years old, it is a great help

Interesting to see 2 saunas, Adonis and Farose that I did not know were so close, and more bars than I expected.

Is the Pradiphat Theatre one of those notorious "suck cinemas"

Thanks to www.dreadedned.com (http://www.dreadedned.com) for use of his map

Smiles
June 4th, 2007, 07:13
I Agree with Alaan:

The Karnmanee Hotel ( http://www.hotels2thailand.com/bangkok- ... -Hotel.asp (http://www.hotels2thailand.com/bangkok-hotels/Karnmanee-Place-Hotel.asp) ) is very good value for money at 1000-1300 baht range. Mediocre but quite OK breakfast is included. Close to Chatachuk Market and park. Three or four blocks from the Saphan Kwai gay bars. The place is showing it's age a bit now, but is still clean, quiet, friendly and they don't give a fig who you bring back. I doubt they charge a joiners fee, but am not 100% sure.

We've stayed at the Karnmanee many times and have always enjoyed (both the hotel itself and the very funky neighbourhood it's located in ... Pradiphat Rd is a delight for all types of streetside food)

In the same few blocks on Pradiphat you will also find the Mido Hotel and the Elizabeth Hotel, neither of which I've ever stayed in, but they look like being in the same reasonable price range as the Karnmanee.

And I also agree with Boygeenyus:

Iin almost every case, hotels in Thailand are not gay-unfriendly. On the other hand, rarely are they gay-only, and I'm am not aware of any which could be classed that way.

Cheers ... oops, looks like LonelyWombat got in there first with a good map of Saphan Kwai neighbourhood. LW .. that map may be a bit old. I believe the Pradiphat Theatre is either closed or gone. Some of the bars also may not be there anymore.
Expect the Saphan Kwai bars to be smaller, dumpier, and cheaper than places in Silom.

June 4th, 2007, 07:21
. . . and Boygeenyus . . . in almost every case, hotels in Thailand are not gay-unfriendly. On the other hand, rarely are they gay-only, and I'm am not aware of any which could be classed that way.

That's what I said, isn't it?

Smiles
June 4th, 2007, 07:23
Read it a little more carefully, dickhead. Start all the way at the top, and read it all the way down to the bottom. Especially take into consideration the underlined parts.

Cheers ..

June 4th, 2007, 07:52
Read it a little more carefully, dickhead. Start all the way at the top, and read it all the way down to the bottom. Especially take into consideration the underlined parts.

Cheers ..

Yesss....and it's still just what I said: no hotel in Thailand gives a damn if you come in with a male or female companion. Or do you have another definition for "not gay UN-friendly"?

Smiles
June 4th, 2007, 08:16
You're dense. I've changed it above so that it's now easier for the thick-headed to interpret my meaning.

When one agrees with the statement of another, often one will repeat the gist of the other person's point, for emphasis. I was not adressing you ... I was agreeing with you.

Anyway, it's changed now to reflect what I always intended . . . agreement with a point (i.e. the first point Alaan's, the second point yours).

Cheers ...

PS ... apolgies to Lonely Wombat for getting into a spat on his thread.

andrewcraig
June 4th, 2007, 10:26
Like Lonleywombat, on my next trip to Thailand in early July I am staying in Saphan Kwai I am staying at the Karnmanee Palace Hotel on Pradiphat Road [across from Eagle Boy bar] which, in my

Is the Pradiphat Theatre one of those notorious "suck cinemas"

The nearest suck cinema is Phahonyothin Theatre just near the victory monument

TrongpaiExpat
June 4th, 2007, 14:36
Stay clear of the Pradiphat Hotel. I went in there once to meet some friends in the karaoke room. It's a strange dark noisy hotel. There are rooms directly off this old worn Victorian looking parlor used for karaoke. They must keep the lights low so you can't see the place too clear or the strange looking farang customers.

Elizabeth is a little better, so I am told, no personal experience.

A few new romantic looking restaurants on and around Pradiphat Road. One called Som Tam Bangkok is good, seems most of the staff are gay.

Don't be put off from going in a place with a sign only in Thai. If you have money, your welcome.

June 4th, 2007, 14:39
Unless they have a new branch, Somtam Bangkok is on Phaholyothin Soi 7 (Soi Aree) -- not Pradiphat Road.

TrongpaiExpat
June 4th, 2007, 14:49
Whoops, yes, your correct. One stop BTS back from Saphan Kwai, not that far.

lonelywombat
June 4th, 2007, 15:09
Got a PM that suggested the hotel I stayed in owned by Utopia, would be Regency Park

which is off Sukhumvit. He also said there are a number of quality clubs for thai business men,

where the boys are well dressed and educated. You[I] will need a thai to introduce you into.

Sounds very very interesting.

The place in the other thread [new bar in BKK] seems to be beside or near the British Club.

June 4th, 2007, 15:15
He also said there are a number of quality clubs for thai business men,

where the boys are well dressed and educated. You[I] will need a thai to introduce you into.

Such complete and utter malarkey. He's probably talking about no more than Turning Point, Studio 982, etc., where foreigners are perfectly welcome. There is no place in Bangkok where a foreigner has to be "introduced into". Pure bullcrap.

June 4th, 2007, 17:11
Got a PM that suggested the hotel I stayed in owned by Utopia, would be Regency Park

which is off Sukhumvit. He also said there are a number of quality clubs for thai business men,

Sounds very very interesting.

The place in the other thread [new bar in BKK] seems to be beside or near the British Club.

The Regency is an Accor Hotel. Utopia has gone two years ago.

Saphan Kwai gay friendly is the Suda Palace hotel on Thanon Suttisan, it's OK, good value for money. The "Reflections" guesthouse is a stylish luxury boutique gay place for colour lovers, very cormfortable but a a price.

Asia Hotel is not gay but OK and fairly close. With direct bridge from hotel to Sky Train (BTS) Saphan kwai is less than 10 min away, costs 25 or 30 TBT.

June 4th, 2007, 17:12
He also said there are a number of quality clubs for thai business men,

quote]

Such complete and utter malarkey. He's probably talking about no more than Turning Point, Studio 982, etc., where foreigners are perfectly welcome. There is no place in Bangkok where a foreigner has to be "introduced into". Pure bullcrap.

BG,

What's wrong with you, it sounds good and secretive, as though you are doing something highly out of the ordinary!

How much do they charge for the secret introduction, I wonder???

One asks, are they all Freemasons??

All very mysterious, a bit like a spy thriller.

So, no going in there with a full fat wallet, waving your underpants around your head then???

The Isaarn boys would roll around laughing but not the Bangkok university types , I suppose

The Thai businessmen won't like it eh!!

June 4th, 2007, 17:16
The cloack and dagger BS is a product of lonelywombat's correspondent's imagination -- not mine.

lonelywombat
June 4th, 2007, 19:07
The cloack and dagger BS is a product of lonelywombat's correspondent's imagination -- not mine.

has boy smart ars ever offered any positive contribution to any post on this forum

any suggestion or recommendation

surely he cannot spend all his life and time on this forum, pouring shit on everyone and every suggestion

what a boring life he must have to sweat on every posting to show how clever he, is in his own mind

A legend in his own mind. A good description.

June 4th, 2007, 19:47
has boy smart ars ever offered any positive contribution to any post on this forum

Well, we could start on this very post. I helpfully pointed out that TrongpaiExpat's directions to a recommended restaurant were completely wrong -- like much of the dross that is posted here. The poor OP could have searched up and down Pradiphat Road for hours and still never found that restaurant.

So, what have you offered up lately?

TrongpaiExpat
June 4th, 2007, 19:51
Asia Hotel is not gay but OK and fairly close. With direct bridge from hotel to Sky Train (BTS) Saphan kwai is less than 10 min away, costs 25 or 30 TBT.

I have met quite a few Asian Gays (non-Thai) visiting Bangkok who tell me they are staying at the Asia Hotel.

lonelywombat: Don't let BG get under your skin, that's where he takes evil delight in being. Put him on {ignore} and deprive his satisfaction.

June 4th, 2007, 19:53
Put him on {ignore} and deprive his satisfaction.

Yeah, go ahead. Make my day.

June 4th, 2007, 21:05

No hotel anywhere in Thailand gives a damn what sex your companion is. .

True but their dissaproval is reflected in the joiners fees.

Try comparing The Tarntawan Place Hotel, The Montien and The Oriental Hotels' fees when you want to take a 'friend' back to your room.

June 4th, 2007, 21:08

Try comparing The Tarntawan Place Hotel, The Montien and The Oriental Hotels' fees when you want to take a 'friend' back to your room.

Do you know a hotel that imposes joiner fees on male companions, but not on females? Of course not.

We're talking about hotels that DISCRIMINATE AGAINST GAY PEOPLE, not against joiners of both sexes. The former does NOT exist in Thailand.

June 4th, 2007, 21:35

Do you know a hotel that imposes joiner fees on male companions, but not on females? Of course not.

We're talking about hotels that DISCRIMINATE AGAINST GAY PEOPLE, not against joiners of both sexes. The former does NOT exist in Thailand.

BG,

WRONG!

The Royal Cliff in Pattaya tried it for a while after the death of Fassbind, joiners fees for males accompanying Gay guests.

Only after a great deal of pressure and the power of the pink pound amongst their well heeled guests was this practice brought to an abrupt end.

Fassbind had attracted a great deal of wealthy gays to the Cliff, well heeled and Big spenders.

It was an attempt to wipe out some of the practices Fassbind encouraged and The lady owner had disapproved of.

That aside, discretion should always be applied in Hotels and public areas and environments and should be applied for the comfort of all patrons not only the Out and Proud brigade.

This saves embarrassing situations developing for Hotel management and the guest accompanying you.

June 4th, 2007, 21:42
We're not talking about something that may or may not have happened in the old days. We're talking now. Name a hotel that lets girl whores in for free, but charges boy whores.