PDA

View Full Version : Purchase of Jewelry and/or Gem Stones:

CHAOTOU
June 3rd, 2007, 06:26
Does anyone have experience with buying jewelry/gem stones in Thailand? If so, any recommendations on a good place? I usually find myself in Pattaya or Bangkok, so places in those areas would be most helpful. Thanks.

bucknaway
June 3rd, 2007, 07:05
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a337/blkcuteguy/DAM.gif

Dick
June 3rd, 2007, 08:18
If you are based in either the US, UK, or Germany, you might take a look at Gems TV. It's all hand made in Thailand, shipped and stocked to Gems TV warehouses and sold via the TV channels or internet in Europe/USA. You get a guarantee of authenticity and money back guarantee if you don't like what you buy. Good prices too. I've bought from them and have been most impressed.
Gems TV (http://www.gems.tv/infocenter.html?value_click=buyers)

In Bangkok I found a number of what appear to be reputable jewelers in Silom (not the Sala Daeng end, the end towards the Oriental Hotel/Chao Praya River) but let the buyer beware.

June 3rd, 2007, 09:39
I have bought many rings with diamonds, shaphires, and rubies from Honest Gems. I have, also, refered many friends to Honest Gems. Their quality is excellent and they are indeed HONEST. Most items have apprased for five to ten times their purchase price back in America. You can purchase most any item they have for about 1/2 of the price tag on the item. My partner and I bought our partnership rings from Honest Gems. Several of my friends have paid for their vacation by taking rings from Honest Gems home and reselling them. They have worked with the gay tourist and expat community for many years and have an excellent reputation. Honest Gems is locate on the Beach Road enterance to Boyz Town.

June 3rd, 2007, 10:08
I have bought many rings with diamonds, shaphires, and rubies from Honest Gems. I have, also, refered many friends to Honest Gems. Their quality is excellent and they are indeed HONEST. Most items have apprased for five to ten times their purchase price back in America. You can purchase most any item they have for about 1/2 of the price tag on the item. My partner and I bought our partnership rings from Honest Gems. Several of my friends have paid for their vacation by taking rings from Honest Gems home and reselling them. They have worked with the gay tourist and expat community for many years and have an excellent reputation. Honest Gems is locate on the Beach Road enterance to Boyz Town.

Soi 10 Tom,

That's also where I buy all of mine from.

I have bought for Tam, my Mother and Family, all the jewellery items are from there.

Kitty, the owner, is shrewd but fair and all his goods are quality and reputable.

He is also one of the first to give to PGF every year with many generous donations including sapphire and diamond rings as first prizes in lucky numbers.

You are also correct on your overseas and insurance values.

June 3rd, 2007, 15:46

Sorry Soi 10 Tom, what was the name of the place again? http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/biggrinangel.gif

G.

June 3rd, 2007, 16:25
I agree with Honest Gems. First Class.

tony279760-old
June 3rd, 2007, 17:36
I bought an 18k chain at Honest Gems in January and was very pleased with the service and price. Do any of you know whether they give you a grading certificate for any stones purchased covering the 4 Cs - Clarity, Colour and Cut and Carat weight.

June 3rd, 2007, 17:43
I bought an 18k chain at Honest Gems in January and was very pleased with the service and price. Do any of you know whether they give you a grading certificate for any stones purchased covering the 4 Cs - Clarity, Colour and Cut and Carat weight.

I don't,

Why not go back and ask Kitty the owner. He will know, and remind him you bought it there!

He gives out certificate verifying what he has sold is authentic.

June 3rd, 2007, 19:20
Central Gems Walking street is a good adress also. Ask for Patrick the owner Thai/chinese speaks exellent english. He has several shops in Pattaya. If you meet him, you wouldn't believe he is the owner.

June 3rd, 2007, 19:26
Central Gems Walking street is a good adress also. Ask for Patrick the owner Thai/chinese speaks exellent english. He has several shops in Pattaya. If you meet him, you wouldn't believe he is the owner.

Could be said about you!!

Get a decent pair of slacks and a nice shirt on for a change!! [I've seen wounds better dressed!]

