PDA

View Full Version : Places you won't go into... Why?

bucknaway
May 31st, 2007, 23:33
I find it strange that for as many times as I have been to Thailand and walked past obvious gay bars, wondering what they were like inside but never taking the time to peek inside.

For the most part, I only visit places that I know about from the internet. Yes, I am sure that there were one or two bars that I have been in, but I am sure it was not by my own choice to go into them.

I imagine some of you regulars who live in Thailand do not depend on the internet as much as us 4 week visitors who try to make the most out of every short day we spend in Thailand.

I imagine that Krazy Dragon is going to put Sunee Plaza on the map with all of his Advertising.... Sure you guys living there know all about Sunee, but for us visitors.... I am sure most of us did not find Sunee on our first, second or third year vacation in Thailand.

I found Sunee by accident when I had to make a quick run back to Pattaya and needed a cheap room for one night and booked at Howard's. That is how I came to know about Sunee Plaza.

So when it comes to bars for me, I depend on the Internet and word of mouth to get me in the door.

What gets you in the door?

Doug
May 31st, 2007, 23:42
There are several places now which have priced themselves beyond their worth. I don't mind a higher price if the value is there but a lot of times it's just the same old, same old.

Marsilius
May 31st, 2007, 23:50
Before anyone says so, yes - I know it's a case of the proverbial cutting-off-my-nose-to-spite-my-face, but...

I haven't visited Boyz. Boyz, Boyz on principle since 1993. I was treated so rudely then by the staff (shifted out of my seat for a "Johnny Walker Black Label" customer, buying a drink for a boy who then shot off mid-drink to sit with another customer) that, having complained to no avail to the management, I vowed never to darken their doors again!

I know that the absence of just a single customer won't affect them at all, but I'd just feel small and humiliated by going in again after that treatment.

Thank God for the arrival of Crystal Boys!

Jetsam
June 1st, 2007, 00:11
Before anyone says so, yes - I know it's a case of the proverbial cutting-off-my-nose-to-spite-my-face, but...

I haven't visited Boyz. Boyz, Boyz on principle since 1993. I was treated so rudely then by the staff (shifted out of my seat for a "Johnny Walker Black Label" customer, buying a drink for a boy who then shot off mid-drink to sit with another customer) that, having complained to no avail to the management, I vowed never to darken their doors again!

I know that the absence of just a single customer won't affect them at all, but I'd just feel small and humiliated by going in again after that treatment.

Thank God for the arrival of Crystal Boys!

The thing that I don't like about BBB is that you seem to get a personal waiter , that will follow you wherever you go and he will check every 5 minutes if you finally have finished that drink so you can order another one and of course a big tip is expected for the "good care of farang"

jinks
June 1st, 2007, 02:21
In the long lost days of Cockpit, the waiters almost fought to have me in their section.

Buying a bottle, I had only to let go of my glass and it magically re filled.

No bill after paying for the bottle BUT a nice tip for the special service that I received.

{miss you Mike}

Aunty
June 1st, 2007, 15:57
Places I won't go into. A women's vagina.

Why?

Because I'm just not that kind of girl.

June 1st, 2007, 16:46
I won't be coy. If I can find someone to push my wheel chair I will go in anywhere.

June 1st, 2007, 18:11
Have to agree about the 'pushy and over-bearing' waiter service and obvious preference for big spenders in BBB. I too have not been in there for about four years.

Throb/Splash is now added to my list of 'do not enter' since the new management took over. They seem to have forgotten about their gay customers and are agressively catering mainly for the str8 gawkers and japanese/korean/chinese tour groups, with gay customers being asked to move seats to cater for these groups. The prices have also risen sharply (150 Baht for a small can of pineapple juice - outrageous!). The shows are repetative and jaded. Add to all that the boorish and inebriated behaviour of the owner and the place is now to be avoided. I used to spend at least a couple of hours in there every night and regularly 'offed' one of their boys but it is now sadly not patch on what it was when Kevin was there.

Smiles
June 1st, 2007, 19:44
" ... the waiters almost fought to have me in their section. Buying a bottle, I had only to let go of my glass and it magically re filled. No bill after paying for the bottle BUT a nice tip for the special service that I received ... "
Don't look now jinks, but the Raj ended in 1947 . . . some would say in 1918 actually.

Running around the world desperately looking for a waiter or a Special Place to cater to your whims, put a lily in your gin & tonic, and assume the waiter or barman will follow you (discretely, 5 minutes behind) to your suite with just a subtle movement of a finger on the table.
Sad, very sad.

Cheers ...

June 1st, 2007, 19:53
" ... the waiters almost fought to have me in their section. Buying a bottle, I had only to let go of my glass and it magically re filled. No bill after paying for the bottle BUT a nice tip for the special service that I received ... "
Don't look now jinks, but the Raj ended in 1947 . . . some would say in 1918 actually.

Running around the world desperately looking for a waiter or a Special Place to cater to your whims, put a lily in your gin & tonic, and assume the waiter or barman will follow you (discretely, 5 minutes behind) to your suite with just a subtle movement of a finger on the table.
Sad, very sad.

Cheers ...

They should bring it back Smiles,[ The Raj] if you ask me! Don't say it, you didn't ask me.

donald1
June 1st, 2007, 21:05
I walked out of there 3 years ago in the middle of her third number and told the doorman i will be back when she is gone? Is it safe yet?

June 1st, 2007, 21:20
I walked out of there 3 years ago in the middle of her third number and told the doorman i will be back when she is gone? Is it safe yet?

donald1,

Talentless is a matter of opinion, She was meant to be a laugh and she certainly was! It was never the intention for her to be taken seriously.

She was different, very funny at that time, copied by other bars throughout Pattaya and received more tips than any other showboy!

We used to get e mails and requests for her to perform certain numbers and groups would book seats to watch her and spend and tip plenty.

To answer your question, No, she doesn't work there anymore, she left with the exodus of the other showboys.

Please judge for yourself the NEW show. It is a matter of taste.

June 1st, 2007, 22:23

I take it, you were referring to a Thai and not the English choreographer????? :toothy2:

June 1st, 2007, 23:01
I will not be returning after a January visit to Throb. A boy came down off of the stage without request..plopped his ass down, would not leave, and demanded that I buy him a drink. I left...never to return.

Jetsam
June 1st, 2007, 23:47
I will not be returning after a January visit to Throb. A boy came down off of the stage without request..plopped his ass down, would not leave, and demanded that I buy him a drink. I left...never to return.

It seems the only reason worth for visiting Boyz town these days is funny boys , I never liked Panorama with their pushy and ugly staff.

June 2nd, 2007, 00:15

Hi,

Its sad to hear, it never used to be that way, I had weekly meetings with the staff. It is a complete 100% effort by all of us all the time to keep it running well.

They were not even allowed to approach customers without being invited.

I did spend a lot of time with the Manager, and he knew my policies as they were written in tablets of stone.

When,on the very odd occasion I was not there, Tam was.

June 2nd, 2007, 07:40
I use to truly enjoy the shows at Throb/Splash when the original fat performer entertained on stage. She has readily identifiable talents both on stage and just about everywhere. Once while sitting with friends on the terrace at LCR in the afternoon - she came bounding down the middle of Soi 3 from Second Road and did a triple front handspring in perfect form on her way toward the door of Throb/Splash....absolutely made everyone's day.

I once tried to throw water from a hotel room window on Lek as he shouted "Show, Show, Show" at the top of his lungs seemingly all night long. After a few visits of hearing him bark endlessly in the evenings, I walked up to him in the street and began chatting with him. I offed him and found him to be a really bright, delightful and charming dinner and bar-hopping companion.

Lately things have declined rapidly in my opinion. I agree with Donald that the hefty ladyboy performer that has been there for the last few years is a total turn-off. There's a difference between entertaining and grotesque. I agree with other posters as well that the new management is below par, often obnoxious and the boys very unattractive.

It was the case before and still is in my opinion that the boys advertising the show in the street are much better looking than the wait staff and performers inside.

June 2nd, 2007, 08:31
Stargaze/Donald,

I think I am understanding now.

It is possible Donald is referring to the second hefty ladyboy, that joined, about three years ago, not OH, the original one.

If that's what you mean Donald, She is still there, OH, has left.

The New owners changed the shows completely, to a ladyboy show.

The fun goes out when you have ladyboys who are trying to use a venue as a springboard to what they think is a future at Alcazar or Tiffany's and they start to believe they are budding superstars. [ This applies to all venues which have ladyboys]

We had always had the view, that Boyztown didn't need that as that type of show was catered for, and to a higher standard by the way, at BBB, if you like those type of shows.I don't.

We provided a male review/show,the only ladyboys in there were for humour and the joke songs.

Both Mark and I,spent a lot of hours with the original showboys and many hours of practice went in to the shows, they were funny, original, and the boys performed for Hard Rock Cafe, Eastern seaboard and various charitable functions and parties in the Chonburi district.

Whether or not people liked it, the "bums on seats" told the story and we were busy.

A lot of the go go boys moved on also,as you stated, but that can just be they don't like new rules,new style of management, change, or something like that.

June 2nd, 2007, 17:24

I take it, you were referring to a Thai and not the English choreographer?????
Crikey, I thought Donald1 was referring to one of the Dolly Sisters ! (take your pick - they are both talentless :geek: ).

June 2nd, 2007, 21:30
Those were the good old days.
Arrive at Throb at 9pm. Order bottle of Black and wait for BS to arrive. Then all the showboys would join me for a drink also.
Mark would arrive and have a nice chat and a few drinks .Kevin would be on outside sitting at the bar. The shows where great and the atmosphere was electric.

Things started going downhill when Mark left as Kevin was not a show person. He held it together as well as he could then even though he had very bad health.

Now would not step foot inside the place. Last time i was there was February. Kevin was sitting outside with the new owners. I told Kevin , how rubbish the place was now and he introduced me to the new owners(foot in mouth). They said big changes was on the way for the better. But all i have heard is bad changes.

Now go to Wild west. No way as good but where else is there?

June 3rd, 2007, 03:51

I am sure Donald could not possibly be talking about O. She/he was absolutely fabulous, as were the rest of the members in the show, in what I assume Sin City Queen refers to as the good old days. When ever I had friends or family visiting from overseas, about three years ago and before, I always made a point of taking them to the show at Throb. I honestly don't remember, when there was ever an occasion when somebody in my group, didn't thoroughly enjoy the show, along with also having had a fabulous evening.

I am inclined to agree with SCQ, they really were the good old days. As those days also seem unlikely to ever be repeated from what I have read in posts here and even worse, seem to have also gone downhill quite considerably since Kevin's departure, I am glad I have not been a visitor of late to Throb to witness it's decline. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/frown.gif

G.

donald1
June 3rd, 2007, 07:38
To set the record straight....my last time at Throb was within the last 3 years. So apparently it was the replacement "drag".

Wish I would have seen OH, as I do enjoy a funny, talented drag...(although to be honest when I go to a bar in thailand I am looking for guys in their undies who can be funny and talented).....you are right, its a matter of taste and I know what tastes good.

June 3rd, 2007, 09:20
To set the record straight....my last time at Throb was within the last 3 years. So apparently it was the replacement "drag".

Wish I would have seen OH, as I do enjoy a funny, talented drag...(although to be honest when I go to a bar in thailand I am looking for guys in their undies who can be funny and talented).....you are right, its a matter of taste and I know what tastes good.

Good to hear you are a man that knows what he likes Donald, on the boy front that is. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/hump.gif In view of your comments about O, I am sure that you would have loved the show when he was involved in it. He really was extremely talented and more than just funny, he was a scream.

I have no idea if he is still working in Pattaya, as I haven't seen him in over three years. Perhaps Kevin may be able to throw some light on what he is doing these days. I would certainly put myself out to go and see him if he was working somewhere local.

Choc Dee Donald. May you come across many boys in undies, who are both funny and talented.

G.

June 3rd, 2007, 09:47

Good to hear you are a man that knows what he likes Donald, on the boy front that is. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/hump.gif In view of your comments about O, I am sure that you would have loved the show when he was involved in it. He really was extremely talented and more than just funny, he was a scream.

I have no idea if he is still working in Pattaya, as I haven't seen him in over three years. Perhaps Kevin may be able to throw some light on what he is doing these days. I would certainly put myself out to go and see him if he was working somewhere local.

Dear George,

Oh has gone back to Khorat and has been helping his family on the market.[ Not sure if he's doing hand spins to keep the shoppers amused.!!]

He is a big pal of Tam's, my partner, and has said as soon as we have ideas to open again, he is with us as soon as we call.

Mark and a lot of the showboys, are bored, sitting on their hands,they are in contact regularly as well.

I will see what they say at Bumrungrad towards the end of this month, although I feel 1,000% better, than I did

Marsha-old
June 3rd, 2007, 16:38
It seems to me that the new owner does not listen to his clientele at Throb. The place is now empty most nights.

Going back 3 years as it has been said there was not a chair free to be had. The show was very entertaining and both host were very welcoming. Had some of the best party nights in Pattaya at Throb.As SCQ states, those were the days. Glad to hear Kevin that you may bring back the winning team and open again.

I went to the last event at Throb and the new owner was compere. Very rude and unwelcome Had heard things got bad, only went because it was a charity event. Now shall not go back

June 4th, 2007, 21:36
I won't go into any of the little hole in the wall places in the same area as Golden Cock, There is seedy and sleazy and then there is SEEDY AND SLEAZY. I don't have anything against bars like that or the people who visit them but I won't go there again. I went one time with a friend who worked at the US Embassy and I hated it.

I had the feeling that the bars in that area might just have a 12 year old boy chained to a wall in a back room for your pleasure. Creepy and I was worried that the police would raid the place at any moment.

ajarntrade

June 4th, 2007, 21:42
I won't go to any place that has a predominance of ladyboys.

They are cartoon characters of the steroetype that all gay men are feminine. When one of them comes near me I shoo them away as though I was swatting at a flying bug. I want sex with a MAN not a male who acts, dresses and wants to be a woman. If I wanted sex with a woman I'd go and get one... yuck.

Plus... They are ANNOYING as all hell!

ajarntrade

June 5th, 2007, 02:08
Mark and a lot of the showboys, are bored, sitting on their hands,they are in contact regularly as well.

I will see what they say at Bumrungrad towards the end of this month, although I feel 1,000% better, than I did

And it says a lot when they'd rather sit on their hands... recently got back to pattaya ... used to go to Throb regularly, but after a couple of visits this time never again ... no customers... boring shows (although some cute boys), acts who think the are the bees knees, when in fact they are some of the worst I've seen.

Although i gather Tong is one of the showboys not sitting on his hands and has opened a restaurant in Nongprue

June 5th, 2007, 02:16
It seems to me that the new owner does not listen to his clientele at Throb. The place is now empty most nights.

Going back 3 years as it has been said there was not a chair free to be had. The show was very entertaining and both host were very welcoming. Had some of the best party nights in Pattaya at Throb.As SCQ states, those were the days. Glad to hear Kevin that you may bring back the winning team and open again.

I went to the last event at Throb and the new owner was compere. Very rude and unwelcome Had heard things got bad, only went because it was a charity event. Now shall not go back

I chatted to some of teh waiters and doormen I know... there comment was no customers, every night same

catawampuscat
June 5th, 2007, 12:38
There always seemed to be an attitude that it was the best bar in Pattaya and had the best boys. The waitstaff even had
the attitude and it was never a friendly bar except for big spending regulars.

It is annoying to be served a small glass of soda water which costs 6B. or 8B. and be charged 150B. and not even be given
the bottle.. same for a diet coke, no can given ,just a small glass. Of course, it is meant to force you to buy a second
drink as the small glass is probably 6 ounces.

I was annoyed by this and when the bin came for 150B. and I gave the waiter 150B. he glared at me with the bin fold open
waiting for a tip. He actually tried to intimidate me to shell out a tip but the service was surly, the drink tiny and overpriced
and the bar smoky and unfriendly.
I thought about complaining to the management but I think this is management policy and you can keep the drag queen shows
and the attitude.

I really hate the aggressive doorman at Throb/Splash and the show was so old that the dancers were using canes and walkers
to reach the stage and most needed liposuction. Sorry Kevin, but the show was a one time only for tourists/women and smoky
and uncomfortable(weak a/c) and pushy pushy pushy.
There will always be some who love fat drag queens but it gets old fast for most of us .

lonelywombat
June 5th, 2007, 12:45
T
I thought about complaining to the management but I think this is management policy and you can keep the drag queen shows and the attitude.

I really hate the aggressive doorman at Throb/Splash and the show was so old that the dancers were using canes and walkers
to reach the stage and most needed liposuction. Sorry Kevin, but the show was a one time only for tourists/women and smoky

There will always be some who love fat drag queens

but it gets old fast for most of us .

Yes we know cat but we love fat drag queens like you and you are always welcome

We also know and notice that you are getting old fast, but have been too polite to mention it

Being an old drag queen with attitude and getting older by the day must be [a drag]

Stick with Kaos.

catawampuscat
June 5th, 2007, 15:44
It seems that some posters on this forum have decided what bars catawampuscat goes to and doesn't go to.
With some posters on hiatus, others come forward with the same nonsense and describe my appearance and
what bars I go to.

[name deleted]you are wrong and I seem to recall a pathetic pm from you, a while back, begging me to make a minor
change in a posting, as some might have inferred it was about you. I did as you asked and now realize what
a waste of time you are.

For the record, I do not like Kaos and do not go to the bar. There have been numerous (like 5 or 6) postings which
are about what bars this poster goes to and then many from those who know me, that the claims are incorrect.

Wombat must be just stupid to continue this nonsense and for the record wombat , I am not fat and I am not
a queen but I am sure you were just looking in the mirror when you posted your little hateful missive. Batty? 100%
:cat:

June 5th, 2007, 17:27

There will always be some who love fat drag queens but it gets old fast for most of us .

Hi Cat,

Some of your post I go along with and some not.

The A/C was not only more than adequate for the size of the bar, Altogether, I employed four handymen [ including, the Hotel] cleaning the said A/C was on their weekly list of jobs as was the smoke extractor.

We were possibly the only bar to have smoke extractors, most bars still don't have them now.

The doormen , I found, were loud and boisterous, true, but neither aggressive nor intimidating, I used to sit out there most evenings,on the terrace bar, to make sure they were doing their job

The show, I have admitted before on the board, we hit a period where I was very seriously unwell,which lasted over a year, [with Radiation treatment, the operations and so on] I tried to get someone else in, and indeed ended up promoting a Thai show boy to run the show, that worked, short term only!!!

People forget also, My responsibilities did not end with the show only.

I also had the Body Club and many aspects of keeping standards in my side of the Hotel.

Ian Mcknight in the office had died, Tom Kalb, the new assistant manager was just learning the job and Big Ian Read was seriously ill, in and out of Hospital, till his death. Finally Robbie, who developed cancer of the mouth.

The last one and a half years were a walking nightmare for me. But, that was still my responsibility at that time, and I did my best.

I was glad to get out in the end, and at that point in time, you certainly feel very much alone and at the same time you are keeping up appearances, as people are on holiday and don't need or want to hear about these tragedies.

So yes, at the back end, The show was left a while longer than I wanted, without introducing new stuff and I was in no position to drag my " overweight show boys" to the GYM!

Anyway, that was then, this is now.

Believe me, anyone thinking you open the doors and get money, does not want to be going into that business.

I AM AMAZED AT CALLING AT SOME PLACES TO SEE THE OWNER, AND YOU GET, HE IS OUT FOR DINNER, ON HOLIDAY, GONE TO A PARTY, ON HOLIDAY AGAIN ETC.

You lose those privileges if you want to be successful in a cut throat business in Pattaya.

June 5th, 2007, 22:39
For what it's worth, I'd like to say I had good memories of Throb/Splash before the changeover to new management. Kquill gets my applause. Sure, if one wishes to be picky, one can always find faults, but the final test is this: that each time I visited Pattaya, I almost always had a reasonably good time at his bar, and looked forward to being back.

I have run a service business myself with high numbers of walk-in customers and at times unreliable staff. I can totally sympathise with kquill. There are a thousand and one things that can go wrong and need attending to behind the scenes. There are 3 hours of preparatory, maintenance, stock-replenishment, training, rehearsal or clean-up work for every hour that the place is open for business. As an owner-manager, you can forget about vacation or even weekends. However, everybody else thinks that somehow the business can run itself. It won't even run 2 hours by itself, trust me.

At some point, you have to say, as kquill obviously did: Enough. Thanks for the memories.

June 5th, 2007, 22:55
What bars in Boyztown and nearby sois are worth the price of admission these low season days? How is that new Gacuya location? Same boys?

June 5th, 2007, 23:01
What bars in Boyztown and nearby sois are worth the price of admission these low season days? How is that new Gacuya location? Same boys?

Jingthing,

What price of admission??? There isn't one.

macaroni 21,

Thanks. You are also spot on with your analysis of the situation.

June 5th, 2007, 23:33

Jingthing,

macaroni 21,

You are so literal.
Of course there is a price of admission! At least one obscenely overpriced drink.

June 5th, 2007, 23:54

Jingthing,

macaroni 21,

You are so literal.
Of course there is a price of admission! At least one obscenely overpriced drink.

Jingthing,

I am sorry, I disagree with you.

Market forces dictate prices, if people don't think it is value for money, they don't go.

The bars in boyztown are busy, call it location, shows, whatever you want, they are busy.

Do you expect to pay the same at "Joe's beer bar" which offers nothing except a fan cooled, open air bar with no entertainment??

Yeah sure, they'll be selling at 70/80 baht, you get what you pay for.

Ask the Royal Cliff when they are doing rooms or meals 2 for 1 or when is the happy hour in the Grand!!

Are the staff offable??

I think you can predict the response.

Boyztown aims at the tourist market and does not apologize for it.

Drinks being more expensive is not an admission charge, literal or not, it is a fact.

June 6th, 2007, 00:52
OK, I can sit more than five seconds in a bar and not order a drink? Of course not. So at least one drink is indeed a virtual cover charge. Look, only alkies really care about your damn drinks. I can buy cheap booze at the 7/11. Its not the same as buying food in a restaurant. The drinks are your profit center so that we can get to the flesh you are selling. Don't go on about your drag queen shows. They are all crap. This isn't Broadway. This isn't Las F-in Vegas. Your go go bars are whore houses, deal with it. Whore house owners may indeed be the cream of Pattaya society, but at the end of the day, they are flesh peddlers, pimps.

I also think the prices have gotten too high. If all drinks were 100 baht for basic drinks, I personally think bars would be even busier and sell more drinks. We all know the product cost for those crappy drinks is almost nothing. I know I would buy more drinks if they were priced at 100 baht. Probably more boy drinks and offs too. Bars don't know about the business they are losing by this greedy pricing. There are other ways to find what they are really selling -- flesh. If you are a tourist and don't know, just walk along the Pattaya Tai market at 1 am. There you will find half the boy whores in town eating noodles. You can pick up many kinds of fresh fruit there. For free, except the "tip".

But that isn't my question. Customers all know there is indeed a cover charge for sitting down in a bar, so my question is, currently, now in low season, which bars are really worth going into? Not just the Ambiance soi, the other sois down there as well please.

June 6th, 2007, 01:12
OK, I can sit more than five seconds in a bar and not order a drink? Of course not. So at least one drink is indeed a virtual cover charge. Look, only alkies really care about your damn drinks. I can buy cheap booze at the 7/11. Its not the same as buying food in a restaurant. The drinks are your profit center so that we can get to the flesh you are selling. Don't go on about your drag queen shows. They are all crap. This isn't Broadway. This isn't Las F-in Vegas. Your go go bars are whore houses, deal with it.

I also think the prices have gotten too high. If all drinks were 100 baht for basic drinks, I personally think bars would be even busier and sell more drinks. We all know the product cost for those crappy drinks is almost nothing. I know I would buy more drinks if they were priced at 100 baht. Probably more boy drinks and offs too. Bars don't know about the business they are losing by this greedy pricing. There are other ways to find what they are really selling -- flesh.

But that isn't my question. Customers all know there is indeed a cover charge for sitting down in a bar, so my question is, currently, now in low season, which bars are really worth going into? Not just the Ambiance soi, the other sois down there as well please.

you can spend 5 seconds or more looking in the bar and deciding if you want to sit down and order a drink. If you have decided to go in then fine you should order a drink. Yes if you want to sit and watch the show then it is reasonable that you should buy a drink. Don't forget the bars have to cover their costs... yes the basic drinks cost is low, but they are paying for the premises, air con staff etc etc etc... and 150Bht is not just in boyztown.

June 6th, 2007, 01:21
I don't have a problem with it. I do think the owners are greedy and potentially reducing their profits by greedy pricing. That is their right. Sometimes I wonder if a basic rules of economics, increased volume and lower pricing can mean greater profits, is understood in Thailand. I still see this as a cover charge, the cost of me maybe doing my bizness at a particular whorehouse. It is the overhead for the customer. The second drink and whatever you spend later is not a cover charge, but the first one is required. You cannot be there without buying it, so it is indeed a virtual though not literal cover charge. I think if you really rack your whisky-riddled brains you can get this. It isn't that hard.

But enough already, which are the best places these days in that area?

Jetsam
June 6th, 2007, 01:21
I also think the prices have gotten too high. If all drinks were 100 baht for basic drinks, I personally think bars would be even busier and sell more drinks.

There you have your answer , tourists don't really care if they pay 100 or 150 baht for a drink, it's holliday right, burp....

June 6th, 2007, 02:21
I also think the prices have gotten too high. If all drinks were 100 baht for basic drinks, I personally think bars would be even busier and sell more drinks.

There you have your answer , tourists don't really care if they pay 100 or 150 baht for a drink, it's holliday right, burp....
Yes, that is true.
So, again, any recent experiences to report in any of these bars, Boyztown and nearby sois?

June 6th, 2007, 08:03
Kevin, curious: what percentage of the drink price goes into the pockets of the authorities as "facilitation payments"?

June 6th, 2007, 08:54
Firstly, the best and nicest boy I have ever known I offed from Throp about three or four years ago. He was with me for ten days. Sadly we did not exchange addresses or phone numbers, something I have regretted ever since. Of course the next visit I made he was gone.

I am a tourist and I don't mind spending money - that's what I'm on holiday for, but the drink prices are way too high. I, (and I speak only for myself) will go into a bar and buy the first drink only because I have to. I make that last all evening and rarely buy drinks for the boys. If I felt I was getting a fair deal I would do as I do in virtually every other establishment I go into, be it New York, London or Berlin, and drink probably far more than I should. If the prices in Bangkok and Pattaya were reasonable, I know I would buy far more for myself and the boys who come to sit by me. (One clarification, I buy a drink for the boy I have invited to sit with me, never for those who come uninvited).

The low cost airlines in the UK/Ireland are making record profits because they have pitched their prices low enough to make people believe they are getting a good deal, the people respond by traveling far more often because of this, The result, Ryanair is making record profits with full aircraft whilst BA is struggling (telling us we are getting quality if we fly with them) but rarely with a full aircraft. It's bums on seats that count and people respond if they believe they are getting a good deal.

I have become so dissatisfied with the bar scene that I rarely go into one anymore. I prefer to use a massage establishment, and I have discovered a couple that are very good. The end result? I get what I want with hardly a dud for less than I would spend if I got the boy from a bar.

The bar owners can keep trying to justify their prices but it doesn't seem to fill their bars.

bucknaway
June 6th, 2007, 09:30
I am the same way.. When I use to go to Throbb, I would buy one drink and tip 20 baht, I would tip one dancer 100 baht on my way out. I had fun, had a drink and saw a show and tipped a guy.

When I go to Krazy Dragon, I go in with a fist full of 20 baht notes and handed them out hand over fist, bought drinks for myself and a few dancers and when it was all over I was shocked how cheap it all was.

That night I decided I would go back the following night and increase my budget with my first night being my guide. And the when the next night came, I went in and the place was PACKED! :bom:

I was not mad at Throbb for their way of doing business.. I would go to Throbb/Splash, watch a show and look at guys and it only cost me the price of one drink, tip and dancer tip.

If Throbb/Splash had KrazyDragon prices, I don't think I would have been able to get inside to see the show because the locals would never leave...

June 6th, 2007, 10:08
I am the same way.. When I use to go to Throbb, I would buy one drink and tip 20 baht, I would tip one dancer 100 baht on my way out. I had fun, had a drink and saw a show and tipped a guy.

When I go to Krazy Dragon, I go in with a fist full of 20 baht notes and handed them out hand over fist, bought drinks for myself and a few dancers and when it was all over I was shocked how cheap it all was.

That night I decided I would go back the following night and increase my budget with my first night being my guide. And the when the next night came, I went in and the place was PACKED! :bom:

I was not mad at Throbb for their way of doing business.. I would go to Throbb/Splash, watch a show and look at guys and it only cost me the price of one drink, tip and dancer tip.

If Throbb/Splash had KrazyDragon prices, I don't think I would have been able to get inside to see the show because the locals would never leave...

Bucknaway,

You are going into completely different areas now.

Throb/Splash, BBB are far more expensive tp operate and set up than Sunnee Plaza, which, incidentally, the bars are on very cheap leases from Madam Sunnee and operating costs a lot lower.

They are not paying for costumes, salaried showboys, advertising in these areas, large charity events regularly with sponsorships by ourselves, and full -on expected donations, to every City Hall and Police event.

We could not ever, get away with some of the antics that occur in Sunnee, in Pattayaland Soi 3, not that I would want to.

Regards a comment on crappy drinks, I sold only brand names, Johnny walker Black label, Gordons Gin, etc etc. and I most certainly did not give 6oz glasses either.

Also, if you ordered a diet coke you were given the can and soft drinks were markedly cheaper than drinks with spirits.

So, therefore, many of the boards comments are generalisations on many other bars, NOT how we operated!

I also, as I have stipulated in previous threads,did not sell "boys drinks" and did not encourage it, nor give a percentage to the boys of the price of the drink.

Throb/Splash, BBB,Ambiance, Le Cafe Royale are owned [ That is Land, buildings and properties ] so the set up costs were massive to start with.

Also Bucknaway, Crazy Pub, with at least one of the same owners involved then , who is there now, did not operate the present policy. The drinks were a lot higher.

With regards the Powers that be,

I really dare not go into it too much, even though I am gone, it is a delicate area.

Needless to say, it was substantial, and its better for myself and for present operators that I keep very quiet on this subject.

bucknaway
June 6th, 2007, 10:38
During your time there, I can tell you that I felt the hotel and bar was a class act operation! When I went back home and thought about my time in Thailand, Splash/Throbb was always one of the first things I remembered and told others about.

If I had the place I imagine I would want to operate it much as it was being operated!

Now about the things that go on in Sunee???? No, don't tell me. I don't go in for the things that could get me thrown into the clink... I just like to have good clean fun :)

June 6th, 2007, 10:54
With regards the Powers that be,

I really dare not go into it too much, even though I am gone, it is a delicate area.

Needless to say, it was substantial, and its better for myself and for present operators that I keep very quiet on this subject.

As thought. This should be something to think about for any potential customer who considers themselves to be against corruption.

June 6th, 2007, 11:22
Which bars to go into?

I relied on my friends to tell me.
But then again, it's easy enough to go into a bar, have a drink and move on if you want.
The corner bar is always a good place to sit to get your bearings, and the eye candy is some of the best.

The problem (or the bonus!) with Sunee is that there is always next door, or somewhere around the corner or .....

So no matter where you go, there is always the chance, you missed out on something somewhere else.

Muy bpien Ruy :rabbit:

lonelywombat
June 6th, 2007, 13:09
I

I seem to recall a pathetic pm from you, a while back, begging me to make a minor change in a posting, as some might have inferred it was about you. I did as you asked and now realize what
a waste of time you are.

Wombat must be just stupid to continue this nonsense and for the record wombat , I am not fat and I am not
a queen but I am sure you were just looking in the mirror when you posted your little hateful missive. Batty? 100%

First this a chance for you to prove how accurate you are and not suffering poor memory You have my permission to reproduce the 2 PMs from me and your response to demonstrate you do not gild the lily, a la LMTU'

Secondly are you still taking Sibutramine Hydrochloride Monohydrate for your weight or Reduce_15

http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/fo ... html#75656 (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/queries-about-thai-boys-who-go-to-the-army-t7794.html#75656)

Marsilius
June 6th, 2007, 14:42
It is clearly a case of "horses for courses".

Personally, I do everything possible to avoid places with "costumes [and] salaried showboys" - but recognise from full houses that others do like them.

I do find it odd, though, that Kevin says that the Boyztown bars are into "large charity events regularly with sponsorships by ourselves" whereas Sunee bars are not. Why is that? Do saints run the former and mere sinners the latter? Is it just that the Boyztown bars make more money and so can afford to give it away? Do their customers demand to pay higher prices in order to give indirectly to charity? Or is it simple PR?

catawampuscat
June 6th, 2007, 18:06
womb,
1- I don't need your permission to reproduce pms and couldn't be bothered.
2-perhaps, you are still smarting from my refusal to accept a drink from you (also pm)
3-dragging lmtu into this nonsense doesn't help, just muddies the swamp.
4-you were the one who started the name calling, describing this poster as a fat queen
and telling me what bars I go to.
look in the mirror wombie. just hope you don't see earwig. :drunken:

June 6th, 2007, 18:14
It is clearly a case of "horses for courses".

Personally, I do everything possible to avoid places with "costumes [and] salaried showboys" - but recognise from full houses that others do like them.

I do find it odd, though, that Kevin says that the Boyztown bars are into "large charity events regularly with sponsorships by ourselves" whereas Sunee bars are not. Why is that? Do saints run the former and mere sinners the latter? Is it just that the Boyztown bars make more money and so can afford to give it away? Do their customers demand to pay higher prices in order to give indirectly to charity? Or is it simple PR?

Hi Marsilius,

Nope,
I would love to claim the Saints halo, but not only would this board reject it, so would all Pattaya.

It may have started as a goodwill/ PR gesture, yes, possibly.

This was soon and very quickly overtaken by the needs of the community and the overriding factor, there was no budgets and/or monies allocated to help these people.

Boyztown has been a major influence on this and the major impact on begging prizes from sponsors and getting people to dig deep was the work of Jim Lumsden. That cannot be denied.

A lot of Throb/Splash charity works were outside or on the far boundaries of Pattaya as well as doing our bit within.

Indeed, three charity events at Rayong Orphanage, Jing Jai Orphanage, Banglamung, Chonburi as well as the famous Pattaya Orphanage were hardly going to get us on the front cover of Pattaya Mail or the other newspapers as we were off their news coverage map.

Your other point on pricing, I already said, Boyztown was and to a large extent is, catering for the tourists, the well heeled who like it down there, and people free and easy on holiday.

Customers may vote with their feet, but are not permitted to dictate price structures and what is and is not the correct charge. The correct charge is what the market accepts.

Bangkok charges are far higher in the Go Go bars for both drinks and offs, and they are not going to listen that if they lower their prices to 100 baht, people will drink more.

They are paying premium prices for small spaces, and they need the margins to survive with all the "extra" costs that they incur.

Marsilius
June 6th, 2007, 18:38
Thanks, Kevin.

But why do "the needs of the community and the overriding factor, [the fact that] there was no budgets and/or monies allocated to help these people" weigh, in your view, on the consciences of the Boyztown owners but not the Sunee owners (who, you have already said, do not get into such initiatives)? .

June 6th, 2007, 19:30
Thanks, Kevin.

But why do "the needs of the community and the overriding factor, [the fact that] there was no budgets and/or monies allocated to help these people" weigh, in your view, on the consciences of the Boyztown owners but not the Sunee owners (who, you have already said, do not get into such initiatives)? .

Hi Marsilius,

I really can't in honesty answer that,because I don't know.

When I was in Boyztown, we would have loved them to get involved and take the pressure off us a little.

It would have looked slightly better and also, people would not have been saying, Oh, No, here we go again, in Boyztown.

I mean they [ Sunnee owners ] could have been targeting a market to donate possibly, of people who do not use Boyztown.

They do not really seem to work together, but that can also be said about other Pattayaland Sois.

It has definitely got much more difficult to do fund raising events, that's why they have been reduced by the committee.

Jomtien have now managed to work together and formed a team to do PGF events and are trying and doing a good job of it.

June 8th, 2007, 07:31
That old drag queen is a pathetic person, and I feel sorry for him/her and we always give a nice tip to her............we've seen her at Tawan many times over the past 5 years