CHAOTOU
June 3rd, 2007, 22:11
Thanks for the info on Honest Gems. I will check it out.

June 4th, 2007, 02:52

Could be said about you!!

Get a decent pair of slacks and a nice shirt on for a change!! [I've seen wounds better dressed!]

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/roflao.gif Well that is a new one for me and definitely going in my book of quotes. If he dressed like that as the owner of a bar in your old manor Kevin, he would be mistaken as the potman. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/biggrinangel.gif

Only pulling your todger Mr. Dragon, I know the special image that must be maintained whilst sat astride that beaut machine of yours. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/Lina2DRiding2D29K.gif Catch you during the week. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/smile.gif

Choc Dee mate,

George.

francois
June 4th, 2007, 03:05
Another reputable jewelry dealer is Mor Gems located at same corner as Honest Gems. They also provide certificates.

June 4th, 2007, 17:52
Bangkok Silom Soi 36 and surroundings is the place where you can find honest dealers who do wholesale and export / import businesses. The huge Gem City cannot be missed.

The whole gem stone marked in Thailand is controlled by 8 families which are somewhat tight together.

If you need some more information, have a word with the owners of excellent Heaven Sauna on 4th floor of Warner Building, Silom Soi 36. The owners are usually there after 20 hrs and are indeed well connected to the gem industry and might know just the right people for you.

bao-bao
June 4th, 2007, 22:48
While I was telling an older friend of mine here in the US about a visit to the massage school at Wat Po he mentioned a picture of him and his partner that was hanging in a jewelry store nearby. I was surprised enough that theyтАЩd actually been to LOS, but since I was interested in visiting a jeweler there without getting as miserable a clipping as IтАЩd had at one out-of-the-way barbershop I wrote down the name and looked them up on the web.

The place is called JohnyтАЩs Gems, and was quite a popular place with government and other military VIPs back during the Vietnam war. ItтАЩs not a fancy shop; the woodwork and cabinets are all rather dated looking, but they have a wide selection, all fairly priced (in my limited and humble opinion).

I was staying a ways away from the shop, and by the time the taxi found the place it was already 2pm, which put me short of time to get to see the solid gold Buddha at Wat Traimit before it closed for the day around 4. Since I hadnтАЩt finished deciding what I wanted to purchase, JohnyтАЩs folks allowed me to look about a bit and then took me in their van to the temple. Before taking me to the temple they took my hotel information and sent a car to pick me up the next morning at 10.

At 9:50 the next morning, my room phone rang and they were waiting downstairs for me. They offered me something to drink when I got there and asked if I was hungry. I wasnтАЩt, but finished choosing what I wanted to buy; including some pearls that needed to be re-strung and re-knotted to make the length needed. IтАЩd mentioned a planned stop at Wat Po for a massage after the shopping, so while they were doing that work by hand they again had their driver take me there and then return in two hours to bring me back to the shop.

When I got back I was hungry, so I took them up on their second offer of lunch. About 5 minutes after IтАЩd told them what I wanted, a woman brought a plate in from somewhere nearby and I had a fine meal sitting right at a display counter.

Lunch and business concluded they walked out front with me, flagged down a taxi, paid him in advance to take me to my hotel and thanked me again for visiting.

IтАЩve had my purchases appraised here and was very pleasantly surprised at their value.

By the way, my friend was right: his photo is hanging in the shopтАж and he had HAIR back then!!

http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/albumpics/2343.jpg

June 4th, 2007, 22:52
I wasnтАЩt, but finished choosing what I wanted to buy; including some pearls that needed to be re-strung and re-knotted to make the length needed.

I'm sure you look positively fetching in them, too.

bao-bao
June 4th, 2007, 23:05
Ignoring the wisdom of not feeding trolls:

When someone has a worthwhile addition or comment to a thread, fine.

It just seems like such a waste of the member's time to be spraying piss on so many threads with no real reason - rather like a stray Bangkok street mutt.

I suggest upping your meds or trying the decaf. :bounce:

(That was a somewhat clever comeback about the pearls, though!) :cheers: